EU to reimpose travel ban from US on Monday

rbslos18

• rbslos18 changed the title to EU to reimpose travel ban from US on Monday

From what I have read, this applies to unvaccinated people. It also gives each country the leeway to set their parameters, so it could vary what entry requirements are. I may be wrong, but It sounds as if vaccinated passengers on cruise lines, which most are requiring, may be okay. 
I also think this is going to be a moving target with change being the constant. 

EU vaccination rates, while they started out slower, are currently much higher than the U.S.  I read on another board that Ireland will hit  90% next week, and several countries are at 80%. That for me is a relief when I consider traveling. 

• Like 1

Due to the increase in the number of cases, SchengenVisaInfo.com had reported for days now that the entry ban on Americans travelling to the EU for non-essential purposes would be brought back.

Tourism is a non essential purpose.  Nothing to do with vaccinated or not.   I see our Sept 11 cruise out of Malta likely to be cancelled.  😢

• Like 2

Remember that Schengenvisainfo.com is not an official government website, and is merely speculating based on "reports".

In addition, be sure to note this line, buried into the NINTH paragraph:

"The list is reviewed every fortnight, and the Member States are not legally bound in applying it."

Here is an updated article:  https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-to-reimpose-entry-ban-on-travellers-from-us-5-other-third-countries-on-monday-sources-say/

Seems the decision was made on Friday and will be announced on Monday.  I guess we will find out for sure tomorrow.  But like FlyerTalker said, member states are not legal bound by it.  

27 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Remember that Schengenvisainfo.com is not an official government website, and is merely speculating based on "reports".

In addition, be sure to note this line, buried into the NINTH paragraph:

"The list is reviewed every fortnight, and the Member States are not legally bound in applying it."

We'll see if Schengenvisainfo.com is merely "speculating" when tomorrow rolls around. (Forbes magazine is reporting the same.)

39 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

We'll see if Schengenvisainfo.com is merely "speculating" when tomorrow rolls around. (Forbes magazine is reporting the same.)

The NY Times is also reporting the same:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/08/29/world/covid-delta-variant-vaccine?type=styln-live-updates&label=coronavirus updates&index=0#the-eu-is-set-to-reimpose-travel-restrictions-on-us-visitors

The restrictions “can vary from state to state, but it is widely expected that fully vaccinated Americans would still maintain unfettered access” to the European Union, said an E.U. diplomat who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/08/30/eu-travel-restrictions/

16 hours ago, mauicruiser said:

Due to the increase in the number of cases, SchengenVisaInfo.com had reported for days now that the entry ban on Americans travelling to the EU for non-essential purposes would be brought back.

Tourism is a non essential purpose.  Nothing to do with vaccinated or not.   I see our Sept 11 cruise out of Malta likely to be cancelled.  😢

You do realise Viking sell cruises to more than just US customers?

The EU are playing hardball because they are upset that they are not allowed entry to US. Until last week, that is all they wanted. When there was no movement on this, they've now made this suggestion.

It's up to individual countries to ignore their recommendation and hope they do.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, les37b said:

The EU are playing hardball because they are upset that they are not allowed entry to US. Until last week, that is all they wanted. When there was no movement on this, they've now made this suggestion.

It's up to individual countries to ignore their recommendation and hope they do.

Like it or not, the vast majority of Viking cruise passengers are from the U.S.

Perhaps the continued U.S. travel ban (to Europeans) played into today's EU statement. Perhaps not. But most importantly, the current U.S. Covid case count is off the charts. Whether that case count gave the EU a medical reason to issue the statement, or simply a pretext for "playing hardball" with the U.S., is really immaterial at this point. It's now up to the individual EU countries to make their own decisions in response to the statement.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, les37b said:

You do realise that today‘s recommendations/guidelines cover 6 countries, not just the US? And that they are based on rapidly growing infection rates?

Individual countries already have stricter rules in place than the EU guidelines. For example, nothing will change in Germany because there are already stricter restrictions for those 6 countries

Here everyone can keep up to date as things change in each country visiting these websites.

https://es.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Spain

Entry and Exit Requirements:  SPAIN

Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes

• Effective June 24, 2021, U.S. citizens can travel from the United States to Spain if they present a QR code generated through the Spain Travel Health portal, obtained through the website or by downloading the SpTH app in Google Play or App Store for each traveler
  • U.S. citizens who are travelling to Spain from a country that is not the United States should make sure they follow the guidance published by Spanish authorities on their local Spain Embassy website.
  • Please be aware that travel immediately following this change may involve extensive wait times upon arrival as implementation is rolled out. Requirements below.
  • Click here for information for travel within the European Schengen zone.

