New Alcohol Policy on HAL Questions

Sailfish

@Cruise Suzy   Thank you.  That is what I have heard from this forum in the past and for all my reading guessed that was the case.  I was watching a Vlogger yesterday and they said it was included and I did not think that was right.  Not a big deal for me but it is always good to understand the rules upfront.  Thank you and @kazu

22 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Not a big deal for me but it is always good to understand the rules upfront.

You could still ask for a cherry Coke at a bar - you might be able to get it. I know I've been able to get a Sprite Zero at some bars and not others. Sometimes in a can and sometimes fountain. It varies widely.

• Like 1

According to the FAQs on HAL's website, the Quench package is included in the Signature and Elite beverage packages -

Try one of our drink packages which offer great value and a convenient way to enhance your cruise experience.

ELITE PACKAGE

Only $59.95 per guest/per day*

Enjoy all the benefits from our Quench and Signature Packages and more! With the Elite Beverage Package you can enjoy all drinks menu priced $15 and under including Dale DeGroff’s Original Cocktails!

SIGNATURE PACKAGE

Only $54.95 per guest/per day*

Our Signature package includes everything from our Quench Package along with your favorite premium beers, spirits, cocktails, and wines by the glass priced $11 and under.

QUENCH PACKAGE

(NON-ALCOHOLIC)

Only $17.95 per guest/per day* Quench your thirst with our nonalcoholic package which includes an unlimited variety of premium coffees such as espresso and cappuccino, juices, Coca-Cola™ products, our signature mocktails, Red Bull, and bottled waters 500ml and under.

COCA-COLA™ PACKAGE

Only $8.00 per guest/per day*

The Coca-Cola™ Package includes unlimited fountain sodas for $8.00 per person, per day. On the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam this package also includes the Coca-Cola™ Freestyle program with more than 100 unique Coca-Cola™ flavors available.

* Prices are per person per day. Please see your server or bartender for a full list of items included in each package.

And the Quench package includes the Freestyle machines on the Pinnacle class ships - 

14 DAY QUENCH BEVERAGE PACKAGE

14 Day Quench Beverage Package

14 Day Quench Beverage Package

Price
$296.52
BUY NOW

14 DAY QUENCH BEVERAGE PACKAGE

Enjoy unlimited mocktails, juices, bottled water (sparkling 330ml or still 500ml), Exploration’s Café Beverages and sodas. Only on the ms Koningsdam, the package includes Freestyle Coca-Cola which provides 100+ refreshing Coca-Cola flavors to choose from. A 18% service charge will be automatically applied to your purchase. The Quench Beverage Package must be purchased for the entire duration of the voyage. All guests booked in the same stateroom must also purchase the package. The package is for unlimited non-alcoholic beverages. The package excludes purchases made in the Mini Bar, Chocolate Seduction, In-Room Dining, beverages purchased on Half Moon Cay. Packages are non-transferable or refundable. No sharing is permitted. Participants may order only one drink at a time. Beverage Management reserves the right to evoke the package if misused and reserves the right to refuse service for any reason.

• Like 1

@Overhead Fred I was going to post something similar last night, but realised that to extrapolate from the HAL website is dangerous!  HAL is the only website where 1 + 1 equals 404 Error 🙄

But you are correct.  That is what is states.  So print it and take it with you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/17/2021 at 9:05 PM, tuolumne couple said:

We are happy with whatever, however, in 2012, when this pic was taken, we felt like smugglers. On a 16 night Caribbean, and we celebrated like pirates and generously. Now of course we do not need to carry on that much any longer, but then, it was so worth it to have wine on our balcony pre- dinner. Anyone else carry on more than a case of wine back in the day?

a suitcase full of wine noordam 2012.JPG

In 2010 we were on the Eurodam, 7 day, had my two sisters and mom together in a large balcony cabin. We brought 3 cases of wine on board. No corkage fee at the pier (tipped the luggage guys excessively) or even when we brought them to the dining room or the cabana - no pictures!!! 🤣

We did, however, have a couple extra bottles we ended up passing on to people coming onto the ship or at the airport before going through security. I guess they didn't think 3 cases for the cabin was excessive then - haha!

