EU to reimpose travel ban from US on Monday

rbslos18

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

The AZ vaccine has not been approved in the US and it's unlikely it ever will as AZ has not submitted the large scale trial data the FDA has requested . AZ's  trials in the US were pretty messed up so they never could catch up with the other vaccines in the race to get approval here.

We have more than sufficient supplies of the Moderna, Pfizer and J&J vaccines so it doesn't make a lot of economic sense for AZ to meet the FDA requirements because it's unlikely they could sell their vaccine in the US.

I am not concerned about whether or not the AZ vaccine is used or not in the USA. My point is that millions of people in Europe and around the world have received the vaccine and they are not permitted to travel to the USA. How will this be overcome and when?

1 hour ago, friendlyfifer said:

I am not concerned about whether or not the AZ vaccine is used or not in the USA. My point is that millions of people in Europe and around the world have received the vaccine and they are not permitted to travel to the USA. How will this be overcome and when?

Well, like it or not, every sovereign nation has the right to decide which vaccines are to be recognized for entry into that country. Who know, even a double dose of Rfizer or Moderna may not be sufficient at some point in time 

2 hours ago, friendlyfifer said:

1 hour ago, Berlin Bear said:

Well, like it or not, every sovereign nation has the right to decide which vaccines are to be recognized for entry into that country. Who know, even a double dose of Rfizer or Moderna may not be sufficient at some point in time 

Vaccination status does not play a role in the travel ban. The US bans travel by foreign residents who in the previous 14 days have been present in the UK, the Schengen states and some other countries such as India and Brazil even if you are vaccinated with a US-approved product. Travelers coming from countries not subject to the ban, including both foreign nationals and  returning US residents, have to provide proof of a negative COVID test or proof of recovery from COVID 19 and can fly to the US whether vaccinated or not. There are some destinations such as Hawaii that may have quarantine requirements for the unvaccinated. but that is a local requirement, not a US federal government requirement.

If there were a vaccination requirement why should the US give a green light to the AZ vaccine when AZ did not to submit its data to the FDA? Are we also expected to accept the Chinese and Russian vaccines? As @Berlin Bear said every sovereign nation has the right to decide which vaccines are acceptable.

Edited by njhorseman

1 hour ago, Berlin Bear said:

This is already happening.  I think Austria and Croatia have said that a person entering who has been vaccinated more than 270 days prior will be considered unvaccinated. I'm sure more will follow in that vein.  

31 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Vaccination status does not play a role in the travel ban. The US bans travel by foreign residents who in the previous 14 days have been present in the UK, the Schengen states and some other countries such as India and Brazil even if you are vaccinated with a US-approved product. Travelers coming from countries not subject to the ban, including both foreign nationals and  returning US residents, have to provide proof of a negative COVID test or proof of recovery from COVID 19 and can fly to the US whether vaccinated or not. There are some destinations such as Hawaii that may have quarantine requirements for the unvaccinated. but that is a local requirement, not a US federal government requirement.

If there were a vaccination requirement why should the US give a green light to the AZ vaccine when AZ did not to submit its data to the FDA? Are we also expected to accept the Chinese and Russian vaccines? As @Berlin Bear said every sovereign nation has the right to decide which vaccines are acceptable.

You’re right, of course, about the vaccination status not playing a role. Just hope we manage to do our NE/Canada cruise in September 2022!

10 minutes ago, amyr said:

This is already happening.  I think Austria and Croatia have said that a person entering who has been vaccinated more than 270 days prior will be considered unvaccinated. I'm sure more will follow in that vein.  

They’ve started administering booster jabs to the most vulnerable here in Germany today, so I guess it won’t be too long until the rest of us are invited

The USA currently refuses entry to UK and EU citizens and, my point stands, that this matter needs to be resolved. From an economic point of view it is not something that should go on for any longer than necessary. The USA has carried out its own studies on the AZ vaccine and this should allow them to make a decision on its validity.

I don’t believe in tit-for-tat but why should US residents be allowed to travel in the UK and the EU with no reciprocity on offer?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, friendlyfifer said:

The USA currently refuses entry to UK and EU citizens and, my point stands, that this matter needs to be resolved. From an economic point of view it is not something that should go on for any longer than necessary. The USA has carried out its own studies on the AZ vaccine and this should allow them to make a decision on its validity.

I don’t believe in tit-for-tat but why should US residents be allowed to travel in the UK and the EU with no reciprocity on offer?

You still seem to be hung up on the AZ vaccine when vaccination status is NOT part of the US criteria for admission. You can be vaccinated with Pfizer, Moderna or J&J and you still are not be eligible to enter the US from the UK and EU unless you are a US citizen or legal resident. The vaccine issue is a red herring in the discussion of who should be allowed in the US . It doesn't come into play at all.

