X:"We recommend that you arrive to the pier within your selected arrival time. Early arrivals may have a prolonged wait time"

NutsAboutGolf

Just deal with it. How many other situations in life has one encountered where unknowns exist? In the grand scheme of things does it matter if boarding has hiccups, or one has to "kill time" until one's assigned check-in window, or, as happened to us the night before we were to pick up our rental car at SAF we were informed we were on Enterprise's DNR list? We coped and I suspect that all those concerned about the boarding procedures will as well!

12 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

You posted the info that you got directly from Celebrity back on the first page.  It says to arrive at your check-in time between 11:30a and noon.  Watch your email for anything that counters that if you're in a suite, and you'll have your answer.   Go by what they send you.  I'm a little confused by your angst with this.  You have an early check-in time already.  They tend to not let anyone on the ship much before noon anyway, right?  

Problem is that none of know all that much about what they are doing NOW.  I can "wait for an email" that counters the earlier information...but I have been on a great many Celebrity cruise.  I know that those communications are wildly inconsistent.  Just on these two upcoming cruises, I received an email and checked their website to find edocs were available and I could order luggage tags by mail ON THE SECOND CRUISE...Yet the first one still said "pending", even though we were leaving in two weeks.  I called Celebrity.  Got someone who told me the mailed tag thing had to be an error-that they weren't doing that-- and he'd look into why the edocs weren't available on the first one.  Then, I saw posts on these boards where people reported getting their mailed tags...and people on my Roll Call reported edocs being available.  So, I called again...and got someone else at Celebrity to fix it, though maybe too late for mailed tags.  If it wasn't for these boards...If I had just "waited for an email" with different information, I likely never would have received anything.  So, I am thankful for these boards and the many helpful Cruise Critic members.

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

1)  It didn't appear there was any reference to our stateroom category or our Captain's Club status.  I think it completely was a factor of how early we registered--what appointment times were available at that time.  People who put it off until later, despite similar status, had fewer choices.

2)  I don't think they thought that one out since there are fairly few side-to-side opportunities in the early sailings.  I also don't think the system accounts for this in any way.  Maybe best to address this with them directly and see if any exceptions can be made.  I am assuming, also, that you can check in your luggage to the second cruise in advance of your scheduled boarding time...I would definitely try to log on sooner rather than later to get the earliest boarding time on that second cruise...either way, there will be some gap between when you have to be off the first one and even the earliest boarding time on the second.  Good luck.

thanks for the info.  Still haven't booked the second leg yet, but this change in process is a concern - a minor one admittedly, but at my age I am not up to standing outside in line in 90 degree heat in FLL for hours at a time.  That's why I agree with people who do consider this a potential issue.  Compared to all the procedures needed to return from Covid shutdowns?  Minor to be sure.  But different folks have different issues to be concerned about - it is not always just a simple matter of wanting the cruise line to cater to me in particular - there may be valid reasons this could be problematic for some.

31 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

thanks for the info.  Still haven't booked the second leg yet, but this change in process is a concern - a minor one admittedly, but at my age I am not up to standing outside in line in 90 degree heat in FLL for hours at a time.  That's why I agree with people who do consider this a potential issue.  Compared to all the procedures needed to return from Covid shutdowns?  Minor to be sure.  But different folks have different issues to be concerned about - it is not always just a simple matter of wanting the cruise line to cater to me in particular - there may be valid reasons this could be problematic for some.

I think staying on the ship as long as you can, as you have in the past, then going to the other ship and dropping off your luggage would be the best bet.  If you get a early check-in time you could still have a 1.5 hr wait and maybe longer.  Then, I would grab a Uber or taxi and go have a nice brunch before returning to check-in.  No reason to mess up the “vacation vibe” by standing around waiting when you could have a relaxing meal with a adult beverage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

Thanks, den...I don't think we've ever had a problem on these boards before, so I was a little surprised...

All I said earlier was that my time slot was 11:30 to Noon...and I thought I'd aim at getting there around 11--thinking it's likely the first such time lot and I was hoping maybe it would help me get on a little sooner--depending on hen they were actually ready...I definitely was NEVER talking about flaunting the stated rules.  Also, as people mentioned Suites are getting some priority, I wanted to know a bit about that as well...

And then, starting with ch175's post and followed up by Gracie and bucfan, it seems like I was under attack...It just started getting a bit frustrating.  I really think we all need to look at what we post on these board in respect to other posters (myself included).  Better if we allow others to bring up whatever issues they are concerned with...and try to answer in nonjudgmental ways...Peace. 

And peace to you. Sometimes I get a bit tooo cute!

den

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I find it highly amusing how some folks can take something and read it the why they want it to read.