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2021 at 10:11 AM, IPB4IGO said:

The new contract: Cruise Contract

And unless I missed it somewhere else in the Contract, it no longer states that the 2 bottles sans corkage fee are to be consumed in your stateroom.  Does that mean we can actually take those bottles to dinner instead of trying to be "covert" 😉 by pouring wine in a glass in the stateroom and taking that with us?

On 6/10/2021 at 1:51 PM, Roz said:

Could they make the font any smaller or lighter? ☹️ I can barely read it even with bifocals.  From what I can discern, it's a $20 corkage fee per bottle.  Yikes!

On my next HAL cruise we a beverage pkg. so it's hardly worth it to bother with bringing wine onboard.

Our travel agent was able to get us a beverage package too so we won't be bringing our own drinks onboard. 

39 minutes ago, zelker said:

And unless I missed it somewhere else in the Contract, it no longer states that the 2 bottles sans corkage fee are to be consumed in your stateroom.  Does that mean we can actually take those bottles to dinner instead of trying to be "covert" 😉 by pouring wine in a glass in the stateroom and taking that with us?

My PCC said all bottles are subject to corkage fee of $20 and she cut and pasted wording to that effect from HAL "revised beverage policy effective June 1, 2021". So there are no 2 bottles sans corkage fee, period.  And if a corkage fee has to be paid, I would certainly hope you could drink it anywhere you wanted! 1997919104_image001(1).thumb.png.25dbbd032ee94cdfda212a796b1ccfdf.png

5 minutes ago, Lindancer said:

My PCC said all bottles are subject to corkage fee of $20 and she cut and pasted wording to that effect from HAL "revised beverage policy effective June 1, 2021". So there are no 2 bottles sans corkage fee, period.  And if a corkage fee has to be paid, I would certainly hope you could drink it anywhere you wanted! 1997919104_image001(1).thumb.png.25dbbd032ee94cdfda212a796b1ccfdf.png

Read the new Contract.

34 minutes ago, Lindancer said:

I think HAL’s “know before you go” is not quite up to snuff.

This was posted earlier by Rick who was kind enough to share this portion out of this contract - copied and pasted:

On 5/31/2021 at 9:32 PM,  rajkr74 said: 
   9 hours ago,  rajkr74 said:

We received a copy of the new HAL CruiseContract from our TA and there are some changes concerning what and how much Non Alcoholic beverages you can bring on board.  Corkage fee is now $20 USD per bottle.  This is  the paragraph dealing with this.

Guests agree not to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholicbeverages on board for consumption or for any other use except as follows:

• For Guests of legal drinking age, an allowance of two (2) bottles of wine or champagne (750 mL in volume or less) per stateroom may be presented to security during embarkation.

• For world cruises, or cruises with consecutive voyages, this allowance can be multiplied by the number of segments that comprise the complete sailing. Items forfuturesegments/voyages will be held by the vessel and delivered on the first day of each segment. Guests should present theirdocumentation for any consecutive sailings to securityonboarding day.

• A US $20.00 corkage fee (which is subject to changewithout notice) will apply to each additional bottle (750 ml in volume or less) beyond the two (2) bottle allowance. Limitations apply. Wine brought inquantities deemed to be excessive by the vesselorsecurity will be refused.

• Guests are also prohibited from bringing water,sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. Asmall quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparklingwater,sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may bebrought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on inGuests’ hand luggage (not in checkedluggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces eachor less per person. Guests will be asked todiscard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.“

You might want to review your contract if it is available.  I suspect the 2 bottles per stateroom are still permitted.  At least, they seem to be for some.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Does that mean we can actually take those bottles to dinner instead of trying to be "covert" 😉 by pouring wine in a glass in the stateroom and taking that with us?

