Jump to content

New Covid Policy - Some of you will be forfeiting your $$$


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Coralc said:

We are in the cruise line cancellations today. Vision in Dec. Rhapsody in Feb. I am sad again. We may L&S one and take a refund on the other deposit and see if we can book something else. I really thought we were out of the woods on cancellations. :classic_sad:

I hope you an find something that works for you.  Good luck.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You misunderstand me. I am not only fully vaccinated but contracted Covid caring for my elderly in-laws.  Although my mother-in-law, husband and I recovered, my father-in-law did not.  Anything I can do to prevent its spread is my personal responsibility to do.  This includes trying to protect those don’t seem to want to do the most basic thing ie the shot, to protect them & theirs.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, tserface said:

I apologize if it sounded like I was going after you. You posted a hypothetical example where some gets tested then has aThanksgiving party. I just think responsible cruisers wouldn’t do that!

No, it was not hypothetical.  I fully expect to have my family over for Thanksgiving - there will probably be a few drop outs this year that have nothing to do with Covid, so the number will probably be closer to 15.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion concerning how people should behave after being vaccinated, but I am confident that I'm protected from serious illness and everyone else who is vaccinated should feel the same, so regardless of what I do for Thanksgiving, if we meet on a cruise we should both feel comfortable being around each other.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, poocher said:

You misunderstand me. I am not only fully vaccinated but contracted Covid caring for my elderly in-laws.  Although my mother-in-law, husband and I recovered, my father-in-law did not.  Anything I can do to prevent its spread is my personal responsibility to do.  This includes trying to protect those don’t seem to want to do the most basic thing ie the shot, to protect them & theirs.

I care about children under 12 who can't be vaccinated.  I care about the small number of people who for whatever reason can't get the vaccine, but I'll be darned if people who just won't get the shot are going to make me live my life with a mask and social distancing.

This group includes my son, his wife and their two kids and my stepdaughter's husband - all who had Covid last year and recovered.  My DIL, would probably get the shot in order to cruise, my son - maybe.  The kids might eventually be required to get vaccinated to go to school, but the stepdaughter and her husband will never, ever get vaccinated.  I have a friend who is an anti-vaxxer.

As sad as it is, there is no point in me or anyone else worrying about any of them or trying to protect them and honestly, they have no desire for anyone to do that.

 

Edited by mek
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, syesmar said:

This is a scenario that hasn’t been thought through by upper management. If they want to keep passengers cruising, they need to accommodate passengers like yourself and the OP who have multiple cruises booked. It makes sense to be able to schedule a test onboard one ship so you can board the next without an incredible amount of hassles. I would imagine if more passengers speak up about this, they’ll hopefully realize this is a need. Good luck!

Since the cruise was few months away I was hoping Royal would come up with a plan. I don’t have to worry now since my December cruise on the Radiance has been canceled. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, poocher said:

Well I will try anyway.  I understand you do not feel the same.

Whatever any of us decides to do, I hope we all can eventually get through this mess.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, vegascruiser1 said:

Since the cruise was few months away I was hoping Royal would come up with a plan. I don’t have to worry now since my December cruise on the Radiance has been canceled. 

Sorry to hear that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, masteradept said:

Luckily here in Singapore Royal is covering the cost of the pre-cruise tests, as is the other operating cruise line (Dream). Wonder why they wouldn't do the same elsewhere.

Same in UK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, mek said:

And it really is so unnecessary because it's possible to become positive after the test and still be able to board.  Total waste of my time and maybe $'s.

