The mask debate!!

Debde

Honestly, after having cruises cancelled in Summer 2020 and 2021 and now hoping to go in December 2021, I would wear just about anything to be able to have the privilege of enjoying a cruise again. A mask is a minor discomfort for 5 days of enjoyment. Just feeling blessed to have remained healthy and potentially having the opportunity to cruise again. 

• Like 6

I almost cancelled my cruise earlier this year when the CDC first announced masks would be required EVERYWHERE even outside on deck. I can handle a mask indoors since my time inside will be very limited.

This September will be my first vacation in close to 2 years. I'm looking forward to spending time outside on deck or on the beach of CocoCay. If the cruise gets cancelled then I'll be on a beach somewhere.

40 minutes ago, kilkoyne said:

I almost cancelled my cruise earlier this year when the CDC first announced masks would be required EVERYWHERE even outside on deck. I can handle a mask indoors since my time inside will be very limited.

This September will be my first vacation in close to 2 years. I'm looking forward to spending time outside on deck or on the beach of CocoCay. If the cruise gets cancelled then I'll be on a beach somewhere.

Oops, wrong island. 🤭

Looking forward to hopefully sailing on MSC soon. We just returned from Iceland where we did a 7 day cruise on VO and then did a 7 day driving trip into the Westfjords Region. Actually felt safer from the virus than our local stores. Strict testing and protocols meant no incidents where we traveled, but Iceland has slipped from Green status to Orange status last week to Red status by the ECDC this week! Even countries that have a high vaccination rate (71,5%)  have problems.

Ever since seeing the MSC Divina in Civitavecchia almost two years ago, i have wanted to sail on her! Came very close to booking an October 7-day cruise - but then the reality of Florida's COVID status is in the news  and the governor interfering. We'll wait a while longer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Looking forward to hopefully sailing on MSC soon. We just returned from Iceland where we did a 7 day cruise on VO and then did a 7 day driving trip into the Westfjords Region. Actually felt safer from the virus than our local stores. Strict testing and protocols meant no incidents where we traveled, but Iceland has slipped from Green status to Orange status last week to Red status by the ECDC this week! Even countries that have a high vaccination rate (71,5%)  have problems.

Ever since seeing the MSC Divina in Civitavecchia almost two years ago, i have wanted to sail on her! Came very close to booking an October 7-day cruise - but then the reality of Florida's COVID status is in the news  and the governor interfering. We'll wait a while longer.

Just don’t take a cruise out of Florida.   

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

Presently seated on my balcony/veranda on a cruise out of Port Everglades, Florida. No masks, fully vaccinated, wearing bracelet tracers. This is our second cruise out of Port Everglades. Our first was the second sailing of the Edge July 3, 2021. Our next is in 3 weeks on the Edge again followed by the Edge for a third time Oct 2021 (God-willing). Making up for 'lost' time. Best time to cruise, no lines, no lounge chair hogs, more attentive service staffers, no need for reservations and priority seating. Get the shots/jabs and join us !

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Best time to cruise, no lines, no lounge chair hogs, more attentive service staffers, no need for reservations and priority seating. Get the shots/jabs and join us !

Definitely,

you will never be able to cruise on such empty ships for such a low price.

Therefore i am absolutely willing to wear a mask indoors.(at least on the european cruises on the cruise lines that do accept unvaccinated passengers)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

This is exactly why I stated in my first post I have the option of sailing out of NY, in December and no mask required.

Stimulus money needs to stimulate whatever cruise line earns my money!!😜

The thought of flying down to Florida with the way the airlines have been, risking spending a lot of money to wear a mask and there is a possibility, since I have been vaccinated to test positive and have to fly my sorry a$$ home is not looking exciting.

I am enjoying reading every ones thoughts though. November/December is a while away. You are helping me decide though folks!! Jury is out still. Carry on!!😊

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Presently seated on my balcony/veranda on a cruise out of Port Everglades, Florida. No masks, fully vaccinated, wearing bracelet tracers. This is our second cruise out of Port Everglades. Our first was the second sailing of the Edge July 3, 2021. Our next is in 3 weeks on the Edge again followed by the Edge for a third time Oct 2021 (God-willing). Making up for 'lost' time. Best time to cruise, no lines, no lounge chair hogs, more attentive service staffers, no need for reservations and priority seating. Get the shots/jabs and join us !

