X:"We recommend that you arrive to the pier within your selected arrival time. Early arrivals may have a prolonged wait time"

NutsAboutGolf

6 minutes ago, yorky said:

I think we all know that’s not going to happen. We don’t really live in a world these days where “ making it easier on everyone else” is the norm.

Boy, is this ever true.

What in the world makes people think they should be able to bend the "rules" or "recommendations" to fit what they want........  oh, that's right....it's this "all about me" world.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

But, thus far, all we have been told is that our appointment time is 11:30-Noon

I don't believe the folks that are raising objections here are concerned about having that sort of embarkation time. You did well or were fortunate to have that time, but those windows fill up. Others will have times far later. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RichYak said:

5 hour wait at hotel vs 2 hour wait at port implies that you've booked a hotel that's nearly 3 hours away from the ship. In your case, I would suggest some sightseeing or lunch during that journey.

I don’t mean to suggest that at all. Just saying that if check in starts at 10 and I get a 2pm check in time. First of all, my day starts at 6. That’s when I get up and as much as I would love sleeping in on vacation, my body doesn’t do that. Since im having a leisurely morning, from 6-9 I can have my coffee, work out, have breakfast, shower, etc. I’ll be ready to head down to the port and arrive by 10. So I would do that, drop our luggage off and try my luck at waiting on line 10-12. If we get on the ship great, if not, we have relieved ourselves of our luggage and would look for a walking distance spot for lunch. 

vs, being ready to go at 9, but choosing to wait at the hotel, and wait, then check out of our room and wait w luggage, and then find somewhere for lunch with our luggage, and then around 1 loading up and heading down to the port.

I don't believe the folks that are raising objections here are concerned about having that sort of embarkation time. You did well or were fortunate to have that time, but those windows fill up. Others will have times far later. 

44 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What does one do if they need to use a bathroom while waiting in line?

You can't go early but can you go late?

That is what the old rum runners can be used for these days 😂😂

• Haha 1

And of course, this will cut both ways. Some people are bound to get the last window which will presumably close to the cut off time for boarding. So you get the 2 o' clock window and are determined to follow the instructions to not be early. You call your uber at 1. Uber never shows so at 1:30 you call another. Then you pull onto the highway and there's a major accident and the highway is shut down or at a crawl and you are stuck for an hour plus. Suddenly you instead of arriving at the terminal at 2 you are now arriving at 3:30 and advised that boarding is shut down and you are out of luck. And then, of course, you will be hammered with "well you should have gone earlier...."

Edited by sanger727

13 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

When we sailed out of Port Everglades Terminal 25 in a Royal or Penthouse Suite we had a placard for the driver to put in the windshield.  We pulled up right to the entrance and were met by a host with a list of eligible guests.  A porter took our luggage right there and we were directed to the entrance adjacent to the building.  Did you have a difference experience? 

Our problem was we were notified that our penthouse move up was accepted less than 48 hours before we sailed did not get a chance to print it off . We didn’t get word of the placard until the day before .

• Like 1

I suspect that if you arrive early and the passengers scheduled for that time slot have been processed... sure they will go ahead and let you on... they are not likely to say... "bad boy, go sit in the corner even though there is no one in line". On the other hand if you arrive and the lines are full.. they will likely tell you to come back at your time...   Now I don't know what they will do if you are late for your time...probably work you in..if there is a crowd

1 hour ago, isdoo said:

That is what the old rum runners can be used for these days 😂😂

I'll just bring an empty Gatorade bottle?  Adult diapers?  There must be a bathroom somewhere.  🙂

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, kearney said:

I suspect that if you arrive early and the passengers scheduled for that time slot have been processed... sure they will go ahead and let you on... they are not likely to say... "bad boy, go sit in the corner even though there is no one in line".

That's what everyone's been saying, and that makes sense.  With the low capacities, that could probably work easily enough.  As capacities (rapidly) increase, folks may find themselves hanging around for more than a little while should they show up a good deal earlier than their appointed time.

Seems to be a lot of opinions…but talking to some of the pier personnel checking people in, Celebrity wants to keep a crowd of people milling about to a minimum inside the terminal.  So, they are requiring you to show up at your designated time.  If not, you’ll likely not have any quarter inside the terminal.  You will be stuck out in the sun.

