Price drop refund

dogboy

4 minutes ago, dogboy said:

Hypothetically speaking is refund given if price of cruise goes down. Thank you

No. You have to cancel and rebook at the lower price. But... 

-You can't do that after final payment. 

-You can't carry over any of the promos you had on the old booking if they aren't running on the new booking. 

No. At least not after final payment. Typically what happens is you are given an option to pay the difference to upgrade to a higher cabin type. If the price drop is significant, you may be offered to upgrade to a higher cabin type for free. Alternatively, you are usually offered 25% of the price drop as onboard credit. Once, we were offered 50% of the price drop as future cruise credit.

Note that this is a one shot deal. If the price drops and you call to take advantage of one of these forms of compensation, then the price drops AGAIN, you will not be offered additional compensation.

11 minutes ago, Shellbelle28 said:

No. You have to cancel and rebook at the lower price. But... 

-You can't do that after final payment. 

-You can't carry over any of the promos you had on the old booking if they aren't running on the new booking. 

Thank you 

11 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

No. At least not after final payment. Typically what happens is you are given an option to pay the difference to upgrade to a higher cabin type. If the price drop is significant, you may be offered to upgrade to a higher cabin type for free. Alternatively, you are usually offered 25% of the price drop as onboard credit. Once, we were offered 50% of the price drop as future cruise credit.

Note that this is a one shot deal. If the price drops and you call to take advantage of one of these forms of compensation, then the price drops AGAIN, you will not be offered additional compensation.

Thank you Jamie. That sounds fair enough from NCL

3 minutes ago, dogboy said:

Thank you Jamie. That sounds fair enough from NCL

I always thought so. It's not like when they raise the price after final payment (which happens plenty), they call me up expecting me to pay the higher price, so why should I expect a lower price if they drop the price after final payment?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I always thought so. It's not like when they raise the price after final payment (which happens plenty), they call me up expecting me to pay the higher price, so why should I expect a lower price if they drop the price after final payment?

I agree but you'd be surprised how many people want to have it both ways. I think it's pretty fair of them, too.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I agree but you'd be surprised how many people want to have it both ways. I think it's pretty fair of them, too.

55 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I always thought it was funny when people start bitching about a price drop. They paid X amount and now its a lower price and they want a refund. Would they want NCL to send them a bill if the cruise price is now more?

I booked my Joy sailing for 1/15/22 on June 16 and the price has dropped 3 times since then. Each time I emailed my pcc and she immediately redid my reservation at the lower price.

I'm actually paying less now than I did for my Encore sailing in January 2020.

Of course this was all before final payment and the perks haven't changed either.

I randomly check pricing every week or two just for this reason up until final payment. It's something I've done for years and have gotten some good savings along the way.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, wally4ever said:

I have a cruise scheduled for December, and when the price dropped, the online consultant was able to give me a $320 refund.

I assume that was before final payment, since final payment on a December sailing wouldn't be until October....

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

I always thought it was funny when people start bitching about a price drop. They paid X amount and now its a lower price and they want a refund. Would they want NCL to send them a bill if the cruise price is now more?

Haha, exactly.

I never had to cancel and rebook. I just got the lower price.  But I book directly with NCL. Travel agents probably have to cancel the existing reservation and book for the lower fare.

See...one more reason to book directly with the cruise line  😆

• Like 4

Just now, david_sobe said:

I never had to cancel and rebook. I just got the lower price.  But I book directly with NCL. Travel agents probably have to cancel the existing reservation and book for the lower fare.

I use a TA and gotten price drops without having to cancel and rebook. Last one was earlier this week for $200 0n a 21 night cruise on the Encore for April 2022. Obviously it was before final payment was due.

• Like 1

Someone in our October cruise said after final payment they were only offered FCC of 25% of the price drop instead of OBC. Maybe a new model to incentivize future cruises and/or effectively hold on to the money longer. 

6 minutes ago, psac said:

Someone in our October cruise said after final payment they were only offered FCC of 25% of the price drop instead of OBC. Maybe a new model to incentivize future cruises and/or effectively hold on to the money longer. 

