Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

17 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

There is a selection for “SD or MDR” when you go to “add reservation” for a particular date/time that is why I was asking them to try it.  I have used the SD choice to book crown grill which overrides my night at reserve, but haven’t tried the MDR choice since I don’t have others to dine with.  It’s worth a try to see if it works.

When I have hit MDR it tells me that it is not an option for Reserve dining

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, memoak said:

When I have hit MDR it tells me that it is not an option for Reserve dining

Hmmm…mine didn’t, it took the date/time and MDR (dining type) and asked me to “save” (of course I didn’t). Did yours tell you it wasn’t an option after that step?

Edited by t&atravel

24 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

Hmmm…mine didn’t, it took the date/time and MDR (dining type) and asked me to “save” (of course I didn’t). Did yours tell you it wasn’t an option after that step?

It immediately told me it was not an option for reserve dining suites

1 hour ago, t&atravel said:

that is why I was asking them to try it

Selecting "Main" just brings up the "No Reservations Necessary" message. If "Specialty" is selected you may choose between restaurants and then add people to the reservation.

Thank you to everyone who helped find an answer to this little frustration. The best solution for us is to do what Steelers36 suggested.

On 5/7/2024 at 11:56 AM, Steelers36 said:

Have your children make the group dining reservation. 

🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone, please can I ask how the medallion system works when buying drinks outside your package? We are booked on plus but are likely to want to top up for the nice wines (We have 2 young children not worth it to spend the money on premier plus as we were told everyone had to have same package). Do we just hand the medallion over as normal and then get a bill at the end of our cruise for non inclusive items? Or do we put it on a card? I’m sure this is a stupid question which I’m sorry for, we are completely new to cruising! Wondering about getting revolut if we have to card stuff as it’s all in dollars.

It is Sky Princess if that matters.

1 hour ago, Rorolopollo said:

Hi everyone, please can I ask how the medallion system works when buying drinks outside your package? We are booked on plus but are likely to want to top up for the nice wines (We have 2 young children not worth it to spend the money on premier plus as we were told everyone had to have same package). Do we just hand the medallion over as normal and then get a bill at the end of our cruise for non inclusive items? Or do we put it on a card? I’m sure this is a stupid question which I’m sorry for, we are completely new to cruising! Wondering about getting revolut if we have to card stuff as it’s all in dollars.

It is Sky Princess if that matters.

Everyone does NOT have to get the same package. The first two passengers in a stateroom have to get the same package. If you book four in the same stateroom with the adults as the first two passengers, then the two adults can get Plus or Premier with the children not getting a package.

You purchase all drinks the same way with the medallion. You don't have to hand the medallion over - they can see it on their devices. If a drink is not included, it is charged with a 18% service fee. If a drink is more than the package limit, then the difference is charged with the service fee.

Do NOT wait until the end of the cruise to look at your statement. You can look at your statement at any time on your app, by printing it out a kiosk next to Guest Services, or by asking at Guest Services. They sometimes make mistakes, and it is a lot easier to fix them onboard than waiting until the end of the cruise.

Each passenger can only look at their own charges. However, if you all register the same credit card, then the owner of the credit card can look at everyone's charges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NavyVeteran said:

Everyone does NOT have to get the same package. The first two passengers in a stateroom have to get the same package. If you book four in the same stateroom with the adults as the first two passengers, then the two adults can get Plus or Premier with the children not getting a package.

You purchase all drinks the same way with the medallion. You don't have to hand the medallion over - they can see it on their devices. If a drink is not included, it is charged with a 18% service fee. If a drink is more than the package limit, then the difference is charged with the service fee.

Do NOT wait until the end of the cruise to look at your statement. You can look at your statement at any time on your app, by printing it out a kiosk next to Guest Services, or by asking at Guest Services. They sometimes make mistakes, and it is a lot easier to fix them onboard than waiting until the end of the cruise.

Each passenger can only look at their own charges. However, if you all register the same credit card, then the owner of the credit card can look at everyone's charges.

That’s really helpful thank you - I will ring Princess then because it was a travel agent who said we all needed to have the same! Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

1 hour ago, Rorolopollo said:

That’s really helpful thank you - I will ring Princess then because it was a travel agent who said we all needed to have the same! Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

If you booked with a travel agent, you may not get very far talking directly with Princess. You may need to make the change with the travel agent.

Alternatively, you can probably upgrade from Plus to Premier onboard. A few people have reported upgrades to Premier not being available on board because they sold out the number available, but most people are able to upgrade onboard with no problems.

Just booked February on the Majestic.  Have a mini suite with plus package.  Trying to book main dining but no reservations found.  Is this usual?  Only 2nd time in 12 years or so on Princess.  

Tried to book Honolulu accessible tour, but all booked up. I’m wondering if they’ll have a waiting list for this tour. Anybody experienced this and heard of a waiting list on some tours that sell out. 

