What is the draw of the Sunset Verandas

cgolf1

Our last cruise we booked a SV and were disappointed with the soot issue and if you have mobility issues the walk to the elevators is long.

As far as soot the balcony was really non useable because either the chairs had soot on them and when you sat down it was on your clothes or if you were standing there a flake would drop on your shirt. They had to clean a couple items for me. Plus the room attendant hosed off the balcony every day.

Views were nice though.

13 minutes ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Our last cruise we booked a SV and were disappointed with the soot issue and if you have mobility issues the walk to the elevators is long.

As far as soot the balcony was really non useable because either the chairs had soot on them and when you sat down it was on your clothes or if you were standing there a flake would drop on your shirt. They had to clean a couple items for me. Plus the room attendant hosed off the balcony every day.

Views were nice though.

Correct re soot but in 10 or more aft balconies, SS1, SV, or C1, only experienced soot a few times.  Attendant hosed down in early morning...but before then I always put one of 'their' towels on my chair...just in case.  The balcony was definitely usable.  And it always depended on the direction the 'wind blew'  if soot was even on the balcony.  Most of us know the walk back is long....allows for an extra danish with coffee...LOL.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

We have had two aft corner sky suites and loved them for all the reasons mentioned by others.  Since we keep track of miles walked we liked the added steps that naturally accumulate from walking the ship end to end.  We found that especially true on the Edge where the Retreat area is the opposite end of the ship.

Anyone who needs to avoid extra steps for whatever reason would need to consider carefully because it can be a long trek, especially if the ship is rocking, as someone mentioned.

That reminded me of a rocky walk in stiletto's I had one evening in somewhat rough weather.......wouldn't have mattered if it was a walk from aft or mid ship....I still would have wobbled and hung on to the 'bar' along the aisle.....AND, it was before dinner and drinks...somehow I walked better afterward...LOL.

16 hours ago, canderson said:

Must be a problem on S or E class.  I can't remember the layout. 

M class FV and other cabins in the stern aren't that far from the aft elevator bank.

Yes...M class has an extra elevator bank....S/E class could really use that incorporated into next generation...but that would take out cabins so probably not likely.

38 minutes ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Views were nice though.

Solution:  Don't wear white clothes out on the veranda.  Wear black...😀

Our attendants did a good job cleaning.  Long walk from the theater late at night after a long day...

The three most quoted cons seem to be soot, motion and distance from elevator. 

Soot used to be a problem, but since they installed scrubbers a few years back we've found this to be a non-issue. Yes, there are occasional flecks, but between the daily hose down and checking the chair before sitting down, our clothes remain clean and we simply don't worry about it.

Motion is a bit more, but the sea needs to be running very high to have an impact. DW is very prone to motion sickness and has never experienced a problem during our many SV (or similar on other lines) cruises.

The distance to the elevators is a plus for us. Those with mobility issues can have concerns, but the rest of us should take advantage of the extra calories burned!

One "plus" I haven't seen mentioned is the lack of foot traffic going by outside your cabin. Seldom do we hear people talking loudly as they walk back to their cabins late in the evening. It's like living at the end of a cul-de-sac, with far less vehicle traffic than neighbouring roads.  

• Like 4

We have never sailed in one but when we booked Equinox for a B2B the only two Suites left were S1 corner AFT cabins.    All of your pictures are very exciting to see and we are looking forward to the experience (unless we are able to grab a MoveUp).  

I'll come back in about a month and let you know our thoughts.

35 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We have never sailed in one but when we booked Equinox for a B2B the only two Suites left were S1 corner AFT cabins.    All of your pictures are very exciting to see and we are looking forward to the experience (unless we are able to grab a MoveUp).  

I'll come back in about a month and let you know our thoughts.

We love S1 and have little (or no) desire to move up to more space.  Some years ago we were in a Royal Caribbean suite (one with a piano, separate BR, and MANY pot lights... don't know the name).  It was lovely but we had no desire to book again. 

• Like 1

We did experience soot problems and solved that by getting many towels from the pool area, but we would do this anyway to pad the chairs 

The issues we did have were those that liked to congregate at the public decks above and carry on loud conversations at night when planning on  a nice peaceful evening gazing at the sky, wake, islands and ships in the sea. Another was those that liked to throw the dregs from their drinks over the railing or flip their cigarettes.   Smoking is allowed at the back of the ship on the port side but many drift over as no one polices them, the smoke wasn’t bad but to throw lighted cigarettes over the railing is dangerous and is the norm for most smokers.   I don’t know why they can’t make sure it is extinguished and put in a trash can.    A few years ago a horse trailer caught on fire and it was confirmed that the driver threw out a lite cigarette. All the horses perished.

