Mardi Gras 1st thoughts

jimbo5544

4 hours ago, cruisingbandmom said:

How was Emeril's?  Does anyone have a menu with prices?  I understand that this is not free like Cucina and Chibang.

Just to give you a general idea, I know that the breakfast items are 5.00, dessert is 4.00, some items are by the pound such as crawfish and the apps and entrees are between 3.00 and 12.00.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

And I know that they've been disappearing from the Steakhouse for years as well (I'll ALWAYS miss the Supper Clubs).

This is from 2013!!

IMG_20130329_184826-XL.jpg

I didn't want to miss Prime Rib Night in the MDR, so they brought one up! (Good for their food costs too 🙂  )

Tom

Gotta respect a man who brings his own jar of horseradish.  (Didn't think I'd pick up on that nuance Tom?)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'll be packing this trip too! 😄

Tom

If I recall you're not that much of a drinker, but if you do choose to imbibe, the Fortune Teller Bar looks great.  Just saw a menu posted on another thread.

https://cruisespotlight.com/carnival-cruise-line-drink-menus-and-pricing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

WOW!!! Thanks jimbo5544.....Great pictures.  We weren't getting on board the MG until 2023, but DW couldn't hold out until mid Jan 2022 on the Harmony, so we we able to rummage up a balcony the week after Thanksgiving.  Can't wait .  

Only bar seating for the Alchemy?  No overflow tables?  What about the much hoopla-ed Landing that  absconded with the old Havana space on Vista ships?  Does it look like it will become the new Lido pool area?  Or will people not catch on until later in the cruise?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

Only bar seating for the Alchemy?  No overflow tables?

If you look at the floor plan, or John Heald's video as he passed by the Alchemy Bar, you can see overflow seating opposite the walkway, overlooking the atrium.

(I'm pretty sure Mr. Heald has also done a video spotlighting the Alchemy Bar - he did a bunch of stuff like that late-last week, so now I need to go look for it...)

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

WOW!!! Thanks jimbo5544.....Great pictures.  We weren't getting on board the MG until 2023, but DW couldn't hold out until mid Jan 2022 on the Harmony, so we we able to rummage up a balcony the week after Thanksgiving.  Can't wait .  

Only bar seating for the Alchemy?  No overflow tables?  What about the much hoopla-ed Landing that  absconded with the old Havana space on Vista ships?  Does it look like it will become the new Lido pool area?  Or will people not catch on until later in the cruise?

There are overflow tables at Alchemy.  Alchemy is also almost twice the size as other ships and has 4 mixologists working.  The Fortune Teller Bar though looks like an awesome alternative place to imbibe in high end cocktails, all included on Cheers. https://cruisespotlight.com/carnival-cruise-line-drink-menus-and-pricing#fortune-teller  The Lido pool is very big and hopefully that is where all of the kids will be.  The best pool though is at Serenity.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

There are overflow tables at Alchemy.  Alchemy is also almost twice the size as other ships and has 4 mixologists working.  The Fortune Teller Bar though looks like an awesome alternative place to imbibe in high end cocktails, all included on Cheers. https://cruisespotlight.com/carnival-cruise-line-drink-menus-and-pricing#fortune-teller  The Lido pool is very big and hopefully that is where all of the kids will be.  The best pool though is at Serenity.

Good to know on the Alchemy.  Yes curious about Fortune Tellers as a place for the night cap.

And scouting around from places to hang if Serenity is full -because it looks like all the hoi polloi will gravitate there- since we're not Havana-ing . Hoping the munchkins don't discover the Landing. Or do and abandon the Lido.  

Your thoughts on these places?

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Good to know on the Alchemy.  Yes curious about Fortune Tellers as a place for the night cap.

And scouting around from places to hang if Serenity is full -because it looks like all the hoi polloi will gravitate there- since we're not Havana-ing . Hoping the munchkins don't discover the Landing. Or do and abandon the Lido.  

Your thoughts on these places?

Pool wise Carnival has both upped their game and also downed their game.  They upped it since there are 4 pools for adults to choose from.  My top choice of course will be Serenity (deck 18 fwd) second choice is the patio pool at summer landing (deck 8 aft), with the two large hot tubs adjacent on the starboard side.  Third choice is Tides pool (deck 16 aft), fourth choice is main Lido pool  (deck 16 midship), mainly because that is where the kids will be.  Carnival downed their game because they turned the Havana area into an afterthought with the postage sized pool they gave her on the MG.  It is half the size of the hot tub and a quarter of the size of the pool in Havana on the Vista Class ships.  There are also no hot tubs or tiki huts to soak your feet like the Vista ships have.  Carnival dropped the ball with this.

