X:"We recommend that you arrive to the pier within your selected arrival time. Early arrivals may have a prolonged wait time"

NutsAboutGolf

10 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

There is nothing restaurant wise within walking distance of Port Everglades.

Certainly not much near Terminal 25.  The Lauderale Tap Room might be the closest thing at about a mile away.  Not exactly a restaurant though.  

The Princess terminals have better options with 17th street not far away. 

Enforcing arrival times is in service to the new boarding protocols that include distancing and testing.  X is saying "you may have to wait if you show up early" which is fine as long as those who show up early aren't going to start whining as soon as they arrive, especially when it's hot and/or rainy, and they can no longer wait inside like they could in the past.

The old adage goes that you have to say things three times for them to sink in:

Things have changed despite wishful thinking. 

• Like 4

There have been several posts on a certain social media site from people who have been on the first two Edge sailings. The reported experiences with how scheduled boarding time has been handled have been consistent.

If you arrive during your scheduled boarding time, you go to the front of the line for the wellness check and then move on to checking in and boarding.

People who arrived earlier than scheduled were sent to the back of the line.

If, they had a lull or processed all the folks scheduled for that 30 minute arrival time, they went down the line looking for passengers in the next scheduled arrival time frame. It was not a an open boarding for those waiting their turn. They were sticking to the schedule. 

Suites were being allowed to board when they arrived, as long as there was no back up in the suite check in area.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Okay...Good for you as well...My point is just that we all have different preferences on how we like to spend that day...

And, to Den:

I don't see anyone "whining here".  We all had pre-Covid routines for embarkation day...all of which involved cruise line procedures for checking in...and we all got to understand all about "appointment times", whether you could board earlier, whether there was priority for Suites or for Captains Club standing, etc.  Now, "post-pandemic", the rules have likely changed.  The website and emails are, as always, confusing at best.  People just want to know what the new rules actually are...and how they are being enforced.  It is a reasonable question for discussion on this board.  I, for one, don't have a precise answer.  I have an idea...and I have a strategy for coping with what I think the situation is...one that works with MY routine of how to spend embarkation day.  Hanging out at the Grande Bretagne may work for cruisemom.  Leaving luggage at their hotel and doing additional sightseeing may work for some others.  But some of us prefer to get to the ship as early as we can and are trying to figure out what that is.  It's NOT "whining", it's just planning.  For example, though I've read here that some people think there's a priority for suites, I have not heard any definitive word on that...BUT I would sure like to know...It would help with MY planning.  And it's why I came to this thread--in hope that someone has a definitive answer.

First, we aren’t in a ‘post-pandemic’, we are still in a pandemic. Second, moaning about having to hang around a hotel for 5hrs and other similar complaints Is whining and making up excuses. And Third, I loved getting on the ship early but just as so many other requirements due to a Pandemic, I repeat Pandemic, we need to adapt just a bit. 

yes, I see much of this thread as just another complaining ‘poor me’ which in this situation is  ‘to heck with everyone else’. And yes this is almost as overblown as the whining. 

den

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Well, I suppose it only was a matter of time before we heard "the system depends on someone not following it."  Rationalization is a powerful force.

Indeed.  Assigned arrival times and wrist bracelets are the new tipping and dress code.  I did enjoy the nostalgia of the rum runners, though!

It's not rationalization, it's math.  You have to process Y people per hour over the course of Z hours in order to not have a crowded terminal at any point.   

X knows that a lot of people will arrive at least somewhat early to their assigned times (better to wait a bit than to be delayed and late is a societal norm for many occasions).  X knows they can pull from the early bird queue to make up for those who are late and maintain a constant flow.   "Enforcing" arrival times hopefully keeps that alternate queue at a manageable size.  

4 minutes ago, Straughn said:

There have been several posts on a certain social media site from people who have been on the first two Edge sailings. The reported experiences with how scheduled boarding time has been handled have been consistent.

If you arrive during your scheduled boarding time, you go to the front of the line for the wellness check and then move on to checking in and boarding.

If, they had a lull or processed all the folks scheduled for that 30 minute arrival time, they went down the line looking for passengers in the next scheduled arrival time frame. It was not a an open boarding for those waiting their turn. They were sticking to the schedule. 

Suites were being allowed to board when they arrived, as long as there was no back up in the suite check in area.

Perfect. They should really explain that in the boarding documents.  

11 minutes ago, Straughn said:

So if not in a suite, just get in the back of the line, and agents will find you?

10 minutes ago, Straughn said:

... from people who have been on the first two Edge sailings....

