Tuxedo on formal night

22 hours ago, jsf said:

What's a formal night?

So true!  If you will use the tux again and make it worth the money you spend, go for it.  However, we have found that Alaska cruises are even more casual than Caribbean or European cruises and our last Alaska cruise was 10 or 12 years ago.  🙂

Tree Skier, Thank you for starting what has become one of my favorite current posts.  It's great to see that many others are looking forward to dressing up once we cruise again.  We will, for sure.

I might mention that DH has acquired several of his tuxes from local thrift/charity stores.  Not a situation of being able to walk in and order your size, but by being patient, he has bought several very nice, high quality tuxedos, probably worn once and then donated.

Good luck on your search, and please come back with updates.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Tree Skier, Thank you for starting what has become one of my favorite current posts.  It's great to see that many others are looking forward to dressing up once we cruise again.  We will, for sure.

I might mention that DH has acquired several of his tuxes from local thrift/charity stores.  Not a situation of being able to walk in and order your size, but by being patient, he has bought several very nice, high quality tuxedos, probably worn once and then donated.

It is an interesting thread. I have a tux but i won't be joining in wearing it on cruises unless I cruise again on QM2.  I will wear it to suitable occasions. I don't consider mainstream vacation cruises suitable. On mainstream cruise lines like Royal many are wearing shorts or jeans on formal nights in the Caribbean or Alaska. I did wear the tux on cruises when it was in vogue but I did not really care for the rigeramole of it. On a cruise it is a costume party. I won't get into that again. QM2 is an liner with a traditional liner experience and I would not mind at all wearing a tux on QM2. Regular cruises to me are resort experiences that I want to wear nice casual clothing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It is an interesting thread. I have a tux but i won't be joining in wearing it on cruises unless I cruise again on QM2.  I will wear it to suitable occasions. I don't consider mainstream vacation cruises suitable. On mainstream cruise lines like Royal many are wearing shorts or jeans on formal nights in the Caribbean or Alaska. I did wear the tux on cruises when it was in vogue but I did not really care for the rigeramole of it. On a cruise it is a costume party. I won't get into that again. QM2 is an liner with a traditional liner experience and I would not mind at all wearing a tux on QM2. Regular cruises to me are resort experiences that I want to wear nice casual clothing.

Very well put. Formal nights in a mid-range line Royal is basically pageantry and costume party and very few partake in. I see exactly zero reason to wear anything more formal than jeans, let alone a tux, at nights. For those who enjoy pointless dress up, by all means, it's always fun to think about all the inconvenience and discomfort you went through.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coldflame said:

Very well put. Formal nights in a mid-range line Royal is basically pageantry and costume party and very few partake in. I see exactly zero reason to wear anything more formal than jeans, let alone a tux, at nights. For those who enjoy pointless dress up, by all means, it's always fun to think about all the inconvenience and discomfort you went through.

Well, that's not rude. Not unexpected though.😇

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Well, that's not rude. Not unexpected though.😇

My take away, is it is worthwhile to pretend to be rich when you sail with the perceived rich on a ocean liner, as compared to wasting time pretending when you are on RCI and the perceived trailer park trash.  😱😇  So, you can wear fancy clothes only when you think the other rich people expect you to in order to join them.  If the rich are not perceived to be there, why bother?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

My take away, is it is worthwhile to pretend to be rich when you sail with the perceived rich on a ocean liner, as compared to wasting time pretending when you are on RCI and the perceived trailer park trash.  😱😇  So, you can wear fancy clothes only when you think the other rich people expect you to in order to join them.  If the rich are not perceived to be there, why bother?

The ocean liner (QM2) is like a museum and show. All kinds of historical stuff onboard. Passengers are playing are part in the show. There is no point in booking the QM2 except for the history and to participate. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Well so far no luck finding what I'm looking for.  The local Joseph A Banks did not have anything in my size.  I'll be busy this afternoon and everyday after until the late next week so shopping will have to wait until then.  Updates to follow... 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

I don't think my decision has anything to do with being or being perceived to be rich.  It has to do with making an event special. DW has been my faithful companion when others would have pitched me to the curb all long time ago. I always want to do things that provide her with a little more joy and happiness.🥰

While a large percentage of the nights I sleep happen to be spent in a house with wheels, and Jeff Foxworthy tells us that that is qualifying characteristic of redneck/trailer trash status, 🤠I'm not sure that I am or would be perceived to be trailer trash by any other measure. We could certainly debate the issue and I know some who could argue a strong case for my membership in that demographic but I think at the end of the day I come out on top. 

