Semi-live from Millennium July 30th Alaska

iamaqt2

37 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm sure the OP will post but if you have the Celebrity App on you phone you can select the current sailing and see the daily on the app.   It is great for day dreaming.   You can also check out the daily menus.   

On the main screen that shows your reservations -  At the very bottom is Get More Details on Ships we support -   Select Millennium then the Sailing -   The current cruise is usually fully populated while other cruises may just have place holders.

Thank you for the tip, but looks like I might be too early as there is no information on activities,

20 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

The t-pools are only on the Millennium class ships. I think the Millennium is the only one sailing right now. 

Summit is also sailing from St. Maarten; she took over for Millie

1 hour ago, Fly and Sail said:

What does Covid have to do with this??? Bunch of BS!

While I'm disappointed it's not turned on, I do understand why they would as a Covid precaution.  The Solarium is a closed environment and the bubbles from the thalassotherapy pool aerosolize.  They could be a vehicle to help spread Covid germs if an infected cruiser happened to be in the pool.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, qoap24 said:

I will be on X for the first time in September, if it isn't too much trouble, would you mind posting a few pictures of the daily planner (not sure what it is called on X). I would like to have an idea of what types of activities they will have on board. Thank you

I'm so sorry I forgot to include those.. I'm just blissfully going along using the app, and completely forgot how much we all look forward to those, myself included 🙃🙃

I'll happily snap pics going forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

@Fly and Sail  Thanks for the GREAT photos of the sailaway and the ship. Has me longing to be onboard in three weeks time!

Even though I have the app, photos of the menu and activities are always appreciated as well. I was following Holland America's first ship that started Alaska itineraries last week alongside Millennium, the Nieuw Amsterdam. Her dinner menus make a poor showing alongside the choice that is offered on Celebrity.

Let's see so far I've been disappointed by the meat dishes that I ordered. All the beef that I wanted Medium-Rare came Medium-Well to well. Shoe sole dish. The Oceanview Cafe F&B also appears to be dished out with less love and care this time but I'm thankful that they kept the buffet. Only eating at Metropolitan wouldn't be my cup of tea at all as it' always a huge time waster.

• Like 1

Had a great day in Ketchikan.  Not doing any excursions as this is 4th time to Alaska, and just decided to enjoy the port.  The day started out overcast, but the sun soon burned off the clouds and we ended up with a fabulous day.. currently 67 and sunny.

As we left the ship, I stopped at the visitor center and picked up a shopping coupon book.(More on this in a bit)

Even though we live in Seattle where the seafood is plentiful, we decided to support the local economy by eating locally off the ship. 

So Halibut and King Crab were on the lunch menu.  I'm picky about my fried fish.  It has to be a beer batter.  Crumb breading is a hard no for me.  So after a short Yelp search to determine who had my "style" of fish we ended up at Ketchikan Crab and Grille.  I wait listed us through the Yelp app, and then walked on over.  Good thing, as the people in front of us in line were notified it would be a 30 minute wait.

The food was delicious, and there was a rowdy group seated next to us who were on the Carnival Miracle. They had just come from drinking Duck Farts at the Arctic Bar up the street. 🤭🤭😂😂

After lunch we wandered over to Creek Street. I really wanted to ride the funicular (tram) up to Cape Fox Lodge to see the totem poles, but it was out of service. We visited my husband's favorite t-shirt store. (sorry, never remember to get the name) He really loves Ray Troll artwork, so we had to get a couple of new shirts this stop. They had some new to us options that were pretty funny.

I finally cracked that coupon book, and wow.. there are steals and deals to be had.  2.99 for embroidered ball caps, 2.99 for an Ulu knife, 4.99 for t-shirts, and 4.88 for boxed smoked salmon.

This was all at Tongass Trading stores.

So of course I had to go pick up cheap souvenirs.

Now I'm back enjoying the fantastic weather on our balcony, and watching all the float planes returning for the day.  

20210801_135831.jpg

20210801_125009.jpg

20210801_131133.jpg

20210801135316_IMG_0856.JPG

20210801134934_IMG_0853.JPG

20210801_154628.jpg

20210801141349_IMG_0866.JPG

20210801_145547.jpg

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

Let's see so far I've been disappointed by the meat dishes that I ordered. All the beef that I wanted Medium-Rare came Medium-Well to well. Shoe sole dish. The Oceanview Cafe F&B also appears to be dished out with less love and care this time but I'm thankful that they kept the buffet. Only eating at Metropolitan wouldn't be my cup of tea at all as it' always a huge time waster.

