Vegetarian and alcohol free on NCL

leblais

2 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

OP. Not going to bash your or wife in any way, but I do think your expectations were unrealistic. I was a vegetarian for 12 years so understand the issues. But yes, on cruise ships in general I would say that one vegetarian item on the everyday menu and one vegetarian item on the rotating menu is pretty standard. You could do several soups/salads/apps as a substitute. But I feel like what you mean as a "comparable" experience would be to have half a menu of vegetarian items. I don't think any mass market cruise ship would meet that. Shoot, even just going to normal restaurants on land you most have the choice of salads without chicken, usually a pasta dish, and maybe if you are really lucky 1 entree that was designed as a vegetarian entree.

Also, a bit confused about what you mean by you can get any drink virgin but is it really a drink? Most of the drinks on mass market cruise ships are simply a combination of juice, soda, sugary mixes, and alcohol. So if you take out the alcohol you are left with juice, soda, and sugary mixes. I think you are suggesting more specialty cocktails with higher end ingredients like lavender, rosemary, etc. Again, I think your expectations are shooting above a mass market cruise line on this. 

I think this is spot on. 

OP Expectation - Special menu of vegetarian/non-alcoholic items that are equal in creativity to other menu items

Mass Market Reality - Items made "without" the restricted ingredients that will make do and won't cost a lot to make or keep on hand if not consumed. 

• Like 4

Not going to bash, but in reality, some of these questions just need to be thought through.  I.E. Virgin Vodka soda.  Well, you're right, you take the alcohol out (vodka) it is just soda.  You can call it a Vodka/Soda without Vodka, but it's just soda.

A Long Island Iced Tea is kind of a misnomer.  There is no "tea" in it.  But, the whole reason you order it is because of all the alcohol in in (and it kind of tastes like sweetened tea).  So, it's Rum, Gin, Vodka, Triple Sec, Tequila, lemon juice, cola, simple syrup.  Take out the liquor, and it's lemon juice, cola and simple syrup.  I was a bartender in college and made a LOT OF THEM.

Bloody Mary....V8 juice, Worsteshire, Celery salt/stalk, Hot Sause, cherry tomato and VODKA.  Just remove the vodka.

My favorite drink, bourbon on the rocks, would be just ice without the alcohol.

I could go on, but any bartender on the ship will make any drinks without alcohol.  You may not like the taste of them without the alcohol, but they'll make them.

Others have good suggestions regarding vegetarian diets.  Best bet is to stay away from the Specialty Restaurants (their specials usually are geared towards either fish, chicken or steak as proteins).

You can have a tasty and vegetarian meal in the Buffets and make your dishes to your own choosing with fresh and grilled veggies, soups and entrees.

Good luck.  I think you will be accommodated if you know what to ask for.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 3

NCL was awesome every cruise with my celiac daughter, did your wife speak to the dietary manager? She ordered meals ahead of time, pretty much whatever she wanted. However, in the specialty restaurants they could really only modify regular entrees to make them gluten free, so she was much better off in the MDR’s. As for mocktails, aren’t they just juice or soda without alcohol? 

4 hours ago, saltsandknit said:

I’m not sure what you are really asking for but I will be on the Gem in 3 weeks and will try to do a live of the cruise. I eat mostly vegetarian but I will eat fish when on vacation. I will post food pictures of my meals if you want to see them. As far as virgin drinks, most drinks on the ship are pre made mixes so it’s not always an easy task. Your best options are the blended drinks. There is a full menu of mojitos with a lot of flavors that your wife  might enjoy. 

A full menu of mojitos??  We didn't see that nor did anyone of the bar tenders even bring that up.  Can all the bars make those or is it just in a mojito bar? I bet that would have been great!  I guess we will definitely look into that for the next time we go.

3 hours ago, valleyvillage said:

Oops, my bad. You have to request it. Also, I have had them get me a vegetarian dish from the Indian section of the buffet. I hope it works better for you next time. 

How would we know to request it?  I did not know that we could get them to get us something from the buffet either... Good info to be aware of in the future. Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

OP. Not going to bash your or wife in any way, but I do think your expectations were unrealistic. I was a vegetarian for 12 years so understand the issues. But yes, on cruise ships in general I would say that one vegetarian item on the everyday menu and one vegetarian item on the rotating menu is pretty standard. You could do several soups/salads/apps as a substitute. But I feel like what you mean as a "comparable" experience would be to have half a menu of vegetarian items. I don't think any mass market cruise ship would meet that. Shoot, even just going to normal restaurants on land you most have the choice of salads without chicken, usually a pasta dish, and maybe if you are really lucky 1 entree that was designed as a vegetarian entree.

