Tuxedo on formal night

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

And this is a 4 night cruise😉

20210609_175402.thumb.jpg.2d91a075425eb83770a645a2ed535583.jpg

On my last cruise on the Anthem on Formal night two guys came into the MDR wearing sweatsuits.I found out later that they were a retired NBA  player and his son.
The year before ,on the Grandeur a guy entered the MDR on formal night wearing a white tee shirt,white shorts and white sneakers.He was an Actor.

I was seated at a table on both cruises with 4 other couples.I wore slacks,a LS shirt and a sweater.The other men wore sports jackets.

The only men that I saw wearing tuxedo’s were very elderly.

27 minutes ago, coldflame said:

I see the joke went over your head. The person you quoted meant as a snark because only about 1% of PAX on any given cruise I've been actually dress up on formal nights.

I didn't realize Yogi had a sense of humor. Thnx

And I'd challenge that number, but you must cruise more than little old me

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Umm, explain this

20210609_175402.thumb.jpg.c9e3fb40019a3919b22b5e97b95aa332.jpg

It's on every one of my Royal invoices. 😇

I wore a suit for 38 years when I was employed.Many people who cruise had or have jobs where they do not have to wear a suit and like to dress nice on a cruise.When I retired I also retired my suit except for several cruises.

Some things I would recommend.  

These are my suggestions - take them or leave them as you see fit, as I am no expert.

No clip on ties, learn to tie a bow tie, its like tieing your shoes, but around your neck.  A good way to practice is to tie it around your leg just below the knee.  Ties should be black most everytime, sometimes you can use a darker burgandy colored tie, combined with the same color cummerbund and maybe pocket square.  Don't use any other colors (like red, yellow, etc.)

Always make sure to get a good 100% wool tux.  I would start with a black tuxedo, pants and coat.  Later you can add a white colored jacket if you want, especially for more tropical areas.  I own a notch lapel jacket, but you really should use a peak lapel or shawl lapel to meet more formal dress codes.   One button jacket is what I would recommend.  I have gotten at reasonable prices online, but regardless of where you buy, you need to go to a tailor to get the tux  fitted to you.  My main black pair of pants have an adjustable waistband  which has come in handy throughout the years.  I use white suspenders, or burgundy. 

Don't use a high button vest, instead use a cummerbund, or a vest that's cut very low.   Sometimes, I do not use either, but you may find you need an extra shirt stud so that you do not have a regular shirt button showing if you open your jacket.

Some people have formal patent leather shoes, but I just use my black cap toes shined up nicely.

I like to add a white pocket square some times.

If I wear a tux, I try my best to always leave the jacket on most all of the evening.  No use dressing up in a tux if you pull the jacket off from the get go.

• Like 2

I love it when my husband dresses up for Formal nights on the ship. My husband wears a tux and yes, the full attire, white tux shirt, cummerbund, Cufflinks,  and a premade tie!  He has all different kinds of ties,  My favorite one is  his patriotic tie or his Colorado one, Both are very popular on the ship, He often gets stopped by the stateroom attendants. They compliment him and ask where to get one.  He always brings several on board to share.  It’s priceless the look on their faces when he gives them one. Don’t forget to get the shiny black shoes.  I hope one day we will see you on the ship and you are sporting your tux. Cheers!

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

On my last cruise on the Anthem on Formal night two guys came into the MDR wearing sweatsuits.I found out later that they were a retired NBA  player and his son.
The year before ,on the Grandeur a guy entered the MDR on formal night wearing a white tee shirt,white shorts and white sneakers.He was an Actor.

I was seated at a table on both cruises with 4 other couples.I wore slacks,a LS shirt and a sweater.The other men wore sports jackets.

Confused, your previous post said there were no formal nights. 

I really don't care what pro athletes and actors wear to dinner. Lately they rarely speak for me.

Not sure what your definition of elderly is. 

I'm 58, does that fit the bill🤔

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I wore a suit for 38 years when I was employed.Many people who cruise had or have jobs where they do not have to wear a suit and like to dress nice on a cruise.When I retired I also retired my suit except for several cruises.

