Queen Mary 2 for younger passengers?

cagefreewill

I don’t want to be an ageist, but I’m 45 and considering booking a transatlantic cruise on QM2 next year for my anniversary.  I know that I’ll have a great time...because I’m a nerd...but curious about the experience of others my age on the ship.  I worry that my spouse not have fun.  😑

4 hours ago, cagefreewill said:

I don’t want to be an ageist, but I’m 45 and considering booking a transatlantic cruise on QM2 next year for my anniversary.  I know that I’ll have a great time...because I’m a nerd...but curious about the experience of others my age on the ship.  I worry that my spouse not have fun.  😑

If you want to get bored on QM2, you'll have to work hard at it. I've yet to meet the person who disembarks and  and says that it was dreadful. More likely it will be the first of many.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cagefreewill said:

We started cruising Cunard much younger than you and we had a great time. Years later the wonderful Cunard experience has not changed.

Welcome to you new Cunard home.

• Like 3

My son and his wife took a Cunard cruise for their honeymoon aged 26 and 32. Ok, not a transatlantic on QM2 but a Canaries cruise on QV. They loved it so much they have another booked for next year. The age thing didn't bother them in the slightest and they had a great time and made some good friends. 

My own cruise experience started at the age of 48, with my husband one year older. We both loved it. Cruise numbers 23 and 24 are booked. We find one of the hardest things is to fit everything we want to do into each day! I think your spouse will love it as much as you will.

Edited by Camgirl
Typo
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, cagefreewill said:

To assist, daily planner link

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1ERlNZxefJlk5f2aArIH_WBATWRId4gNY

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The OP has to remember that Cunard treats it’s clientele as adults, as there are no restrictions on the amount of alcohol carried onboard.

Also, do not forget when on the ship to purchase a tranche of FCDs.  Money for nothing - Drinks for free.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Grammar
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

If it is limited to participating in wet tee shirt contests, riding water slides, watching hairy leg contests, etc. , she probably would not like Cunard.  

I am not sure if the spouse is male, female, or other. However, I agree that if said spouse enjoys the above, they would not enjoy a Cunard voyage.

It would help to know what the person *does* enjoy so we can help them make an informed decision. Theater? Fencing? Dancing? Pub quiz? Singing? Eating? Learning? Watching the stars? So many things. Just wandering the ship is such a luxury.

10 hours ago, cagefreewill said:

Dear cagefreewill,

My DW and I started to sail on cruise ship and liners at the age of 36 and had a ball. I personally started to sail with my personal family as young as 20 years old. And earlier on I had the opportunity to visit ships along the Hudson docked for sailing and offered visits for 50 cents while others onboard were attending bon voyage parties. Yes that way back ago....

I remember my DW's first sailing on the several Rotterdams ago. We sailed with my parents which helped her break the ice. I remember we were pulling away from the pier and her hand was gripping to the deck rail. I gave he a smile and said "Too Late to Get Off"..She has never looked back at that day and ENJOYS every one of our 26 sailings we have taken.

As others said, both of you will be delighted with the activities, cuisine, entertainment and just learning the history and capabilities of the Queen of the Seas "Cunards - Queen Mary 2". I am not sure what your wife's interests but there is many things for everyone. Learn to Dance, Enjoy Dancing. Attend Lectures, Fitness btw those Special Meals. Enjoy the Open Deck and Fresh Sea Air...There and that is just the beginning.

With the many friends and family we have talked to.... Once you take a cruise, you will get bitten by the Cruise Bug...

Ditto.... Welcome to the Cunard Family...

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 2

I had my first Cunard voyage a long time ago: a crossing on the QE2 in the early 1970s.  Cunard was trying to be "hip" at that time. Many will remember the old adverts: "Ships have been boring long enough." Cunard also bragged at that time that there wasn't a single violin on the QE2.  Well, I liked "boring" ships and violins. There were still classical concerts, but otherwise the entertainment was generally not to my taste. (I confess I was never a young person except in age.)

But we returned several times for crossings. Towards the end of her career, the QE2 even had a harpist or pianist at tea in the Queen's Room. Over the years, the activities and entertainment on Cunard ships, especially on the QM2, have become more varied. There is, as the cliché goes, something for everyone - and plenty of it.  Those early crossings on the QE2 were just four days and five nights, but the seven-night crossings on the QM2 seem to go by just as quickly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

The OP has to remember that Cunard treats it’s clientele as adults, as there are no restrictions on the amount of alcohol carried onboard.

Also, do not forget when on the ship to purchase a tranche of FCDs.  Money for nothing - Drinks for free.

Do you not think that will change a little bit given the losses that have been suffered through all this? I can see them wanting to recover money in over the bar sales?

Though I do confess I have sneaked a bottle of drambuie onboard before now, borrowed a glass from the buffet and filed my fathers drink up in the cabin and took it into the Chart Room for him 😲😈😈

7 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Do you not think that will change a little bit given the losses that have been suffered through all this? I can see them wanting to recover money in over the bar sales?

Though I do confess I have sneaked a bottle of drambuie onboard before now, borrowed a glass from the buffet and filed my fathers drink up in the cabin and took it into the Chart Room for him 😲😈😈

Cunard guests do not abuse the generosity of Cunard.  Cunard know the vast majority of their regular guests do spend heavily in all areas of the ship, being over and above the sometimes heavy amounts of OBC..  

Add to this the Cunard Guests are happy to pay a premium to sail Cunard.

Therefore, one thinks Cunard will be a Brand that will recover rapidly.

You did not sneak a bottle onboard, but did sneak a small measure into the Chart Room.  But don’t think the Team would have cared if witnessed.   After all, it’s family.

