Silver Spirits Drinks Package

luv2cruzuk

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Yes, I know it's from OZ which is where we were first introduced to it but we can buy it in Colorado at Costco, Target, Walmart, pretty much everywhere so that would have no bearing on a ship having to be in OZ to stock it. 

So is your "no" a definitive "no", as in you know for sure they don't stock it?

Based on a Q/A we had with the Hotel GM on the Viking Sun, he mentioned that most of the stores come from a central warehouse in Germany and are shipped by container to the ships around the world. However, they also do purchase some items locally.

You can always send a request to Viking, asking if they can stock a preferred item. At least on the World Cruises, they will provide this service, provided they have sufficient lead time.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, zelker said:

Since we're on the subject of adult beverages, does anyone know if they carry Bundaberg Ginger Beer onboard ... it's our fav and the only brand we use for Moscow Mules.

Barritt's is pretty good. You also might try a Dark 'n Stormy (rum actually has flavor).

• Like 1

Gosling's is our favorite not sure what they use on the ships.  I usually order something we dont drink at home...Caipirinha, chocolate or expresso martini, Cosmopolitans.......hmmm can you tell I currently in a countdown until we board and will be warm!!!  I still haven't tried all the drinks on the Bar Menu!!!

If there is something special that you enjoy drinking but are not sure if it will be aboard....or enough of it..., you can bring your favorite along with you, no charge, no hassle, alcohol or mixer.  The bartenders will all be happy to pour or mix your favorite.  They did run out of Coke Zero last trip but many docks are close to grocery stores so it wasn't an issue for us.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, deec said:

Gosling's is our favorite not sure what they use on the ships.  I usually order something we dont drink at home...Caipirinha, chocolate or expresso martini, Cosmopolitans.......hmmm can you tell I currently in a countdown until we board and will be warm!!!  I still haven't tried all the drinks on the Bar Menu!!!

Gosling's actually has some sort of trademark on the name. You don't want to offer/advertise a Dark 'n Stormy in a large hotel chain and not use their rum. They have been known to sue. People like you and me like to experiment ----- Plantation OFTD, Kraken, etc.

On the Viking Venus, the bar tender in the Aquavit Terrace bar (behind the World Café) made a "golden margarita". I'm not sure what else went into it, but we managed to drink a few during our meals there.  Yes, he saw us coming and made them before we even sat down. Enjoy!

• Like 2

That's a cocktail with several different variations, so one bartender's recipe won't necessarily match another's.

It tends to refer to the use of gold, rather than white, tequilla.  However, in some locales, it also indicates the addition of an orange flavored spirit such as triple sec or grand marnier.   It can also have additional flavor ingredients.

I am really enjoying the way that this thread has become rather 'edgy'.  I am more and more convinced that we should buy the package and try the many wonderful and strange drinks everyone is mentioning. 

I have no idea what "SOP" means.  Should I ask the barman ?  Perhaps I should just enjoy whatever concoction he thinks would suit me.  A golden martini sounds great despite the individual constituents varying.

I may need assistance getting back to my cabin.  On the other hand a slight fogginess of the brain may help if I meet fellow guests who are not convivial and are serial complainers.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, mc_reeve said:

SOP - standard operating procedure (i.e., adding an orange liqueur to a margarita is considered a standard part of making one.)

Adding amaretto is not - but is sometimes done and makes a better margarita IMO.

Doesn't make it a better margarita, makes it something else.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Famsw said:

On the Viking Venus, the bar tender in the Aquavit Terrace bar (behind the World Café) made a "golden margarita". I'm not sure what else went into it, but we managed to drink a few during our meals there.  Yes, he saw us coming and made them before we even sat down. Enjoy!

Glad you and your group liked the golden margaritas!  Aaron the bartender at the pool bar on the Orion turned me on to the Goldern variety on my Bermuda cruise. it was with Patron and Grand Marnier.  Also loved the capherinia (sp), the Brazilian rum drink. best drink when it is hot outside.  did not like Dark and Stormy because I found out Idid not like  ginger beer. 

Mrs. Miggins,

yes, get to know the bartenders. They love to introduce you to a new drink.  My sister who does not drink got wonderful original mocktails made by  Aaron  and other bartenders. 

Cheers!

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 3

On a recent cruise the ‘signature’ espresso martini had Amarula as an ingredient. I found it far too sweet. After a lot of discussion and experimentation we settled on substituting the Amarula with Kahlua and adding an extra large splosh of Van Gogh Double Espresso Vodka.

Deary me 🥳

I had to fly the ‘B’ flag …. Loading discharging or carrying explosives … ish 🤪

Gorgeous…..😵💫

• Haha 1

I have a question, what tonics are the standard ones offered onboard.  If I am to upgrade for some nicer gins, I will want decent tonic.  Unfortunately on Azamara they use the most awful Royal Club which ruins any nice gins

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Going back to the ginger beer question, KBs Dad thinks that fever tree tonics are available as mixers, if so they do a decent ginger beer

I hope that's not all they offer as neither of us can drink the stuff (too spicy, gingery - makes throat burn).  Think we're just going to run over to Publix in Fort Lauderdale which is a 5 minute walk from our hotel and buy a 4 pack of Bundaberg to take onboard along with a bottle or two of my fav wine which I don't think Viking stocks either (Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zelker said:

I hope that's not all they offer as neither of us can drink the stuff (too spicy, gingery - makes throat burn).  Think we're just going to run over to Publix in Fort Lauderdale which is a 5 minute walk from our hotel and buy a 4 pack of Bundaberg to take onboard along with a bottle or two of my fav wine which I don't think Viking stocks either (Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio).

I know not what it's like, I don't like ginger in any format, other than ginger nut biscuits. (top dunkers!) Fever tree stuff is fairly powerful, they're designed to be diluted by other things, such as gin😊

The major plus of Vikings drinks policy: no need to smuggle booze on board! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KBs mum said:

I know not what it's like, I don't like ginger in any format, other than ginger nut biscuits. (top dunkers!) Fever tree stuff is fairly powerful, they're designed to be diluted by other things, such as gin😊

The major plus of Vikings drinks policy: no need to smuggle booze on board! 

Now that's bringing back memories, Ginger snap biscuits for dunking in the tea.🙂