HAL Alaska Neuw Amsterdam questions for 2021 sailings, life on board, vaccine rules, etc

kath00

Hi all,

I would like to take my elderly Mom on a cruise this summer to Alaska after our cruise for 2020 was cancelled.  I have a few safety questions that I am not seeing answers to on the HAL website.

1) are they sailing full capacity or not for July and August 2021 sailings from Seattle?

2) if we are in July and they require people over 16 to be vaccinated, versus in August over age 12, is the 95% of people who must be vaccinated apply to "eligible" people or everyone on the ship?  For example, can there be like 200++ kids under 16 not vaccinated in July?  Or is the 95% still in play (so like 10 people only).

3) did HAL actually say that on August 1st they would drop the vaccine requirement to age 12 also?  Or was I misreading other company announcements

4) did I forget something to ask about safety and life on board?

4 hours ago, kath00 said:

Hi all,

I would like to take my elderly Mom on a cruise this summer to Alaska after our cruise for 2020 was cancelled.  I have a few safety questions that I am not seeing answers to on the HAL website.

1) are they sailing full capacity or not for July and August 2021 sailings from Seattle?

2) if we are in July and they require people over 16 to be vaccinated, versus in August over age 12, is the 95% of people who must be vaccinated apply to "eligible" people or everyone on the ship?  For example, can there be like 200++ kids under 16 not vaccinated in July?  Or is the 95% still in play (so like 10 people only).

3) did HAL actually say that on August 1st they would drop the vaccine requirement to age 12 also?  Or was I misreading other company announcements

HAL has not announced all of the protocols for Alaska yet (they are being fine tuned) and they will appear on the website at some stage however, it is my understanding that everyone sailing must be fully vaccinated along with the crew.  No exceptions

I believe Seth said they would be sailing at reduced capacity but I can’t swear to my memory 😉 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kath00 said:

Hi all,

We're on the July 24th Sailing and it's Sailing at 50% Capacity.  From what Gus and Seth said they will start at 50% and then increase up to 80% but was not specific on what Dates would have what Capacity.  They mentioned, too, that Life Onboard will be pretty much normal with Entertainment, etc.  but we'll find out more once the first Sailing gets underway.  Keep and eye out for Laffnvegas's "Live Review" here. 

As Kazu mentioned all are required to be Vaccinated for the Alaska and Greece Sailings.  I would call HAL and see if they have an answer on the Age question.  Those Vaccinated though must have received the 2nd Dose at least two weeks prior to Sailing.  

The final Protocols have not been updated and hoping to hear soon regarding Mask Requirements, etc.!  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kazu said:

HAL has not announced all of the protocols for Alaska yet (they are being fine tuned) and they will appear on the website at some stage however, it is my understanding that everyone sailing must be fully vaccinated along with the crew.  No exceptions

I believe Seth said they would be sailing at reduced capacity but I can’t swear to my memory 😉 

Good memory.

100% vaccination requirement for Alaska 2021 cruises.

The first sailing will be at 50% capacity and then subsequent sailings will ramp up. I think conditions beyond the control of HAL may be a determining factor in how quickly they return to full capacity.

4 hours ago, idiebabe said:

We're on the July 24th Sailing and it's Sailing at 50% Capacity.  From what Gus and Seth said they will start at 50% and then increase up to 80% but was not specific on what Dates would have what Capacity.  They mentioned, too, that Life Onboard will be pretty much normal with Entertainment, etc.  but we'll find out more once the first Sailing gets underway.  Keep and eye out for Laffnvegas's "Live Review" here. 

As Kazu mentioned all are required to be Vaccinated for the Alaska and Greece Sailings.  I would call HAL and see if they have an answer on the Age question.  Those Vaccinated though must have received the 2nd Dose at least two weeks prior to Sailing.  

The final Protocols have not been updated and hoping to hear soon regarding Mask Requirements, etc.!  

Thanks for mentioning Gus and Seth.  I do suggest that people tune in for the live HAL:  Seth Wayne HAL Live on FB.  You don't have to watch it live.  I just watched the May 25 vid that included Gus Antorcha, President HAL who answered a lot of questions including what is known now, and what is not known.  To me, it seems to be the best place to get information from the horse's mouth.  Alaska and Greece 2021 cruises were discussed on the May 25 vid.  One good thing was that we will not have to be on a HAL excursion to get off the ship!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kath00 said:

Thank you!  I don't have Facebook -- is there another place they have the videos?

They're available on YouTube.

Here's a link to the one they did on Alaska last week  Facebook

And here's a link to the one that featured Gus Antorcha (the new Pres) talking about cruising this summer:  Facebook

Edited by zelker
  • Like 1

Thank you but I cannot see Facebook.  Requires me to log in... and I don't have an account.  I cannot find youtube that is more recent with him than early May... does anyone have a link to a YouTube video that is most recent?

23 hours ago, kath00 said:

Very doubtful that you will have many 16 and under on a HAL cruise. We are on the 7/31 sailing. I hope you and your Mom have a wonderful cruise.

I called HAL today 3x and got about the same answer each time.  They are saying NO CHILDREN under 16 on the July cruises.  Period.  And no children under 12 on the August cruises -- in order to meet the 95% vaccinated requirement.  I hope this meshes with what people have heard.  It is hard to know.  They also told me 50% capacity for July cruises and up to 80% by end of August.

• Like 1

If the requirement is for 95% vaccinated, who exactly makes up the last 5% unvaccinated? Children? People who foe medical or religious reasons can’t be vaccinated? Anti vaxxers if there is room left for them on a first come first serve basis? Do you need proof of vaccination to book? Just wondering if people will actually be denied boarding....

