Connie in drydock?

Fogfog

2 hours ago, JRG said:

Ugg.    Thanks for the heads-up.   Not sure exactly what that means right now.

It depends what you want.  If you are hoping for the Revolution anytime soon, I doubt that will happen.  However, Celebrity's VP seemed excited about returning to Tampa.  I think the Constellation will be sailing from there for awhile.  

On 7/17/2021 at 1:42 PM, ipeeinthepool said:

Sounds like only required maintenance will be done.  This will be in line with other ships that have gone into drydock during the pandemic.   It's doubtful that any part of the "Revolution"  will be accomplished.

Agree.  No capital funding to spend other than for the new build ships.  Only required maintenance.

On 7/21/2021 at 1:17 PM, ipeeinthepool said:

It depends what you want.  If you are hoping for the Revolution anytime soon, I doubt that will happen.  However, Celebrity's VP seemed excited about returning to Tampa.  I think the Constellation will be sailing from there for awhile.  

Love her like a roadie but she was ready for a new carpet and upholstery,  that's enough for me.

Also watching her ship movements as I was worried she was one of the next capital assets to be retired to fund the survival quest like HAL and others have done.

We had a great time on her two summers ago as she is a great ship and we are hoping for another MamaMia experience so if she stays on course I'll be happy.

Pretty basic stuff really.

(p.s.  Mr. Spock is on the ship trying to get back to a time portal in Rome...its a long story and I cant' go into it here.)

On 7/17/2021 at 1:42 PM, ipeeinthepool said:

Sounds like only required maintenance will be done.  This will be in line with other ships that have gone into drydock during the pandemic.   It's doubtful that any part of the "Revolution"  will be accomplished.

Better to sail a reliable ship.

2 hours ago, JRG said:

Love her like a roadie but she was ready for a new carpet and upholstery,  that's enough for me.

Also watching her ship movements as I was worried she was one of the next capital assets to be retired to fund the survival quest like HAL and others have done.

We had a great time on her two summers ago as she is a great ship and we are hoping for another MamaMia experience so if she stays on course I'll be happy.

Pretty basic stuff really.

(p.s.  Mr. Spock is on the ship trying to get back to a time portal in Rome...its a long story and I cant' go into it here.)

HAL retired about 15 years older ships but none of their Vista Class ships that sre similar in age to Constellation.

14 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

HAL retired about 15 years older ships but none of their Vista Class ships that sre similar in age to Constellation.

She still looks pretty good laying up next to those  Luxury yachts in places like Portofino. 

Not too big not too small.   We had the S1 Penthouse jr suite.    Pretty awesome way to cruise the Med with Luminae and the staff in Michael's and the best perks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 5:18 PM, Definitas said:

I also got excited when I saw Constellation was enroute to Cadiz. We were very disappointed that the revolution refit didn’t take place and are debating whether to make final payment next month for our November ABC cruise. It is a lift and shift from Nov 20 and has all 4 legacy perks from the now defunct Go Best program so it is a difficult decision. 

We had considered a western Med. on the "Connie" in May 2022, but not unless she gets a REFURB not just required mtce.  She is long overdue for a refurb. (IMO).

Someone was asking what was being done in dry dock.

Hull hydro-blasting (power washer on steriods) and repaint, some propeller and stabilizer work, a new pair of sonar units, replacement of the azipod thrust bearings (Constellation was the last ship to finally blow one out - a bit of history there - her original captain was very gentle), some paint work on the deck, overhangs, etc.

If we're lucky, all of the soft goods that were undoubtedly already paid for an in a warehouse somewhere might get installed before 11/7.  If they've got new curtains, no reason not to install them.  There should be plenty of dock-side labor available now.

8 hours ago, canderson said:

Hull hydro-blasting (power washer on steriods) and repaint, some propeller and stabilizer work, a new pair of sonar units, replacement of the azipod thrust bearings (Constellation was the last ship to finally blow one out - a bit of history there - her original captain was very gentle), some paint work on the deck, overhangs, etc.

If we're lucky, all of the soft goods that were undoubtedly already paid for an in a warehouse somewhere might get installed before 11/7.  If they've got new curtains, no reason not to install them.  There should be plenty of dock-side labor available now.

Does she get the blue hull?

11 hours ago, canderson said:

Thank you for the nice detailed update.     It seems to make sense and hopefully the carpet and upholstery is in the warehouse waiting to be changed.   

I just like the ship and we're hoping to sail her next year in the Med.

Connie is one of our favs...but we  did a lift and shift to Reflectiion ages ago.. good move b/c.the orig Connie  from Tampa was eventually cancelled.

Still want to cruise Connie from Tampa...close to our winter home and a niice chance to visit the area,,.zoo, aquarium, river walk.. we hear it is a nice port.

We'll be following progress!

Edited by hcat

Yup,  CONSTELLATION  is painted on, no stencils.  😊

Think she'll be in the X fleet for at least another season.  Hard to tell at this resolution, but looking at the bow, I'd say the power washing (hydro blast) job pulled off all of the old paint first.  None of that 'layered' look you get after a few dozen trips through the canals!  Looking sharp.

Edited by canderson

she looks great, hope our 10 day on her this dec goes as planned out of our home port. Been way to long since last cruise. wish everyone well on CC....also wish we could bring errol flynn or tyrone power back from the graves and make  a pirate  movie on our sailing, . where the gov of florida would walk the plank........That would be even better than trivia..... take care everyone.

i understand, but his stance on the cruise lines in florida not being able to demand proof of vaccination has rankled more than a few feathers and then his recent rants about kids not having to wear masks  in school has ever more upset...I am not much on politics, i just want us to stay safe as a society, and to listen to those that we entrust to keep us medically safe...just sayin'

Safety is relative ... hence the fact that the cruise lines can operate at all.  They still catch positives aboard all the time. 

It's all about perceived risk/reward ratio, and everyone has their own threshold ... sometimes using good data, sometimes not, but resulting in many different decisions.

2 hours ago, canderson said:

Safety is relative ... hence the fact that the cruise lines can operate at all.  They still catch positives aboard all the time. 

It's all about perceived risk/reward ratio, and everyone has their own threshold ... sometimes using good data, sometimes not, but resulting in many different decisions.

Fortunately the CDC did not try and shut down the industry when noro was prevalant and affected many more.