Restaurant and Galley

RMA888

It will depend on the ship's layout, but all ships I worked on, or have cruised on, the alternative restaurants have separate galleys.

Even the Viking Ocean ships, which have 1 large galley, have separate areas within the galley for the MDR, both alternative restaurants and cabin service. Each of the alternative restaurants and MDR have an individual Sous-Chef in charge of their respetive areas. The Buffet is a separate galley.

Many ships have prep rooms for meats, fish, veg, fruit, etc. which are close to the main store-rooms that supply product to all the galleys.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

It will depend on the ship's layout, but all ships I worked on, or have cruised on, the alternative restaurants have separate galleys.

Even the Viking Ocean ships, which have 1 large galley, have separate areas within the galley for the MDR, both alternative restaurants and cabin service. Each of the alternative restaurants and MDR have an individual Sous-Chef in charge of their respetive areas. The Buffet is a separate galley.

Many ships have prep rooms for meats, fish, veg, fruit, etc. which are close to the main store-rooms that supply product to all the galleys.

This has been my experience on the ships I've worked.  A lot depends on how many decks separate the main galley from the specialty restaurants.  The further apart, the more likely to have separate galleys, though some items on the specialty menu may be produced or partially produced in the main galley for finishing in the specialty galley.

As Andy says, there are various prep rooms that will clean, portion, and chop items to be supplied to all the various galleys, as well as bakeries and pastry and dessert areas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

What different charges? Several cruise lines do not charge for specialty restaurants. 

I daresay that far more ships charge for specialty restaurants than the number of ships that include specialties in the regular fare.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, RMA888 said:

Does anyone know if the food service in specialty restaurants and various Lounges or coastal kitchen all came from the chef of the main galley?

16 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

11 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

As Andy says, there are various prep rooms that will clean, portion, and chop items to be supplied to all the various galleys, as well as bakeries and pastry and dessert areas.

OP,

If your ship offers a Behind the Scene tour, while it won't be inexpensive probably, taking such a tour will provide you with a better understanding how the dining on a ship works.  The above two posts describe the situation quite well.  

6 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I know on Carnival, the Steakhouse certainly has it's own team dedicated to that

Their Steakhouses do have their own galley and is worth every penny I have ever spent in one.  Sometimes, they have cooking/tasting demonstrations in the Steakhouse with the Steakhouse's Chef preparing one or two of their specialties.  Worth attending!  And, try to get a front row seat.  

All I know is wherever I go to eat, friendly folk provide pretty good food!  I appreciate it very much!!  I never really thought much about where it was cooked.  Now I know.   

21 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

I daresay that far more ships charge for specialty restaurants than the number of ships that include specialties in the regular fare.

He knows that. He just can’t pass up an opportunity to act like nothing other than his preferred line exists. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

On MS Rotterdam the Pinnacle Grill was handled by the same galley as MDR IIRC. 

You are referring to the older Rotterdam, as no one has sailed on the new Rotterdam yet. We have toured the Koningsdam (same class of ship as Rotterdam), and I believe most, but not all, cooking is done in the main galley for all the restaurants, except specialty stuff where the food is cooked in front of you, the pizza place and a couple other restaurants on the higher decks. 

36 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

On MS Rotterdam the Pinnacle Grill was handled by the same galley as MDR IIRC. 

Not from what I have observed during my Behind the Scenes Tours.  The Pinnacle Grill Galley is a small galley that, yes, is physically connected with the MDR galley, but has its own Chef and its own galley staff.  

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Not from what I have observed during my Behind the Scenes Tours.  The Pinnacle Grill Galley is a small galley that, yes, is physically connected with the MDR galley, but has its own Chef and its own galley staff.  

There are all kinds of "stations" in the main galley, roasting, soup, salad, dessert, etc, and some of those are for the specialty restaurants.  Each station has its own Sous Chef or Chef Tournant in charge of a team that only works that station.

10 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

There are all kinds of "stations" in the main galley, roasting, soup, salad, dessert, etc, and some of those are for the specialty restaurants.  Each station has its own Sous Chef or Chef Tournant in charge of a team that only works that station.

What I have seen is a distinctly separate galley for the Pinnacle Grill.  What takes place within that space, of course, I have no idea as to the division of labor.  If such labor takes place between that galley and the MDR's galley.  

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

What I have seen is a distinctly separate galley for the Pinnacle Grill.  What takes place within that space, of course, I have no idea as to the division of labor.  If such labor takes place between that galley and the MDR's galley.  

I think I was mistaken. I remember going through the "main galley" en being surprised that we ended up in the Pinnacle Grill. This site also says it's a seperate galley https://www.backstagetraveler.com/2011/09/galley-tour-aboard-holland-america.html

• Like 1