6 minutes ago, Scotmay said:

Tried to book Honolulu accessible tour, but all booked up. I’m wondering if they’ll have a waiting list for this tour. Anybody experienced this and heard of a waiting list on some tours that sell out. 

You may consider another thread to post your question. This thread is specific to DMW and all new dining questions.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

Just booked February on the Majestic.  Have a mini suite with plus package.  Trying to book main dining but no reservations found.  Is this usual?  Only 2nd time in 12 years or so on Princess.  

I haven't experienced that. We've got a cruise booked for October 2025 and I made our dining reservations for DMW the same day(9 April 2024). On 15 April I received an Email from Princess those reservations will be deleted by 17 June due to the new MDR schedules. Starting with voyages departing September 14, 2024, Princess will designate separate dining rooms aboard every ship in the fleet to three table service options: Traditional dining offering an early and a late seating every evening, reservable dining times, and open seating to support walk-ins anytime. I'll rebook DMW at that time. Maybe what you are experiencing is due to the upcoming change (?). 

Edited by doghog

26 minutes ago, doghog said:

I haven't experienced that. We've got a cruise booked for October 2025 and I made our dining reservations for DMW the same day(9 April 2024). On 15 April I received an Email from Princess those reservations will be deleted by 17 June due to the new MDR schedules. Starting with voyages departing September 14, 2024, Princess will designate separate dining rooms aboard every ship in the fleet to three table service options: Traditional dining offering an early and a late seating every evening, reservable dining times, and open seating to support walk-ins anytime. I'll rebook DMW at that time. Maybe what you are experiencing is due to the upcoming change (?). 

Thanks for the info.  Will try later on. Kind of odd that nothing was available.

4 hours ago, gfkcruiser said:

Did you do just a mini-suite or did you do reserve? Reserve has no wait to speak of. Being in a mini should also put you ahead of standard diners.If you get nowhere, upon booking go to the MDR you are assigned to & meet with the Maitre D. He/She should be able to accommodate your choices. Please tip about $20 for their service.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Did you do just a mini-suite or did you do reserve? Reserve has no wait to speak of. Being in a mini should also put you ahead of standard diners.If you get nowhere, upon booking go to the MDR you are assigned to & meet with the Maitre D. He/She should be able to accommodate your choices. Please tip about $20 for their service.

No reserve.  

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

Being in a mini should also put you ahead of standard diners.

A mini-suite does not have any dining priority. Everyone in inside, oceanview, balcony, and mini-suite is treated the same. Only a Reserve Class mini-suite or a full suite has any advantages in arranging dining.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

A mini-suite does not have any dining priority. Everyone in inside, oceanview, balcony, and mini-suite is treated the same. Only a Reserve Class mini-suite or a full suite has any advantages in arranging dining.

You are correct. It is either Reserve or not. No special priority for minus over others 

On 5/11/2024 at 10:59 AM, doghog said:

Princess will designate separate dining rooms aboard every ship in the fleet to three table service options: Traditional dining offering an early and a late seating every evening, reservable dining times, and open seating to support walk-ins anytime. 

Just thinking aloud, this set up should also remove complaint about Traditional Diners deciding to join the walk-in group.

8 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Just thinking aloud, this set up should also remove complaint about Traditional Diners deciding to join the walk-in group.

One hopes, but I'm sure there will still be confusion about which dining room is which and who belongs where.  After the dust settles on this new scheme, I might come back to see how I like it.

On 5/11/2024 at 10:50 AM, doghog said:

You may consider another thread to post your question. This thread is specific to DMW and all new dining questions.

OOPS!!!

• Like 1

Will be on Sky soon, not been on Princess for years.  Could someone please advise about wine in the MDR?  If we order a glass of wine on the medalian, do the waiters refill glasses or do we have to order again on the medalian? Thanks in advance

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, dronnygirl said:

Will be on Sky soon, not been on Princess for years.  Could someone please advise about wine in the MDR?  If we order a glass of wine on the medalian, do the waiters refill glasses or do we have to order again on the medalian? Thanks in advance

The wait staff refilled our glass either by them asking or us requesting. They don't carry a bottle and pour. At least our dining staff didn't. 11 day March 2024 Enchanted cruise in the Amalfi MDR. 

Edited by doghog

37 minutes ago, dronnygirl said:

We never order in the MDR through the app. Just tell the waiter what you want and we have always had it delivered immediately. 

2 hours ago, dronnygirl said:

1 hour ago, memoak said:

We never order in the MDR through the app. Just tell the waiter what you want and we have always had it delivered immediately. 

You are not allowed to order food or drink from the app while in the MDR. You order from your waiter.

3 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

You are not allowed to order food or drink from the app while in the MDR. You order from your waiter.

I recommend stopping at a bar on the way to dinner and getting a glass to go.  We do that and then order a second glass from the waiter after we are seated.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1