The "Recommendation" is for ARRIVAL TO PORT TIME....Not time of embarkation.  The recommend you do not arrive too early.  If you do, you will wait.............You will be allowed to board at your designated time slot.....

• Thanks 1

“And then, starting with ch175's post and followed up by Gracie and bucfan, it seems like I was under attack...It just started getting a bit frustrating.  I really think we all need to look at what we post on these board in respect to other posters (myself included).  Better if we allow others to bring up whatever issues they are concerned with...and try to answer in nonjudgmental ways...Peace.”

Well stated, @Bruin Steve!  After a recent post I  felt VERY attacked by one individual in particular, who was then joined by others.  I just stated what was happening, and because I gave several updates, I guess, I was perceived by some to be “ranting”.  My purpose was nothing more than to help other cruisers because it took us an inordinately long time to board (sky suite).  I didn’t want people to come expecting a quick boarding and have our experience...so they would know they needed to bring water and a sun hat and account for no seating.  

The harsh criticisms were very uncomfortable and bothered me tremendously,  What saved the situation for me was the kindness and empathy of enough other posters that it softened the harsh criticisms of the few, one poster in particular, who was purposely obnoxious, IMO.  

The spirit of CC is to help each other have the best experience possible, and I hope the relatively few who sharpen their knives and seem to take pleasure from often cruel criticisms can grow as humans and learn to judge less and give the world kindness rather than what they perceive to be clever witticisms and hyper critical judgements.

Joanie

Edited by GeorgiaPeach51
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

So Funny !!!

My arrival time was 12-12:30.

After talking to others in the very long line they had arrival times of 1, 1:30, 2, 2:30 and some had a 3pm arrival time.

They all expected to be able to check in early, NOPE !

I was on the ship and at the Martini having a cocktail at 12:40.

Bottom line is if they SUGGEST a time they mean it !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, m8zenblue said:

So Funny !!!

My arrival time was 12-12:30.

After talking to others in the very long line they had arrival times of 1, 1:30, 2, 2:30 and some had a 3pm arrival time.

They all expected to be able to check in early, NOPE !

I was on the ship and at the Martini having a cocktail at 12:40.

Bottom line is if they SUGGEST a time they mean it !

Good to hear, I suppose folks just flat out don't to listen.  Enjoy that Martini!

11 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

“And then, starting with ch175's post and followed up by Gracie and bucfan, it seems like I was under attack...It just started getting a bit frustrating.  I really think we all need to look at what we post on these board in respect to other posters (myself included).  Better if we allow others to bring up whatever issues they are concerned with...and try to answer in nonjudgmental ways...Peace.”

Well stated, @Bruin Steve!  After a recent post I  felt VERY attacked by one individual in particular, who was then joined by others.  I just stated what was happening, and because I gave several updates, I guess, I was perceived by some to be “ranting”.  My purpose was nothing more than to help other cruisers because it took us an inordinately long time to board (sky suite).  I didn’t want people to come expecting a quick boarding and have our experience...so they would know they needed to bring water and a sun hat and account for no seating.  

The harsh criticisms were very uncomfortable and bothered me tremendously,  What saved the situation for me was the kindness and empathy of enough other posters that it softened the harsh criticisms of the few, one poster in particular, who was purposely obnoxious, IMO.  

The spirit of CC is to help each other have the best experience possible, and I hope the relatively few who sharpen their knives and seem to take pleasure from often cruel criticisms can grow as humans and learn to judge less and give the world kindness rather than what they perceive to be clever witticisms and hyper critical judgements.

Joanie

So true. Thank you again for taking time out of your vacation to try and help others.  It is truly appreciated.  I am confident that most people feel the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Joanie

I hear what you are saying.  Over the years I've encountered my fair share of this as well.  The fact is, this website is called Cruise Critic, not Celebrity Fan Club.  As such one should be able to report both the good and the bad they encounter.  I am a huge Celebrity fan - have 50 cruises under my belt and 10 more scheduled.  And I am happy (and often do) report all the things I love about Celebrity.  But there are also things I don't love, or sometimes (rarely) experiences that did not go well.  I should be able to state those as well without hearing comments to the effect that some people are never satisfied, some people just like to complain, some people just feel entitled and the list goes on and on.  I try to give people the benefit of the doubt as sometimes it is a matter of the written word being misinterpreted, but sadly more often these are just mean comments.  Just know that most of us are not judgmental like that, and we appreciate learning about the good and the bad so we can adjust accordingly.  Your post was very helpful to those just getting back to cruising and thinking the check-in process would go like the good ole days.  Important information was shared.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Your post was very helpful to those just getting back to cruising and thinking the check-in process would go like the good ole days.  Important information was shared.