And, going back to my question...Is this true for the Apex cruises as well?  Though it may be moot since I have an early boarding time, this IS important to me as I am in a suite.  All I am trying to figure out is what to expect when I arrive at the port...later this month.  I expect a bit of confusion.  I expect many people will be there...some with my same appointment time, some with later appointment times but betting on the system being loosely applied.  we have all been places where we've gotten in the wrong line, waited and then found about later we should have been somewhere else.

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

So if not in a suite, just get in the back of the line, and agents will find you?

I don’t know that answer specifically. The searching the line was only commented on in relation to lulls in the process. If I recall what was said, there is a person who looks at your express pass and, if within your time frame, directs you to the wellness area or, if not your scheduled time, to the back of the line for those waiting. I wouldn’t stand in line, if it is your scheduled time. I would go up and not wait for them to find you.

This is a learning experience for Celebrity as well as passengers. The process could change at any time. What they are doing now may not be the procedure on the next cruise. 

7 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Seems like their job would be made easier by having several queues arranged by boarding time rather than one "I'm early" line.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

And, going back to my question...Is this true for the Apex cruises as well?  Though it may be moot since I have an early boarding time, this IS important to me as I am in a suite.  All I am trying to figure out is what to expect when I arrive at the port...later this month.  I expect a bit of confusion.  I expect many people will be there...some with my same appointment time, some with later appointment times but betting on the system being loosely applied.  we have all been places where we've gotten in the wrong line, waited and then found about later we should have been somewhere else.

All my info pertains to Edge, and probably Equinox, when she resumes sailing late this month. What the procedures and requirements are by Celebrity and/or Greece for Apex may be different.

Sadly, I have heard/read about cruisers arriving at their assigned times that were left standing OUTSIDE the terminal for over 2 hours due to people being allowed in at times other than their check in.  I don't think this was Celebrity but it certainly means that unless the cruise line enforces the check in times, those arriving on time could be left outside.  Cudos to Celebrity if they enforce this. 

• Like 1

Just curious about how the embarkation times are assigned.  Are they random?  Or does it depend on when you do your online check in?  

I’m also curious if Captain’s Club status means anything once arriving to the cruise terminal.  In the past, Elite and above had preferential embarkation. 

15 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

When we sailed out of Port Everglades Terminal 25 in a Royal or Penthouse Suite we had a placard for the driver to put in the windshield.  We pulled up right to the entrance and were met by a host with a list of eligible guests.  A porter took our luggage right there and we were directed to the entrance adjacent to the building.  Did you have a difference experience? 

I need a copy of that placard.....

On our Edge sailing on 7/3, we knew our check-in time was 1300-1330. We tried to time it in traffic but arrived at the parking garage at 1230. From there we wandered over, used the rest rooms and sat outside the terminal area where there are shaded benches. We walked up about 1255 and there was a lot of people standing in line against the wall outside the entrance area. There were several roped off lines with a handful of people. One of the agents asked us our check-in time and we told them 1300. We were directed to stand in the empty roped off area and were inside in about 2 minutes. I heard one of the people at the front of the line at the busy area against the wall say his check-in time was 1430. Overall it was very quick to get in, probably because we tried to time it and not arrive too early. With that said, when we boarded the ship, the guy who had a 1430 check-in was right behind us. As stated by someone earlier, they pulled one or two folks out of the long waiting line when there was a lull in arrivals. Chance you take I suppose. You could also wait forever if you arrive way too early. Stick to your time if you can would be the best bet.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

These were the people who showed up about 90 minutes early in FLL (according to the guy sitting on the ground) to check into the Edge last Saturday.  They had to wait outside.

• image.thumb.jpeg.0bf1b6e5f9ebc1b7d53ee249aa8eafb1.jpeg

I still envy him!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, D C said:

Seems like their job would be made easier by having several queues arranged by boarding time rather than one "I'm early" line.  

I certainly know how I would organize this given what I know...And it would be something like what DC suggests...I would have a line near the front door for the current boarding window...and a second queue set up several yards away for the next boarding window...and several yards beyond that for the next...and so on.  then I would take in people from the first line up until it is fully depleted, then move on to the next group.  Anyone arriving during their window would move to the front until the appointed start time for that next window--when that line moves to the front and anyone late arriving for an earlier time goes to the back of that line...and so on through the day.

If I intended to give priority to any group, suites for instance, I would have a separate priority queue for that group and allow them in as they arrive.

AND, most importantly, I would detail that procedure in an email to everyone on that sailing--stating precisely that, if you arrive prior to your boarding time you should look for your assigned OUTSIDE waiting queue and MAY not be admitted until your boarding time...

