With the new ruling more or less likely to sail in July

maddi730

4 hours ago, vicky3vicky said:

Okay, if because of Desantis, Carnival [and other cruise lines] will be unable to enforce a vaccination requirement does that mean that outside of Florida I can still feel comfortable that my fellow passengers  [and staff] will be vaccinated? 

Though I am vaccinated, I am among the tens of millions of Americans who, for health reasons, most likely received little or no protection from the vaccine. I have not yet been tested and there is talk of a third jab for people like me, which of course I will get if it seems  likely to help. 

My plan had been to wear my mask if testing does not show me well protected. I am fine with, and happy for the vaccinated people not wearing masks but I cannit go on a cruise where unvaccinated feel free to spread.

I was so excited to be able to take a cruise with only vaccinated people. I will be cruising Panorama out of Long Beach. If Carnival allows unvaxed in Florida will that be the case in California as well?

There really is no way to know yet, but cruising out of California and Baltimore might have a good chance of vaccinated cruises.  However, precaution should be taken if flying to your cruise port.  I just returned from a trip.  Snacks and drinks were served on the plane.  No covid tests or proof of vaccination required.  People were removing their masks constantly to eat and drink.  That might be something to consider, unless you plan on driving.

As of right now, Carnival states it is sailing with vaccinated passengers for July and August out of Texas and Florida.  I don't think anyone knows yet what will happen for September cruises.  California would be my best guess for an entirely vaccinated cruise.  Just a guess.  

This link has a list of the cruise lines and if they are sailing with vaccinated passengers:

https://www.travelandleisure.com/cruises/cruises-that-allow-vaccinated-travelers

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

There really is no way to know yet, but cruising out of California and Baltimore might have a good chance of vaccinated cruises.  However, precaution should be taken flying.  I just returned from a trip.  Snacks and drinks were served on the plane.  No covid tests or proof of vaccination required.  People were removing their masks constantly to eat and drink.  That might be something to conthsider, unless you plan on driving.

As of right now, Carnival states it is sailing with vaccinated passengers for July and August out of Texas and Florida.  I don't think anyone knows yet what will happen for September cruises.  California would be my best guess for an entirely vaccinated cruise.  Just a guess.  

This link has a list of the cruise lines and if they are sailing with vaccinated passengers:

https://www.travelandleisure.com/cruises/cruises-that-allow-vaccinated-travelers

Thanks for the link!

• Like 2

If a person is immunocompromised, isn't a cruise ship near the top of the list of places one should avoid, even without a pandemic?

Norovirus is a virtual guarantee of hospitization for immunocompromised and Zika is still pretty rampant in most of the places cruises visit.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

If a person is immunocompromised, isn't a cruise ship near the top of the list of places one should avoid, even without a pandemic?

Norovirus is a virtual guarantee of hospitization for immunocompromised and Zika is still pretty rampant in most of the places cruises visit.  

Actually Norovirus is everywhere. You hear about it on a ship for news stories (warranted or not) because people are around each other more than passing in a hotel or restaurant. Not necessarily because of  repeated interactions with each other or others but because you are all in the same place and time to know and hear about each other instead of at home to never see each other again. each week they are a certain number that has to be reported again. It's like a small city reporting all of it's data at once, weekly.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

Sadly I just read of someone on a august cruise whose aunt is partially on oxygen who was called by carnival and cancelled. I'm sad for them, but also thinking a cruise to international ports in the next 2 months maybe not a good idea.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

Actually Norovirus is everywhere. You hear about it on a ship for news stories (warranted or not) because people are around each other more than passing in a hotel or restaurant. Not necessarily because of  repeated interactions with each other or others but because you are all in the same place and time to know and hear about each other instead of at home to never see each other again. each week they are a certain number that has to be reported again. It's like a small city reporting all of it's data at once, weekly.

Noro is everywhere, and I think you might be safer on a cruise ship with their enhanced cleaning protocols and reduction in self-service.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Sadly I just read of someone on a august cruise whose aunt is partially on oxygen who was called by carnival and cancelled. I'm sad for them, but also thinking a cruise to international ports in the next 2 months maybe not a good idea.

