Countdown......Fly Me to the Moon...........

Lois R

16 minutes ago, cinbeach said:

Thanks Lois and no problem whenever you can please post about it.  I don't leave until July 24.  And most importantly HAVE FUN.

Thanks Cindy.🙂

So…as I am pulling my documents together, just the CDC vaccine card is enough? It’s basically all we have to show proof of vaccination. Anyone else take anything else? I have printed out copies of my VAX appointment confirmation just because I’m neurotic. 

6 minutes ago, FLRI said:

So…as I am pulling my documents together, just the CDC vaccine card is enough? It’s basically all we have to show proof of vaccination. Anyone else take anything else? I have printed out copies of my VAX appointment confirmation just because I’m neurotic. 

You need to fill out a PLF........it is a form that the Greek Government requires.  Click on this link and follow the instructions:

Protocol for Arrivals in Greece - travel.gov.gr

45 minutes ago, Lois R said:

You need to fill out a PLF........it is a form that the Greek Government requires.  Click on this link and follow the instructions:

Protocol for Arrivals in Greece - travel.gov.gr

Thank you, already did that a few days ago. It’s more that it just seems weird with all these protocols that all we can get by with just a little VAX card!

56 minutes ago, FLRI said:

Thank you, already did that a few days ago. It’s more that it just seems weird with all these protocols that all we can get by with just a little VAX card!

Well, for the folks who have not been vaxxed? They have to give a copy of their recent negative test. So either way, Greece is only asking for 1 form of proof.

6 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Well, for the folks who have not been vaxxed? They have to give a copy of their recent negative test. So either way, Greece is only asking for 1 form of proof.

Well, we all know the feeling when we pack…always feel like we are forgetting or missing something!

Hello friends😀well I said I may not post but here I am in the United Polaris Lounge in Newark Airport. So far so good. FREE food and drinks and lots of space. My flight leaves at 6:00 and I arrive In Athens tomorrow morning at 10:30. I am still sort of in shock that I am a actually on my way😀

• Like 15

8 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hello friends😀well I said I may not post but here I am in the United Polaris Lounge in Newark Airport. So far so good. FREE food and drinks and lots of space. My flight leaves at 6:00 and I arrive In Athens tomorrow morning at 10:30. I am still sort of in shock that I am a actually on my way😀

How exciting. Have a wonderful time !  

Lois, have a great time. You will have to try not to! Everything has been fabulous. Incredible, eager crew, sparkling new ship, great ports and great new venues. We have really enjoyed SALT kitchen and SALT bar. We have eaten in SALT kitchen more than any other venue and drunk in SALT bar with Carlos many a night. Loved that daily menus,  ship activities, your reservations, etc are available both on the TV and on your mobile devices.

The issues that have arisen - probably more than an average SS cruise given a brand new ship and the pandemic- have been handled with alacrity.

We've done a mix of tours and independent explorations. I enjoyed the walking tour in Syros and the beach trips, but my favorites have been the SALT excursions - Wine in Cyprus and Pekesi Organic Farm, Cooking and Lunch in Crete (Aghios Nickalaos). They required a fee but were small group experiences that let you spend time with local experts.

I was not travelling solo, but there has been what appears to be a well attended Solo travellers get together every night in one of the bars - usually Dolce Vita or the Panorama - and pretty festive dinners seem to follow.

For us it has been the best cruise in 15 years with Silversea. Can't imagine you won't enjoy it!

• Like 11

8 hours ago, sea bright said:

For us it has been the best cruise in 15 years with Silversea.

Silversea should slap your endorsement on their website, pronto! 😉

All of us who have missed cruising and can't wait to return share your joy that the resumption of cruising has gone so well.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lois R said:

Safe travels…I am siting in the Lufthansa Lounge in Frankfurt waiting for my connecting flight to Athens. Different services in different lounges; some have catering and you can eat and drink, and some have take-away only. The receptionist said it had to do with the rules/regulations in the region. To dine indoors you must have a VAX card.

VAX card was checked at US airport and also immigration in Frankfurt. I actually received my PLF code/document from the Greek gov’t for entry before I left the US at 6pm, so very efficient! 

• Like 2

Hi Lois, Hope your travels are going smoothly.   Could you comment on any requirements United has regarding testing prior to boarding? I read online they have testing at the airport.  Is it required prior to boarding? If so, did you test at the airport? I appreciate any info! My trip is in 4 months and my fingers are crossed we will be able to go! 

4 hours ago, hoosier2017 said:

Could you comment on any requirements United has regarding testing prior to boarding? My trip is in 4 months...

Whatever the rules/regulations/procedures are now, they almost certainly will be changed by the time you travel. 

Hi folks, I am typing this from the Intercontinental Business Center.........free to all guests.

Well, my flight was 2 hours late leaving Newark.........we were supposed to fly out at 6:05pm but it was closer to 8:15.  The Capt gave us continuous updates......it seems some type of bad weather was happening, not only in NJ but beyond that too and we were were not allowed to take off. So we ended up arriving in Athens around noon instead of 10:30.  Once we landed we had to then be shuttled over to the terminal........it was HOT AS ALL GET OUT........and we were on a BIG PLANE.......and I must be honest here and say the check in time from getting off the plane to the terminal to getting through customs? OMG......it was really, REALLY slow..........we were on line for AN HOUR😵......it was unreal.

