Thank you Carnival for going the 95/5 route!

MrMarc

8 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I don't think the covid tests given can determine which you have. Positive results have to be sent to different labs for research under a microscope later to determine. It most cases, it is not worth the cost except for CDC decisions trying to identify what variant.

Thank you BoozinCroozin, I don't know what I was thinking.  I guess it was late at night and my brain was too tired to think.  LOL

13 minutes ago, deweytrader said:

My son and I both positive are currently quarantining in a hotel in Houston since we live in Connecticut.  My husband and daughter both negative are in quarantine in a separate room. My husband since vaccinated could fly home at any time however my daughter(9) unvaxxed needed needs to quarantine because she was a close exposure for min of 7 days . And needs to continue to test negative...

Sorry deweytrader about having to deal with all that.  I'm glad your symptoms and your son's are fairly minimal.  Best of luck and I hope you get to go home soon!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, deweytrader said:

My son and I both positive are currently quarantining in a hotel in Houston since we live in Connecticut.  My husband and daughter both negative are in quarantine in a separate room. My husband since vaccinated could fly home at any time however my daughter(9) unvaxxed needed needs to quarantine because she was a close exposure for min of 7 days . And needs to continue to test negative...

Dewey you must have got infected while on the ship. Did they test anyone you were associated with? At the table or the cabins near you etc? The wait staff or the cabin stewards?

19 minutes ago, deweytrader said:

Do you have any idea as to how long you have to stay at the hotel?   Did you have to tell them you were quarantining when you checked in?  Did Carnival help you find a hotel to quarantine in?   Please excuse all the questions but I want to know what happens when you are quarantined somewhere from home.  I am from Atlanta and would have to quarantine at a hotel if I tested positive.  Also does Carnival notify your airline if you test positive?

18 minutes ago, sailingships said:

Dewey you must have got infected while on the ship. Did they test anyone you were associated with? At the table or the cabins near you etc? The wait staff or the cabin stewards?

My kids were tested at 12:00 noon We were contacted via loudspeaker at 12:30 to come to medical center We were in the medical center from 12:30 to around 4:30 or 5:00 I cannot remember the exact time. no contact Tracing testing was done while we were in the medical center or we would have known about it. I asked Carnival if they did contact tracing and testing and they said that they did although they had a very small window to do in it on passengers.  obviously they would have more time to do it on their employees and I us sure hope they did.  I feel sorry for my room attendant he was so great!!

Edited by deweytrader
add word

1 minute ago, deweytrader said:

My kids were tested at 12:00 noon We were contacted via loudspeaker at 12:30 to come to medical center We were in the medical center from 12:30 to around 4:30 or 5:00 I cannot remember the exact time. no contact Tracing was done while we were in the medical center or we would have known about it. I asked Carnival if they did contact tracing and testing and they said that they did although they had a very small window to do in it on passengers.  obviously they would have more time to do it on their employees and I us sure hope they did.  I feel sorry for my room attendant he was so great!!

Where in Houston are you?  I live Southwest of Houston in Sugar Land.  If there is anything you need brought to you, although I know there are delivery services for everything already, and I can do it, I would be glad to.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, surfergirl15 said:

Do you have any idea as to how long you have to stay at the hotel?   Did you have to tell them you were quarantining when you checked in?  Did Carnival help you find a hotel to quarantine in?   Please excuse all the questions but I want to know what happens when you are quarantined somewhere from home.  I am from Atlanta and would have to quarantine at a hotel if I tested positive.  Also does Carnival notify your airline if you test positive?

from doing our own research my husband/daughter both negative need to quarantine for a minimum of 7 days as long as they continue to test negative.  My husband could fly home at any time since he is fully vaccinated but because my daughter is not is the reason for 7 days. My son and I are here for 10 to 14 days, We are hoping for 10 days depending on testing.  The only assistance Carnival gave us was a list of eight hotels to potentially contact, they did waive the phone call fees as well as give me free 24-hour internet.  ironically many of the phone numbers were not correct have we ended up finding the hotel on our own not via the list that we received. We were also responsible for our own transportation to our quarantine hotel I informed Carnival that most likely I would have to hire an ambulance they did not want an ambulance at the port and therefore did provide us with transportation to our hotel.  