I agree.  First, there is the travel to the cruise port.  If by air, then there are people who will remove their masks at times on a crowded plane.  Nobody has had a covid test.  Then there's the airport itself.  If driving, there are restaurants and restrooms where people will not be wearing masks.  Then there are the ports, where everyone probably will not be vaccinated.  I think high risk people may want to give a lot of thought before traveling so soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hear you BlerkOne, I’m compromised, fully vaccinated, live a low risk lifestyle, wear masks indoors, take all precautions and am driving to port to get on a cruise where the cruise line has implemented really strong health & safety protocols after implementing them on other brands in other parts of the world since last summer showing that with these protocols ships are actually safer than land travel. And I choose to travel solo and continue to exercise additional protocols for myself and others while on board. 

Edited by bdever
Spelling

The cdc has required the medical facilities onboard to be redone to handle covid and says they have oxygen and other new equipment is why they cant at this time accept people who specifically are on oxygen. I've seen someone here post and just saw another get called today. 

Someone who is on oxygen is also usually older. The one I read was her aunt, so older than she and her husband. If you fill out the medical hc form and say you are on oxygen, it seems you will get a call. She was upset because in the past it was allowed. 

I havent seen the new medical facilities and why they are crowded with covid equipment. But I did read about requiring it by the cdc. .. and another cruise line says it in their protocols..not sure why carnival doesnt list it but calls people on the telephone. As far as I know that's the only health condition they have turned away. There was a post here on cc a few weeks ago I saw same thing.

Does anyone know Carnival's current cancellation policy related to Covid?  We are booked on a Sept 3 cruise out of Miami and I believe it will more than likely sail but due to a swarm of issues we want to push that back if possible.  My wife is having medical issues and won't have the ability to get the vaccine before we leave, not to mention medical issues with her father causing us to wonder whether it makes sense to be in the middle of nowhere while he's sick.

TIA

3 hours ago, ajm said:

I'm in the same situation as yourself.  I was tested and do have some antibodies but it is a very small number.  I'm hoping they figure out the third booster shot for us.  Right now, I just don't feel comfortable on cruises at all.  I'm even avoiding most public areas since you just don't know who is vaccinated and who isn't.  

Hopefully soon we can feel the euphoria others are getting with the vaccine and everything opening up!

The antibodies do not tell the story.  If you've had the virus, your blood has T-cells that can reproduce antibodies when you're exposed into the distant future.  Antibodies go away over time, T-cells do not.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Does anyone know Carnival's current cancellation policy related to Covid?  We are booked on a Sept 3 cruise out of Miami and I believe it will more than likely sail but due to a swarm of issues we want to push that back if possible.  My wife is having medical issues and won't have the ability to get the vaccine before we leave, not to mention medical issues with her father causing us to wonder whether it makes sense to be in the middle of nowhere while he's sick.

TIA

Call your PVP or your TA.  You can push back your sailing even if you have a nonrefundable deposit.   You have not made final payment yet.  Just make sure you have an alternative cruise chosen before you call.  It's  not like they will give you an open credit, you need something concrete to flip your current reservation to.

32 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Call your PVP or your TA.  You can push back your sailing even if you have a nonrefundable deposit.   You have not made final payment yet.  Just make sure you have an alternative cruise chosen before you call.  It's  not like they will give you an open credit, you need something concrete to flip your current reservation to.

Thanks for the info.  We have been paid in full for a while but are past the final payment window by a couple days.  We booked directly through the website so will have to call CS... ugh..   Maybe I should request a PVP to make it easier....  And yes we have a target cruise in site next year.

Thanks!

11 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Noro is everywhere, and I think you might be safer on a cruise ship with their enhanced cleaning protocols and reduction in self-service.

I'm proud of you. Finally using logic instead of panic (wipes a tear away).

If we've learned anything in the past, we know that noro isn't a cruise-only thing, nor is it as common as we are meant to believe. It's an founded fear we've created because it has happened to a small percentage of people in a small percentage of cruises. Anytime you have a controlled study of 2-5k people, you're likely to find something. I wonder if there are any other parallels to that type logic....

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Thanks for the info.  We have been paid in full for a while but are past the final payment window by a couple days.  We booked directly through the website so will have to call CS... ugh..   Maybe I should request a PVP to make it easier....  And yes we have a target cruise in site next year.

Thanks!

Just be sure to say you need to push the cruise back because you can't be certain that everyone in your party can meet the COVID requirements in time for the sailing. They will let you rebook with no penalties.