With the new ruling more or less likely to sail in July

maddi730

1 hour ago, ChutChut said:

Not in FL as the Legislature already has spoken and requiring vax verification is prohibited. As the ports are mostly state-owned, they will not and cannot implement any protocol in violation of state law.

The implication is foreign ports.  See the points guy list of Caribbean ports:  https://thepointsguy.com/guide/avoiding-caribbean-covid-19/?utm_source=TPG Curated Daily Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2486593&utm_usr=bf069b5cc9c7230e080720fd533c617b4f3af2c697fe734c077b58616f45eddc&utm_msg=b06c3ffd97c546138a76c33c77b236ed&utm_date=2021-06-20

Europe and Asia are other ballgames.

Edited by evandbob

Carnival may do as it wishes. However, in FL, there are consequences to violating its laws.

A law that has not been tested in court, despite the misinformation to the contrary, and many think is unconstitutional. Should be easier to get an injunction against it, if Florida doesn't accommodate cruise lines (and they won't).

17 hours ago, klfrodo said:

My opinion only but I don't think this is the final ruling. There are many more appeals and levels of court before anything is finalized.

Of course not. We have to see what July 2 brings and then July 18th, and then a lengthy trial.

Correct and, as such, FL's law is valid and in force. If Carnival, etc. chooses to violate it, it/they will be incurring millions of dollars in fines per sailing out of FL.

You really think that the legal department at Carnival hasn't found a loophole to get around the law?  They certainly are not going to pay millions of dollars in fines when they have done nothing but bleed money for the past 15 months.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, caugh51654 said:

One reason why I am booking after school starts in most of the country - 3rd week in August.

Traveling solo, my favorite cruise was over Thanksgiving. There were approximately a billion kids onboard, and being a family sort of holiday the families were sticking together with the kids a lot. I spent all my onboard time in the adults-only part of the ship was extremely uncrowded, you could sit wherever and walk right up to the bar and get a drink straightaway, it was great!

On 6/19/2021 at 10:48 AM, rabidstoat said:

A number of vaccinated people don't want to cruise if they have to wear a mask.

Maybe this will allow cruises to say "unvaccinated wear masks and vaccinated don't have to" and let them mingle without having special spaces set aside, like the CSO requires. And not require test cruises.

Heck, the cruises could go 'honor system' on masks, I suppose, which would effectively be 'wear a mask if you feel like it otherwise don't.'

The cruise line are not going with an honor system, period. It would be a liability to do so. The CDC will come up with modifications to the CSO guidelines that Carnival will adopt but keep in mind that this could in theory mean treatment of the cruise lines like other forms of mass transportation: 1. Not testing, 2. No proof of vaccination status, 3. No social distancing, 4. Masks mandatory for all passengers over the age of 2 unless outdoors/socially distanced or when actively eating or drinking.

20 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I think Carnival could do this if they wanted to, but I don't think it's necessary because they already have a plan in place for July and August cruises.  I really don't see them making any changes to their July and August cruises.  

RCL is making all of those rules because they are using a different approach.  Carnival flat out said they were sailing vaccinated, so I'll bet the majority of unvaccinated have already cancelled or asked for an exemption.

Carnival could implement these protocols very easily starting with September sailings assuming the CDC relaxes guidelines for the percentage of unvaccinated passengers allowed to sail. It would be wise to do so if a larger percentage of passengers were unvaccinated.

On 6/19/2021 at 11:12 AM, firefly333 said:

I think will have zero effect july and probably august.

It's about protocols changing sooner than nov 1st, not about sailing or not sailing. 

The 5% unvaccinated allowance could change and protocols into sept and forward could allow more children ... hence the title of the other thread ..children can sail ..though new protocols going forward might be subject to change regarding children.. I dont see this affecting anything but the 5%. Which in turn affects mask policy. 

I don't see how it doesn't affect the July / August cruises.  Since the judge threw out the CDC order (at least temporarily), the cruise lines now cannot legally ask for vaccination proof, which they 100% planned to do for July / August.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

I don't see how it doesn't affect the July / August cruises.  Since the judge threw out the CDC order (at least temporarily), the cruise lines now cannot legally ask for vaccination proof, which they 100% planned to do for July / August.  

Carnival still might be able to get around the law by stating they are following CDC guidelines.

"The injunction is stayed until July 18, when the CDC's orders will be considered "recommendations" or "guidelines," the judge said in the order."

On 6/19/2021 at 12:29 PM, deliver42 said:

It's true.. The vaccine passport hasn't even been brought up.

Looks like all the cruise lines found a way around the FL requirements, rendering them moot.

Cruise lines are going to do what's safe for their passengers.  They DO NOT want an outbreak as they all start back up.

I can't foresee any changes until 2022 with the Vaccine requirements.

Also, the cruise lines have stipulated any non-vaccinated or those who don't offer proof of vaccination are going to pay more (for additional testing) and have more restrictions placed on them for masks and places they can go.

That, in effect, will limit those who are unvaccinated to children, which was the cruise lines' intent.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Looks like all the cruise lines found a way around the FL requirements, rendering them moot.

Cruise lines are going to do what's safe for their passengers.  They DO NOT want an outbreak as they all start back up.

I can't foresee any changes until 2022 with the Vaccine requirements.

Also, the cruise lines have stipulated any non-vaccinated or those who don't offer proof of vaccination are going to pay more (for additional testing) and have more restrictions placed on them for masks and places they can go.

