X:"We recommend that you arrive to the pier within your selected arrival time. Early arrivals may have a prolonged wait time"

NutsAboutGolf

55 minutes ago, PaulaW said:

Just curious about how the embarkation times are assigned.  Are they random?  Or does it depend on when you do your online check in?  

I’m also curious if Captain’s Club status means anything once arriving to the cruise terminal.  In the past, Elite and above had preferential embarkation. 

It's sort of like a southwest flight, as soon as you can check in, everyone starts booking the earliest embarkation windows.  If you check in late or book the cruise last minute, your assigned time options will only be a latest few embarkation windows.

• Like 2

Suite passengers have their own line.  All the rest aware assigned a time (or choose a time if they book early enough).  Seems Celebrity is holding fast to people checking in near their assigned boarding time.  

But, be prepared for the likelihood you’ll be waiting outside, in the sun, if you try to check in earlier than the assigned times.  If so, make sure you have snacks and drinks with you.  If you have a medical condition, I’d strictly stick to the assigned boarding time, as it’s even more important for those folks.

As long as you know all of that going in, you’ll be fine.  

Edited by graphicguy
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

It's sort of like a southwest flight, as soon as you can check in, everyone starts booking the earliest embarkation windows.  If you check in late or book the cruise last minute, your assigned time options will only be a latest few embarkation windows.

How long until X realises that Southwest keeps the first several boarding positions open for people who pay extra just for that privilege, and decides to follow-suit? 

Just now, D C said:

How long until X realises that Southwest keeps the first several boarding positions open for people who pay extra just for that privilege, and decides to follow-suit? 

I think you can buy the perks extra which gives any stateroom priority boarding, there's also CC status and BCC (gambling) status which allow priority boarding.

4 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I think you can buy the perks extra which gives any stateroom priority boarding, there's also CC status and BCC (gambling) status which allow priority boarding.

That may have been in the Perks package at one time, but it no longer is (at least at the moment).  It also isn't listed in CC benefits.  I don't know about Blue Chip, but I expect it isn't there, either.

This is pretty funny.

Some of the same people who insist Celebrity enforce rules pertaining to vaccination status are bellyaching over Celebrity enforcing rules pertaining to boarding time.

I guess rules are rules, as long as they don’t negatively impact you personally.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, ch175 said:

This is pretty funny.

Some of the same people who insist Celebrity enforce rules pertaining to vaccination status are bellyaching over Celebrity enforcing rules pertaining to boarding time.

I guess rules are rules, as long as they don’t negatively impact you personally.

Thanks for saying what many of us are thinking

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, ch175 said:

This is pretty funny.

And what I find somewhat "funny" are the people on here who don't really have anything of substance to add to the discussion...but just want to pass judgment on others...

1 minute ago, Bruin Steve said:

And what I find somewhat "funny" are the people on here who don't really have anything of substance to add to the discussion...but just want to pass judgment on others...

Enlighten us...what was 'anything of substance to add' in your comment?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

That may have been in the Perks package at one time, but it no longer is (at least at the moment).  It also isn't listed in CC benefits.  I don't know about Blue Chip, but I expect it isn't there, either.

Thanks for the info, I stand corrected, CC doesn't have it nor is it on my sailings perk package.  It does appear on 4 out of the 6 tiers for BCC and priority DIS-embarkation for the last 3 tiers.

13 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Sheesh. Arrive at the time it says on the documents. What else of substance is there to add.

It’s kind of like how I thought wearing masks to the grocery store was pretty useless. But I did anyway, because the 75 year old guy greeting people at the door didn’t create the policy, and all I’d be doing is making things difficult for him. Extend that to all of the people at check in who are just trying to help you start your thousands of dollars vacation.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Question…. Is Celebrity Suite considered a Suite passenger? Can we use a placard on our car?
I know it sounds stupid but got a little confused by some of the discussion. Thanks

sheila

Yes you are a Suite passenger and can use the suite line to board but I do not think they send the placard to Celebrity Suites or lower. All the placard does is allow your driver to stop at the entrance to the terminal and off load your luggage there rather than getting behind other drivers and the port porters. They have a dedicated porter for those with the placard and a staff person will check your name on the list they have. If you get contacted by the shore side concierge and you are eligible you will get an email with the placard.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ch175 said:

This is pretty funny.