We  ALWAYS have...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rucrazy said:

LOL

You're funny! Can't wait!

I'm sure there's a stateroom with your names on it on our August 28th cruise to Alaska ... then we don't have to wait another 15 months to meet AND we can carry our wine bottles to the dining room together!! 🍷

Just now, zelker said:

I'm sure there's a stateroom with your names on it on our August 28th cruise to Alaska ... then we don't have to wait another 15 months to meet AND we can carry our wine bottles to the dining room together!! 🍷

Wish we could.. but we are booked until the middle of January.. Commitments!

But after January we have nothing until a small cruise in October! 😁 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 6:58 PM, Roz said:

@kazu, thanks for the clarification.  They sure make things confusing, don't they?  Looks like the lady who wants to bring on 12 cans of diet Dr. Pepper can do so.

Thanks!  My husband will be happy to hear this’

On 7/5/2021 at 3:33 PM, kazu said:

This was posted earlier by Rick who was kind enough to share this portion out of this contract - copied and pasted:

We received a copy of the new HAL CruiseContract from our TA and there are some changes concerning what and how much Non Alcoholic beverages you can bring on board.  Corkage fee is now $20 USD per bottle.  This is  the paragraph dealing with this.

Guests agree not to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholicbeverages on board for consumption or for any other use except as follows:

• For Guests of legal drinking age, an allowance of two (2) bottles of wine or champagne (750 mL in volume or less) per stateroom may be presented to security during embarkation.

• For world cruises, or cruises with consecutive voyages, this allowance can be multiplied by the number of segments that comprise the complete sailing. Items forfuturesegments/voyages will be held by the vessel and delivered on the first day of each segment. Guests should present theirdocumentation for any consecutive sailings to securityonboarding day.

• A US $20.00 corkage fee (which is subject to changewithout notice) will apply to each additional bottle (750 ml in volume or less) beyond the two (2) bottle allowance. Limitations apply. Wine brought inquantities deemed to be excessive by the vesselorsecurity will be refused.

• Guests are also prohibited from bringing water,sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. Asmall quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparklingwater,sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may bebrought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on inGuests’ hand luggage (not in checkedluggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces eachor less per person. Guests will be asked todiscard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.“

You might want to review your contract if it is available.  I suspect the 2 bottles per stateroom are still permitted.  At least, they seem to be for some.

Unless, of course, if HAL has revised the policy again. The date of rajkr’s post is 5-31 and the date on the KBYG is 6-1-21.

Ahoy!

I did contact CS regarding the new policy when it was first announced. My concern(s) at the time we’re fluids used for night time leg cramping for DW (e.g. electrolyte drinks, tonic water, etc.) that we used to bring aboard for longer cruises, etc. at embarkation.

I did receive the following ‘boiler plate’ reply:

Thank you for your email to Guest Relations at Holland America Line. First and foremost, we apologize for our delayed response.

We’re sorry for any discontent with our beverage policy, whereby guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages on board, with some exceptions, and plastic water bottles are prohibited. As our travelers know, environmental stewardship is very important to us and our beverage policy helps to support our sustainability program. To review our beverage policy and learn more about our commitment to sustainability and the environment please visit our website at www.hollandamerica.com.

You may contact our Ship Services department to inquire if they have electrolyte beverages and tonic waters on board for purchase or if they can arrange to provide them on board for you. They also have non-alcoholic soda cards and packages which can be purchased. Their email address is HAL_Ship_Services@HollandAmerica.com.

We appreciate your comments and your patronage. We have forwarded your concerns to the appropriate management for their information and review. We hope to welcome you and Mrs. XXXX aboard another sailing in the future.

And so it goes…

We’ll see how things go.

Be well.

Bob

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 5:33 PM, kazu said:

This is old news.  All bottles are subject to the $20 corkage.  You need to search ("google") for new revised Holland America beverage policy.

