Scissors for cross-stitching

robert8995

I'm asking this for my Mom- I've read that scissors aren't allowed but some people have gotten scissors from a sewing kit onboard, so I've attached a picture of the scissors my Mom uses for cross stitching. While they're small(3-4 inches long),and I think the pair on the right will fold up, but that point on the end will ***** a finger! Just wondering what you all think and if anyone has taken scissors like this with them on a cruise...

Resized_20210601_124555_3416.jpeg

I've never had an issue with packing a small pair of scissors with a 2-3" blade.  For on an airplane, I have the folding pair on a lanyard that I can wear around my neck.  I hate dropping my scissors on a plane and having to twist and turn to pick them up.  I've only had one flight attendant question me about them.  I told her the blades are barely an inch long and well within FAA regulations for what is allowed.  Besides, I'm only cutting threads, not anything else.

I was going to answer that I regularly take my pocket knife and leatherman on cruises and never had any issues, but then decided to search the actual rules. Click on the section titled "What items am I not allowed to bring?"

Knives, scissors and open razors. (Recreational dive knives are allowed, but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise. Large scissors used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held on board in the same manner as dive knives.)

Just thought I would pass along both real world advice (8 cruises, most recently Sept 2019) and no issues. And the actual rules that are posted. I'd interpret it as: "bring something, you won't cry over being confiscated."

Edited by five.

On 6/1/2021 at 11:05 AM, robert8995 said:

I'm asking this for my Mom- I've read that scissors aren't allowed but some people have gotten scissors from a sewing kit onboard, so I've attached a picture of the scissors my Mom uses for cross stitching. While they're small(3-4 inches long),and I think the pair on the right will fold up, but that point on the end will ***** a finger! Just wondering what you all think and if anyone has taken scissors like this with them on a cruise...

Resized_20210601_124555_3416.jpeg

Pack them in carry on, you should be fine.  But to be super safe, check your bag. 

Edited by LuckyStar