Schiphol Airport requiring QUARANTINE?

Cruizer Bill

I have been reading that Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam is now requiring US passengers to quarantine even if they are vaccinated and have a negative COVID test.  This appears to be the case even if you are transiting to another airport such as Venice to catch the Eurodam on October 6th.  If true, this will ruin the travel plans of MANY of us!!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cruizer Bill said:

I have been reading that Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam is now requiring US passengers to quarantine even if they are vaccinated and have a negative COVID test.  This appears to be the case even if you are transiting to another airport such as Venice to catch the Eurodam on October 6th.  If true, this will ruin the travel plans of MANY of us!!!!

Right now it’s in place - yes for people from the United Staes.

I believe the quarantine is 5 days if you test negative.

• Like 1

I did read that page and it led me this quagmire:

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/checklist-transit-or-short-stay

Checklist transfer/transit in the Netherlands (changing planes)

1. EU entry ban for high-risk areas outside the EU/Schengen area

A European entry ban is in effect for some people, barring them from travelling from a high-risk area to the European Union or the Schengen area.

You may only transit in the Netherlands if:

You are travelling from a safe country/region where the risk of contracting COVID-19 is low.

You will find the lists of safe areas/countries within and outside the EU/Schengen area in the  checklists for entering or returning to the Netherlands from abroad.

You have been fully vaccinated.

The purpose of your trip falls under one of the exemption categories:

Traveling to a non-EU/Schengen Country - You must prove that you have a connecting flight to a country outside the Schengen area. The connecting flight must depart within 48 hours of your arrival in the Netherlands. You must not leave the airport’s international transit zone in this period. Please note: the United Kingdom (UK) is not part of the EU/Schengen area. 

You are travelling to an EU country/Schengen area country via the Netherlands. You must be able to show you have permission to enter the EU country/Schengen country in question. You can do this with a note verbale from that country’s embassy, for example, or another type of document that proves you can travel there. If you do not have such a document, the Dutch border authorities will determine whether you may travel via the Netherlands. Without a document showing you have permission to enter the EU country/Schengen country in question, you are advised to fly there directly and not via the Netherlands. If you will be making a short stop at a Dutch airport you may need an airport transit visa. Please note: the United Kingdom (UK) is not part of the EU/Schengen area. 

Read more about the EU entry ban and the exemption categories

We are traveling to Rome (Civitavecchia for an Azamara cruise), others on this board will be flying to Venice.  Italy is an EU/Schengen country and does not qualify for exepmption from quarantine unless you have the special visa.  The airport transit visa does not list leisure travel as a choice, only business travel.

So, where are we?  It is clear as mud and looking bad!!!!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cruizer Bill said:

You can transfer through Schiphol from the US.  You do need to fill out a quarantine declaration for indicating that you are transferring and not leaving the airport.  

Of course there is always the possibility that the authorities might not grant you permission once you complete and submit the form.  Looks pretty clear if you are transiting  to a country outside of the EU.  Transferring to an EU country depends.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruizer Bill said:

Right now I would be more concerned with your flight into Schiphol. KLM just canceled alot of flights, if not all, to and from the US. My friends from Holland just received an email from KLM a few hours ago announcing the cancelation. They were coming over, if the US allowed pax from the EU by then, for the Nov 10th Rotterdam sailing. 

Edited by Laminator
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Laminator said:

Right now I would be more concerned with your flight into Schiphol. KLM just canceled alot of flights, if not all, to and from the US. My friends from Holland just received an email from KLM a few hours ago announcing the cancelation. They were coming over, if the US allowed pax from the EU by then, for the Nov 10th Rotterdam sailing. 

When I look at KLM flights to/from US/NL, I still find plenty to book. Of course, they could get cancelled, but if I was booking right now, I could easily do so. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, boze9999 said:

When I look at KLM flights to/from US/NL, I still find plenty to book. Of course, they could get cancelled, but if I was booking right now, I could easily do so. 

Yes...I saw that also and questioned my friend on it. He received an email from KLM at exactly midnight his time stating their flights were canceled. KLM had, about a month ago, changed their flights til one day later. Here the flights were simply canceled with no rebooking. I am guessing their site will take some time to update. He is looking at Lufthansa out of Frankfurt now. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TJR_0323 said:

The precise question I'm waiting clarification on..... flying to AMS on AA the day prior to the 20/Oct-2021 Rotterdam sailing.

Many airlines have made info available (although it is not infallible). Since you provided your airline and travel date, I went to the AA website and put in the appropriate information for someone traveling from the US to the Netherlands. This is the info that was generated:

Travel Restrictions for Netherlands (joinsherpa.com)

It looks like travel is still restricted and a quarantine period of 10 days is required -- or you can get a negative test at 5 days and be free to go.