6 hours ago, prescottbob said:

Ahoy!

I did contact CS regarding the new policy when it was first announced. My concern(s) at the time we’re fluids used for night time leg cramping for DW (e.g. electrolyte drinks, tonic water, etc.) that we used to bring aboard for longer cruises, etc. at embarkation.

I did receive the following ‘boiler plate’ reply:

Thank you for your email to Guest Relations at Holland America Line. First and foremost, we apologize for our delayed response.

We’re sorry for any discontent with our beverage policy, whereby guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages on board, with some exceptions, and plastic water bottles are prohibited. As our travelers know, environmental stewardship is very important to us and our beverage policy helps to support our sustainability program. To review our beverage policy and learn more about our commitment to sustainability and the environment please visit our website at www.hollandamerica.com.

You may contact our Ship Services department to inquire if they have electrolyte beverages and tonic waters on board for purchase or if they can arrange to provide them on board for you. They also have non-alcoholic soda cards and packages which can be purchased. Their email address is HAL_Ship_Services@HollandAmerica.com.

We appreciate your comments and your patronage. We have forwarded your concerns to the appropriate management for their information and review. We hope to welcome you and Mrs. XXXX aboard another sailing in the future.

And so it goes…

We’ll see how things go.

Be well.

Bob

If SS isn’t able to help, has your DW tried topical magnesium? ( depending on which electrolytes she usually drinks/ uses). I’ve had good results when my oral supplements need assistance.

• 1 year later...

We were on a Singapore to Singapore cruise to Thailand and Malaysia on the Westerdam last month.  We brought two bottles of red wine and two of white with us.  One of the bottles of white was in our carryon and the other three were in our "checked" luggage.  When we got to the carryon x-ray machine we let the person running it know we had a bon voyage bottle in our carryon and that we'd have have to pay corkage for it.  They said don't worry about it.  We also never got charged for the other three bottles.

We drank the two whites in our room (they had screw tops so opening them was not an issue) and it was so hot and humid we didn't feel like drinking the reds so they cruised with us and got off the boat with is.

If one every cruises to Singapore be careful if your last stop is in Malaysia before arriving in Singapore.  Evidently all alcohol from Malaysia is taxed when coming into Singapore.  There were a lot of other cruisers who were getting off in Singapore.  Several of them had bought liquor in Malaysia in the duty free shops and when they tried to bring it in to Singapore they were being asked to pay tax on them.   The tax was running about $30 to $40 Singapore dollars per bottle.

I was stopped because of the red wine I brought in even though I explained I had brought it from the US and we just didn't drink on the ship.  We had paid $95 and $70 for the bottles so we were going to pay the tax because we didn't want to lose the wine.  When it came time to pay for them the tax agent asked a lot of questions including how much I had paid for the wine.  They asked for receipts for the bottles but since I'd bought them several years ago I didn't have them.  I think they looked up the wine on the internet and found out that winery doesn't distribute and eventually let me through with the bottles without having to pay tax on them.

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2021 at 12:51 PM, Roz said:

Could they make the font any smaller or lighter? ☹️ I can barely read it even with bifocals.  From what I can discern, it's a $20 corkage fee per bottle.  Yikes!

On my next HAL cruise we a beverage pkg. so it's hardly worth it to bother with bringing wine onboard.

Not trying to be sarcastic, but I believe the small print on the post was to cut down on space. If you click on the link the print is quite large and easy to read.

Even without the beverage package I agree it is no longer viable to bring wine onboard unless it is a special bottle for a special occasion.

The 2 dollar increase in corkage fee in the MDR is not a big issue, but the 20 dollar increase to have it in your room is a disappointment. 

On 6/10/2021 at 2:09 PM, kazu said:

HAL really needs to get their website in order.  Two bottles of wine are still permitted according to an email received from HAL by another CC member.  

Their web site does say you can bring wine on board still just that they now charge 20 dollars per bottle.