I haven't tried to get any compensation for the price drop on my October sailing yet.... price keeps dropping, so I am holding off a bit. Will report back after.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

If you have an existing reservation, they will normally keep the reservation # and cabin but "rebook" with the new price and current promos.  Same process whether or not it is directly with NCL or a TA.  A TA has a direct line to  NCL who makes the changes for them.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Why would that be a reason to book direct?  

Find a TA that discounts.  If your TA always ten percent discount/rebate, you've probably received a bigger price reduction than any price drop. 

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Why would that be a reason to book direct?  

Find a TA that discounts.  If your TA always ten percent discount/rebate, you've probably received a bigger price reduction than any price drop. 

It's not.  And why not get both?

1 minute ago, complawyer said:

the price on our cabin dropped twice within a.few weeks as it was still about 2 months until final payment was due, the payment was reduced by the amount of the drop. i saved almost $2,000 between my wife and myself. 

Congratulations, that's quite the savings! 😃

I could have you confused with another poster with a similar user name, but didn't you say you were thinking of cancelling because of the uncertainty of your cruise actually going ahead? Again, apologies if I've gotten you mixed up with someone else. I thought maybe you were unsure about your cruise.

3 hours ago, RumRunner2021 said:

It's not.  And why not get both?

Good question.  

First, I get a 'price drop' when I book since my TA discounts the cruise line fare (as published on their website) by 8-10%.

Second, if there is a reduction in the published cruise line fare, I can call the TA and she will recalculate the fare.  So, I do get both.  Or three or however many drops there are.

For example:

Suppose the cruise line website lists the price of a cruise as $1000. (Nothing particular about that number it's just an easy number to work with.

My TA would book that cruise for me at $900.  (0.9*$1000).

Suppose a price drop happens (my TA doesn't impose a time limit, she will recalculate any time, any number of times prior to Final) and the new published fare is $900 (a $100 drop).  My TA would then recalculate the fare as $810 (0.9*$900).

In any event, I'm beating the cruise line fare by 10%.

I've booked Carnival, Royal, Norwegian, Princess, Celebrity and Holland with the same TA and it's always the same.

BTW, there is another reason for using a TA rather than booking direct.  Here's an example.  I had a Princess cruise and a Celebrity cruises booked both with this TA.  I needed to change the bookings, one to Royal and one to Holland.  (long story, I don't do this often) If I had booked these cruise directly, I would have to call four cruise lines and spend 'who knows how much time' on hold.  All I had to do was place one call to my TA. She cancelled the Princes and the Celebrity cruises and booked the two cruises on Royal and Holland.  Took less than 10 minutes and, yes, I received her discount on  the two cruises.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Congratulations, that's quite the savings! 😃

I could have you confused with another poster with a similar user name, but didn't you say you were thinking of cancelling because of the uncertainty of your cruise actually going ahead? Again, apologies if I've gotten you mixed up with someone else. I thought maybe you were unsure about your cruise.

no, its probably me youre referring to. we're booked on the getaway nov24th from athens to rome. the state dept has just issued a "do not travel " to athens. the ports i was most interested in were the 2 in israel. at this time, israel isnt letting anyone into the country. while its still 3 months way, i dont want to find myself in a position where i cant get into greece, and i wouldnt have booked this cruise if not for israel,  so, i'll probably play it safe and cancel. 

all is not lost, however, almost the same itinerary april 2022, but only 9 days and athens to athens not athens to rome

I feel a bit of a dope as we booked a Getaway cruise in November a while back, and used cruise credits of $450 and a 10% discount for a cancelled cruise.  Now the price is pretty much what we got it down to after the above.  But we are in Ireland, and there aren't options to re-price pre final payment as far as I know, and we don't think the FCC will be refunded if we try to rebook.  Anyway, if anybody from UK/Ire knows differently let me know.  Thanks.

We booked our first cruise which embarks onSept 25th. (Alaska-Encore) directly from NCL.

We have a Club Balcony Suite with "larger" balcony, and I think we will be very happy with that.

Being first time cruisers, we had no idea that there can be advantages to not paying in full at the time of booking, and thats what we did.  (Obviously we had not "discovered" Cruisecritic and these helpful forums when we booked our cruise early last month)   We don't want to cancel and start all over...But lesson learned!  We are quite sure we are going to enjoy cruising so we'll know better the next time. Since booking our cruise, we've talked to several friends who are considering first time cruises, and have to told them that no matter how they book, to read these forums first!