Who have you cruised with?

Petoonya

Cruised with any regulars on the O board- or any other board for that matter? It always intrigues me when I see some regulars refer to past cruises with one another. Many seem to have cruised with the ephemeral Jancruz who sounds like fabulous company. There are so many here I'd love to meet or dine with. Love to share a laugh or pick their brains- buddies that unfortunately I'll never meet. Funny how you can be at opposite ends of the room politically/socially, but that body's persona is disarming. It's been ten years since I cruised Celebrity, but I still chat with a kind gentleman from years back.

It's just idle conversation, and pure nosiness, but who have you cruised with?

Posters on this Forum make up a tiny percentage <1% of Oceania’s cruisers. I have sailed multiple times with past cruisers that are very active on the Roll Calls, but only lurk here. 

In the Roll Calls, I can announce shore tours and typically fill them quickly, often with past known cruisers.

I believe we cruised twice with Jim and Stan, once on an “R” ship and once on Riviera. I never will forget the dinner party he threw for a significant birthday for Stan in Polo which he kindly included us in, joining with two other travel friends of theirs from CA. I do not believe I ever ate or drank so much at one meal in my life, neither before nor since! He truly was a larger than life character who had cruised since childhood. In contrast, our first cruise was in 2008.

I never cruised with Don Horner, but he and Betsy kindly agreed to have dinner with us the night before they embarked on a riverboat cruise from Cincinnati. You may know that Don passed away on an Oceania ATW cruise. Betsy met Bob Brown on another ATW cruise (which I followed on this board) and married at sea near the end of that cruise, so special and romantic! 

We also cruised once with Lyn (LHT28) in the Caribbean on Riviera. She kindly arranged a tour for a group of us to an artisanal chocolate factory in Barbados. The chocolate was divine!

I mention these three because I feel privileged to have met them. IMO all three objectively have provided me with so much factual information regarding cruising with Oceania. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CintiPam said:

We also cruised once with Lyn (LHT28) in the Caribbean on Riviera. She kindly arranged a tour for a group of us to an artisanal chocolate factory in Barbados. The chocolate was divine!

OH Pam you had to mention that Chocolate  YUMM

I hear Derrick is also making ice cream now & has a shop closer to shopping  area

Maybe some day  I will get back there

Lyn

The urge to name-drop here is toooo strong. We cruised with Frank Del Rio. He met with a group of us from Cruise Critic and confessed that he had to leave the ship before it commenced the transatlantic portion of the cruise because he got seasick. I can't tell you the chuckle that gave me. He confessed he was probably in the wrong business given that he was thus afflicted. Mura was on that cruise too. And Don and Betsy Horner.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, avalong said:

The urge to name-drop here is toooo strong. We cruised with Frank Del Rio. He met with a group of us from Cruise Critic and confessed that he had to leave the ship before it commenced the transatlantic portion of the cruise because he got seasick. I can't tell you the chuckle that gave me. He confessed he was probably in the wrong business given that he was thus afflicted. Mura was on that cruise too. And Don and Betsy Horner.

Priceless information about FDR.

I haven’t cruised with any of the regulars from the Oceania board.

I have been communicating with Mura since 2000 back from the old Renaissance board on Yahoo Groups.    Same with Jan.   I drove  to Astoria several years ago to spend a day with Jan and Stu when they were on Regatta heading south at the end of an Alaska season (or was it North at the start??).  A great day.

Joe

Edited by JoePDX

3 minutes ago, JoePDX said:

Priceless information about FDR.

I haven’t cruised with any of the regulars from the Oceania board.

I have been communicating with Mura since 2000 back from the old Renaissance board on Yahoo Groups.    Same with Jan.   I drove  to Astoria several years ago to spend a day with Jan and Stu when they were on Regatta heading south at the end of an Alaska season (or was it North at the start??).  A great day.

Joe

Jan & Stu sure get around. Seriously, I've cruised with a ton of Cruise Critic members, pretty much every one that posted on our Roll Calls, as Pinot referred to. As far as the regulars(semi regulars) that post here on this board I've cruised with at least a half dozen that I know of. I'm pretty sure there are others that I've been on a cruise with that I'm not familiar with their name. 

8 hours ago, avalong said:

The urge to name-drop here is toooo strong. We cruised with Frank Del Rio. He met with a group of us from Cruise Critic and confessed that he had to leave the ship before it commenced the transatlantic portion of the cruise because he got seasick.

Maybe just on trans Atlantic cruise  

Didn't he sail into Cuba  when they opened up cruises there?

Sailed with a few  people here plus some that are not allowed to post  😉

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe just on trans Atlantic cruise  

Didn't he sail into Cuba  when they opened up cruises there?

Sailed with a few  people here plus some that are not allowed to post  😉

Yes, he'd actually been on the ship for several days, from New York to Quebec City and then through the Maritimes. I'm not sure at what point he disembarked, but it was before we started across the pond. No trans Atlantics for him.

7 hours ago, avalong said:

Yes, he'd actually been on the ship for several days, from New York to Quebec City and then through the Maritimes. I'm not sure at what point he disembarked, but it was before we started across the pond. No trans Atlantics for him.

probably had to get back to the office  LOL

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 10:27 PM, LHT28 said:

OH Pam you had to mention that Chocolate  YUMM

I hear Derrick is also making ice cream now & has a shop closer to shopping  area

Maybe some day  I will get back there

Lyn

Lyn, we just booked a January Caribbean cruise on Riviera that stops in Barbados, our first small step back to travel. If you have any more information about his ice cream store, I would love to stop by for a cone! 

1 hour ago, CintiPam said:

Lyn, we just booked a January Caribbean cruise on Riviera that stops in Barbados, our first small step back to travel. If you have any more information about his ice cream store, I would love to stop by for a cone! 

Check their website

https://www.agapey.com/

50 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

Thanks. (We polished off our chocolate bar purchases so fast that I did not keep a record of the company’s name!)

LOL

By the time we walked back to the ship our rum filled ones were leaking so we HAD to eat them  quickly 😉

Not sure on the Vegan ice cream?? but the other ones look good

I just went to their website and tours are suspended indefinitely but we are going in January so maybe they will be open..right now unless the courts decide otherwise looks like we wont be leaving from Miami..

Jancruz1

Thanks for the tip about the chocolate in Barbados [and yeah, they broke so you had to eat them; that's your story and you're sticking to it!!!].  We're currently booked on the 'Best of Barbados' tour to Orchid World, but it doesn't start until 12:30 so there's time for a chocolate purchase beforehand – or maybe we can arrange a roll call tour that includes both!

30 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks for the tip about the chocolate in Barbados [and yeah, they broke so you had to eat them; that's your story and you're sticking to it!!!]. 

They were melting in the heat  with the long walk back to the ship  plus we had stopped off for lunch with friends  so extra time in the heat for the chocolate  the ones  without the rum filling were fine

You could just order them online in the USA  no worries  then😉

• Like 1