My husband would agree with you on the meat.. it's all been overcooked. I told him to just start ordering it rare.

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

On the main screen that shows your reservations -  At the very bottom is Get More Details on Ships we support -   Select Millennium then the Sailing -   The current cruise is usually fully populated while other cruises may just have place holders.

My app doesn’t show “Get more details on ships we support”?

I've always had trouble in MDRs of most ships getting meat less than medium well without a lot of effort. I tend to save my steak/beef orders for the specialty restaurants.

@iamaqt2  Your lunches look great. Sounds like you had a satisfying day in Ketchikan. Thanks for the continued photos and updates. 👍

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Locobill49 said:

Yes, Aug 20.

When you open the app, the top middle has 3 icons.  Click the one on the right that looks like a circle over a broken rectangle.  Then directly.below the title/description  of your cruise is where it gives that option.

Screenshot_20210801-163907_Celebrity.jpg

IDK if this is still an option, but one of the best tips I ever learned about on Cruise Critic is to order the Child filet mignon. Just ask your waiter and you don’t have to be a kid to enjoy it. Delicious.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

While I'm disappointed it's not turned on, I do understand why they would as a Covid precaution.  The Solarium is a closed environment and the bubbles from the thalassotherapy pool aerosolize.  They could be a vehicle to help spread Covid germs if an infected cruiser happened to be in the pool.

🙄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

We were on a b2b for two weeks in June from St Maarten and dined in Luminae and THREE TIMES I ordered medium rare and got well done. I wanted to be like Gordon Ramsey and take the team into a huddle in the freezer…. haha. Seriously though, I’m not sure what the issue is with this. 

• Haha 1

Thank you, @iamaqt2 for this thread. We are looking forward to our Millenium cruise on September 17, and enjoying hearing about what's already happening onboard.

Perhaps you or someone else familiar with Seattle could tell me if we should walk the routes below, or if we should get a ride. We normally walk at least 5 miles a day, but not with luggage, and not in the city.

We will disembark the Millennium, then spend two nights at the Fairfield, then board the Majestic Princess. We generally pack pretty light: a carryon sized roller bag and a backpack each. 

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer helpful advice. 

Image.png

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I just looked on the Millennium for July 30 and can see all the activities and menus.   Curious if you chose that sailing.  

i chose daily planner day 2 and all activities 

Yes, when I changed to July 30th I was able to see the activities. Thank you for your help. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

.... We visited my husband's favorite t-shirt store. (sorry, never remember to get the name) He really loves Ray Troll artwork, so we had to get a couple of new shirts this stop. They had some new to us options that were pretty funny.

Dee

The gallery is Soho Coho and is located at #5 Creek Street.  One of my favorite Ketchikan shops.

5 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

20210801_125009.jpg

20210801_131133.jpg

20210801135316_IMG_0856.JPG

20210801134934_IMG_0853.JPG

20210801_154628.jpg

20210801141349_IMG_0866.JPG

20210801_145547.jpg

Edited by Northern Aurora
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Thank you, @iamaqt2 for this thread. We are looking forward to our Millenium cruise on September 17, and enjoying hearing about what's already happening onboard.

Perhaps you or someone else familiar with Seattle could tell me if we should walk the routes below, or if we should get a ride. We normally walk at least 5 miles a day, but not with luggage, and not in the city.

We will disembark the Millennium, then spend two nights at the Fairfield, then board the Majestic Princess. We generally pack pretty light: a carryon sized roller bag and a backpack each. 

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer helpful advice. 

Image.png

If you like to walk the City, then do it and have fun.  Pretty steep incline from Pier 66 to your hotel.

If you can handle a scooter or E-bike, that would be something I would do.  They are just sitting around on the street to grab and go. 

• Thanks 1

Today our port stop was Juneau.. unfortunately I was sidetracked by unexpected circumstances, so my only excursion involved a walk to the local drug store.  I did run across a Filipino food truck on the way back, and it was delicious.  The weather has been fantastic.  All my conversations with fellow cruisers this evening at dinner revolve around how great an experience they are having.  The ship is a dream, the passenger count is low, and the ports are not overrun by multiple cruise ships.

Here are some pics of the menus and dailies I snapped.  And I laughed when I got back from dinner tonight at the cost of the laundry bag.20210802_185317.thumb.jpg.877fb03f683045b719af0a87a5c9765d.jpg

20210802_184509.jpg

20210802_184441.jpg

20210802_185324.jpg

20210802_213201.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1