Also, a bit confused about what you mean by you can get any drink virgin but is it really a drink? Most of the drinks on mass market cruise ships are simply a combination of juice, soda, sugary mixes, and alcohol. So if you take out the alcohol you are left with juice, soda, and sugary mixes. I think you are suggesting more specialty cocktails with higher end ingredients like lavender, rosemary, etc. Again, I think your expectations are shooting above a mass market cruise line on this. 

I hear where you are coming from but really when I say a comparable dish I mean just that. ONE dish that is comparable. Like a nice, fresh vegetarian dish. ONE! Not one option that literally was garbage, nearly inedible!  I dont think that is too much to ask for....  Grill some real vegetables like they give you for sides at other restaurants. They have them and it would be easy!  Not a 50 cent bag of frozen veg. that was steamed and some uncooked tofu on top! C'MON NOW..

Perhaps you are correct about my expectations. I expect for someone to put something in place of the alcohol. Even if it is just seltzer, but I cant see why something better couldnt be available. Alcohol is expensive(ish) and I am sure that they could come up with some alternatives. They have made non alcoholic mixers for a while and I would not call them high end compared to me having a pour or a double of a decent scotch or even a drink with grey goose or something.  I mean, just have a menu for people like me who do not know drinks.  I would drink something like a whiskey sour, a grand marnier, or whatever, but if you ask for those as virgin, what would you get? NOTHING?  I mean.. I just don't know what drinks to order as a virgin drink.  Aside from frozen drinks, which my wife just does not care for at all. Again, I am not bashing them on it specifically, just want to know what would be available. Saying "u can order anything virgin" does not help me. 

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

NCL was awesome every cruise with my celiac daughter, did your wife speak to the dietary manager? She ordered meals ahead of time, pretty much whatever she wanted. However, in the specialty restaurants they could really only modify regular entrees to make them gluten free, so she was much better off in the MDR’s. As for mocktails, aren’t they just juice or soda without alcohol? 

Yes, that is who we spoke to and she got her veg/uncooked tofu plate.  Mocktails... I assume they are just as you said, but is there a list? I asked for some ideas and nobody gave even 1.  

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

We told them ahead of time and I reminded them on board and at every venue.  On top of that I called ahead for cagneys, specifically, and they connected me to this dietary manager but we were not really given an option. I don't know why... I didn't know what to expect and we did have to order it ahead of time, which, again, made us feel like it would be a pretty good dish. I am glad they gave her options and that her meals have been good. I wish we had the same

Just FYI; I’ve read several of your posts anc have had trouble understanding what you wanted. So it wouldn’t surprise me if a communication problem exacerbated this. 

you wanted mock tails but not juices. You wanted a vegetable dish but the one you got wasn’t the quality you wanted…

as far as how to improve your cruising experience. 1. Mock tails are less commonly ordered than cocktails. She could research some mock tail recipes ahead of time. 2. As far as the food, I don’t think NCL does a great job of food to begin with. Our last cruise was half wonderful and half inedible. And that’s ordering off a full menu. It’s easy to make steak covered in gravy with French fries tasty. It takes a much more skilled chef to make vegetables and tofu tasty. I personally prefer the food on celebrity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

By your own admission:  You do not know what you want, and cannot even describe what you want accurately (ie: I do not know the drinks to order); but you expect NCL to go above and beyond and deliver on command??  So, YES YOUR EXPECTATIONS ARE WAY OUT OF LINE.  

Do not go to the Steak House for Vegetarian Meals and expect them to be Fabulous. Get Appis and Sides.

Eat in the Buffett. - I always find Vegetarian, NOT VEGAN, food. Actually pretty good, always check the Asian/Indian section.  Italian for pasta (I don't eat pasta but my husband does, they mix it fresh)

I have never drank alcoholic beverages .. Not a Problem. ..  I do not make it a Problem.

Celebrity or Regent would be a possible choice for you, but as picky and demanding  as your wife sounds maybe you should charter a Yacht with a Private Chef then you could select all your meals and drinks accordingly.  

River cruises also have smaller dining options with Chefs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, leblais said:

WOW...  What an amazing community. Either some of you didn't read most of my posts or you are just trying to be rude. 

Thanks for those of you who have been helpful

I don’t think people are trying to be rude. But you have said multiple times ‘I didn’t know what I expected’ and that you didn’t know what to ask for; but what you got wasn’t what you wanted.