• Like 1

We are on her 10/2, can't wait!!! BTW, all the pix are awesome! The only thing we're waiting on is the exemption for GGD. I hope it gets approved as there are are 10 of us going and it would really suck if they had to cancel, as this has been booked since 10/19!

3 minutes ago, mss22859 said:

We are on her 10/2, can't wait!!! BTW, all the pix are awesome! The only thing we're waiting on is the exemption for GGD. I hope it gets approved as there are are 10 of us going and it would really suck if they had to cancel, as this has been booked since 10/19!

They approved some exemptions for 8/28 and 9/4 today so they moving along faster than they did for August.

1 hour ago, mss22859 said:

Best of luck with the exemption.   You do know that some cruisers are not finding out till less than a week before they sail whether they were granted an exemption or not.

On 8/1/2021 at 11:14 AM, princess76021 said:

thank you Jimbo5544!!!   you have taken me on another fantastic cruise ship!  

i probably will never get on the MartiGra my husband doesn't want to fly so unless it comes to Galveston i will never get on it 😪

so thanks again for bringing me along!!!

many hugs from texas

nicki

Road Trip???

4 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Road Trip???

i'm lucky i get him to drive from DFW to Galveston!!!   he hates flying and the 4 1/2 drive is about all he will do!!!  but if he wants me happy he drives and smiles!!  then we get on the ship and he is a happy camper.  

hugs from texas!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, princess76021 said:

i'm lucky i get him to drive from DFW to Galveston!!!   he hates flying and the 4 1/2 drive is about all he will do!!!  but if he wants me happy he drives and smiles!!  then we get on the ship and he is a happy camper.  

hugs from texas!!!

I tried lol  Thanks for the hugs but im social distancing alllll the way up in Alberta 🤣🤣 Just kiddin

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Well I'll be darned. This is almost a mutual admiration society. First I've seen so many people being nice to everybody else in 18 months. Please let it continue! 

It’s been about 4 years since our last cruise.

I’m hoping I can go in a hot tub (Mardi Gras 10/16 cruise) and have pleasant conversations with complete strangers without anyone getting political or mean spirited in any way.

I’m a moderate Democrat who had an interesting  give and take conversation in the pool on a ship with a former Secret Service agent and his wife and another couple from Kentucky all of whom were very conservative in their outlook in life and the political landscape.

But through all the banter there was lots of laughter and buying each other drinks. And always warm smiles and pleasant hellos when we would run into each other throughout the cruise.

I miss those days. Why can’t we remember the beauty of this great country is all the diversity and all the differing opinions and lifestyles.

And most of all why can’t we remember that there really is no us vs. them!! 
People need to lighten up and just enjoy life again. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Pool wise Carnival has both upped their game and also downed their game.  They upped it since there are 4 pools for adults to choose from.  My top choice of course will be Serenity (deck 18 fwd) second choice is the patio pool at summer landing (deck 8 aft), with the two large hot tubs adjacent on the starboard side.  Third choice is Tides pool (deck 16 aft), fourth choice is main Lido pool  (deck 16 midship), mainly because that is where the kids will be.  Carnival downed their game because they turned the Havana area into an afterthought with the postage sized pool they gave her on the MG.  It is half the size of the hot tub and a quarter of the size of the pool in Havana on the Vista Class ships.  There are also no hot tubs or tiki huts to soak your feet like the Vista ships have.  Carnival dropped the ball with this.

The CC first look review also mentioned The Landing as the best alternative for general use to the Lido pool, less crowded, less in the thick of everything, yet it has the Watering Hole bar and Pig and Anchor and Heroes Lounge right there for eatses and drinkses and soft serveses, so basically everything a person could need.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, princess76021 said:

hugs from texas!!!

He (and you) are lucky to be a half day drive from a port, so no flight needed. And as time goes on it seems Galveston is really a primary hub, getting more, bigger, and newer ships all the time. You're getting Allure of the Seas and Norwegian Prima next year. . . we haven't done NCL but it's their forthcoming game changer.  Not to mention the chance of one of these Excel class ships down the road.

If we were there we would DEFINITELY sail everything that goes out of that port.

• Like 1