Have you read the two other threads on here about the first-hand account of one of the six who tested positive on the Adventure cruise last week?   Very detailed.  She and her husband were both vaccinated.  Both had pre-cruise rapid and PCR testing prior to cruising out of Bahamas.   And both tested positive, no symptoms, during routine testing done toward the end of their cruise.  So I agree -- the pre-cruise testing for vaccinated individuals seems pointless.  I guess they're trying to catch any who may be asymptomatic, and perhaps the 3-day prior to cruise testing might accomplish that, but even after testing negative you can still be exposed during pre-cruise travel, hotel, dinner, etc. just prior to getting on the ship.  I'm betting things change yet again before my November cruise.  I'm going to just sit and wait.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Sherri914 said:

Have you read the two other threads on here about the first-hand account of one of the six who tested positive on the Adventure cruise last week?   Very detailed.  She and her husband were both vaccinated.  Both had pre-cruise rapid and PCR testing prior to cruising out of Bahamas.   And both tested positive, no symptoms, during routine testing done toward the end of their cruise.  So I agree -- the pre-cruise testing for vaccinated individuals seems pointless.  I guess they're trying to catch any who may be asymptomatic, and perhaps the 3-day prior to cruise testing might accomplish that, but even after testing negative you can still be exposed during pre-cruise travel, hotel, dinner, etc. just prior to getting on the ship.  I'm betting things change yet again before my November cruise.  I'm going to just sit and wait.  

I did read it and it does kind of make my point about pre-cruise testing being somewhat pointless.  

 

I was just reading an article this morning that states the vaccinated seem to be more concerned about the DV than the unvaccinated and I would have to agree.  The unvaccinated people I personally know just aren't worrying about it, but I am happy to hear that people are reporting long lines for vaccination - just not seeing it around here at all.

 

At what point are the vaccinated going to realize they are protected from serious illness?????  Deaths and hospitalizations are not increasing anywhere near the rate of DV infections, yet once again there are hysterics from the news media. 

 

Breakthrough cases are at .08% - the vaccines never were 100% effective and  yet these cases are being blown all out of proportion and now the cruise lines are, IMO. overreacting.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, mek said:

No, it was not hypothetical.  I fully expect to have my family over for Thanksgiving - there will probably be a few drop outs this year that have nothing to do with Covid, so the number will probably be closer to 15.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion concerning how people should behave after being vaccinated, but I am confident that I'm protected from serious illness and everyone else who is vaccinated should feel the same, so regardless of what I do for Thanksgiving, if we meet on a cruise we should both feel comfortable being around each other.

So, why not get tested after the party.  Even vaccinated people can carry the virus and spread it to others.  Even though I am vaccinated and might not die, or even have symptoms, from COVID, I don't want to get it on a ship and have to go through quarantine and end my cruise early, etc.

The only fair way to do testing is to do it all at the port.  I think they should just figure it in the price.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, tserface said:

So, why not get tested after the party.  Even vaccinated people can carry the virus and spread it to others.  Even though I am vaccinated and might not die, or even have symptoms, from COVID, I don't want to get it on a ship and have to go through quarantine and end my cruise early, etc.

The only fair way to do testing is to do it all at the port.  I think they should just figure it in the price.

I agree that if the cruise line thinks testing is necessary, it should be made available at the pier.

 

Getting tested on Friday is really cutting it short -  we were considering leaving that day for Miami, but will probably fly down on Saturday.

 

Then again, I might just cancel this cruise and rebook for a later date because it's getting so complicated.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/2/2021 at 8:48 PM, soremekun said:

Selfishly, I hope this is resolved before my December cruise on Anthem.

Policies change so I hope this is changed by then.

I'm going on the same ship in November, I'll let you know.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, mek said:

I did read it and it does kind of make my point about pre-cruise testing being somewhat pointless.  

 

I was just reading an article this morning that states the vaccinated seem to be more concerned about the DV than the unvaccinated and I would have to agree.  The unvaccinated people I personally know just aren't worrying about it, but I am happy to hear that people are reporting long lines for vaccination - just not seeing it around here at all.

 

At what point are the vaccinated going to realize they are protected from serious illness?????  Deaths and hospitalizations are not increasing anywhere near the rate of DV infections, yet once again there are hysterics from the news media. 

 

Breakthrough cases are at .08% - the vaccines never were 100% effective and  yet these cases are being blown all out of proportion and now the cruise lines are, IMO. overreacting.

 

It was brought to my attention that I made a mistake, so I would like to correct my previous statement - breakthrough cases requiring hospitalization are at .08%.  While it's very possible that there are more cases than that, it's hard to determine because obviously not everyone with mild, cold-like symptoms or those  asymptomatic is being tested.