That, in effect, will limit those who are unvaccinated to children, which was the cruise lines' intent.

I agree.  We are going to keep our reservation for Thanksgiving for now but will have backup vacation options in case we have to cancel since we have small children.  No way we would get them the vaccine if it was approved but I don't think it will be approved by that time anyways with the myocarditis issue with vaccines with teen boys right now.  The CDC and the medical leaders are meeting this week about it and what their next step will be.  Allowing 5% to cruise unvaccinated (children) probably won't happen.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

I agree.  We are going to keep our reservation for Thanksgiving for now but will have backup vacation options in case we have to cancel since we have small children.  No way we would get them the vaccine if it was approved but I don't think it will be approved by that time anyways with the myocarditis issue with vaccines with teen boys right now.  The CDC and the medical leaders are meeting this week about it and what their next step will be.  Allowing 5% to cruise unvaccinated (children) probably won't happen.

Totally understand.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Okay, if because of Desantis, Carnival [and other cruise lines] will be unable to enforce a vaccination requirement does that mean that outside of Florida I can still feel comfortable that my fellow passengers  [and staff] will be vaccinated? 

Though I am vaccinated, I am among the tens of millions of Americans who, for health reasons, most likely received little or no protection from the vaccine. I have not yet been tested and there is talk of a third jab for people like me, which of course I will get if it seems  likely to help. 

My plan had been to wear my mask if testing does not show me well protected. I am fine with, and happy for the vaccinated people not wearing masks but I cannit go on a cruise where unvaccinated feel free to spread.

I was so excited to be able to take a cruise with only vaccinated people. I will be cruising Panorama out of Long Beach. If Carnival allows unvaxed in Florida will that be the case in California as well?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

Okay, if because of Desantis, Carnival [and other cruise lines] will be unable to enforce a vaccination requirement does that mean that outside of Florida I can still feel comfortable that my fellow passengers  [and staff] will be vaccinated? 

Though I am vaccinated, I am among the tens of millions of Americans who, for health reasons, most likely received little or no protection from the vaccine. I have not yet been tested and there is talk of a third jab for people like me, which of course I will get if it seems  likely to help. 

My plan had been to wear my mask if testing does not show me well protected. I am fine with, and happy for the vaccinated people not wearing masks but I cannit go on a cruise where unvaccinated feel free to spread.

I was so excited to be able to take a cruise with only vaccinated people. I will be cruising Panorama out of Long Beach. If Carnival allows unvaxed in Florida will that be the case in California as well?

I am feeling the same way.  My bestie is on anti rejection medication and even though she is vaccinated is still at risk.  We are booked on the panorama 8/28 and are hoping it remains a vaccinated cruise only.  I know the time will come that everybody  will be cruising, and I look forward to it, but when it is safe for everyone.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vicky3vicky said:

Vicky, you and I are exactly in the same situation and in the same boat (Panorama). I think we are safer. When is your sailing? Honestly Carnival is putting our health & safety as a priority and their restart protocols are pretty solid and we are sailing out of a state with one of the lowest transmission rates in the US. What we need to remember is follow the protocols and also wear masks 😷 while indoors on board where social distancing isn’t possible. Also maintain social distance from others not in your travel bubble while on board whenever possible. It’s worth it for the immune compromised to take these extra steps. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CthyC said:

I am feeling the same way.  My bestie is on anti rejection medication and even though she is vaccinated is still at risk.  We are booked on the panorama 8/28 and are hoping it remains a vaccinated cruise only.  I know the time will come that everybody  will be cruising, and I look forward to it, but when it is safe for everyone.  

Hi Cathy, you, Vicky and I are on a pretty amazing ship out of a state with a good track record for mitigation. I’m confident we are in a good spot but we can also take extra precautions for the safety and health of ourselves and other vaccinated at-risk passengers while on board. 

• Like 2

On 6/20/2021 at 3:00 PM, bdever said:

The CDC will come up with modifications to the CSO guidelines that Carnival will adopt..

How can you know this will happen .. isnt it also possible the cdc again does nothing and files a appeal?

I hope so but dont have any faith the cdc will do this... Let alone state it as a fact. 

11 hours ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

I dont think this case affects july and august because carnival has pretty much said these are the protocols for these 2 months only.

I think carnival wouldnt change their rules for these 2 months after they finally, at long last, made a decision.

It could affect cruises that carnival hasnt said anything about yet, from sept on .. I dont know. None of us know. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tippyton said:

Sitting out this dance.  We won't get out on the floor until the DJ decides what the music theme is.

I was reading cruise critic Chris who did adventure questions and answers and it made me think twice. It is suggested that I make reservations for the buffet? How do I know what time I want breakfast. I want to sip on coffee and wake up, then have breakfast. I dont know what time I want to eat.

It made me think twice. No lolly gagging in the buffet over a cup of coffee with a book.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

I was reading cruise critic Chris who did adventure questions and answers and it made me think twice. It is suggested that I make reservations for the buffet? How do I know what time I want breakfast. I want to sip on coffee and wake up, then have breakfast. I dont know what time I want to eat.

It made me think twice. No lolly gagging in the buffet over a cup of coffee with a book.

Plenty of other things DW and I can do.  No cruising for us next year either.  We'll have better luck with the carnies on the boardwalk as opposed to the three-ring circus and the dancing monkeys.  Speaking of which, Costa Rica is on our agenda next year...

• Like 1