For whatever  reason many find it entertaining to toss the dregs of their drinks over the railing or cigarette butts. .  I have been hit many times by ice cubes, limes, liquids and etc.  

Some ships have a little fishtail motion that may get nauseous but I think it is more due to the drink pack 🤮😜

Still the pros rule over the cons.   Afts are nice 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

We did experience soot problems and solved that by getting many towels from the pool area, but we would do this anyway to pad the chairs and don’t walk bare footed on the balcony 

The issues we did have were those that liked to congregate at the public decks above and carry on loud conversations at night when planning on  a nice peaceful evening gazing at the sky, wake, islands and ships in the sea. 

Another was those that liked to throw the dregs from their drinks over the railing or flip their cigarettes.   This happens all day and night as people without a aft cabin like to stand there looking at the wake, or scenery leaving a port.  For whatever  reason many find it entertaining to toss the dregs of their drinks over the railing or cigarette butts.  I have been hit many times by ice cubes, limes, liquids and etc.  

Smoking is allowed at the back of the ship on the port side but many drift over as no one polices them, the smoke wasn’t bad but to throw lighted cigarettes over the railing is dangerous and is the norm for most smokers.   I don’t know why they can’t make sure it is extinguished and put in a trash can.    A few years ago a horse trailer caught on fire and it was confirmed that the driver threw out a lighted cigarette. All the horses perished.

Some ships have a little fishtail or vibration motion that may get nauseous but I think it is more due to the drink pack 🤮😜

Still the pros rule over the cons.   Afts are nice 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Had an SV on the Edge in March 2020 and will have it again on Panama Canal on the Edge in March 2023 (both on 11th floor)

We love the SV for the view and the space and the fact it’s a real balcony (versus the Infinite Balcony)

Never once did we experience soot or motion and we didn’t mind the walk from the elevator (made it seem more secluded)

F8EDF413-DC96-406E-9523-D828B8157B87.jpeg

B2186546-26D0-47F0-AA95-30DD9C547187.jpeg

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth

23 minutes ago, Atocha Shipwreck Gal said:

I do not book a cabin if there are no afts available as those cabins with a wake view are simply the best. 

We've also chosen itineraries based upon availability of M class FV cabins.  There used to a large group here who were referred to as 'aft rats'.  One cruise, we had more than 2/3 of every stern cabin booked.

Had my first SV on board Silhouette for TA in 2019- my last TA before the pandemic shok up the world.

I loved it- and will always try to get one when booking a X cruise.

Yes the walk is a long one- and quite a way. Yes there is a slight soot problem - anyway- sailing on the Edge Class there is no other cabin - aside from a suite- i would book. I can´t stand those Infinite balcony´s!

It is definitely a “horses for courses” question. We have had several cruises in a Millennium class FV with the huge “flying” balconies and nothing else compares (unless you are in one of the larger suites). However, the corner S1 (and possibly all aft cabins) on Solstice class have very little privacy and zero shade so will be unbearably hot on Warm weather cruises. We had little or no soot on M class but it was a real, daily nuisance on S class. 

A75FDBDA-0DEC-4B9B-BAF1-1762F2120FF4.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 5:45 PM, jelayne said:

On E class ships only the Sunset Verandas  & Suites have a true balcony.

The other attraction of a SV is the view of the wake.

Can you please explain what you consider a "true balcony" on the E class as opposed to others?

12 minutes ago, sippican said:

Can you please explain what you consider a "true balcony" on the E class as opposed to others

I think the poster is referring to the Infinity (glass window) balconies on E class.  Aft SV has the S class style of open balcony...and suites as well.  We booked SV on Edge because it is an open balcony.

image.png.a85e38ad1a4ce40e2d938a69c2d06735.png

4 hours ago, Definitas said:

A75FDBDA-0DEC-4B9B-BAF1-1762F2120FF4.jpeg

That's a view we've had the opportunity to enjoy many times over the years.  USED to be the best--square-feet-for-the-buck on an M Class ship.  Would have never have traded it for a SS.  But no more.  (sigh)