Technically the assigned arrival time is a recommendation and not a rule.

"What happens when arriving outside of my assigned window?" seems to be a perfectly reasonable thing to discuss in order to allow everyone to make their own decision as to whether or not they wish to honor the recommendation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D C said:

"What happens when arriving outside of my assigned window?" seems to be a perfectly reasonable thing to discuss in order to allow everyone to make their own decision as to whether or not they wish to honor the recommendation.

And here's your answer, straight from my Express Pass (in addition to the actual experiences and other documents presented above).

Screenshot_20210714-140022_Dropbox.thumb.jpg.a0c2701f6c69b29b0dc0bc40e41c7513.jpg

Those non-suite passengers  who wish to show up early may do so, but they also should be prepared for the very real possibility that they will not be accomodated for some time and, perhaps (if not likely) until their appointed time. There also is the very real possibility that, should they need to wait, they must wait outside the terminal (as some have). 

That's about it. Pretty much anything more than that is speculation, fist-pounding, or wishful thinking. Ships haven't even been sailing for a month. Perhaps time and more reported experiences will confirm, refute, or add to what's been stated by Celebrity and actually reported by passengers. 

Edited by DCPIV

3 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

Enlighten us...what was 'anything of substance to add' in your comment?

I think what was meant is: ‘anything of substance that agreed with ignoring the guidances’. 

But I fully understand being put out……the Pandemic killed 600k+ here and millions throughout the world, and now makes me show up at a set time to board when I want to get on earlier. 

Den

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I think what was meant is: ‘anything of substance that agreed with ignoring the guidances’. 

But I fully understand being put out……the Pandemic killed 600k+ here and millions throughout the world, and now makes me show up at a set time to board when I want to get on earlier. 

Den

Isn't that like saying "people are dying (somewhere) so why are you in a good mood?"

18 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Isn't that like saying "people are dying (somewhere) so why are you in a good mood?"

I understand my post could be interpreted that way, but I meant we seem to be so wrapped up in minor issues such as given a check in time while companies are trying to provide safe services in the current conditions. 

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I understand my post could be interpreted that way, but I meant we seem to be so wrapped up in minor issues such as given a check in time while companies are trying to provide safe services in the current conditions. 

den

Den,

We are on two completely different wavelengths here.  Some of us are just trying to figure the system and practices out.  We are leaving for Athens in less than 12 days and really want to know what to expect at the pier.  The cruise line has given us some general statements that don't necessarily concur with reports from people on the first few cruises.  Such issues might seem "minor" to you...and I agree with you that, in the greater scheme of world affairs, they are minor...But they are worth addressing to those of us about to face them head on.  Clearly, they are less important to people like you who have time to sit back and concern yourself with them later...HOWEVER, THESE forums have long been the place to come and address all of those "minor issues".  The cruise lines don't make everything clear.  And, calling the cruise lines' 800 numbers often give rise to wrong or inconsistent information.  So, Cruise Critic is where we come to ask about or discuss such "minor issues"...Yet, some of you seem to want to be offended by anyone doing so.  

• Like 3

A couple of non-judgmental questions related to this boarding time business - 

1) I understand that when you are checking in you get several boarding times to choose from.  But is there any prioritization given for the boarding times you have available to choose from?  Does CC status count (we are Elite Plus)?  Cabin type?  (we usually book AQ)

2) Does anyone know what might happen to a "switching ships"  type B2B?  I understand the reasoning behind the assigned time process (actually, not totally, but it is what it is so we will abide by it), but if I am disembarking off one ship and then embarking on another I'm kinda between a rock and a hard place if I get a late boarding time.  What do I do/where do I go with my luggage in the interim?  In older days I could have stayed until I had to leave the ship and then likely could have checked in soon thereafter.  With these new rules I'm afraid of being stuck with no reasonable option.  Thoughts?

1 minute ago, phoenix_dream said:

A couple of non-judgmental questions related to this boarding time business - 

1) I understand that when you are checking in you get several boarding times to choose from.  But is there any prioritization given for the boarding times you have available to choose from?  Does CC status count (we are Elite Plus)?  Cabin type?  (we usually book AQ)

2) Does anyone know what might happen to a "switching ships"  type B2B?  I understand the reasoning behind the assigned time process (actually, not totally, but it is what it is so we will abide by it), but if I am disembarking off one ship and then embarking on another I'm kinda between a rock and a hard place if I get a late boarding time.  What do I do/where do I go with my luggage in the interim?  In older days I could have stayed until I had to leave the ship and then likely could have checked in soon thereafter.  With these new rules I'm afraid of being stuck with no reasonable option.  Thoughts?