3 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Where in Houston are you?  I live Southwest of Houston in Sugar Land.  If there is anything you need brought to you, although I know there are delivery services for everything already, and I can do it, I would be glad to.

We are right by NRG stadium I believe.  My husband being fully negative has been my lackey, thankfully he has to provide for me since my son is also here!!  Thank you for your offer very nice.

15 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I know of false rumors of some cases on my Horizon cruise. I know of at least one person on Horizon who was mad when they insisted on testing them when they went to the infirmary with symptoms that could have been covid. Carnival is perhaps guilty of not being more diligent in enforcing mask wearing by unvaxinated passengers. One obvious solution is make everyone wear masks indoors - no exceptions.

But still cruise lines are doing better than many expected, but not so good as to relax any restrictions. I think they are reporting to the CDC anything they are required to. The CDC can still shut them down.

It’s entirely up to you to choose whether information is “false” or not.  It is not coincidental that the Horizon and the Breeze are both coded yellow on CDC’s Cruise Ship Color Status page. You can read the definitions of the codes below the chart. 

Edited by SheSailsFL

1 minute ago, SheSailsFL said:

It’s entirely up to you to choose whether information is “false” or not.  It is not coincidental that the Horizon and the Breeze are both coded yellow on CDC’s Cruise Ship Color Status page. You can read the definitions of the codes below the chart. 

Every ship from every company that is sailing or approved for sailing beyond the test phase is yellow or orange, except Miracle, and I don't think they have had passengers on her yet.  The threshold is very low.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Even if that room service charge for a quarantined room service delivery is eventually lifted, the fact that they would even consider doing so is incredibly uncaring and thoughtless. And we do not know if it will be removed or not.

It's the kind of act that makes whoever is subject to it say to themselves, this is one cruise line I will never, never book again.

Nah, it’s just an error. Nothing more.

• Like 1

Just now, MrMarc said:

Every ship from every company that is sailing or approved for sailing beyond the test phase is yellow or orange, except Miracle, and I don't think they have had passengers on her yet.  The threshold is very low.

MrMarc could you please tell me what code yellow and orange mean?

2 minutes ago, surfergirl15 said:

MrMarc could you please tell me what code yellow and orange mean?

• Green status means the ship has no reports of cases of COVID-19 or COVID-19-like illness.
  • Orange status means the ship has reported cases of COVID-19 but is below the threshold for CDC investigation.
  • Yellow status means the ship has met the threshold for CDC investigation because the ship has met one of the following criteria:
    • at or above the investigation threshold for crew COVID-19 cases,
    • at or above the investigation threshold for passenger COVID-19 cases; or
    • state or local health department notified CDC of passenger COVID-19 cases occurring within 5 days of disembarkation.
  • Red status means the ship is at or above the threshold for passenger and crew COVID-19 cases. Based on CDC’s investigation, additional precautions, such as returning to port immediately or delaying the next voyage, will be taken if it is suspected that continuing normal operations may subject on board travelers or newly arriving travelers to disease.

Here is the page: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/crew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html  I would not worry unless it made it to red.  I think yellow and orange are going to be normal.

7 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Miracle departed 7/27 on her first Alaska cruise.

1 minute ago, MrMarc said:
  • Green status means the ship has no reports of cases of COVID-19 or COVID-19-like illness.
  • Orange status means the ship has reported cases of COVID-19 but is below the threshold for CDC investigation.
  • Yellow status means the ship has met the threshold for CDC investigation because the ship has met one of the following criteria:
    • state or local health department notified CDC of passenger COVID-19 cases occurring within 5 days of disembarkation.
  • Red status means the ship is at or above the threshold for passenger and crew COVID-19 cases. Based on CDC’s investigation, additional precautions, such as returning to port immediately or delaying the next voyage, will be taken if it is suspected that continuing normal operations may subject on board travelers or newly arriving travelers to disease.