I would double check this with the US embassy's requirements for Netherlands travel, but the airlines have been pretty good about keeping info updated. (And it may change again before your travel dates, although the Netherlands has been both hard hit with COVID and also pretty strict regarding entry, quarantine, lockdowns, etc. throughout this whole period.)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Many airlines have made info available (although it is not infallible). Since you provided your airline and travel date, I went to the AA website and put in the appropriate information for someone traveling from the US to the Netherlands. This is the info that was generated:

Travel Restrictions for Netherlands (joinsherpa.com)

It looks like travel is still restricted and a quarantine period of 10 days is required -- or you can get a negative test at 5 days and be free to go.

I would double check this with the US embassy's requirements for Netherlands travel, but the airlines have been pretty good about keeping info updated. (And it may change again before your travel dates, although the Netherlands has been both hard hit with COVID and also pretty strict regarding entry, quarantine, lockdowns, etc. throughout this whole period.)

cruisemom42..... I do follow the AA and the Netherlands government sites. I'm hoping HAL is working with the appropriate US and NL officials to obtain some sort of exemption for in-transit cruise ship passengers who will be leaving the country within 48 hours of arrival. We shall see !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TJR_0323 said:

cruisemom42..... I do follow the AA and the Netherlands government sites. I'm hoping HAL is working with the appropriate US and NL officials to obtain some sort of exemption for in-transit cruise ship passengers who will be leaving the country within 48 hours of arrival. We shall see !

I will keep fingers crossed for you but I think the chances are slim that HAL could obtain such an exemption for what is non-essential travel. My company has a number of employees from the Netherlands who work in either Germany or France -- most of them have not been allowed to travel even for business reasons between their home and their office during long portions of the pandemic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I will keep fingers crossed for you but I think the chances are slim that HAL could obtain such an exemption for what is non-essential travel.

I suspect you may be right.... not sure what this will mean for HAL's plan to get the Rotterdam back to the U.S. for cruises already scheduled out of FLL. The far majority of those booked on this transatlantic are from the U.S. I guess as a last resort, HAL could do the voyage with just crew onboard.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TJR_0323 said:

I suspect you may be right.... not sure what this will mean for HAL's plan to get the Rotterdam back to the U.S. for cruises already scheduled out of FLL. The far majority of those booked on this transatlantic are from the U.S. I guess as a last resort, HAL could do the voyage with just crew onboard.

Or pick up pax elsewhere….

• Like 2

Over in the river cruising forum we've been discussing this, and you can be in the Netherlands for 12 hrs. before you have to quarantine.  This allows people to transfer planes or trains without quarantining.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Roz said:

Over in the river cruising forum we've been discussing this, and you can be in the Netherlands for 12 hrs. before you have to quarantine.  This allows people to transfer planes or trains without quarantining.  

I read that on the NL government site as well.... but 12 hours isn't long enough for passengers coming from the U.S. the day prior to departure which is the norm.

Edited by TJR_0323
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Roz said:

As long as they stay in the terminal.  That's not possible if you are moving to a ship. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TJR_0323 said:

I read that on the NL government site as well.... but 12 hours isn't long enough for passengers coming from the U.S. the day prior to departure which is the norm.

If you are allowed to transfer to the ship within 12 hours (a big IF), the new norm might just have to become flying in the day of the cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roz said:

Over in the river cruising forum we've been discussing this, and you can be in the Netherlands for 12 hrs. before you have to quarantine.  This allows people to transfer planes or trains without quar

Just now, ontheweb said:

If you are allowed to transfer to the ship within 12 hours (a big IF), the new norm might just have to become flying in the day of the cruise.

the way I read it, transferring WITHIN the airport, to another flight.  Not really sure how transferring to the ship fits in with this directive.  The officials will have no way of checking if you are transferring to ship via HAL pre-arranged transportation.  That means you could be hopping in a cab, going to a hotel, etc - all of which would now require quarantine.   

Carol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

As Ipeeinthepools kindly pointed out, a point I had forgotten about, the 12 hour stipulation refers to staying in the airport, train station, bus depot. In other words, you can't roam the streets.

• Like 2

Just now, TJR_0323 said:

As Ipeeinthepools kindly pointed out, a point I had forgotten about, the 12 hour stipulation refers to staying in the airport, train station, bus depot. In other words, you can't roam the streets.

How about if the cruise line has a transfer bus from the airport to the ship? That would keep you off the streets. It seems to me that that is the only way it would work.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

How about if the cruise line has a transfer bus from the airport to the ship? That would keep you off the streets. It seems to me that that is the only way it would work.

That might work if your arriving the same day the ship departs..... not if you're staying the night before at a hotel in the city. 

Edited by TJR_0323
  • Like 1

We are not taking any chances.  We just contacted Delta Airlines and moved our flights from Seattle to AMS to FCO over to Seattle to ATL to FCO, bypassing The Netherlands altogether.  They just do not want passengers from the USA right now!  We will be flying back to Amsterdam next May for a cruise on the Volendam but right now, our Azamara cruise from Civitavecchia we will be flying through Atlanta instead.  

• Like 3