Alaska - roundtrip Los Angeles?

Lyndonn

The law modifying the Passenger Vessel Services Act for this year to allow cruises without a foreign port applies only to round trip cruises between the State of Washington and the State of Alaska. It is still not legal for Princess to have a round trip cruise between the State of California and the State of Alaska without a foreign port. I guess they could stop in Ensenada if Canada doesn't allow them in, but I doubt they will be doing that.

Unless the law changes again, Princess will not have round trip cruises between California and Alaska until Canada lets them in.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

If things keep going as well as they are, Canadian ports will be open for cruises next year.🤞

I certainly hope so! Canada needs the cruise business and we are booked on an Alaska cruise next May that departs from Vancouver. We really want to take that cruise - especially as some friends from BC are booked on it as well and we are looking forward to seeing the again onboard.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 3:27 PM, TinaLee said:

In the webinar today they said LA to Alaska would not be on the 2022 schedule, but it may be for 2023. 

Does any one know if the  San Pedro 19 days round trip through the Panama Canal will be back.TYI

4 minutes ago, yogi_6977 said:

Does any one know if the  San Pedro 19 days round trip through the Panama Canal will be back.TYI

I think, in general, we can expect the tried-and-true Princess voyages to make their way back into the schedule later in 2022 or 2023.

We did this last time it was offered. It is a terrific cruise, and we will immediately book it if Princess does it again. I think it’s a little out of profile for their Alaska cruises though.  They make so much money with first time cruisers and families with children, while the 2 week cruise tends to attract older, more veteran cruisers (as in lower onboard spending).

Also, a long trip, burning a lot of fuel.  Still, I notice the Carnival is doing a RT - LA or Alaska (no thanks). Keep the faith 😄

55 minutes ago, LawDog61 said:

We did this last time it was offered. It is a terrific cruise, and we will immediately book it if Princess does it again. I think it’s a little out of profile for their Alaska cruises though.  They make so much money with first time cruisers and families with children, while the 2 week cruise tends to attract older, more veteran cruisers (as in lower onboard spending).

Also, a long trip, burning a lot of fuel.  Still, I notice the Carnival is doing a RT - LA or Alaska (no thanks). Keep the faith 😄

I wish.  Speak for yourself, LD61.  Also, I can't put much of the blame on Mrs. XBGuy.   🤣🤣🤣

Unless Princess significantly change deployment strategies for summer 2023, which is unlikely, there simply isn't a spare ship to homeport in LA in the Summer months.  

5 Ships to Europe - Enchanted, Emerald, Island, Regal, Sky

6 ships poised for AK - Crown & Discovery  from SEA, Grand, Majestic & Sapphire  from ANC/YVR, Ruby from SFO

1 Ship for Summer Caribbean and Canada/NE - Caribbean

1 Ship for summer Aus/NZ/World Cruise - Coral

That leaves Royal and Diamond which appear positioned to sail summer SE Asia and Japan.

Unless something in Alaska or SE/Asia/Japan deployment strategies from years past changes then there is no a spare ship for LA

The loss of Sun, Sea, Golden and Star coupled with only adding 2 vessels as replacement (Enchanted/Discovery) means with a 2 vessels net fleet reduction something has to be trimmed somewhere .......

9 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

The loss of Sun, Sea, Golden and Star coupled with only adding 2 vessels as replacement (Enchanted/Discovery) means with a 2 vessels net fleet reduction something has to be trimmed somewhere .......

Thus reducing again the number of unique itineraries that Princess can offer.