• Like 1

Our very first cruise on any cruise line was in 1997 at the age of 38. We flew to New York on Concorde and stayed in New York for 4 nts and then sailed TA back to Southampton on the QE2 which took 6 days in those days and we were hooked on cruising. TBH we fell out of love with Cunard for a number of years and cruised with other cruise lines at least twice a year every year since. Always wanted to cruise on QM2 for some reason and returned to Cunard and did a roundtrip TA and she is now our favourite ship.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Cunard guests do not abuse the generosity of Cunard.  Cunard know the vast majority of their regular guests do spend heavily in all areas of the ship, being over and above the sometimes heavy amounts of OBC..  

Add to this the Cunard Guests are happy to pay a premium to sail Cunard.

Therefore, one thinks Cunard will be a Brand that will recover rapidly.

You did not sneak a bottle onboard, but did sneak a small measure into the Chart Room.  But don’t think the Team would have cared if witnessed.   After all, it’s family.

Then why are the bars always dead then? Apart from Samuels that does get busy? But at night the chart room at least is never full. Yet the ship is or they claim it is? Must be a lot of drinking in the cabins?

Just to add my two cents- I sailed Cunard for the very first time at the tender age of 35 - the old QE2- to be honest she was tired and outdated by then but a great experience anyway- for me as a ship buff that is. A little break and  then for the first time QM2- and I was hooked.

I started with RCI when they did not have all the bells and whistles - loved it- then their ships got bigger- not to my liking so I went to X- Celebrity- and stayed there until i switched - about 10 years ago to Cunard with the occaisonal Celebrity Cruise thrown in.

Cunard is still on hold for the time beeiing so I turn to X in three weeks time to join the Apex on her Maiden Voyage.

I am quite sure you and your spouse will like the QM2- as already mentioned- if you are not a big fan of hairy leg contests, ice rings, Flow Rider and so such things.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Then why are the bars always dead then? Apart from Samuels that does get busy? But at night the chart room at least is never full. Yet the ship is or they claim it is? Must be a lot of drinking in the cabins?

Each guest will have their own drinks flexible schedule, not committed to specific time and bar.

One’s general (tradition) alcohol intake is, a beer or two with lunch, on deck mid afternoon a couple of Rum Sours (no fruit, no eggs, no fizzy water) with an overproof lid.  After shower a large fine Rum/Rhum or Cognac on the balcony.  Dinner is where the bulk of our spend takes place with a good bottle. Then a post Theatre (late show) nightcap Cocktails in the Commodore. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Each guest will have their own drinks flexible schedule, not committed to specific time and bar.

One’s general (tradition) alcohol intake is, a beer or two with lunch, on deck mid afternoon a couple of Rum Sours (no fruit, no eggs, no fizzy water) with an overproof lid.  After shower a large fine Rum/Rhum or Cognac on the balcony.  Dinner is where the bulk of our spend takes place with a good bottle. Then a post Theatre (late show) nightcap Cocktails in the Commodore. 

You are not a fan of the chart room then?

If you search this has come up a few times.

I was 30 when I took my first trip (6 years ago now) for my honeymoon. A westbound transatlantic followed by a trip up the eastern seaboard to Halifax and Boston.

6 years later I've done 8 trips on Cunard if I remember right, with a 9th now booked (a UK circumnavigation in September on the QE). This would have been higher if it wasn't for the covid situation!

My favourite thing to do on board is to hang out in the Golden Lion with my kindle or ipad, reading with a few beers. My wife occasionally drags me to Hemispheres / The Yacht Club / G32 also. Lectures can be hit and miss personally - seen some incredible ones (A POW, a Concorde pilot, D-Day veterans), and also slept through some not so good ones. As someone who lives in jeans or shorts and tshirts, it's also nice to have an excuse to wear more formal clothes!

Edit - the drinks tastings can also be excellent. Martini Mixology is well worth going to, as is the Gin tasting (this has descended into chaos if fun the 2 times I did it with everyone getting fairly inebriated in the afternoon) if offered. Also the vodka tasting and the beer tasting. Only one I haven't done is the whiskey one! (there's a theme here...).

Also Cunard have no problem with you bringing on drinks for stateroom consumption. I've had some port staff get dodgy occasionally but a quick ask for them to check the rules and it's been fine.

On the subject of the Chart Room - I quite like it for a post dinner drink. Before dinner has to be the Commodore club on a vista class ship usually though. On QM2 it's the Golden Lion for the quiz before dinner.

Edited by Ynox
  • Like 2

On 5/28/2021 at 4:59 PM, ace2542 said:

There is more to do on the ship than just drink and there are a number of venues at which to do that, so you will not see the wall-to-wall mobs typical of bars on NCL, Carnival, etc.

In my view, uncrowded means comfortable, not “dead”.

• Like 4

On 5/28/2021 at 1:26 AM, BigMac1953 said:

If you want to get bored on QM2, you'll have to work hard at it. I've yet to meet the person who disembarks and  and says that it was dreadful. More likely it will be the first of many.

Thanks for sharing.  I should have guessed this.  I'm sure that the traditional Cunard clientele demands high value and as such, I should expect lots and lots of activities.

On 5/28/2021 at 2:35 PM, majortom10 said:

Our very first cruise on any cruise line was in 1997 at the age of 38. We flew to New York on Concorde and stayed in New York for 4 nts and then sailed TA back to Southampton on the QE2 which took 6 days in those days and we were hooked on cruising. TBH we fell out of love with Cunard for a number of years and cruised with other cruise lines at least twice a year every year since. Always wanted to cruise on QM2 for some reason and returned to Cunard and did a roundtrip TA and she is now our favourite ship.

I think I still have s few of those old cruise catalogs from the travel agency that have the "Concorde Cruises" in them.  Very jealous. I told you I was a nerd.  LOL!

• Like 1