But if you can’t articulate it here, you probably didn’t articulate it well on the ship. So if what you wanted is outside the ‘norm’, it’s hardly a surprise that the crew didn’t provide it. I’m imagining a conversation with a bartender where you asked for a mocktail; ‘well what do you want’; ‘can you show me a menu’ and them giving you a cocktail menu; and then this going around and around. As opposed to if you walked up and sail ‘please make me a strawberry virgin mojito’  and then making it. Please keep in mind that English isn’t their first language and most of them don’t have any training outside what the cruise line provided - which was based around the typical customer who drinks too much and eats lots of fried and sweet foods. This isn’t a hot spot in NYC that has an experienced and well trained chef.

• Like 6

Maybe, NCL isn't a good match for OP's unclear expectations ... IMHO.  Go for smaller ships with other lines, i.e. Regents - with a butler & concierge.  Still, it helps to plan and ask ahead, and once onboard, meet with the designated liaison (Special Needs)   Mega ships in the *away class have to balance the needs & prepare 15,000+ meals daily, not counting the crew gallery.  Sometimes, you might find the needs better matched away from the ocean, at a land resort - it is an imperfect world we live in.  Good luck in helping your spouse to find her joy.

We've been cruising for 20+ years and manage to find the overall experience a good one ... Perrier over ice with a twisted lemon, chilled orange juice on the rocks, and ice coffee are good enough for non-alcoholic beverages.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 4

I have followed this and for the OP I can understand you are discouraged. I don't eat vegetarian/vegan but I do have health issue/allergies that involve my diet. I have never had an issue with any of the ships I have sailed on with NCL. I speak with the MaîtreD the night before I eat in a specialty/main dining room restaurant and we go over what is available and how it can be prepared for me. Sometimes, no matter how much I would love to eat something, it just can't be done. On Celebrity I found the most gluten free option of any cruise line out there. I will be sailing on Virgin in December and I have looked at their menus. I am sure that I will have no trouble working in foods that I can eat there as well.

I have attached a list of the drinks that you will find on most NCL ships. The non-alcohol ones are listed at the end with an NA following the name. As graphicguy said there are some drinks that there are just no work around. If you wife used to drink rum and coke there are absolutely no non-alcohol rums out there. There are some "non-alcohoI" beers out there but most folks I know say they aren't great. I spent many years tending bar at high end night clubs and hotels and at one place a popular drink we made non-alcoholic was a grasshopper. It was a little thicker than a traditional grasshopper but was very tasty. If you wife doesn't like frozen drinks she just needs to ask for them as nonfrozen. I like an old fashion daiquiri. Most don't know how to do that without the frozen but as a bartender I walk them through making one. So if I were you print out the list if you decide to try NCL again and even if you don't at least you will have it as a cheat sheet for other places.

NCL_Beverage_List.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like you were expecting more of a customized experience. You made it work, but wanted “more”- i.e. specially prepared dishes and intentional mocktails. For this, I’d recommend trying out the Haven. Eat in the Haven restaurant, meet with the Maitre’d on the first day and have a talk. My daughter is gluten free and they will literally make her anything she wants within their capability. Drink at the Haven bar- they love to make custom cocktails and I’m sure it would be the same with mocktails.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wildcatllamas said:

I have followed this and for the OP I can understand you are discouraged. I don't eat vegetarian/vegan but I do have health issue/allergies that involve my diet. I have never had an issue with any of the ships I have sailed on with NCL. I speak with the MaîtreD the night before I eat in a specialty/main dining room restaurant and we go over what is available and how it can be prepared for me. Sometimes, no matter how much I would love to eat something, it just can't be done. On Celebrity I found the most gluten free option of any cruise line out there. I will be sailing on Virgin in December and I have looked at their menus. I am sure that I will have no trouble working in foods that I can eat there as well.

I have attached a list of the drinks that you will find on most NCL ships. The non-alcohol ones are listed at the end with an NA following the name. As graphicguy said there are some drinks that there are just no work around. If you wife used to drink rum and coke there are absolutely no non-alcohol rums out there. There are some "non-alcohoI" beers out there but most folks I know say they aren't great. I spent many years tending bar at high end night clubs and hotels and at one place a popular drink we made non-alcoholic was a grasshopper. It was a little thicker than a traditional grasshopper but was very tasty. If you wife doesn't like frozen drinks she just needs to ask for them as nonfrozen. I like an old fashion daiquiri. Most don't know how to do that without the frozen but as a bartender I walk them through making one. So if I were you print out the list if you decide to try NCL again and even if you don't at least you will have it as a cheat sheet for other places.

NCL_Beverage_List.pdf 953.88 kB · 8 downloads

Much appreciated!  We plan to go on more NCL cruises, I just wanted to be better prepared on how to navigate then next trip(s). 