The fact still remains that the vaccines are working exactly as they should and within the original projected margins of efficacy. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/3/2021 at 6:30 AM, nelblu said:

You think that's bad.  I'm scheduled for Oasis Sept. 5 sail from Bayonne, but the test cruise wont end until August 28th.   It is still listed as a live cruise, but wondering how will all of the coordination be accomplished.

 

When will the next round of cancellations be announced.

 

We are scheduled for Oct 3rd out of Bayonne so hoping to hear your experiences as the leader out of Jersey on Oasis.

 

Honestly just recently booked had to pay in full, now wishing I had waited longer. Just so anxious to get to sea again but really hate this pre-test if fully vaccinated.

 

George in N

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/3/2021 at 11:12 AM, Willard23 said:

What's so special about 3 days for the rapid test? It is supposed to prove you have antibodies in your system. There will be no measurable difference between 3 days and several weeks. The PCR test shows if you have an active infection and of course time is of the essence. Why make us scramble and around for the rapid test at the last minute?

Because if you had the test 3 weeks before cruising , you may pick up the virus closer to sailing. 2-5 days after exposure is when most people have a positive test. BUT...I could pick it up on the plane or in the airport or at Target  and bring it aboard anyway . Nothing makes sense anymore.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok...I'm so confused...

 

We are sailing out of Bayonne, NJ on the Oasis on October 24.  We are vaccinated and have had 2 cruises cancelled in 2020.  Needless to say...we are super excited to go.  However, we are so unsure of everything, I have made reservations for Vegas as well.

 

Anyhoo...here are my questions:

 

1.  Should I just go to Vegas?

2.  Do I need to get a rapid test and be tested before embarking at the port?

3.  Are you tested during the cruise

4.  Does everyone have to be vaccinated before sailing out of NJ

 

If you think of a question I didn't ask.....please answer it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Nessa1dc said:

Ok...I'm so confused...

 

We are sailing out of Bayonne, NJ on the Oasis on October 24.  We are vaccinated and have had 2 cruises cancelled in 2020.  Needless to say...we are super excited to go.  However, we are so unsure of everything, I have made reservations for Vegas as well.

 

Anyhoo...here are my questions:

 

1.  Should I just go to Vegas?

2.  Do I need to get a rapid test and be tested before embarking at the port?

3.  Are you tested during the cruise

4.  Does everyone have to be vaccinated before sailing out of NJ

 

If you think of a question I didn't ask.....please answer it.

1. that is totally up to you,

2. yes you need a test within three days of embarkation, no you will not be tested at the port

3. you are only tested on board if you have symptoms or you were in close contact with someone else who tested positive.

4. I believe everyone over the age of 12 must be vaccinated to cruise from NJ.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Nessa1dc said:

Ok...I'm so confused...

 

We are sailing out of Bayonne, NJ on the Oasis on October 24. 

2.  Do I need to get a rapid test and be tested before embarking at the port?

 

That may not be confirmed till a few days out. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, forgotmyCCname said:

Because if you had the test 3 weeks before cruising , you may pick up the virus closer to sailing. 2-5 days after exposure is when most people have a positive test. BUT...I could pick it up on the plane or in the airport or at Target  and bring it aboard anyway . Nothing makes sense anymore.

 

I had a routine medical procedure on a Friday and was tested on a Monday - 4 days prior.  If that is good enough for the medical profession, it should be good enough for cruising.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Nessa1dc said:

Ok...I'm so confused...

 

We are sailing out of Bayonne, NJ on the Oasis on October 24.  We are vaccinated and have had 2 cruises cancelled in 2020.  Needless to say...we are super excited to go.  However, we are so unsure of everything, I have made reservations for Vegas as well.

 

Anyhoo...here are my questions:

 

1.  Should I just go to Vegas?

2.  Do I need to get a rapid test and be tested before embarking at the port?

3.  Are you tested during the cruise

4.  Does everyone have to be vaccinated before sailing out of NJ

 

If you think of a question I didn't ask.....please answer it.

My vote goes for door #1.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2021
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Enjoy the Gift of Travel with Regent Seven Seas Cruises
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...