Millennium Suite Lounge and Deck Area

Momma Rene

We booked a sky suite on the Millennium, however, I am concerned because the suite lounge (formally Michael's Club) and the suite deck area are receiving a lot of bad reviews in terms of uncomfortable furniture and the deck being in the full sun.  Anyone have experience with either?  The fare is approximately twice the regular fare and I would like to use both amenities.

Seany527, who is currently onboard Millennium, posted the following earlier today in a different thread:

"I actually was able to peak inside after making some friends. The top deck was very, very empty. There are some shaded areas but most chairs are in full sun. The chairs and loungers are beautiful and much more luxurious than the standard chairs on the main pool deck.

I also was able to go into the Retreat lounge. I’ve sailed in the Haven with NCL and the lounge with Celebrity leaves a lot to be desired. But, for that sun deck alone, I do wish I booked the Retreat."

1 hour ago, Momma Rene said:

We booked a sky suite on the Millennium, however, I am concerned because the suite lounge (formally Michael's Club) and the suite deck area are receiving a lot of bad reviews in terms of uncomfortable furniture and the deck being in the full sun.  Anyone have experience with either?  The fare is approximately twice the regular fare and I would like to use both amenities.

We’re in a suite on Millennium now.  While we haven’t actually sat down in the interior retreat lounge, we have gotten drinks to go from that lounges bar.  A very nice way to get a drink since so few people are there, plus both times we’ve asked for doubles we’ve gotten doubles, with the bartender saying “this is YOUR bar.”  Re the outdoors retreat sun deck, we did walk around it but didn’t stay because of the high heat and humidity.  However, a few people were there (some couples) relaxing in the sun.  Some of the “chairs” were some sort of large round-ish lounger with a cloth cover you could pull up and partially over you to help shield you from the sun.

• Like 1

Very relaxing, little shade, service good….. front of ship, didn’t experience wind issue. Limited Cabanas, light dining area adequate…. But in the end,  escapes the busy main pool area craziness. Get there early for Cabana, covers lounging

4 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

Seany527, who is currently onboard Millennium, posted the following earlier today in a different thread:

"I actually was able to peak inside after making some friends. The top deck was very, very empty. There are some shaded areas but most chairs are in full sun. The chairs and loungers are beautiful and much more luxurious than the standard chairs on the main pool deck.

I also was able to go into the Retreat lounge. I’ve sailed in the Haven with NCL and the lounge with Celebrity leaves a lot to be desired. But, for that sun deck alone, I do wish I booked the Retreat."

We have also sailed NCL Haven but MSC Yacht Club is so much nicer. Neither RCL or Celebrity has anything to compare to them. 

17 hours ago, SVBing said:

Very relaxing, little shade, service good….. front of ship, didn’t experience wind issue. Limited Cabanas, light dining area adequate…. But in the end,  escapes the busy main pool area craziness. Get there early for Cabana, covers lounging

It is very upsetting that there is no shade.  A lot of people on certain meds cannot sit in the sun.  On Princess, we could get there whenever we wanted.  There was our chair waiting in the shade.  

Reading all the negative reviews of the Retreat on the Millennium makes me think I made a terrible mistake.  We needed the shade and I guess I was thinking that since the Retreat was on the top of the ship, they would have figured that out and made it appealing.  Also, the lounge area is getting bad reviews due to the chairs being so uncomfortable. 

I purchased the non reimbursable fare to save the $800 difference.  Feeling furious that Celebrity did not think thru the comfort of their suite passengers who were willing to pay extra for amenities that I now discover cannot be used.

1 hour ago, Momma Rene said:

Reading all the negative reviews of the Retreat on the Millennium makes me think I made a terrible mistake.  We needed the shade and I guess I was thinking that since the Retreat was on the top of the ship, they would have figured that out and made it appealing.  Also, the lounge area is getting bad reviews due to the chairs being so uncomfortable. 

I purchased the non reimbursable fare to save the $800 difference.  Feeling furious that Celebrity did not think thru the comfort of their suite passengers who were willing to pay extra for amenities that I now discover cannot be used.

I wasn’t in a suite on the Summit, but our friends were and we had the opportunity to use the lounge for a little bit and see the sun deck. We were perfectly comfortable in the retreat, as we’re they. As for the sun deck, I’m a sun lover so that won’t be an issue for us. I always looks for loungers in the sun. However, I understand others prefer the shade. It seems like upon embarkation we had drinks up there and we were at a table in the shade. 