Florida gets another penny from me when DeSantis starts doing his job and decides to stop working for testosterone tokens.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Debde said:

am enjoying reading every ones thoughts though. November/December is a while away. You are helping me decide though folks!! Jury is out still. Carry on!!

Yes, take the NY option. We live 1/2 hr drive from Port Everglades. Should we test positive we get a refund and no hotel and flights to worry about. With another cruise booked 4 weeks after that we should test negative and good to go. Now remember final payment  is due 90 days before sailing?

2 hours ago, Debde said:

This is exactly why I stated in my first post I have the option of sailing out of NY, in December and no mask required.

Stimulus money needs to stimulate whatever cruise line earns my money!!😜

The thought of flying down to Florida with the way the airlines have been, risking spending a lot of money to wear a mask and there is a possibility, since I have been vaccinated to test positive and have to fly my sorry a$$ home is not looking exciting.

I am enjoying reading every ones thoughts though. November/December is a while away. You are helping me decide though folks!! Jury is out still. Carry on!!😊

I absolutely understand where you're coming from. Not gonna lie, with cases spiking with the new variant, especially in Florida, I am starting to have some anxiety about our upcoming cruise on Meraviglia (mid-October). We're fully vaccinated and live in Chicago. We started masking up again in stores a few weeks ago. Not happy about it...the little break was nice...but we understand and have no problem with it. 

It's not the mask wearing on board that's a problem, we're happy to do that. It's the anxiety of a false positive, or being a-symptomatic and finding out we've got COVID at the pier. The fact that we're flying in 2 days before the cruise, into a US hot spot, is a concern. There's also the anxiety that the entire cruise industry might be forced to shut down again, canceling yet another vacation for us.

And even mid-October is a while away, and vaccines seem to be on the up rise, so that's a positive thing.

I'm even considering getting tested 72 hours before we sail, although we wouldn't have results until we were already in Florida, so that may be pointless. 

Rambling now, and probably broke all the CC rules about Covid posting. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jules815 said:

It's the anxiety of a false positive, or being a-symptomatic and finding out we've got COVID at the pier. The fact that we're flying in 2 days before the cruise, into a US hot spot, is a concern.

I completely understand and share your concern. I am scheduled on the Meraviglia at the end of September and the same thought crept into my thinking- "What if I am positive but asymptomatic when I arrive at the port?!" Part of my strategy is to isolate more in the weeks leading up to the cruise, and not exposing myself to risk any more than necessary. Even though I am fully vaccinated, I also plan to get tested the day before I leave home. I should have the results back before I head to the airport, and I would rather find out here than at the cruise port.

Another concern I have is the length of time since my vaccination. I got my first Moderna shot the day after Christmas. I am hoping boosters become a reality a couple of weeks before sailing. At the rate things are going, I believe that might be a realistic wish.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TnTom said:

I completely understand and share your concern. I am scheduled on the Meraviglia at the end of September and the same thought crept into my thinking- "What if I am positive but asymptomatic when I arrive at the port?!" Part of my strategy is to isolate more in the weeks leading up to the cruise, and not exposing myself to risk any more than necessary. Even though I am fully vaccinated, I also plan to get tested the day before I leave home. I should have the results back before I head to the airport, and I would rather find out here than at the cruise port.

Another concern I have is the length of time since my vaccination. I got my first Moderna shot the day after Christmas. I am hoping boosters become a reality a couple of weeks before sailing. At the rate things are going, I believe that might be a realistic wish.

We got our second Moderna shots in April. If they said I needed a booster shot today, I'd gladly roll up my sleeve. We definitely plan on isolating more before we fly to Miami.

The only people who know we're cruising are our daughters. This trip is going to be sort of under the radar social media wise. I don't want to hear the backlash and petri-dish comments from friends who would never cruise even under good circumstances, but had no problem traveling last summer to attend family weddings out of state. 🙄

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, jules815 said:

We got our second Moderna shots in April. If they said I needed a booster shot today, I'd gladly roll up my sleeve. We definitely plan on isolating more before we fly to Miami.

The only people who know we're cruising are our daughters. This trip is going to be sort of under the radar social media wise. I don't want to hear the backlash and petri-dish comments from friends who would never cruise even under good circumstances, but had no problem traveling last summer to attend family weddings out of state. 🙄

Jules,

What you have posted is exactly how we are feeling about our cruise. 

