Covid Test Required for All Iceland Visitors Starting July 26

jtwind

Not sure it is back but a new requirement. My understanding was that the previous regime (until July 1st) was that you did a test at the airport, whereas this suggests that you need to present a negative test result before boarding the flight to Iceland.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NeilP57 said:

Not sure it is back but a new requirement. My understanding was that the previous regime (until July 1st) was that you did a test at the airport, whereas this suggests that you need to present a negative test result before boarding the flight to Iceland.

Excellent point. I was so wrapped up in the change that I missed that difference.

10 minutes ago, jtwind said:

Not surprised at all.  I had a feeling they were going to institute something to address the increase in cases locally.  We're arriving the 24th, so just missing the cutoff for the new requirement.

40 minutes ago, WanderingBrit said:

Unlike Bermuda, Iceland will accept an antigen test - much easier to get results quickly than the PCR.

We are arriving on the 24th but will get antigen test before we go-   Thanks. 

All vaccinated individuals, as well as those confirmed to have contracted and recovered from COVID-19, will have to present a negative COVID test (PCR or Antigen), no older than 72 hours when boarding a plane to Iceland, the Minister of Health has announced, based on the Chief Epidemiologist’s recommendations.

I hope Iceland posts something official soon because the article contradicts itself.  In the beginning of the article, it states they will accept PCR or Antigen test results but in the second to the last paragraph it reports the minister of health saying visitors need to present a negative PCR test.  Although upon second read this might mean unvaccinated visitors will need PCR tests and vaccinated can have PCR or Antigen.

Edited by gskimmel
  • Like 1

On reflection whilst this is another hurdle to jump through before enjoying our vacation, it should mean that we are possibly safer on the plane than we would have been. 

It has to be better to test before boarding than on arrival.

Our biggest fear on this trip is catching Covid whilst travelling and having to quarantine in Iceland before being able to return to the UK.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

On reflection whilst this is another hurdle to jump through before enjoying our vacation, it should mean that we are possibly safer on the plane than we would have been. 

Our biggest fear on this trip is catching Covid whilst travelling and having to quarantine in Iceland before being able to return to the UK.

Well said! Totally agree. 

I know we have to apply for authorization to Iceland prior to leaving home.  Do we have to get tested and include results of negative test in our application to Iceland?  Or do we just present it to Icelandic authorities when entering their country?

21 minutes ago, Triptkr said:

I know we have to apply for authorization to Iceland prior to leaving home.  Do we have to get tested and include results of negative test in our application to Iceland?  Or do we just present it to Icelandic authorities when entering their country?

Keep checking Covid.is for updates—it will tell you there. Pre-registration form is at travel.Covid.is.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

Are you risking travelling without insurance given FCO advice?

If you're on Jupiter, you may want to make sure you clearly understand what turnaround time is for any testing site you choose.  Many of us will be departing for Iceland on a Monday, which means a lot of that 72 hour time period may be eaten up if the lab processing the test is closed on the weekend. 

But I'm a little confused on this.  Is Iceland going to look at the date of the results, or the date of the test?  I haven't been tested in a long time, but the turnaround time (at least in my area) used to be 1 to 3 days for a regular PCR test. I didn't ask before if that was business days or all days.  My county offers a chart listing places that offer testing,  but few places have posted turnaround time.  So now I'm wondering when I need to get tested, and if I should just cave and get a rapid antigen test, even though it may not be as accurate as the PCR test. 

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

Thank you for the information though now have more preparation for the trip. We fly out on a Monday evening so test cannot be earlier than Friday evening. We live in Delaware and per the state covid website there are no rapid testing sites open on the weekend. We have CVS but they don't do the rapid tests in DE, it must be by state. I'll be on the phone tomorrow checking for nearby options otherwise I guess we'll be making a trip out of state for our tests and that's hoping we can get them in another state. Entering Iceland seemed so easy compared to Bermuda and Malta but with the changes in the covid rates they are being more cautious. I am so looking forward to this trip and now I just hope we are able to satisfy the requirements and are able to go.

• Like 1

I am a bit surprised there isn’t much official information about such a major change taking place so soon.  We only have two sources:  a single news article that says the start date is July 26 and the news section of the Iceland government website that says the start date is July 27.  I checked Delta’s website and they say we just need to show proof of vaccination (we fly out on July 25).  I checked Iceland Air to see if they mention anything but I didn’t see anything there either.  I spent the entire day looking for testing options for us as it seems not all tests are the same.  Some tests go deeper in the nasal than others and not all tests are accepts by all airlines/countries.  From what I can tell, we can either have the rapid antigen test or the RT-PCR test.  The airports offer the PCR test and provide results within an hour but those cost $250.  There are also places like Sameday Health that offer RT-PCR test results within 16 hours or the rapid antigen test with results within 30 minutes.  Originally, we were going to go for the PCR test, but I think we will just go for the antigen test.  We are so busy working at home that we hardly go out so if we do by chance get covid, it would be from airport to ship, which would not show on this test.

