Insurance issues

flingham

1 minute ago, Gettingwarmer said:

The question is, has anyone been denied boarding at the port. 

Not sure about on P&O but did read of a journalist who hadnt got the correct insurance cover for one of the first cruises on MSC and he was directed to an area where he at a cost he was offered and had to purchase correct insurance before he was allowed to board.

I heard, but have no idea which cruise lines, that some were turned away because they didn't think they needed their passport for a staycation, and also some because they they brought their vaccination cards instead of the official Certificate.

I need to buy travel insurance soon to cover a week staycation on Iona. All the online sites I tried seem to ask where you are going to travel to, such as which European country or World wide - there is no provision to put in "nowhere"! So is the best thing to do say Europe or France even though the ship isn't supposed to stop anywhere during the cruise? 

Thanks😁

6 minutes ago, Pet said:

I need to buy travel insurance soon to cover a week staycation on Iona. All the online sites I tried seem to ask where you are going to travel to, such as which European country or World wide - there is no provision to put in "nowhere"! So is the best thing to do say Europe or France even though the ship isn't supposed to stop anywhere during the cruise? 

Thanks😁

You need this

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2774984-travel-insurance-cruise-cover/

6 minutes ago, Pet said:

Thanks😁

No you must make sure that they are aware that it is a UK waters cruise if you dont then you will not be covered and you will not be allowed onboard. Staysure cover for UK waters Staycation cruises give them a ring.

12 minutes ago, Pet said:

Thanks😁

Go on google and type  "UK cruise insurance "   :classic_smile:

2 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

We are straying from the original post. Keep to the question. There is already a thread on insurance. 

There is enough moderation from official sources, thread drift is fine by me, unless and until CC provide thread headers for android users, I shall continue to answer posts as I view them, whether or not it is on topic.

11 hours ago, majortom10 said:

All threads stray from original post.

Indeed they do and my contribution is I bought a single trip policy from CoverforYou, all online no phone call needed and you end up with downloaded documents including cover for staycation and cruises to nowhere. Choose Europe (restricted) as your destination as it includes the UK 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

We are straying from the original post. Keep to the question. There is already a thread on insurance. 

11 hours ago, majortom10 said:

All threads stray from original post.

Agreed but I really want to see some answers regarding the original question. Maybe nobody has been refused boarding on a P&O ship. 

13 hours ago, majortom10 said:

No you must make sure that they are aware that it is a UK waters cruise if you dont then you will not be covered and you will not be allowed onboard. Staysure cover for UK waters Staycation cruises give them a ring.

But it might not be if its the 2 southern water cruises which are cruising towards Biarritz, according to the itinerary.  

We are booked on one of those cruises and I'm going to call Staysure today to confirm what we need.  

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Agreed but I really want to see some answers regarding the original question. Maybe nobody has been refused boarding on a P&O ship. 

From the posts I've seen on Facebook, the travel insurance check at the terminal is limited to asking people if they have it. Let's face it, they were never going to spend time going through everyone's policy.

Guest Snaxmuppet

I don't know if this is true or not but we did have to enter into the web site details of our insurance... the company, underwriter etc... so I wonder if they use that to flag up potential issues and by the time you check in they will have a pretty good idea which company you used and whether you are likely to have appropriate cover so a verbal confirmation may be all that is needed.

Just a thought 🙂 

16 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I don't know if this is true or not but we did have to enter into the web site details of our insurance... the company, underwriter etc... so I wonder if they use that to flag up potential issues and by the time you check in they will have a pretty good idea which company you used and whether you are likely to have appropriate cover so a verbal confirmation may be all that is needed.

Just a thought 🙂 

You would think so, but with P&O that’s asking a lot. 

Maybe this is a stupid question… but the insurer recommended by P&O on their website seems pretty good value. Why spend ages reading small-print on other sites and getting special certificates when you could just get that?

That’s exactly what I did… and the conversation at departure was ‘I used your ensurer, here’s the certificate/dates’. Job done. 

I can appreciate if you’ve already got a yearly policy it’s worth seeing if that’ll cover (at no extra cost)… but I’m left thinking with some of these threads that people just like to make their lives difficult. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, smollett said:

Maybe this is a stupid question… but the insurer recommended by P&O on their website seems pretty good value. Why spend ages reading small-print on other sites and getting special certificates when you could just get that?

That’s exactly what I did… and the conversation at departure was ‘I used your ensurer, here’s the certificate/dates’. Job done. 

I can appreciate if you’ve already got a yearly policy it’s worth seeing if that’ll cover (at no extra cost)… but I’m left thinking with some of these threads that people just like to make their lives difficult. 🤷‍♂️

You are the first person to say P&Os preferred, means they want you to have it because they get commission, insurance company is good value. When it first became a problem with insurance cover for UK waters and people's normal cruise insurance wouldnt cover them I rang them  to ask for a quote and nearly passed out. I thought they were telling me there phone number not the quote.

16 hours ago, flingham said:

I bought goodtogo Insurance, but later I found their UK cruise medical cover was inadequate for p&o. I had to pay another £26 for an endorsement to increase it to £2,000,000.

It does say that on their website to be fair. We took out 2 policies, one 3 night, one 4 night. Two people 65/71 with medical conditions ( not big ones )+ P&O endorsement. £66.80 each cruise. Pretty much the same as the parking.🤔