I know people are used to just showing up and being processed.  Different times now, though.  You can check out of your hotel, find a place to have breakfast or lunch…hang out at the airport.  What you don’t want to do is to be sitting on your luggage outside the terminal waiting for your boarding time to arrive.

Hope that helps.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Seems to be a lot of opinions…but talking to some of the pier personnel checking people in, Celebrity wants to keep a crowd of people milling about to a minimum inside the terminal.  So, they are requiring you to show up at your designated time.  If not, you’ll likely not have any quarter inside the terminal.  You will be stuck out in the sun.

I know people are used to just showing up and being processed.  Different times now, though.  You can check out of your hotel, find a place to have breakfast or lunch…hang out at the airport.  What you don’t want to do is to be sitting on your luggage outside the terminal waiting for your boarding time to arrive.

Hope that helps.

Good advice!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, kearney said:

I suspect that if you arrive early and the passengers scheduled for that time slot have been processed... sure they will go ahead and let you on... they are not likely to say... "bad boy, go sit in the corner even though there is no one in line". On the other hand if you arrive and the lines are full.. they will likely tell you to come back at your time...   Now I don't know what they will do if you are late for your time...probably work you in..if there is a crowd

If they have capacity for a certain number of people per hour and want to keep that constant, then the system RELIES on people showing up EARLY.     For every person that misses their time because of a delayed flight, slow Uber, long lunch, bad traffic, etc... there is a need for an early person to take their spot in order to maintain a constant flow of people and open up a space later.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, D C said:

If they have capacity for a certain number of people per hour and want to keep that constant, then the system RELIES on people showing up EARLY.     For every person that misses their time because of a delayed flight, slow Uber, long lunch, bad traffic, etc... there is a need for an early person to take their spot in order to maintain a constant flow of people and open up a space later.  

That being said there have always been peak times.  Nobody wants to miss lunch on board.  If you show up late there is often no lines to deal with.

3 minutes ago, D C said:

Agreed...

Am I the only person who finds this entire thread comical?  I would wager that:

1) Not a single person's opinion/decision of when to arrive at the terminal has been changed

2) Each person/party is going to show up when they feel it's appropriate to show up, and

3) People w/ extreme views (show up 3 hours early/show up at or after designated time/etc/etc) just aren't getting the pat on the back that they are in need of.

Kinda hope this thread continues thru 2022...breaks the monotony of the vaxxed/mask/tipping/chair-hog threads.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I don’t mean to suggest that at all. Just saying that if check in starts at 10 and I get a 2pm check in time. First of all, my day starts at 6. That’s when I get up and as much as I would love sleeping in on vacation, my body doesn’t do that. Since im having a leisurely morning, from 6-9 I can have my coffee, work out, have breakfast, shower, etc. I’ll be ready to head down to the port and arrive by 10. So I would do that, drop our luggage off and try my luck at waiting on line 10-12. If we get on the ship great, if not, we have relieved ourselves of our luggage and would look for a walking distance spot for lunch. 

vs, being ready to go at 9, but choosing to wait at the hotel, and wait, then check out of our room and wait w luggage, and then find somewhere for lunch with our luggage, and then around 1 loading up and heading down to the port.

There is nothing restaurant wise within walking distance of Port Everglades.

Well, I suppose it only was a matter of time before we heard "the system depends on someone not following it."  Rationalization is a powerful force.

5 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Kinda hope this thread continues thru 2022...breaks the monotony of the vaxxed/mask/tipping/chair-hog threads.

Indeed.  Assigned arrival times and wrist bracelets are the new tipping and dress code.  I did enjoy the nostalgia of the rum runners, though!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

That being said there have always been peak times.  Nobody wants to miss lunch on board.  If you show up late there is often no lines to deal with.

Heck with lunch, I just want that first drink. 😄

Save for our first X cruise when we honored the arrival time and the terminal was stuffed with people, we've been early risers and early to the port which we've found avoids the long lines.   That said, enforcing arrival times is most certainly an effort to even out the flow of bodies and get people onboard smoothly and quickly.