Move-Up Categories/Increments?

D C

How big/small are the category increments for Move Up offers?  Are they small steps within a category (veranda) or only steps between categories (veranda to concierge to aqua to suite...)?

We're hopeful for one on our March Edge cruise as we don't care for the Infinite Veranda rooms, but don't want Concierge or Aqua for the same reason.  A sunset veranda would be quite nice though.  Is that even an option?  Heck, we'd take a "porthole-balcony" if it we could.  Do they take write-in votes? 🙂

Do we get our hopes up for small steps?

Thanks!
Dave

I think the prices are pretty significant. On our recent Edge cruise to move past the entry level bids it would have been roughly the same price just to book the category outright. Especially if you're jumping from non-suite to suite, it didn't make sense to use Move Up. 

You do have to move category to category. I've never seen moves within a subcategory (i.e. E1 to SV). With the popularity of SV's on Edge class ships, unless you book an SV from the beginning I wouldn't get my hopes up to snag one. Maybe watch near final payment to see if one opens up. 

4 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I think the prices are pretty significant.

Usually yes.. I was surprised when I looked into it yesterday though.

The minimum bid for AQ for our Apex cruise, is only € 85.
Suite is around € 500. Not much for those interested. 

Coming from Concierge that is...

3 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Usually yes.. I was surprised when I looked into it yesterday though.

The minimum bid for AQ for our Apex cruise, is only € 85.
Suite is around € 500. Not much for those interested. 

Coming from Concierge that is...

Apex this fall? That one may be a bit of an outlier since booking are extremely light. I would definitely jump to AQ for a couple hundred dollars. I think on Edge we told ourselves we would do a suite for a $2k premium (total) but that didn't really even get us into the minimum bid range. 

Just now, Jeremiah1212 said:

Apex this fall? That one may be a bit of an outlier since booking are extremely light. I would definitely jump to AQ for a couple hundred dollars. I think on Edge we told ourselves we would do a suite for a $2k premium (total) but that didn't really even get us into the minimum bid range. 

Yes, in September.
However, although usually big fans of AQ, we like the 4 MDRs on E class and don´t miss BLU.
I placed the minimum bid for AQ. Not disappointed if we won´t get it.

With the ship not even at 50% capacity I have no intention or need to pay any extra for a suite. 
Enough space as it is 🙂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I think the prices are pretty significant. On our recent Edge cruise to move past the entry level bids it would have been roughly the same price just to book the category outright. Especially if you're jumping from non-suite to suite, it didn't make sense to use Move Up. 

You do have to move category to category. I've never seen moves within a subcategory (i.e. E1 to SV). With the popularity of SV's on Edge class ships, unless you book an SV from the beginning I wouldn't get my hopes up to snag one. Maybe watch near final payment to see if one opens up. 

14 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

They only have the major categories like Ocean View, AQ, SS, CS etc.  They do not have sub class like SS1  SS2 or SS3

Thanks to both of you!

We're not interested in a 'big' upgrade unless the price was right.   This cruise is a lift & shift, post final payment, from what was possibly the cheapest 7n itinerary offered last March.   Our total for 2 in a balcony is about the same as the per-person rate for the same room right now, so rebooking isn't a real option unless prices came down dramatically.

I guess we'll see what we're offered. 🙂  

I tried Celebrity Move Up this month.

I have found that your Min Bid is based on your current cabin category/price. Example: you have an Inside bid for Balcony, Min Bid price is higher than a person with an Ocean view Min Bid price for Balcony.

I even seen where it was cheaper to buy the Balcony at current price than trying to Min Bid up to Balcony.

So, not all deals are in your favor. 

Yes, I know this is not always true.

Stay Safe & Happy Cruising!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oxo said:

I tried Celebrity Move Up this month.

I have found that your Min Bid is based on your current cabin category/price. Example: you have an Inside bid for Balcony, Min Bid price is higher than a person with an Ocean view Min Bid price for Balcony.