https://it.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Italy

Entry and Exit Requirements:

• Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
    • U.S. citizens may travel to Italy for any reason, including tourism.
    • Current travel restrictions on entry into Italy are linked to several factors, including one’s country of departure and purpose of travel.
    • The Government of Italy periodically updates these restrictions based upon changing conditions, and all travelers should refer to current Italian health decrees when making travel plans.
    • English-language guidance on current entry and exit requirements is maintained on the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ website.
    • All persons traveling to Italy from any foreign location are required to provide their airline or Italian law enforcement officials with a self-declaration form prior to travel.
    • Regional governments in Italy may also impose restrictions on travelers from certain foreign countries, and travelers intending to travel or return to Italy are advised to check whether any new provisions have been introduced by their region of destination.
    • Beginning on June 21 and valid until August 30, 2021, travelers from the United States may enter Italy without the need to self-isolate/quarantine upon arrival if they present a Covid document compliant with Italian and EU regulations, commonly called the “Green Pass”, certifying one of the following conditions:
        • An Anti-COVID 19 vaccination certificate for an European Medicines Agency (EMA)-recognized vaccine.  At present, EMA recognizes the following vaccines: Pfizer-BioNtech, Moderna, Johnson and Johnson, and AstraZeneca.  The date of the final vaccine dose must be at least 14 days prior to travel.  Travelers vaccinated in the United States can prove this via the “white card” bearing the CDC logo.
        • A medical certificate confirming recovery from COVID dated no more than six months before departure.
        • A negative molecular PCR or rapid antigen test result carried out within 48 hours of departure.
    • Passengers are required to complete the online EU Digital Passport Locator Form.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/covid-19-coronavirus-information/

England

Entry and Exit Requirements

• Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes, if not traveling from a ‘red-list’ country.  Please see the UK government website for more information
  • Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes
  • Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes

Please see UK Visa and Immigration’s website for information on visa extensions for residents and tourists.

You will not be able to travel to the United Kingdom from a country on the travel ban list unless you have residence rights in the UK. The United States is not currently on the travel ban list.

New arrivals will be required to provide UK officials with contact and travel information prior to arrival by completing the Public Health Locator Form. This form must be completed by each member of your traveling party. You may not submit the form until 48 hours before your arrival in the UK.

Other countries

France

Netherlands

Belgium

4 hours ago, les37b said:

Here in Florida, it has been reported that fake Covid vaccine cards are easily attainable.

One local family presented allegedly fake cards on arrival in Hawaii. The parents passed muster, but the vaccine cards for the seven and five year old kids gave away the  game.

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

Here in Florida, it has been reported that fake Covid vaccine cards are easily attainable.

One local family presented allegedly fake cards on arrival in Hawaii. The parents passed muster, but the vaccine cards for the seven and five year old kids gave away the  game.

Unfortunately, there are always people that try to scam the system.  Doesn't mean it should change things for people that follow the rules.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bbtondo said:

Unfortunately, there are always people that try to scam the system.  Doesn't mean it should change things for people that follow the rules.

Agreed. I will admit that, when I was 18 I might have been in possession of an altered driver  license for the purpose of acquiring alcoholic beverages.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Agreed. I will admit that, when I was 18 I might have been in possession of an altered driver  license for the purpose of acquiring alcoholic beverages.

Shhh your secret is safe with me!  Oh what we all did when we were younger.  Thank goodness we survived. LOL

• Haha 2

I would hope that any decision to allow travel from one country to another is based on scientific data and not simply a political move. Here in the UK Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines have been used but until the USA approves the AZ vaccine it is unlikely that UK residents will be able to enter the States.

In the meantime there seems to be no problem with Americans coming to the UK. I know President Biden has other things to worry about at the moment but surely the CDC and FDA need to approve AZ without delay.

5 hours ago, friendlyfifer said:

I would hope that any decision to allow travel from one country to another is based on scientific data and not simply a political move. Here in the UK Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines have been used but until the USA approves the AZ vaccine it is unlikely that UK residents will be able to enter the States.

In the meantime there seems to be no problem with Americans coming to the UK. I know President Biden has other things to worry about at the moment but surely the CDC and FDA need to approve AZ without delay.

The AZ vaccine has not been approved in the US and it's unlikely it ever will as AZ has not submitted the large scale trial data the FDA has requested . AZ's  trials in the US were pretty messed up so they never could catch up with the other vaccines in the race to get approval here.

We have more than sufficient supplies of the Moderna, Pfizer and J&J vaccines so it doesn't make a lot of economic sense for AZ to meet the FDA requirements because it's unlikely they could sell their vaccine in the US.

Edited by njhorseman