Dress code

jjsnonna

19 minutes ago, zook50 said:

In hot weather, especially, both genders should be allowed the same flexibility with clothing/footwear, IMHO.

Men can't wear sleeveless shirts (wife beaters) in the MDR either. Life isn't fair. Their house, their rules. There are other lines that don't care what you wear. If a total lack of dress code is what you seek, then they may meet your needs.

And your quoted argument doesn't float for one simple reason : air conditioning. And given how cold some MDR are, the less skin exposed, the better.

34 minutes ago, mom says said:

Men can't wear sleeveless shirts (wife beaters) in the MDR either. Life isn't fair. Their house, their rules. There are other lines that don't care what you wear. If a total lack of dress code is what you seek, then they may meet your needs.

And your quoted argument doesn't float for one simple reason : air conditioning. And given how cold some MDR are, the less skin exposed, the better.

And your quoted argument doesn't float for one simple reason : air conditioning. And given how cold some MDR are, the less skin exposed, the better.  This is a silly blanket statement, perhaps for you it may be too cold but what if I like it, and I do.  Short sleeve polos all the way for me.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

And your quoted argument doesn't float for one simple reason : air conditioning. And given how cold some MDR are, the less skin exposed, the better.  This is a silly blanket statement, perhaps for you it may be too cold but what if I like it, and I do.  Short sleeve polos all the way for me.

Agree. Since evening chic was introduced in 2016 I haven't worn a long sleeved anything. Always golf/polo style shirts in the evening. T shirts when eating  breakfast and the rare occasions during lunch (sea days) in the MDR. Only speaking for the ships we've been on the MDR temp (and ship wide) is perfect, IMO, no matter the itinerary we are on. My wife always wears tops with long sleeves in the evening but not because she believes the MDR is cold. This morning we went for our morning walks. We don't walk together as I walk a lot faster and further. It was 52 degrees when we left at 6:15 AM. She wore a sweatshirt and long pants and I wore a T-shirt and shorts. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

My point was that the heat isn't a factor in justifying her position. I've rarely heard anyone complaining about the dining rooms being  too hot. But I've heard a lot of cruisers complain about the opposite. DH and I fall into the split camp. He is fine in short sleeves except on the chilliest of cruises. I'm always toting a pashmina in the evenings. Now, if the ship's  AC system was to fail, then I would expect a suspension of the dress codes.

Edited by mom says

8 minutes ago, mom says said:

My point was that the heat isn't a factor in justifying her position. I've rarely heard anyone complaining about the dining rooms being  too hot. But I've heard a lot of cruisers complain about the opposite. DH and I fall into the split camp. He is fine in short sleeves except on the chilliest of cruises. I'm always toting a pashmina in the evenings. Now, if the ship's  AC system was to fail, then I would expect a suspension of the dress codes.

Still subjective and if the AC fails, I will wear my Le Kirkland designer denim shorts to the restaurant

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mom says said:

My point was that the heat isn't a factor in justifying her position. I've rarely heard anyone complaining about the dining rooms being  too hot. But I've heard a lot of cruisers complain about the opposite.....

Once upon a cruise the AC made the dining room so cold that the staff was literally handing out nice wooly blankets. Not Celebrity- I think it was on Silversea. And since it was a tropical cruise most of us didn't have much in the way of heavy sweaters or shawls. So we ate wrapped up- feeling silly but warm. 

17 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Once upon a cruise the AC made the dining room so cold that the staff was literally handing out nice wooly blankets. Not Celebrity- I think it was on Silversea. And since it was a tropical cruise most of us didn't have much in the way of heavy sweaters or shawls. So we ate wrapped up- feeling silly but warm. 

Soup? 😉

2 hours ago, mom says said:

Ok, I didn't expect to get that kind of reaction (you remind me of a particularly strict, no nonsense principal I worked with years ago:)), but appreciate the feedback.  Lots of things in life aren't fair and of course, cruise lines, resorts, and restaurants have the right to set rules.  Also, just to clarify:  I never asked for a "total lack of dress code"?? at any point,  so that's an incorrect takeaway on your part.  Perhaps this is a sensitive issue for you because of something that happened in your past travels?  I simply expressed my wish for some equity in dress code expectations for both genders.   And, as many people have expressed before my post, temperature is a very personal thing.  My comment about hot weather was also taking into consideration the many hot land holidays we've been on where restaurants can be very hot (often open air or no a/c),  and only men still are expected to wear long pants and closed shoes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

2021. No more formal nights. Wear what you like. Just keep it clean and appropriate for the activity.  Thanks

old days of cruising were different.   Dress up was part of that experience.  Let it rest as a nice memory.  

Formal nights are indeed just a memory now.  With airlines charging extra for luggage, we are happy to just leave our formal wear at home.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Actually a pet peeve of mine is when I go to the pool and some men wear swim suits that are much too small and we can view their butt cracks and huge belly.  Look in the mirror before you go to the pool.  lol

Are you referring to "speedo" type swim suits (which most Americans for some reason seem to detest)?  If so, my bet would be these are mostly European men, and very customary throughout Europe.  I don't feel they should be any different on the ship, it is their cruise as well.  Cest la vie...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Actually a pet peeve of mine is when I go to the pool and some men wear swim suits that are much too small and we can view their butt cracks and huge belly.  Look in the mirror before you go to the pool.  lol

Sounds like your obsessed with them. Stop staring at them. 😂

• Like 3

We always have a photo taken for our annual Christmas card so it's fun for us to dress up on "formal" (or not) night.  No tuxes or evening gowns, but I think we look nice!  (Taken two weeks ago on the Norwegian Encore.)  Also, my favorite fashion quote for your perusal:  "Fashion and the way we look are a part of our human condition.  It's tribal and social and personal.  I don't think it's superficial: it's quite profound." (Author, unfortunately, unknown)  With that said, you do you!

06F26_pp2.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/27/2021 at 5:32 PM, canderson said:

@Gatordad1967

Man, you GOTTA use the sarc /sarc code when you say stuff like that!

On 8/27/2021 at 5:32 PM, canderson said:

@Gatordad1967

Man, you GOTTA use the sarc /sarc code when you say stuff like that!

I plan on bringing my iron, bagpipes, breastfeeding and candles on my next cruise