Nervous about testing positive at pier even though we are fully vaccinated. We are being super careful and will get test before flying for cruise.  

We still intend on doing the cruise just hope MSC gets all the kinks worked out .  If booster shots are offered, we will be first in line.

Wish Florida would get priorities straight...IMHO.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, jules815 said:

I absolutely understand where you're coming from. Not gonna lie, with cases spiking with the new variant, especially in Florida, I am starting to have some anxiety about our upcoming cruise on Meraviglia (mid-October). We're fully vaccinated and live in Chicago. We started masking up again in stores a few weeks ago. Not happy about it...the little break was nice...but we understand and have no problem with it. 

It's not the mask wearing on board that's a problem, we're happy to do that. It's the anxiety of a false positive, or being a-symptomatic and finding out we've got COVID at the pier. The fact that we're flying in 2 days before the cruise, into a US hot spot, is a concern. There's also the anxiety that the entire cruise industry might be forced to shut down again, canceling yet another vacation for us.

And even mid-October is a while away, and vaccines seem to be on the up rise, so that's a positive thing.

I'm even considering getting tested 72 hours before we sail, although we wouldn't have results until we were already in Florida, so that may be pointless. 

Rambling now, and probably broke all the CC rules about Covid posting. 

Luckily I have an N95 fitted mask from work that I'll be wearing on my plane trip to FL but I also have a concern also about testing a false positive.

If I do test positive at the pier I'll get a room in FL and vacation there. I'd still much rather be cruising but I need a vacation regardless.

21 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Morph...

What cruise are you on now? Allure?

On 8/6/2021 at 3:44 AM, sverigecruiser said:

We had a cruise booked for this summer but because the passengers had to wear a mask we changed it to next summer. If masks are still mandatory then we will cancel the cruise and loose our deposit.

I see no reason to spend lots of money on a vacation I won't enjoy so as long as masks are required I'm out.

I agree totally, Sverigecruiser.  Until masks are not required by passengers or crew members, and until there are no other protocols with which to comply, I will not book a cruise.  Cruising has been my preferred vacation in the past, but I am looking at other options for the foreseeable future.  Hopefully, there will be enough people willing to sail under any condition to keep the companies afloat until the situation is back to the pre-2019 situation.

• Like 2

Cruising without a mask at this moment is great, on a 95+% passengers, 100% vaccinated crew. Do not mind the pre-boarding testing. Got the rapid antigen test 48 hrs before sailing (paid the extra $$ out of pocket) With only 50% passenger capacity the service is above exceptional and the staff are so glad to be back at work. We have become one of the most avid cheerleaders of MSC YC of all the other cruise lines due in large part from the all of you. We started rather recently 2018 on your rave reviews. Yes, we have been cancelled by MSC at least 3x. We are still waiting for refunds on 3 and they have put a FCC on another. We have cancelled 3 more before final payment and transferred them to another cruise line sailing with 95%/100% vaccinated and NO masks. We have completed two so far and have 4 more planned for this year, all former MSC bookings. No worries, still booked on MSC for most on 2022.

• Like 1

So-I started this thread and have listened to everyone.

As for now, someone said something about 'jumping through hoops'. I think they hit the nail on the head for me.

I am vaccinated and:

1.-don't want to wear a mask

2.-have to spend lots of money via airfare and hotel to possibly be turned away.💸

3.-can not 'self quarantine' prior to cruising as owning your own business kind of puts the No in that. Also-don't really want to do that either as a vaccinated person. I got vaccinated so life could back to some what normal.

Maybe for me-it's too much aggravation and will have to put MSC on hold possibly. After all-it is my money and I can spend it when i'm ready. I miss cruising like all of us but just don't see the rush right now. Maybe all of us who live close to ports are supposed to be the proverbial 'guinea pigs' to see how this goes. I just love flying out of the NY cold to the warmth of Florida/NOLA in winter.

Morpheus-yup-the NY port is much less of a financial risk for me and I can Haven on NCL to Bermuda. I can even risk a last minute booking in hopes I'll get a price drop. I envy you being so close to the port in a warm weather state.

Might I add-I would be giving up my diamond status because I'm not ready yet to risk too much on a Florida sailing if I don't sail with them by early January.

I could also give some opinions on some of the Covid so called 'facts' posted here but i will stay with the CC community guidelines. 😉

still really prefer MSC though............😢