@Georgia_Peaches This is pure curiosity, and I'm pretty sure the answer to the first part is "no". Did you get any communication that actually included when the Port Authority would open the building for processing? There are a handful of threads going, and I could swear someone posted "noon" in one of them as the earliest time either processing would start or the ship could be boarded, and I apologize that I don't remember what thread it was in (it may have been your conversation with the Retreat concierge). If I remember right, you were there at or shortly after noon, so you arrived after that window (if it was noon).

It's not obvious, and probably designed to not be obvious, but almost all interaction before crossing over the gangway to the ship (pre-ding, but I don't think there's a ding today), is actually the port authority. Kind of like going through an airport; other than the airline check in counter, everything else on the land side and a lot on the air side isn't run by the airline. And almost all activity on the shoreside of the cruise terminal (including I believe most of the check-in process) isn't with cruise line employees, although a lot of the staff are wearing Celebrity uniforms while working a Celebrity cruise. (And I assume change for Royal Caribbean, etc.) If their instructions said "open doors at 12:00pm"; the doors were going to open at 12:00pm, and people arriving at 10:00am would be guaranteed at least a 2 hour wait. And it sounds like a lot of that shoreside staff had been instructed to look for boarding times, but not necessarily priority boarding groups and suite passengers. The emails that have been posted sound just like the old emails we all used to get, and don't just flat out say "The terminal will not open until 12:00pm (or whatever time) and there will be no entry until that time". I'm also assuming even suite guests, who had priority boarding and could pretty much ignore the boarding times, had to pick a boarding time...

Glad you enjoyed the rest of your cruise! I'm not cruising again (for unrelated reasons) until I think this will all be sorted out, and maybe cruisers will prove to be at least temporarily trainable 😀

Markeb, you are correct....nothing that said the port opened at noon.  But it wouldn’t have mattered to us because we had that Celebrity transfer.  Talk about “buyer beware”!

I think we can very fairly be criticized for thinking the transfer folks knew what was going on, where we should be, and when.  Now we know better!  

And I think every comment you made about the shoreside staff is right on target.  I confess that I’ve never wondered, nor did I ever need to wonder, if a Celebrity-shirted shoreside person was a “real” employee.  So even after more than 30 cruises, there is more to learn!  I do not now take for granted all those prior cruises that we strolled in, enjoyed the ac, sat for a few minutes, or more often, just rolled seamlessly through the check-in process.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Markeb, you are correct....nothing that said the port opened at noon.  But it wouldn’t have mattered to us because we had that Celebrity transfer.  Talk about “buyer beware”!

I think we can very fairly be criticized for thinking the transfer folks knew what was going on, where we should be, and when.  Now we know better!  

And I think every comment you made about the shoreside staff is right on target.  I confess that I’ve never wondered, nor did I ever need to wonder, if a Celebrity-shirted shoreside person was a “real” employee.  So even after more than 30 cruises, there is more to learn!  I do not now take for granted all those prior cruises that we strolled in, enjoyed the ac, sat for a few minutes, or more often, just rolled seamlessly through the check-in process.

Thanks. That's what I suspected. And the multiple parallel threads on related topics means I didn't even realize this wasn't the one you started! Cruise Critic is back to normal even if the world is still trying!

It seems likely from your thread there was a hard open time, and a lot of people got there before it. If there was a hard open, it wasn't communicated. And even worse, Celebrity scheduled transfers before the hard open time. Which is nuts. I remember, but didn't take screen shots (as I say, we're scheduled for a cruise in April that's now become undoable for reasons unrelated to world events) because it didn't impact me, something from Celebrity about delaying boarding in general for enhanced cleaning procedures between cruises. 11-12 is stuck in my brain, but it's been awhile. It just seems like if there is a hard time, that needs to be in the so far way too polite email. And adjust the contracts for transfers accordingly as well. Load up bags and do an hour tour to arrive 15 minutes before opening, or adjust the boarding time to match the transfer (they do this all the time with ship's tours; you get off first for an early tour), or possibly both. Stick a gold "Celebrity Transfer" sticker on your printed pass or give you a business card that says "Celebrity Transfer" and a time. People can argue that's not fair, but Celebrity is selling and wants to sell transfers, so it's a way to add value to transfers. But definitely don't have a direct airport to terminal transfer that arrives before the port opens for processing!