The line would move .......barely, then a little, then stop.......the move...a little.........and repeat. 

Not nearly enough customs people.

Oh.....about the QR code.....yes, the Athens airport has free wi-fi....but I had to get someone to help me with my phone...she was nice about it. But it seemed to take a long time to come up on my phone, and I was ready to go through........well, I showed the security guy my paperwork...vaxx card,

passport and the original submission from the Govt website......he let me through without even seeing the QR CODE...........

So once I get through, on to baggage claim.......at least the luggage was already there. Found my bag

and found an information person who told me where to go for my ride......went through the next set of doors and you could see lots of drivers with people's names on signs (per usual for Europe). Found the Silversea person and the the driver. I ended up getting to the hotel about 2:00pm.  I had booked a private tour and fortunately we were able to connect and I did the tour at 3:00 instead of the original time of 1.  Had a great tour guide and it was just me and her and it was a culinary tour....went to multiple places......had some delicious things to eat😃

Answers to questions.........my QR code also came while I was at the gate waiting to board the plane.

They asked to see my vaxx card and of course boarding pass and yes, even the QR code.  And if you fly out from Newark I hope they can get it done more smoothly as time goes on........it was a mess....long lines to check that you have the correct information......then lines to board the plane.

It was a bit crazy and not very well organized. 

So, for those of us who are vaxxed, no, you don't need to test as well and yes, I think in 4 months things will change A LOT.

Tomorrow they are picking us up at 1:30 to take us to the ship......the nice gal said there are about 20 people staying here who are going on the bus/van to the ship. 

Anyway, it is VERY HOT here.............and not sure I am going to eat dinner or not...........

Hope this helps a little bit. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

@Lois R  Glad you made it, even with the delay and lines. I don't know what you could see from the plane or terminal, but the thunderstorms were pretty fierce for awhile yesterday evening. (I'm north of Philly less than 60 miles from EWR, and was watching the storms move across on radar.) You should probably consider yourself lucky to have gotten out when you did! 😉

As for long and slow lines, that seems somewhat inevitable to me. Airports were sometimes slow and inefficient to begin with, and with the various new Covid-Related safety protocols, it just seems we should all expect some delays along the way. Just as long as you don't miss your flight — or your ship!

Thanks for posting the updates. Enjoy your trip, and don't feel obligated to post here all the time!

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Anyway, it is VERY HOT here

What did you expect at this time of the year?  The two times I have been in Rome during April, it was very warm and uncomfortable.  The Med is not the time to be visiting during the Summer.  Just my opinion, of course.  

• Like 2

Agree, I’m happy to stay in my beautiful local area in the summer.  Once I no longer needed to travel during school holidays I was happy to confine my travel to spring, fall and winter.  Airports are normally busy, flights are packed and with the added heat, it’s just upleasant.

Lois, so sorry to hear about your Odyssey! But glad you made it out despite the storms. We had a severe thunderstorm warning as well and our flight left about 10 minutes early. I could see the storms on the horizon and was definitely concerned that we may not get out in time and I had a connection in Frankfurt.

We arrived in Athens about 10 minutes early, at 1:15pm, which was shortly after you….bus to terminal, then the queue where they did a quick check of your QR code and VAX card. They were definitely rushing people thru to avoid a line and if a person wasn’t prepared with the documents in hand they waved the next person in line up!

I had exactly the polar opposite experience only one hour after you which was crazy. Waited maybe two minutes in baggage claim and bag was out, walked out and my driver was there with the sign. 

I was all done and out of the terminal and on my way to the car in 25 minutes.

So a totally random experience as airports can be. I know it could have gone either way and I actually expected to have your experience! I was shocked that mine was so quick. 

I will say the traffic here is the worst I have seen it. As we got closer to the hotel, it took 20 minutes to go a 1/2 mile. It’s probably so bad because no one in the city is using the metro due to Covid and driving instead.. 

8 hours ago, FLRI said:

Lois, so sorry to hear about your Odyssey! But glad you made it out despite the storms.  I will say the traffic here is the worst I have seen it. As we got closer to the hotel, it took 20 minutes to go a 1/2 mile. It’s probably so bad because no one in the city is using the metro due to Covid and driving instead.. 

Super postings and update by Lois, FLRI, etc.  Very interesting and helpful.  Appreciate ALL of these great follow-ups.  Keep it coming!!  Great point above about the Athens Metro not being used as much due to Covid, etc.  

Personally, I am always interested in the "NUMBERS".  How many on the Silver Moon for this sailing?  Any guesses as to the rough mix of passengers between those from the U.S., the UK, Canada and Australia, Europe, etc.??  What's the "vibe" among the staff, passengers, etc.   Good luck with the heat and how things go for the excursions, etc.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 39,650 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

On 7/7/2021 at 2:08 AM, FLRI said:

Safe travels…I am siting in the Lufthansa Lounge in Frankfurt waiting for my connecting flight to Athens. Different services in different lounges; some have catering and you can eat and drink, and some have take-away only. The receptionist said it had to do with the rules/regulations in the region. To dine indoors you must have a VAX card.

VAX card was checked at US airport and also immigration in Frankfurt. I actually received my PLF code/document from the Greek gov’t for entry before I left the US at 6pm, so very efficient! 

I am assuming you are from the US.  Did you need to do a covid test in order to transit through Germany?  We will be stopping in Frankfurt on our way to Venice in September, and I want to make sure I do everything necessary.