Like a few other people stated above, you need to be in the Haven suites to get that kind of service. I know, I’ve specifically done it. Low alcohol or non alcoholic drinks, custom made by the bartender. Food I asked for was very specific and they totally delivered for every meal. And with the food thing, you shouldn’t be eating at the specialty restaurants, though as mentioned before appetizers and salads are great and filling and you don’t have to limit yourself with only one, the buffet is your friend. I need to keep a balance of vegetables and other foods in my diet or I can get sick, and I found that the buffet really catered to what I needed. And I highly recommend that list of drinks PDF posted above by Wildcatlamas for your next trip. 🙂

And Holy Canoli Wildcatlamas! That list of Non Alcoholic drinks is huge! I’m going to keep a copy on my phone so I can try them out on my next cruise. Where did you find that? I didn’t see anything like that online. Thanks so much for posting that. 😄 

3 hours ago, Wildcatllamas said:

NCL_Beverage_List.pdf 953.88 kB · 10 downloads

• Like 2

I also agree the Haven dining room would make exquisite meals, as long as they are told the day before, as they request for any custom order. That may be the key as well to the main dining rooms. My wife has a sesame seed allergy, and on Disney Cruise Line, she has to order her items the day before so that they can ensure it’s allergy-free. I imagine they might do the same with vegetarian. Back to NCL, someone else said it, if you talk to the Matre D in one of the MDRs, they may be able to accommodate her, especially if she orders the day before.  Also, if she likes Indian food, often the ships employ a lot of Indian  cooks, and a lot of Indian people follow a vegetarian diet, so they might be able to come up with some interesting dishes for her. But again, ahead notice might really help!   Good luck!

• Like 1

leblais,  I don't know if what I would suggest can even be done on NCL, but here goes.

I am also vegetarian.   We always eat in the main dining room, at a set time and set table; therefore, we have the same waiters and head waiter.  When I order vegetarian options the first night, I am usually asked if I am vegetarian.  When I say yes, they regularly go out of their way to make sure I get something I like.  Sometimes a chef will come out to ask if I'd like an Indian dish not on the menu.

I think the key is establishing a relationship with dining room people.  Not only do we not dine in any specialty restaurants, we do not do "anytime dining" which would seat us with different wait staff every meal.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

leblais,  I don't know if what I would suggest can even be done on NCL, but here goes.

I am also vegetarian.   We always eat in the main dining room, at a set time and set table; therefore, we have the same waiters and head waiter.  When I order vegetarian options the first night, I am usually asked if I am vegetarian.  When I say yes, they regularly go out of their way to make sure I get something I like.  Sometimes a chef will come out to ask if I'd like an Indian dish not on the menu.

I think the key is establishing a relationship with dining room people.  Not only do we not dine in any specialty restaurants, we do not do "anytime dining" which would seat us with different wait staff every meal.

NCL is all anytime dining, you can try to eat at the same time every night, but staff rotates.

15 hours ago, psac said:

I also agree the Haven dining room would make exquisite meals, as long as they are told the day before, as they request for any custom order. That may be the key as well to the main dining rooms. My wife has a sesame seed allergy, and on Disney Cruise Line, she has to order her items the day before so that they can ensure it’s allergy-free. I imagine they might do the same with vegetarian. Back to NCL, someone else said it, if you talk to the Matre D in one of the MDRs, they may be able to accommodate her, especially if she orders the day before.  Also, if she likes Indian food, often the ships employ a lot of Indian  cooks, and a lot of Indian people follow a vegetarian diet, so they might be able to come up with some interesting dishes for her. But again, ahead notice might really help!   Good luck!

NCL works the same way for food allergies, amazing service.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, SwimmingDragon said:

And Holy Canoli Wildcatlamas! That list of Non Alcoholic drinks is huge! I’m going to keep a copy on my phone so I can try them out on my next cruise. Where did you find that? I didn’t see anything like that online. Thanks so much for posting that. 😄 

I happened to run across it on a post last week but I had seen it previously in 2015 and then could never find it again. This time I downloaded it to my flash drive. There are so many drinks, both nonalcoholic and with, that I would love to try. I really enjoy a Bushwacker after a hot day in port. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We always eat in the main dining room, at a set time and set table; therefore, we have the same waiters and head waiter.  When I order vegetarian options the first night, I am usually asked if I am vegetarian.  When I say yes, they regularly go out of their way to make sure I get something I like.  Sometimes a chef will come out to ask if I'd like an Indian dish not on the menu.

I so agree with what you have said about developing a relationship with your servers. They can be your life line on a cruise ship. When I was on Carnival I was shown the menu for the next day and the chef and I selected options for me. I am allergic to black pepper so it can be difficult to work around that but even there on Carnival they did what they could to make it work. Their cooks were very creative with workarounds. NCL has always been even better.