Yes they each said that the 5% would be people who are refusing vaccines due to religion or medical reason like severe allergy.  And yes she said they will all absolutely be refused booking or boarding because the CDC is on their case and it is a contingency of them sailing in AK right now to have the ships 95% vaccinated, all crew included.  So she said be sure to bring vaccine card and valid passport/photo ID and they will match up the name and DOB to be sure.  Fine by me -- I need to be safe and especially my Mom does, who is 78 with a heart condition.  We are both vaccinated and if it is truly 50% capacity and 95% vaccinated, it sounds totally safe to me.

Edited by kath00
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, kath00 said:

I called HAL today 3x and got about the same answer each time.  They are saying NO CHILDREN under 16 on the July cruises.  Period.  And no children under 12 on the August cruises -- in order to meet the 95% vaccinated requirement.  I hope this meshes with what people have heard.  It is hard to know.  They also told me 50% capacity for July cruises and up to 80% by end of August.

We are booked on the 7/31 alaskan cruise and my 12 year old son who will be fully vaccinated by then will be with us.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

We are booked on the 7/31 alaskan cruise and my 12 year old son who will be fully vaccinated by then will be with us.

As long as he's fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior to embarking and has proof (just like adults must do), there's no reason he shouldn't be able to sail with you ... that's great!!  👍

11 hours ago, kath00 said:

Yes they each said that the 5% would be people who are refusing vaccines due to religion or medical reason like severe allergy.  And yes she said they will all absolutely be refused booking or boarding because the CDC is on their case and it is a contingency of them sailing in AK right now to have the ships 95% vaccinated, all crew included.  So she said be sure to bring vaccine card and valid passport/photo ID and they will match up the name and DOB to be sure.  Fine by me -- I need to be safe and especially my Mom does, who is 78 with a heart condition.  We are both vaccinated and if it is truly 50% capacity and 95% vaccinated, it sounds totally safe to me.

I'm confused by what you were told with 95% being Vaccinated.  The CDC requires the 95%  but HAL was requiring 100% Vaccinated for both AK and Greece.  What you were told on the phone is  contradicting what I was told by my PCC when I booked over a week ago, what Gus and Seth stated on the "Live" that ALL Guest must be Vaccinated and what's on their Website (here are two excerpts from the HAL Website listed below).  I'll reach out to my PCC tomorrow to clarify!  

Open for booking May 21, Holland America Line cruises to Alaska are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise and have proof of vaccination.

Holland America Line 2021 cruises to Alaska are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise and have proof of vaccination

11 hours ago, Brentt_M said:

They told us kids must be 16 and over on the July sailings so I would call and confirm that your 7/31 cruise will allow a 12 year old...  Let us know what they say.  The agents told me they are rescheduling children under 16 with their families to later cruises or 2022!

Edited by kath00

8 hours ago, kath00 said:

They told us kids must be 16 and over on the July sailings so I would call and confirm that your 7/31 cruise will allow a 12 year old...  Let us know what they say.  The agents told me they are rescheduling children under 16 with their families to later cruises or 2022!

The only requirement for the Alaskan cruise is being fully vaccinated. 100% of people on board, not 95%.

23 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

The only requirement for the Alaskan cruise is being fully vaccinated. 100% of people on board, not 95%.

It would be a ***** to be denied boarding.  I think all you early cruisers are nuts 🌰 but someone has to break the ice.  I am willing to watch from the sidelines for a while.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

It would be a ***** to be denied boarding.  I think all you early cruisers are nuts 🌰 but someone has to break the ice.  I am willing to watch from the sidelines for a while.

I'm looking forward to hearing from those who are on the first few sailings.  I am on Sept sailing to AK so I guess I'm nuts.  Woohoo.  Keep your fingers crossed for us.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Crazy runs in both of our families.😂. We are on the second cruise.

• Like 2

I spoke with a HAL rep about this very topic and she said that vaccines will be required for Summer 2021 Alaska cruises because the alternative, under CDC rules, would be to run "test cruises" first which would effectively keep them out of the Summer Alaska cruise season. I asked about cruises later this year (Caribbean, etc.) and she said there was not currently a vaccine requirement. Seems like a lot depends on how this Summer goes.

With plummeting COVID rates (deaths and infections) and given the number of people vaxed or having natural immunity from a prior infection, I'm betting the vaccine requirement will not be around long. Makes sense if you think about it. A cruise line never mandated a flu vaccine.

40 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

I asked about cruises later this year (Caribbean, etc.) and she said there was not currently a vaccine requirement. Seems like a lot depends on how this Summer goes.

Well, if there is not a vaccine requirement for the European cruises in the Fall, I will be very disappointed.  A recipe for disaster IMO.  The variants are not under control and the more people that cruise that are not vaccinated, the higher the risk of mutation and variants.  At some stage there could be a variant that immunization cannot protect against 😔 

40 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

With plummeting COVID rates (deaths and infections) and given the number of people vaxed or having natural immunity from a prior infection, I'm betting the vaccine requirement will not be around long. Makes sense if you think about it. A cruise line never mandated a flu vaccine.

Bolding is mine.  This is not the flu.  Covid has a lot more detrimental effect to those that survive than the flu - if they survive.

• Like 2

Kazu, the flu usually kills 30,000 to 60,000 per season in the United States. It can and does kill. Cruise lines never saw it necessary to mandate flu vaccines even though the flu poses a risk to its passengers.

Looks like they will be offering complimentary Port Valet for luggage from the ship to our home airport again this year (dependent on which airline you're flying and where you're flying to, of course).  Details are being finalized with cruise lines and airlines. 

Here's a link to info on the Port of Seattle website -

Port Valet - Enjoy Seattle Luggage Free! | Port of Seattle (portseattle.org)

Edited by zelker
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1