1)  It didn't appear there was any reference to our stateroom category or our Captain's Club status.  I think it completely was a factor of how early we registered--what appointment times were available at that time.  People who put it off until later, despite similar status, had fewer choices.

2)  I don't think they thought that one out since there are fairly few side-to-side opportunities in the early sailings.  I also don't think the system accounts for this in any way.  Maybe best to address this with them directly and see if any exceptions can be made.  I am assuming, also, that you can check in your luggage to the second cruise in advance of your scheduled boarding time...I would definitely try to log on sooner rather than later to get the earliest boarding time on that second cruise...either way, there will be some gap between when you have to be off the first one and even the earliest boarding time on the second.  Good luck.

Bruin, I fully understand your point and if we didn’t post about ‘minor issues’, CC would be pretty useless and quiet. I just posted about was a fwd or aft facing angled balcony better……..got it.

I’ll disagree with you thinking ‘we’ are offended; not offended, just trying to put it into general perspective, whatever than means. 

I was about to post that if someone was going to the terminal 2hrs prior instead of waiting around in some hotel lobby for 5hrs, that if they waited at the hotel that long, they’d most likely Miss the cruise! Not that i actually thought they’d do that or need to do that since it was so overblown, just as some of my posts. 

In the past, I never really followed the ‘check-in’ times because it wasn’t any big deal, and there were times I paid the price of joining 2/3rds of the complement! 

Should be interesting to see how this all works, and with my cruise in November, there might Not be that much change. Who knows.

Good luck on your cruises this summer. And we all realize that typing and reading these posts, it’s impossible to pass the meaning/intent/tone which only comes with face-face. 

My original post was a bit (well, probably more than) of a cheap shot. 

Enjoy.

den

5 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Some of us are just trying to figure the system and practices out.  

You posted the info that you got directly from Celebrity back on the first page.  It says to arrive at your check-in time between 11:30a and noon.  Watch your email for anything that counters that if you're in a suite, and you'll have your answer.   Go by what they send you.  I'm a little confused by your angst with this.  You have an early check-in time already.  They tend to not let anyone on the ship much before noon anyway, right?  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Bruin, I fully understand your point and if we didn’t post about ‘minor issues’, CC would be pretty useless and quiet. I just posted about was a fwd or aft facing angled balcony better……..got it.

I’ll disagree with you thinking ‘we’ are offended; not offended, just trying to put it into general perspective, whatever than means. 

I was about to post that if someone was going to the terminal 2hrs prior instead of waiting around in some hotel lobby for 5hrs, that if they waited at the hotel that long, they’d most likely Miss the cruise! Not that i actually thought they’d do that or need to do that since it was so overblown, just as some of my posts. 

In the past, I never really followed the ‘check-in’ times because it wasn’t any big deal, and there were times I paid the price of joining 2/3rds of the complement! 

Should be interesting to see how this all works, and with my cruise in November, there might Not be that much change. Who knows.

Good luck on your cruises this summer. And we all realize that typing and reading these posts, it’s impossible to pass the meaning/intent/tone which only comes with face-face. 

My original post was a bit (well, probably more than) of a cheap shot. 

Enjoy.

den

Thanks, den...I don't think we've ever had a problem on these boards before, so I was a little surprised...

All I said earlier was that my time slot was 11:30 to Noon...and I thought I'd aim at getting there around 11--thinking it's likely the first such time lot and I was hoping maybe it would help me get on a little sooner--depending on hen they were actually ready...I definitely was NEVER talking about flaunting the stated rules.  Also, as people mentioned Suites are getting some priority, I wanted to know a bit about that as well...

And then, starting with ch175's post and followed up by Gracie and bucfan, it seems like I was under attack...It just started getting a bit frustrating.  I really think we all need to look at what we post on these board in respect to other posters (myself included).  Better if we allow others to bring up whatever issues they are concerned with...and try to answer in nonjudgmental ways...Peace.