Favorite dishes at Cucina del Capitano!

ninjacat123

On 7/22/2021 at 10:10 PM, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

You are just a ray of sunshine, If you hate everything on carnival so much why do you keep sailing? 

Because there are many other things that I enjoy. No cruise line is perfect. Period. Guy's, Blue Iguana, Pizza place, and lobster night in the MDR are all very good. Steakhouse is good but too expensive IMO. Of course, my job is not to impress you so you can go back to the hole you keep popping out of to make snide personal comments.

28 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

Because there are many other things that I enjoy. No cruise line is perfect. Period. Guy's, Blue Iguana, Pizza place, and lobster night in the MDR are all very good. Steakhouse is good but too expensive IMO. Of course, my job is not to impress you so you can go back to the hole you keep popping out of to make snide personal comments.

I with you, though if there werent other choices I'm sure I'd like the pork chop. My issue is i dont eat pasta and dont like my tomatoes  cooked and dont eat italian at all. 

I'm ok with the prices including the steakhouse. Just other food I like better and admit I'm a snacker more than  a meat eater. I cant wait for as many nights of JiJis as I can book. One time for steak will be enough for me. I do love salads and greens though. I am always full on cruises, my eyes are bigger than my stomach. I'm thinking of trying the pork chop. Reading thru this. I like Caesars salads and fingerling potatoes as sides. I prefer sides to meat. Picky eater I guess. Give me a salad and I'm happy.

Maybe I'll try the pork chop just so I know. So many choices, so little time :)

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 2

On 7/20/2021 at 2:48 PM, Buffalobills said:

Excellent!! Go hungry they give you a lot of food.

I booked this for my last night on the Panorama. First night is Steakhouse.  I will eat the Sea Day Brunch and how can I skip Guy's  on Capitano night?😁

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

The Tomahawk Chop is tempting us, too.

Barry’s-Tomahawk-Pork-Chop-.jpg

Lol those green beans look even better. I try and eat meat for protein, just not as much into it. I know those potatoes on the menu arent good for me, but I'm irish and love potatoes. At least they dont make you sit there until you eat the whole pork chop.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol those green beans look even better. I try and eat meat for protein, just not as much into it. I know those potatoes on the menu arent good for me, but I'm irish and love potatoes. At least they dont make you sit there until you eat the whole pork chop.

I hear ya. Somewhere around 45 the thought of eating a whole steak had me off my feed. Now that we grow our own veggies like artichokes and butternut squash smaller amounts of protein are the norm. Except when we are on a Carnival cruise. We like the chicken in the Italian restaurant quite well and the 5 oz filet on the Seaday Brunch menu is the perfect size of beef for me.

Artichoke 2021.jpg

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I hear ya. Somewhere around 45 the thought of eating a whole steak had me off my feed. Now that we grow our own veggies like artichokes and butternut squash smaller amounts of protein are the norm. Except when we are on a Carnival cruise. We like the chicken in the Italian restaurant quite well and the 5 oz filet on the Seaday Brunch menu is the perfect size of beef for me.

Artichoke 2021.jpg

Oh you grow them! I love artichokes.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

That picture is not from Cucina.   The pork chop comes a la carte and has crispy sage and shallots as accompaniments. The fingerling potatoes will overwhelm you, there was enough to feed 3, lol.

• Like 1

Reading these posts make even more excited that for a "limited time" on the Mardi Gras, Cucina, ChaBang, and Guys Anchor something (the BBQ place) will not cost anything in the evening.  I love Cucina and though $15 wasn't a big deal to me, free is even better.  Sailing on August 28th so not sure if the "limited time" will still be in effect.

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2021 at 5:25 PM, sid_9169 said:

The bone in pork chop... They call it something different on the menu, but definitely worth ordering. Also, Nona's meatballs...

Definitely one of the best bone-in pork chops I've ever had. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sc4125 said:

Sailing on August 28th so not sure if the "limited time" will still be in effect.

Shirley.....don't think you have to worry.  It's only the 5th sailing.  You just have to make sure that you make your reservations as soon as you board.

We on the other hand, will probably be shelling out 15.00 per since we are on the 14th sailing on Oct 30.

6 minutes ago, Kevin308 said:

What is the dress code at this restraunt?  Is it cruise Cassual?

You can come as you are. Shorts are allowed.  We usually go cruise casual, but there really isn't a dress code except for a no bathing suits kind of thing.

1 minute ago, RoperDK said:

You can come as you are. Shorts are allowed.  We usually go cruise casual, but there really isn't a dress code except for a no bathing suits kind of thing.

Is that on formal nights too?  

I always get the same each time-the meatballs, & the shrimp pasta entree -forgot what its called. I think it has sausage with it. And I ask for extra shrimp & they do it!! I also get the garlic bread plain with butter-so good, and the yummy apple dessert.

2 minutes ago, EZ1 said:

I always get the same each time-the meatballs, & the shrimp pasta entree -forgot what its called. I think it has sausage with it. And I ask for extra shrimp & they do it!! I also get the garlic bread plain with butter-so good, and the yummy apple dessert.

Its the shrimp papadelle, also get the broccoli/cauliflower side-so so good.

Just off the Breeze and we ate at both the Steakhouse and Cucina del Capitano.  The Steakhouse was hands down, the best meal of the cruise.  Let me start out by saying that I love Italian food.  Cucina del Capitano was good.  For myself and the rest of my party, we all agreed that we would probably not eat there again on any ship where it is offered.  For us, it wasn't worth the extra money.  Don't get me wrong, the $15.00 per person is very nominal, just that the meal was not something I would pay the extra money for again.   I had the House made Burrata for my appetizer and the Chicken Parmesan for my meal.  Both were good and had large portions.  The star of the meal was my dessert.  I had the Agrumi Torta Al Miele E Polenta Sorbetto De Limone (Hand ground polenta cake with citrus custard cream served with lemon sorbet)  I would have paid the $15.00 for this dessert alone.  It was the best dessert of the whole cruise.   Otherwise, the meal was ok.

Having only been the second cruise that this ship sailed post pandemic, we knew there would be some adjustment period for the staff.  Not sure if we can equate the main meal quality to the situation, but, like I said, the meal was good, just not great.  Our waiter barely spoke any English - just Spanish, so there was a little bit of a language back and forth, but, in the end, he got all of our orders correct, so that was a plus.  One thing we found odd was that this specialty restaurant has a limited beverage menu and they did not vary from it.  One or my party tried ordering some drinks - such as a vodka sour, and they told him that we had to order what was listed on the menus.   

Again, this was our experience.  Who knows, maybe somewhere in the future, we will try again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, LRDR01 said:

J The star of the meal was my dessert.  I had the Agrumi Torta Al Miele E Polenta Sorbetto De Limone (Hand ground polenta cake with citrus custard cream served with lemon sorbet)  I would have paid the $15.00 for this dessert alone.  It was the best dessert of the whole cruise.   Otherwise, the meal was ok.

I believe that's the dessert I have a picture of on this visit. I needed someone else to type the name of it for me though 😂

https://saintgregtravel.com/christmas-magic-1st-sea-day/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1