Further the US has not done adequate studies on the AZ vaccine because AZ has not submitted the data the FDA requested, and AZ may never do so because there's apparently no financial benefit to them for going through the process. If you insist on pointing fingers, point them at AZ who screwed up their US trials and subsequently appears to have decided not to bother with meeting the FDA's requirements.

Edited by njhorseman

Please don' forget CC's COVID-related discussion guidelines:

Effective immediately, COVID-related discussion should be limited to actual policy on board ships (and other forms of travel) and its practical application.  Discussion should NOT veer into opinion or debate.

I'm interested in learning if any EU countries are following the recommendations of the US citizen travel ban.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

Effective immediately, COVID-related discussion should be limited to actual policy on board ships (and other forms of travel) and its practical application.  Discussion should NOT veer into opinion or debate.

I'm interested in learning if any EU countries are following the recommendations of the US citizen travel ban.  

Thank you for pointing this out to me and others. I will end my input to the discussion.

6 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

I never thought I would miss the Jeans in The Restaurant discussion 😉 Thanks JeriGail!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, rbslos18 said:

I never thought I would miss the Jeans in The Restaurant discussion 😉 Thanks JeriGail!

I know - so many of these threads provide such important information, but sometimes they veer off course a bit.  I'll be checking the pants I'm planning on wearing to the Restaurant to make sure they look nicer than jeans so I won't be the subject of further jean's debate!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, friendlyfifer said:

I didn't check on the entry requirements specifically from the UK/Europe, but I thoroughly researched the US & US CDC requirements before booking the 4th December Hawaii cruise.

Although the US CDC refuses to accept AZ and any mixed vaccines, at present they only require a negative COVID test with the sample taken with the 3-days preceeding the flight. At present we can't drive into the US, but we can fly. While I was looking at flights from Canada, I believe this is consistent for other International flights.

Viking does accept AZ and any combination of WHO & US FDA approved vaccines.

8 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I didn't check on the entry requirements specifically from the UK/Europe, but I thoroughly researched the US & US CDC requirements before booking the 4th December Hawaii cruise.

Although the US CDC refuses to accept AZ and any mixed vaccines, at present they only require a negative COVID test with the sample taken with the 3-days preceeding the flight. At present we can't drive into the US, but we can fly. While I was looking at flights from Canada, I believe this is consistent for other International flights.

Viking does accept AZ and any combination of WHO & US FDA approved vaccines.

The USA is currently on the UK’s Amber List. This means that US residents, who are fully vaccinated, must have  a Covid test before flying to the UK and a Day 2 test after their arrival. They do not need to quarantine.

The following is copied from the UK Government website:

Entry to USA

It is not possible for most British nationals to enter the USA if they have been in the UK, Ireland, Schengen zone, Iran, Brazil, China, South Africa or India within the previous 14 days. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gogo65 said:

I found this article on ‘one mile at a time’, the Netherlands have included mandatory quarantine for US citizens.

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/self-quarantine/mandatory-quarantine

Doesn’t apply to transiting through the airport on the way to another country, so that’s good.

2 hours ago, gogo65 said:

I found this article on ‘one mile at a time’, the Netherlands have included mandatory quarantine for US citizens.

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/self-quarantine/mandatory-quarantine

I saw this too, but what exactly does this mean: List of very high-risk countries and areas (with and without a virus variant of concern)

• United States (from 4 September onwards, mandatory negative COVID-19 test result from 6 September onwards)

Our booked flight from Seattle to Rome for our Oct 5 Iconic Western Mediterranean cruise on Jupiter transits Frankfurt. According to the Lufthansa website, we do not need a negative Covid test to transit but we need to comply with the rules at our final destination, Italy. Italy now requires a negative test, PCR or antigen, 72 hours before arrival. Rules seem to change quickly but it's safe to assume a negative test will be required. As much as arranging a test within the required timeframe may be an inconvenience, it should be reassuring to know before you board a plane that you've tested negative.

8 hours ago, mgatc said:

I saw this too, but what exactly does this mean: List of very high-risk countries and areas (with and without a virus variant of concern)

• United States (from 4 September onwards, mandatory negative COVID-19 test result from 6 September onwards)

The US is going onto the high risk list, if you click on the list of relevant countries the US is on it. Apparently Viking are onto it (for the river cruises), but will undoubtedly cause cancellations 

9 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Doesn’t apply to transiting through the airport on the way to another country, so that’s good.

BUT…transit limited to less than 12 hours, so this impacts cruises which end in Amsterdam. That rules out previous day in Kinderdijk!!
Probable extra day in Cologne, then race to port and airport!! 😳

• Like 1