Magic Carpet and fear of heights?

zitsky

I have not been on an Edge class ship.  But I wonder, for those of you with fear of heights, do you go on the Magic Carpet?  I'm not sure that I would.  I'm not always comfortable on the balcony but I book one anyway.

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

I would say it is similar to standing on the railing around the pool.   If that would bother you I would avoid.

I would say more like the balcony?  Pool wouldn't bother me at all.

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

I would say more like the balcony?  Pool wouldn't bother me at all.

I was thinking looking out over the sea on the pool deck vs looking at the pool.    Iain is afraid of heights and is not bothered by the Magic Carpet.

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was thinking looking out over the sea on the pool deck vs looking at the pool.    Iain is afraid of heights and is not bothered by the Magic Carpet.

Ok thanks for sharing that.

My husband who has a fear of heights wouldn't go on it at all.   He forbade me to get on it, but I did go on a couple times while out wandering the ship.   I felt out of sorts on it and heights don't bother me....but I didn't spend any real time out there.

Joe

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

I have not been on an Edge class ship.  But I wonder, for those of you with fear of heights, do you go on the Magic Carpet?  I'm not sure that I would.  I'm not always comfortable on the balcony but I book one anyway.

I’m scared of heights, but I’m doing it! I feel like it’s safe. I’m not rappelling or anything, so I should be okay. We will see once I’m there hahaha. 

26 minutes ago, mom says said:

Maybe go on it after dark, when you can't tell how high up you are? Sit at an inside table?

Maybe.  I will admit, it would be cool to be on it while it's moving.  I'd at least like to try that once, if it's permitted.  Or do they close it while it moves?

9 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Maybe.  I will admit, it would be cool to be on it while it's moving.  I'd at least like to try that once, if it's permitted.  Or do they close it while it moves?

No passengers while moving.

And except for being told that it is mobile and is attached to the side of the ship, you will not feel anything different from the rest of the ship. It doesn’t vibrate or creak or bounce. It’s the same as standing and seing a nearby railing, or walking around the running deck above the outside pool, that type of thing. 

Just don’t climb up and hang over the railing on the Magic Carpet, just as you wouldn’t in a Balcony SR or outside deck railing. 

to test your response to it, go onto it when its a bar. Stand at the bar and order a drink….if you feel funny, gulp your drink down and order another and do that until the feeling goes away…..Fixed your fears!!!

den

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Not unless they deploy “Secret Launch Mode” for a group of unruly passengers…😆

Remember when there were reports of passengers ‘organizing’ to complain about some perceived injustice and demanded to talk with the Capt or demanded changes/reimbursements during the cruise? 

On the E-Class, the Capt will call for those type of meetings on the Magic Carpet, while underway, and oops, the MC will suddenly slip down to the sub-deck 1 level there won’t be any more complaints…..well complainers! 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Haha 2

I've not had chance to see the Magic Carpet yet (our Apex cruise in May was canx), but I'm pretty sure I'd be okay. After all I like walking out on glass walkways such as CN Tower Toronto, the cliff walk at Capilano Suspension Bridge in Vancouver, and come to think of it, the suspension bridge itself - which sways and sways... I remember some people literally crawling on their hands and knees across the bridge, determined to cross it but terrified.

And yet, you won't get me on a big ride like a rollercoaster 🤷‍♀️

12 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Remember when there were reports of passengers ‘organizing’ to complain about some perceived injustice and demanded to talk with the Capt or demanded changes/reimbursements during the cruise? 

On the E-Class, the Capt will call for those type of meetings on the Magic Carpet, while underway, and oops, the MC will suddenly slip down to the sub-deck 1 level there won’t be any more complaints…..well complainers! 

Den

Modern day technology for Walking The Plank.  LOL!

• Haha 1

As Denny says, its rock steady and its so big you would'nt really know you were on anything other than any other deck apart from the orange and some great forward and aft views if you do go near the edge.  Its a very pleasant place to have a drink.

RX302522s - Copy.jpg

RX302524 copys - Copy.jpg

RX601019s - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JoePDX said:

My husband who has a fear of heights wouldn't go on it at all.   He forbade me to get on it, but I did go on a couple times while out wandering the ship.   I felt out of sorts on it and heights don't bother me....but I didn't spend any real time out there.

Joe

He forbade you? Well that's as good a reason as any to give it a try.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, JoePDX said:

Joe

34 minutes ago, Andrewgary said:

He forbade you? Well that's as good a reason as any to give it a try.

Ha! My spouse would give me That Very Cold Look  and make That Very Disapproving Noise! She would do it if she wanted, but would Not do it just because I forbid it;  she’d see herself being controlled by me and getting her to do it……ahh the head games we get into!

Two things I’ve learned (the hard way), 1 - when to say ‘Yes Dear’, and 2 - Never Ever tell her what to do or Not to do….let alone ‘forbid’. But I’m sure we all understand what Joe was getting across with the comment, the fear and concern of their spouse. 

Den

• Like 1