Not germane to the question, but thnx.

FWIW, I have worn a tux for going on 40 years, so maybe I'll follow your example.  But probably not. 

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Confused, your previous post said there were no formal nights. 

I really don't care what pro athletes and actors wear to dinner. Lately they rarely speak for me.

Not sure what your definition of elderly is. 

I'm 58, does that fit the bill🤔

My point about the athletes and the actor was that they were allowed to enter the MDR’s on Formal Night because of who they are.

58 is young to me .I saw a lot of men in their 80’s wearing tuxedos .

14 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

20210528_103516.thumb.jpg.b41bb45c3345ce5bbb4dbb2724f63a86.jpg

I miss that show!!!  George never got his bread and had his soup taken away.  Horrors!

As far as the tux chat, everyone, please dress as you like.  Nothing wrong with wearing a tux on formal night.  So beautiful to see a couple dressed to impress.  Makes the night more special.  We usually cruise out of Galveston, which might have more casual folks than other ports.  However, there ARE men who wear tuxes. Just not my husband. 😉 He at least wears a suit and tie on formal nights.

14 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Not germane to the question, but thnx.

FWIW, I have worn a tux for going on 40 years, so maybe I'll follow your example.  But probably not. 

Mrs.66 likes the way I dress .We have been together since June 27,1965.😀

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My point about the athletes and the actor was that they were allowed to enter the MDR’s on Formal Night because of who they are.

58 is young to me .I saw a lot of men in their 80’s wearing tuxedos .

Actually there is no enforcement, it's just a suggestion. To each their own. Just don't infer it doesn't exist😉

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My husband is 57 years young, far from elderly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Actually there is no enforcement, it's just a suggestion. To each their own. Just don't infer it doesn't exist😉

I never inferred that Formal nights do not exist.It is just not like it was on my first cruises from 1973 to 2008.

27 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have 71 tee shirts and 40 polo shirts in my closet plus 12 pairs of jeans .

Since retirement this has been my formal wear.

Why do you have that many? You don't have a washing machine?  You are a hoarder?

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Why would you ever want to wear a tuxedo when Formal nights rarely exist any longer ? I have only worn a tux to my wedding .I have not worn a suit on a cruise since 2010.On my last cruise  on so called formal nights in the MDR people were dressed as thought they were attending a tennis match.

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Yes,however,Formal Nights are really a thing of the past ,at least on US based cruise ships.Even at weddings it seems to be casual attire.

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never inferred that Formal nights do not exist.It is just not like it was on my first cruises from 1973 to 2008.

I guess I misunderstood, apologies.

6 minutes ago, Colorado Babe said:

My husband is 57 years young, far from elderly.

Yes,people of all ages wear tuxedo’s.You obviously did not digest what I posted.I said that the most people on the cruises I was on were elderlly .They were in their 80’s.Perhaps if I did not have to wear a suit every work day for 38 years I might desire to wear a tux on a cruise .

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Love the white dinner jacket look. Very classy, you wear it well.

I'm looking for the white shoes pic

And I don't have one holding a pair of Emmy's😉

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Yes,people of all ages wear tuxedo’s.You obviously did not digest what I posted.I said that the most people on the cruises I was on were elderlly .They were in their 80’s.Perhaps if I did not have to wear a suit every work day for 38 years I might desire to wear a tux on a cruise .

I would love to see the tuxes back in style.  Nothing like a man in a tux! 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Mens Warehouse has bought out the company and quality has gone down in my opinion.

My brother was married two years ago. We went to Men's Warehouse for the tuxedos. While the fit was good the tuxedo looked like it went through a war. There was an uneven sheen on the jackets and the pants, probably the result of over cleaning and pressing.  I thought there prices in general were inflated for what they were selling. When my son got married last year we went to the tuxedo place that I have been going to since my Senior Prom. If I were to buy a tux I would buy it through them. My days of wearing a tux even on Princess where they tend to dress up more are behind me. I won't even bother to bring a suit and tie with me if we sail on Royal. Even my wife is over it.

• Like 1