Edited by Tree_skier
I forgot the emoji's
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

You sound fun 

It's actually hilarious, we can pack all of our attire in one large suitcase and 4 backpacks. And then see all the goofy people with 8 suitcases, dress bags, hat cases, looking all itchy from wearing a suit while on varying states of sunburned for a night of pretend play.

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

Nah the take away is dressing up on Tux is pointless in a cruise. It had its time and place 50 years ago. We've moved on and realized that was one dumb tradition.

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

I don't think my decision has anything to do with being or being perceived to be rich.  It has to do with making an event special. DW has been my faithful companion when others would have pitched me to the curb all long time ago. I always want to do things that provide her with a little more joy and happiness.🥰

While a large percentage of the nights I sleep happen to be spent in a house with wheels, and Jeff Foxworthy tells us that that is qualifying characteristic of redneck/trailer trash status, 🤠I'm not sure that I am or would be perceived to be trailer trash by any other measure. We could certainly debate the issue and I know some who could argue a strong case for my membership in that demographic but I think at the end of the day I come out on top. 

TS, I was replying to John’s post, and the posts that lead to John’s posts.  Not your quest for classing up your attire.  See posts above this one. 

I applaud your efforts.  If they go back to unlimited luggage, I may find my multiple tuxedos in my closet and see if I could get into one for my next cruise.  🤣

JC

Edited by xpcdoojk

56 minutes ago, coldflame said:

Nah the take away is dressing up on Tux is pointless in a cruise. It had its time and place 50 years ago. We've moved on and realized that was one dumb tradition.

You should try this on the cruise. Walk up to people, insult them, declare how much smarter you are than they are. Report back and let us know how it goes. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

You should try this on the cruise. Walk up to people, insult them, declare how much smarter you are than they are. Report back and let us know how it goes. 

naaa, he's just stating the Floridian state of mind,  ya know the same mind set as DeSantis. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

I'm not insulting anyone. I'm saying it's amusing how silly they look.

4 minutes ago, c-boy said:

naaa, he's just stating the Floridian state of mind,  ya know the same mind set as DeSantis. 

Wrong on both accounts. I'm stating it's an absolutely pointless tradition and I find silly all the work people go through. And I'm not fan of DeSantis. Please continue to make wrong assumptions. It's funny.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coldflame said:

Trust me on this one - your posts have been rude, obnoxious and insulting. If that wasn’t your intent, you want want to rethink your posting style. 

• Like 4

On 6/9/2021 at 1:02 PM, Tree_skier said:

So I’m leaning towards purchasing a Tuxedo for cruise formal nights for our Alaska cruise on Serenade in August.  Traditionally I have  brought and worn black suit, white shirt and a couple of ties, one for each night. 

So to those who have or have companions who wear or have worn tux’s what recommendations do you have for selecting the right tux. I don’t know how to tie a bow tie, is one that clips the equivalent of a clip on regular tie. Are French cuffs mandatory as part of tuxedo wear? Should I stick with white for the shirt or are there other options that are considered equally formal. So many questions!  

I’m shopping today at Joseph A Banks  but may not buy today. All answers and recommendations welcomed. 

it’s great to be planning again. 

Go for it. I'm considering doing the same but for European cruises only. 

• Like 3

Guest BigRoger
33 minutes ago, coldflame said:

Errrrr do you actually read the stuff you post…. It’s not a badge of honour to brag about dressing down…. Personal choice is something all cruisers should respect not belittle…. Except when it’s anti vaxers and anti maskers… they are just…. Dangerous

I would never look down on anyone who decides to dress up or wear a tux. Anyone who does so in my opinion lacks good character. Who cares if someone packs a backpack or 5 suitcases. If it's what they want to do to have a enjoyable vacation more power to them. People should judge less and respect more.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The ocean liner (QM2) is like a museum and show. All kinds of historical stuff onboard. Passengers are playing are part in the show. There is no point in booking the QM2 except for the history and to participate. 

Well, now I have to give my two cents.  Dressing up for formal nights is very nice and does change the atmosphere for the evening.  Very nice, IMHO.  I think something has been lost when cruise lines started to not enforce dress codes or basic minimums for formal nights.

If one wants to experience a glimpse of what cruising used to be QM2 is it.  No belly flop contests, no wet t shirt contests, etc.  But many interesting actities during the day including afternoon tea.  But either way, no one should be made fun of because they choose to “dress up” rather than “dress down”.  Katherine

• Like 4