This is from the Iceland website. We are flying July 26 overnight arriving the 27th as many of you may be doing as well. Feeling right now that to be safe we would have a rapid test done at home. Waiting to see what guidance we get from Viking.

Are you traveling to Iceland? | Ísland.is (island.is) 

NOTE: From 27 July 2021 vaccinated passengers (and those with a prior infection) born in 2004 or earlier, must present a negative PCR or antigen test (not older than 72 hours) prior to boarding a vessel to Iceland.

You must show proof of vaccination prior to boarding a vessel on your way to Iceland, and you will need to present it at the border. Border guards will evaluate if your vaccination certificate is valid.

3 hours ago, Steve NH said:

This is from the Iceland website. We are flying July 26 overnight arriving the 27th as many of you may be doing as well. Feeling right now that to be safe we would have a rapid test done at home. Waiting to see what guidance we get from Viking.

Are you traveling to Iceland? | Ísland.is (island.is) 

NOTE: From 27 July 2021 vaccinated passengers (and those with a prior infection) born in 2004 or earlier, must present a negative PCR or antigen test (not older than 72 hours) prior to boarding a vessel to Iceland.

You must show proof of vaccination prior to boarding a vessel on your way to Iceland, and you will need to present it at the border. Border guards will evaluate if your vaccination certificate is valid.

Thank you!  It seems that a rapid antigen test will be sufficient per island.is website.  And, I agree, for your case, makes sense to get one.  I hope the rapid antigen test will suffice as our schedule will likely not permit a full 2-3 day turnaround within 72 hrs of departure for PCR before we leave or enroute. 

I will watch the island.is website you referenced to see if any further details are provided about what tests qualify.  And, I will be curious to hear what you learn from Viking.

Right now, although not updated for the new requirement for vaccinated travelers, the United airlines website only says "PCR" with no mention of antigen.  I'm no expert on the difference but it seems that antigen tests can be done more quickly than PCR (although I have seen rapid tests that are called PCR as well). 

3 hours ago, gskimmel said:

I am a bit surprised there isn’t much official information about such a major change taking place so soon.  We only have two sources:  a single news article that says the start date is July 26 and the news section of the Iceland government website that says the start date is July 27.  I checked Delta’s website and they say we just need to show proof of vaccination (we fly out on July 25).  I checked Iceland Air to see if they mention anything but I didn’t see anything there either.  I spent the entire day looking for testing options for us as it seems not all tests are the same.  Some tests go deeper in the nasal than others and not all tests are accepts by all airlines/countries.  From what I can tell, we can either have the rapid antigen test or the RT-PCR test.  The airports offer the PCR test and provide results within an hour but those cost $250.  There are also places like Sameday Health that offer RT-PCR test results within 16 hours or the rapid antigen test with results within 30 minutes.  Originally, we were going to go for the PCR test, but I think we will just go for the antigen test.  We are so busy working at home that we hardly go out so if we do by chance get covid, it would be from airport to ship, which would not show on this test.

Ditto!  I'm anxiously awaiting more information on what specific tests qualify.  I will watch island.is website and also await more info from United Airlines (not yet updated for vaccinated travelers test requirements) and also Iceland Air.  Also, hoping to get more info soon from Viking, although our cruise is still a month away.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hockeyump said:

Are you risking travelling without insurance given FCO advice?

From traveller in the UK ............     I have read this several times on CC but I have not seen the "official" advice.  Where can I find the FCO advice about cruising.  We have insurance for this holiday and at the moment we understand that it is valid?

14 minutes ago, Jay23 said:

From traveller in the UK ............     I have read this several times on CC but I have not seen the "official" advice.  Where can I find the FCO advice about cruising.  We have insurance for this holiday and at the moment we understand that it is valid?

www.gov.uk/guidance/cruise-ship-travel

20 minutes ago, Jay23 said:

You just need to do your own research. I have an insurance policy that covers me for what I need, for travelling against FCO advice, but many do not. 

It is somewhat perplexing that the UK government permit travel to Iceland and includes it on the green list of countries, with the lowest level of checks on return. It also permits and allows UK cruises around UK waters with fully vaccinated UK passengers ( as long as there is a plan to vaccinate crew) and passengers test negative pre-boarding. I guess the only point of advising against International Cruising is that they do not wish UK passengers to mix with passengers from other countries, even if they are fully vaccinated and test negative on boarding. 

All that being said, we all have our decisions to make on this as Viking are happy to take us knowingly against FCO advice.