16 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I wasn’t in a suite on the Summit, but our friends were and we had the opportunity to use the lounge for a little bit and see the sun deck. We were perfectly comfortable in the retreat, as we’re they. As for the sun deck, I’m a sun lover so that won’t be an issue for us. I always looks for loungers in the sun. However, I understand others prefer the shade. It seems like upon embarkation we had drinks up there and we were at a table in the shade. 

The problem is the medication my husband is taking.  He cannot be in the sun too long.  I am thinking a lot of people have a similar issue.

• Like 2

We booked a Sky suite in 2019 after the Summit was refurbished and spent time in the inside lounge.  The old lounge was dark, but warm and comfy.  The new one is indeed uncomfortable... none of the chairs had armrests.. NONE.  The seating was unpleasant.  I'm thinking maybe they planned it that way so people would spend less time there.

6 minutes ago, st5310 said:

We booked a Sky suite in 2019 after the Summit was refurbished and spent time in the inside lounge.  The old lounge was dark, but warm and comfy.  The new one is indeed uncomfortable... none of the chairs had armrests.. NONE.  The seating was unpleasant.  I'm thinking maybe they planned it that way so people would spend less time there.

So if you are handicapped and need the arm rests to get up, you cannot use the suite areas

1 minute ago, Momma Rene said:

So if you are handicapped and need the arm rests to get up, you cannot use the suite areas

Perhaps.... I did not notice any chairs that had an armrest, even for the handicapped.  A lot of them were glorified ottomans with no armrests or back supports.  Anyway, my experience was a while ago, so maybe they've modified the seating .

• Haha 1

Momma, it sounds like The Retreat area might not work for you. There are cabanas available for rent but that would be additional cost, of course.

You may want to call Celebrity and see if they can do anything resolve your issues. Your shore-side concierge might be able to help if you call that person first. You may be able to pack a couple umbrella in your checked bags and your Retreat Host may be able to figure a way to connect them to the lounger of your choice.

If The Retreat area doesn't work for you the Solarium might work just as well, or better.

We don't use the pool or sun decks so it's not really an issue for us, as we book The Retreat for the staterooms and Luminae.

Good luck with your decision. Please share with us what you find out.

Edited by K12Guy
Added information.
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 10:55 AM, ItzRav said:

We’re in a suite on Millennium now.  While we haven’t actually sat down in the interior retreat lounge, we have gotten drinks to go from that lounges bar.  A very nice way to get a drink since so few people are there, plus both times we’ve asked for doubles we’ve gotten doubles, with the bartender saying “this is YOUR bar.”  Re the outdoors retreat sun deck, we did walk around it but didn’t stay because of the high heat and humidity.  However, a few people were there (some couples) relaxing in the sun.  Some of the “chairs” were some sort of large round-ish lounger with a cloth cover you could pull up and partially over you to help shield you from the sun.

A little off topic. Pre Covid19 Luminae was closed on port days for lunch. Is Luminae now open for lunch on PORT days on Millie? Thanks

We only sit in shade.    We look old enough already no don’t need the sun spots or wrinkles from the sun.   If there is no shade available we won’t be there.   We have lost several friends to Melanoma (45-60years of age) and it is a terrible cancer.    Fortunately, we have ways found places out of the sun to relax on a ship and never go outside with sunscreen.  

Thanks to everyone for their great advice.  We chose to be comfortable and change ships.  We still love Celebrity, however, when you are in a suite and paying the higher fare, you want to be able to use the suite amenities.  

We will be sailing on a non "revolutionized" ship.  We loved our experience on the Constellation -- warm, comfortable, lovely.  I guess for us at least, newer does not mean better.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2021 at 11:21 AM, st5310 said:

After our cruise on the Edge. I said never again would we cruise on the Edge class in suites. I had the same feeling as you did on Summit. Celebrity designed the space so you would spend more time elsewhere on the ship. We have Millie booked for next June. 

9 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

After our cruise on the Edge. I said never again would we cruise on the Edge class in suites. I had the same feeling as you did on Summit. Celebrity designed the space so you would spend more time elsewhere on the ship. We have Millie booked for next June. 

Millie has been "revolutionized".  Check the reviews on the suite lounge.  

• Like 1