Of course, from experience, I expect nothing like this.  My expectation is some degree of confusion.  we were once on a Princess cruise out of San Pedro (Los Angeles) where one of the prior cruises had a Norovirus breakout and they announced, by email, that they needed to do a deep cleaning and no one should arrive at the terminal prior to 4:00 pm.  We arrived early--around noon--just to drop off our luggage (an item they hadn't mentioned at all), figuring we'd come back at 4:00.  When we got to the terminal, we found, of course, the doors were locked and hundreds of people were already milling around.  People who had, long ago, made air and transportation arrangements had no idea what to do.  We walked into downtown Pedro and had a nice long lunch at San Pedro Brewing Co., then returned a little after 3:00...We found a complete zoo.  Probably half the ship's passengers or more were in a disorganized mob outside the terminal.  Some passengers started organizing their own queue and telling people "THIS is the line"...though the cruise line hadn't placed signs out or any other guidance.  Then, some Elite Captains Circle people started saying "Wait...We have priority status" and started organizing a separate line (which we got into).  A lot of people were banging on the locked doors needing to use the restrooms...and, thankfully, someone from Princess came out and, from time to time, let people inside to use the facilities.  When they finally came out a little after 5:00 pm, they at least recognized the two "lines" and soon started processing "Suites and Elites" from the priority line...so we were thankfully in somewhat "early" and went directly to the MDR for dinner--and got that in before they closed the MDR at around 7:00 pm in order to prepare for the muster drill...which about half the ship missed since they were still going through the check-in process.  those people got a make-up muster drill and they held the buffet open late...  

Hopefully, Celebrity has had a little time to figure this one out a little better...but we have seen just how disorganized a cruise line can be when trying to figure things out on the fly.

35 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

we have all been places where we've gotten in the wrong line, waited and then found about later we should have been somewhere else.

A few folks have mentioned that in other threads.  Just make sure someone knows you're in a suite, and you should be good to go.  Don't just get into a line.

21 minutes ago, PaulaW said:

Just curious about how the embarkation times are assigned.  Are they random?  Or does it depend on when you do your online check in

They are not random.  It appears to be first-come, first-served, but I don't know if it has something to do with cabin category.

30 minutes ago, D C said:

There's only so much room, and the last thing the check-in folks need to be doing is changing signs on queues every half hour.

28 minutes ago, PaulaW said:

Just curious about how the embarkation times are assigned.  Are they random?  Or does it depend on when you do your online check in?  

I’m also curious if Captain’s Club status means anything once arriving to the cruise terminal.  In the past, Elite and above had preferential embarkation. 

During your online check-in process, there is the opportunity for you to select your boarding time from timeframes still available.  We are booked on the westbound TA on Apex on October 10; while we have completed the initial step in online check-in, the second step of selecting boarding time is not yet open.  The third step is the HealthInfo form, which must be done a day before boarding.

5 minutes ago, bama4cruisin said:

During your online check-in process, there is the opportunity for you to select your boarding time from timeframes still available.  We are booked on the westbound TA on Apex on October 10; while we have completed the initial step in online check-in, the second step of selecting boarding time is not yet open.  The third step is the HealthInfo form, which must be done a day before boarding.

Thank you!

That is very helpful!

A few years ago, Celebrity introduced the concept of assigned arrival times to avoid the long check in lines and wait times. These were suggested times, and passengers by and large chose to ignore them. Discussions on CC basically said "go when you want". While there was some talk about Celebrity giving it a trial period before changing from suggested to required arrival times, that change never came, passengers continued to ignore them, and then the pandemic arrived.

As cruising restarts, Celebrity is belatedly trying to enforce the times, a much harder job than it would have been when they first introduced the concept. Passengers are used to ignoring them, and while some are willing to accept the change, others are apparently too set in their ways to understand or accept the fact that assigned arrival times are being enforced.

Could the manner in which arrivals are being handled be improved? Of course it could, and probably will be over time, but give them a chance to iron out the wrinkles. In the early days of vaccinations, there were some horrendous problems with overcrowding and people ignoring assigned times, but systems were modified over time. We were told to arrive no more than ten minutes before our assigned times, and were processed a few minutes early for both shots.

Some posters have made some excellent suggestions, and I hope to see Celebrity pick up on some of those.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, PaulaW said:

When we did our on-line check-in, we were given the option of several appointment windows.  Since we did the on-line check-in early, I assume that the 11:30 window we chose was the earliest--though there is a possibility there could have been an earlier window but others filled that up really quickly...we don't know.  There was no mention at the time of being given any priority due to either our being in a Suite nor to our high Captain's Club status.

The Celebrity website no longer mentions priority check-in as an Elite or Elite Plus perk.  In the Retreat section, it does mention, as a Suite perk "Priority check-in, departure, and port tendering/boarding".