I even seen where it was cheaper to buy the Balcony at current price than trying to Min Bid up to Balcony.

So, not all deals are in your favor. 

Yes, I know this is not always true.

Stay Safe & Happy Cruising!

Makes sense.  Your category should reflect your relative $$ outlay, so Aqua would be more $$ for a balcony than it would be for concierge. 

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

And if you bid on several categories are they assessed separately and you can chose the one you prefer or  how does that work? 

29 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

If you bid on one, you will win only one, their choice.   If you are going for something specific I wouldn't bid on others.

Yes, It would be the system’s choice.  Personally I would bid on anyone that is of interest. This will increase the odds of winning a bid.  If there is one that looks more interesting to you, just increase that bid.  

Good Luck

We cruised APEX August 14th and were booked in Sky Suite and for kicks placed move up bids for all categories and ended up in the Iconic Suite.  The move up was $8,050 per passenger.  We were going to cancel the cruise until we found out we were in the Iconic Suite and went on the cruise for the opportunity to cruise in this suite.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 5waldos said:

And if you bid on several categories are they assessed separately and you can chose the one you prefer or  how does that work? 

If you bid on multiple upgrades only one will be potentially accepted by Celebrity.    You will be billed immediately and other bids will be cancelled.     You do NOT have the ability to choose which one.

31 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

If you bid on multiple upgrades only one will be potentially accepted by Celebrity.    You will be billed immediately and other bids will be cancelled.     You do NOT have the ability to choose which one.

How long is the bid process? Minutes? Hours? Days? 

If you don't get one, is the window still open to bid on another? 

1 hour ago, Lane412000 said:

We cruised APEX August 14th and were booked in Sky Suite and for kicks placed move up bids for all categories and ended up in the Iconic Suite.  The move up was $8,050 per passenger.  We were going to cancel the cruise until we found out we were in the Iconic Suite and went on the cruise for the opportunity to cruise in this suite.

Hope you get a chance to do a report or review somewhere, would love to read about it. 

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

And is there any rhyme or reason to which one they would accept? 

6 minutes ago, aero777 said:

Hope you get a chance to do a report or review somewhere, would love to read about it. 

I just submitted a review and it should be approved in the next day or so.  In the meantime, if you have questions, you can look at our Facebook page (lane cheramie) and feel free to send questions 

• Like 1

I hope it was an amazing cruise- the pictures are astonishing! But then, so is the price!

11 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

I hope it was an amazing cruise- the pictures are astonishing! But then, so is the price!

Just one of those once in a lifetime things.  When we were on the Edge in July I kept saying I need to sail in the Iconic Suite never thinking it would happen.  lol

44 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

And is there any rhyme or reason to which one they would accept? 

They contract this bidding to another company who does it for many companies including airlines.  I assume they have a computer algorithm that computes the maximum revenue on what could be a complex combination of upgrades.

You may be in a S2 and bid $2000 on a RS and $1000 on a CS.   The CS person bids $1010 on the RS.  If they award you the CS and the other person the RS they make $10 more than just giving you the RS with the "high bid".

Now if you didn't bid on the CS would you have gotten the RS???  Who knows.

I'm sure it's way more complicated than this but you get my drift.

Just one of those once in a lifetime things.  When we were on the Edge in July I kept saying I need to sail in the Iconic Suite never thinking it would happen.  lol

Did you ever leave the suite? Seems like you would simply stay inside the entire time- in fact, it might take you the week to even see it all!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Did you ever leave the suite? Seems like you would simply stay inside the entire time- in fact, it might take you the week to even see it all!

We spent a great deal of time in the suite (really the balcony), thus missing all entertainment on board.  It was a blast and while the price was high, we thoroughly enjoyed the cabin and were happy we received the moveup

4 hours ago, 5waldos said:

But how will you go back to an ordinary suite?

Good question, booked in Royal Suite for February's Solstice Asia cruise (don't think it will sail) and PH on Alaska Millennium in May.  Honestly, I like the Millennium and Summit PH more than I like the Apex Iconic Suite