Do ocean view cabin windows open?

deek72

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

My bad, but your previous comments did leave the impression that you were planning to do just that. 😉 That being said, I apologize for assuming you were. Have a great evening! My wife and I are off on a road trip in a few minutes. Take care!

Thanks.  Be safe!

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Does the cruise line post signage in the balcony rooms advising against leaving the doors open?

Typically, yes.  There is usually a decal on the balcony door stating that leaving the door open shuts off the AC.

• Like 1

Yes we would sink if all those windows would be open.  I was on the Jewel for my very first cruise.  We had a porthole room on deck 5.  The waves on the way back to LA on a riveria cruise were very high for 2 days and every couple minutes the porthole would completely submerge.  I don't show that video to people I know who are unsure if they would like cruise or not lol.

Edited by WorkNCruise
Clarity

18 hours ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

Could you imagine the lower deck porthole rooms if the window opened? We'd sink quick.

When we first started cruising on ocean liners (not cruise ships), we have had crew come in our stateroom and bolt steel plates over our portholes during adverse weather to prevent water intrusion in the event the window blew out. There weren't really any "balcony rooms" back in the day. 

21 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

When we first started cruising on ocean liners (not cruise ships), we have had crew come in our stateroom and bolt steel plates over our portholes during adverse weather to prevent water intrusion in the event the window blew out. There weren't really any "balcony rooms" back in the day. 

Those are called "dead lights", generally of bronze, and NCL ships have them to this day for the ocean view cabins on the lowest deck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Those are called "dead lights", generally of bronze, and NCL ships have them to this day for the ocean view cabins on the lowest deck.

I remember seeing it sitting in the closet in our OV room on the Dream.

On 7/22/2021 at 1:58 AM, E@syPe@zy said:

You can not open ocean view windows.  And you can't leave your balcony door open all night either.  It causes problems with other cabins around yours in regards to the A.C.

You may consider bringing a small fan with you to move the air around in your state room.

Years ago on an Alaskan cruise the ship was going through some pretty rough seas and our ocean view windows were covered up with port hole covers until we were out of the rough ocean waves.  

I never heard of 'not being allowed' to leave balcony doors open at night. We left our doors open often; the only thing with that is that on the new ships the AC and heat will not turn on if the doors are open.

15 minutes ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

I never heard of 'not being allowed' to leave balcony doors open at night. We left our doors open often; the only thing with that is that on the new ships the AC and heat will not turn on if the doors are open.

Yeah, that sounds like a gaping hole in this issue.  How can people fault those "rude, inconsiderate" folks leaving their door open if there is absolutely nothing in the room that educates them as to the issue?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

Then you're in a wind tunnel that can be heard down the hall.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I had those last year on a cheapo Carnival cruise, they were pretty much bolted to the wall leaving the porthole window unblocked.

3 hours ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

This is correct, but it also affects the other AC system that is common to many cabins.  Been working on ship's HVAC systems for 46 years.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

This is correct, but it also affects the other AC system that is common to many cabins.  Been working on ship's HVAC systems for 46 years.

Have you suggested to your bosses that they might want to add something about that to the stickers?  You can hardly fault the cruisers if the only thing they are made aware of is that their room AC will shut off.  I'm guessing in many cases, it's cool outside and that's why they are leaving their balcony doors open.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, RumRunner2021 said:

Have you suggested to your bosses that they might want to add something about that to the stickers?  You can hardly fault the cruisers if the only thing they are made aware of is that their room AC will shut off.  I'm guessing in many cases, it's cool outside and that's why they are leaving their balcony doors open.

Sorry, no longer in the cruise industry, so balconies are no longer a concern on tankers.  But, no, mainly because it would either be too technical for people to understand, or they would merely ignore it anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Sorry, no longer in the cruise industry, so balconies are no longer a concern on tankers.  But, no, mainly because it would either be too technical for people to understand, or they would merely ignore it anyway.

Well that kind of hurts!  We have half a thread of dedicated cruisers here that apparently easily understand this and have committed to do their best to not inconvenience their valued fellow cruisers.  Are you suggesting that the folks here are too stupid to understand or too mean to comply?  That's not what I'm seeing.  😎  Or, are we just the smartest, kindest 10% of this world?  Could be....

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RumRunner2021 said:

Or, are we just the smartest, kindest 10% of this world?  Could be....

Just remember, that those on CC are a tiny minority of the cruising public.  Many here can understand, and want to do right, but I've also encountered the "its my vacation, I'll do what I want" types here as well.  It would need to be a large decal, taking up a good portion of the door, to give the full reasoning, and without that, many would ignore the warning, so its a risk/reward thing, where does the cost outweigh the benefit (increased compliance).  Most folks, when I find they've got their balcony door open, after picking up the wind tunnel trash, listen to the explanation, and understand the problem, but some will just not go along, and we get repeat calls.

• Like 3

On 7/22/2021 at 2:48 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

If I just book an inside, can I avoid all this drama?

ETA: why would I care what anybody on TV tells me to do?

That is Simon's "MO" AKA "schtick". That's all it is. He is not telling you what to do, He is saying "no" to the acts on "America's Got Talent" which is a talent show. It is all theatrics so don't think he is telling YOU what to do. LOL.

Edited by coffeebean

12 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Gee, it might be a good idea for the signage to state that balcony door are not to be left open because it effectes the HVAC system to many cabins on the same line. Maybe, just maybe, people will be considerate of others and keep their balcony doors closed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RumRunner2021 said:

Well that kind of hurts!  We have half a thread of dedicated cruisers here that apparently easily understand this and have committed to do their best to not inconvenience their valued fellow cruisers.  Are you suggesting that the folks here are too stupid to understand or too mean to comply?  That's not what I'm seeing.  😎  Or, are we just the smartest, kindest 10% of this world?  Could be....

The suggestion is that people will be people, it is just human nature for SOME to not follow the rules or have compassion for other's safety and/or comfort. Not everyone abides by rules and we all know that to be true. There is no surprise there. Having said that, I'm a rule abider and will never upset any apple cart.

On 7/22/2021 at 2:45 AM, deek72 said:

You answered my question in your first 7 words. Thanks. But this will be my 9th cruise (7 balconies, 1 inside) and have never had a problem or complaint about leaving the balcony door very slightly open. 

I suppose it depends how high you are 😁

It’s the commentary that really adds to the video and drives the footage home. Thanks for sharing. 

3 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Gee, it might be a good idea for the signage to state that balcony door are not to be left open because it effectes the HVAC system to many cabins on the same line. Maybe, just maybe, people will be considerate of others and keep their balcony doors closed.

A response to your suggested sign might look something like this:

What does HVAC mean? What is an HVAC system? Of course the cabins are all in a line. This sign looks exactly like all the other odd little technical signs I see all over the ship. I don't know what those mean, and I certainly don't know what this one means. Guess I'll ignore it like all the rest.

• Like 3