Crazy analogy, but we had General Admission (standing) Springsteen tickets in I think 2007. There was a totally different procedure for GA, but my wife had knee surgery between buying the tickets and the concert, and we knew we were going to do an ADA accommodation, which the venue did. Problem was they really didn't tell you how to do that for GA; we got there in time for GA, but didn't go to the GA gate because the special needs desk was at the main entrance, but the tickets couldn't be read at the main entrance because they were GA! And, the main entrance opened over an hour or more after the GA gate. Once we got in, the venue was great! An usher appeared miraculously with a transfer chair, took us to the desk, got the new (not so great, but in the arena tickets) rolled her to our seats, and we had a great concert. But they never seemed to have anticipated (and we did call) someone who would normally be in the Pit lottery needing an actual seat for medical reasons. And she was in real pain waiting. Perfect storm...

I think you experienced the perfect storm on your embarkation!

16 hours ago, LMHSRN said:

I find it highly amusing how some folks can take something and read it the why they want it to read.

The "Recommendation" is for ARRIVAL TO PORT TIME....Not time of embarkation.  The recommend you do not arrive too early.  If you do, you will wait.............You will be allowed to board at your designated time slot.....

Many may be thinking of the 'pre-pandemic' days when it did not matter, much, when we arrived to the port....

Now it does.

bon voyage

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

The nice ones do.  🙂

well I guess I don't stay at 'nice ones'  There is a limit to what I spend to lay my head down for a night after getting a flight the day before fore the sole reason of avoiding weather /flight issues. The hotels are gouging us one night stand cruisers!

so if we arrive at the airport at 10:30 am and have a Celebrity transfer ???? Has anyone experienced this?

My solution for a late boarding will be to get a rental car upon arriving the day before and just go somewhere until it is time to return the car ,. This takes care of the luggage issue.

We often just take airport and hotel transfers but since I book cheap hotels there is no place to hang out while waiting.

The issue is not the Ports or Celebrity's.  It is the people who think they are special and can arrive and board when they want and the heck with what instructions are or appointment times assigned.

It's a different world today folks.  If we want things to go smoothly, pay attention to instructions and don't think you are any more anxious or special then the next guy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LMHSRN said:

The issue is not the Ports or Celebrity's.  It is the people who think they are special and can arrive and board when they want and the heck with what instructions are or appointment times assigned.

It's a different world today folks.  If we want things to go smoothly, pay attention to instructions and don't think you are any more anxious or special then the next guy!

Not everyone thinks they are "special".  Maybe they got there earlier than expected because they planned for traffic and there wasn't any.

If I get there early I understand the rules.  But some people can't stand for long periods of time.

• Like 1

I think it’s time for Celebrity to respond to this issue. Please explain why passengers that arrive before their boarding time, for whatever reasons, can not enter the terminal. Forcing guest to stand in the heat is a dangerous procedure. Please don’t use COVID as an excuse. I don’t see airline passengers standing outside the airport terminal. Celebrity has a brand new terminal that can provide a safe environment for guest to wait. And as ship capacity increases, this problem will only get worse. Celebrity owns that terminal as I understand. Think outside the box, but do something before a guest is critically injured. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, runningtide said:

I think it’s time for Celebrity to respond to this issue. Please explain why passengers that arrive before their boarding time, for whatever reasons, can not enter the terminal. Forcing guest to stand in the heat is a dangerous procedure.

I believe the assigned arrival times is a requirement/recommendation/whatever imposed by the CDC.

If Celebrity allows people in the terminal, or provides some kind of amenities, it seems like that would violate whatever rule the CDC has implemented.

If this is the case, which I admit it’s difficult to read through pages and pages of government speak, your beef is with the CDC and not Celebrity.

4 minutes ago, runningtide said:

I think it’s time for Celebrity to respond to this issue. Please explain why passengers that arrive before their boarding time, for whatever reasons, can not enter the terminal. Forcing guest to stand in the heat is a dangerous procedure. Please don’t use COVID as an excuse. I don’t see airline passengers standing outside the airport terminal. Celebrity has a brand new terminal that can provide a safe environment for guest to wait. And as ship capacity increases, this problem will only get worse. Celebrity owns that terminal as I understand. Think outside the box, but do something before a guest is critically injured. 

Port Everglades is owned by Broward County. RCG has an agreement through 2026 to use Terminal 25, but the renovation was paid for by Port Everglades. Most recent info I found.  https://www.porteverglades.net/articles/post/port-to-invest-100m-plus-to-renovate-cruise-terminal-25-as-part-of-new-royal-caribbean-agreement/

I'm pretty confident Celebrity's plans and agreements with Port Everglades were to abide by the CSO, which recommends staggered embarkation and disembarkation. Their agreement with Port Everglades would govern how many people are in the terminal, and most likely when the terminal opens for boarding. There are also other posts that suggest this was something of a one off. Although if things worked last week because everyone didn't show up two hours early, everyone will show up two hours early this week and it'll be a mess again. 

• Like 3