Here is the page: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/crew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html  I would not worry unless it made it to red.  I think yellow and orange are going to be normal.

Thank you I am scheduled to go on the Breeze August 7.

7 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

I would see a ship with passengers showing green as a problem more than orange/yellow. Carnival (and all the other lines) *have* to report cases to the CDC, they are under 0 obligation to report them to us. I fully expect to see yellow/orange across the fleet for those that are actively sailing with passengers. 

If they are following CDC guidelines and going 95/5, and CDC is not mandating testing/masks for the vaccinated, why does everyone assume the sky is falling? Hell, there was someone in another thread that openly declared "we are mere hours from mandated masks" (paraphrased). Where is the source of that? Why are people seemingly believing it? What we have at this moment is working until it needs to change.

Edited by pogoism9
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, pogoism9 said:

I would see a ship with passengers showing green as a problem more than orange/yellow. Carnival (and all the other lines) *have* to report cases to the CDC, they are under 0 obligation to report them to us. I fully expect to see yellow/orange across the fleet for those that are actively sailing with passengers. 

it appears carnival is the only cruise line that is not informing their passengers about positive cases. if I was on a cruise ship I would want to know so that I could be tested when I got home and make necessary precautions.  My mother while vaccinated has underlying conditions that if I knew I was possibly exposed would not want to be around her.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, deweytrader said:

from doing our own research my husband/daughter both negative need to quarantine for a minimum of 7 days as long as they continue to test negative.  My husband could fly home at any time since he is fully vaccinated but because my daughter is not is the reason for 7 days. My son and I are here for 10 to 14 days, We are hoping for 10 days depending on testing.  The only assistance Carnival gave us was a list of eight hotels to potentially contact, they did waive the phone call fees as well as give me free 24-hour internet.  ironically many of the phone numbers were not correct have we ended up finding the hotel on our own not via the list that we received. We were also responsible for our own transportation to our quarantine hotel I informed Carnival that most likely I would have to hire an ambulance they did not want an ambulance at the port and therefore did provide us with transportation to our hotel.  

@deweytrader you should look at this thread of someone positive on Royal's Adventure of the Seas and how it was handled:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Even if that room service charge for a quarantined room service delivery is eventually lifted, the fact that they would even consider doing so is incredibly uncaring and thoughtless. And we do not know if it will be removed or not.

It's the kind of act that makes whoever is subject to it say to themselves, this is one cruise line I will never, never book again.

That's fine but they are all stumbling right now, so pick your poison.

7 minutes ago, pogoism9 said:

If they are following CDC guidelines and going 95/5, and CDC is not mandating testing/masks for the vaccinated, why does everyone assume the sky is falling? Hell, there was someone in another thread that openly declared "we are mere hours from mandated masks" (paraphrased). Where is the source of that? Why are people seemingly believing it? What we have at this moment is working until it needs to change.

Agree

4 minutes ago, deweytrader said:

it appears carnival is the only cruise line that is not informing their passengers about positive cases. if I was on a cruise ship I would want to know so that I could be tested when I got home and make necessary precautions.  My mother while vaccinated has underlying conditions that if I knew I was possibly exposed would not want to be around her.

I wouldn't necessarily want to know. I'm vaxxed, my whole family is vaxxed.  I already know the risk exists. A few isolated cases are not a major outbreak. In fact I think it is inevitable that several sailings will have a few cases.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

@deweytrader you should look at this thread of someone positive on Royal's Adventure of the Seas and how it was handled:

My experience on Carnival was nothing like this.  polar opposite.  I will quote the doctor in the medical center one more time "The last thing Carnival wants is this getting in the news"