Carnival Now Accepting 2 At Home Covid Tests

sunonfire

23 minutes ago, Jamesatgsu said:

It is the same test we already knew they would accept. Been talked about here for weeks.

I'm just curious as to shipping time, since I'd rather not spend the money if I don't have to.

I ordered mine from optum on Saturday 9/4 and got them Tuesday 9/7 and that included labor day so pretty quick. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, funshipcruiser2 said:

I just looked at the test through the Optum website. Since the kit contains 2 tests can 2 passengers use 1 kit or do they have to purchase separate kits, not sure if they have a code that can only be used once.

Unless you need 2 tests for someone, each person takes a separate test, not kit. so if a kit has 2 tests, 2 people can take 1 test each.

17 minutes ago, funshipcruiser2 said:

I just looked at the test through the Optum website. Since the kit contains 2 tests can 2 passengers use 1 kit or do they have to purchase separate kits, not sure if they have a code that can only be used once.

Think of them as a 2 pack or 3 pack.  I got 3 and they are each in their own box.  Also buy extra.  I'm kicking myself because I bought a 3 pack for 3 people.  They can be defective or come back inconclusive.  I really want to buy an extra 1 or two just in case but my husband doesn't want to spend the extra money and so we are going to reserve time slots at CVS for the rapid.  But I'm not super comfortable with that as CVS can cancel or tell you last minute that they don't have the rapid tests.  So just plan ahead and do what works for you but if you are going to completely rely on the home tests, get some extras.  

10 minutes ago, rlindholm said:

Think of them as a 2 pack or 3 pack.  I got 3 and they are each in their own box.  Also buy extra.  I'm kicking myself because I bought a 3 pack for 3 people.  They can be defective or come back inconclusive.  I really want to buy an extra 1 or two just in case but my husband doesn't want to spend the extra money and so we are going to reserve time slots at CVS for the rapid.  But I'm not super comfortable with that as CVS can cancel or tell you last minute that they don't have the rapid tests.  So just plan ahead and do what works for you but if you are going to completely rely on the home tests, get some extras.

That's really good advice, thank you

1 hour ago, Jamesatgsu said:

It is the same test we already knew they would accept. Been talked about here for weeks.

I'm just curious as to shipping time, since I'd rather not spend the money if I don't have to.

I've seen other posts. Maybe because john said it now it is new information, when it's the same. 

But john said it. They didnt trust it when we said it lol

12 minutes ago, rlindholm said:

We have some false positives testing for vista this sat reported on my roll call. One positive who didnt pretest that I know of.

Good for false positives last minute.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

We have some false positives testing for vista this sat reported on my roll call. One positive who didnt pretest that I know of.

Good for false positives last minute.

How do they know the positive result was false?  Did they follow it up with the regular test (PCR if I remember correctly)?  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jamesatgsu said:

I orered the test on Saturday night and it arrived on Tuesday. I'm not sure if the holiday slowed it down. We are cruising Saturday.

43 minutes ago, wannagonow123 said:

I talked to a rep from emed, and he said they send each person 2 tests in the off chance that the proctor call drops or tele-call gets interrupted. Testing must be complete within 30 minutes or it is deemed invalid. They want you to have a spare just in case.

so 30 minutes of opening the box? we need it Christmas week. I am going to order thanksgiving. 

46 minutes ago, wannagonow123 said:

I talked to a rep from emed, and he said they send each person 2 tests in the off chance that the proctor call drops or tele-call gets interrupted. Testing must be complete within 30 minutes or it is deemed invalid. They want you to have a spare just in case.

could be wrong/things may have changed but

This is the first time I have seen this mentioned in dozens of posts and videos about the test.

In fact people have said they are glad they ordered extras because some read inconclusive or damaged in some way.

I do not believe if you order 6 tests they send 12 of them, unless its just extra test cards inside a single box.  Having watched multiple unboxing/testing videos I  haven't witnessed this or a mention of that.

1 hour ago, wannagonow123 said:

With all due respect, I’m not sure what information you were given or why, but that’s 100% incorrect. 

I’ve done the testing already using the BinaxNOW, twice. 

If you order one test, you get one test. If you order two tests, you get two tests. They do not send “extras.”

Also, not sure where you’re getting the 30 minutes from. You get the test, do not open it. Log on and once  a proctor joins the webcam they have you open it in front of them, they walk you through swabbing your nose and then they start a 15 minute timer. After 15 minutes a proctor rejoins and walks you through the results. 

The first time we did it there was a 7 minute wait for a proctor and start to finish was about 25 minutes. Second time we had a 35 minute wait for a proctor and start to finish was about an hour. 

Edited by surfjock27
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Pyxie said:

So you get same day results with these? I'm cruising in December and I'm kind of stressed out about finding an appointment 2 days before. This could be a great back up option.

Results are in 15 minutes and available instantly on the app. We got the email with the results about 5 minutes later. 

Have you never been on a zoom/video call that you lost connection? Yes, you open the box in front of the proctor. If you have started the test, and the call drops, you have to reconnect. If you do not get connected quickly, you have to start over as the proctor has not seen what has happened during the time the video chat is out. Not everyone has high speed internet available. I have to use satellite, so my connection is not as good as people with broadband.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wannagonow123 said:

Have you never been on a zoom/video call that you lost connection? Yes, you open the box in front of the proctor. If you have started the test, and the call drops, you have to reconnect. If you do not get connected quickly, you have to start over as the proctor has not seen what has happened during the time the video chat is out. Not everyone has high speed internet available. I have to use satellite, so my connection is not as good as people with broadband.

This is correct, if the call drops that is your fault not the proctors fault. If you have to start over then you have to provide a new test, not them. They do not provide you with extra tests. You can trust what someone told you or you can trust someone who had completed the testing twice already. Regardless, don’t spread hearsay, especially when this is so important to some people. 

These kits definitely do not have "extra" tests in them.  Every box has 1 test.    If call drops and you cannot get back into a proctor in time, then yes, you would need a back up test but it will be one you paid for and ordered specifically as a back up.   If your test is inconclusive, you will need to have a back up test to try again.

There are Binax Now SELF tests you can purchase off the shelf in drug stores that are not proctored and do not meet the standards for Carnival boarding.  Those tests come with a spare test kit inside and the instructions are for you to take the "2nd test" within a certain amount of time (a day or two I think) as the first test to confirm the results.  Same materials inside but NOT okay for Carnival cruising or travel and you do not get any official results on these.

We did the proctored home tests this morning.  Was connected with a proctor instantly.  My husband had to wait a couple of minutes for a proctor but not long.  I was done in less than 20 minutes with my results.  He was done in about 25 minutes.

This is why the packs come in 2's or 3's (or 6's) so you have at least one spare depending on how many people are going. Since testing has to be done within 2 days of sailing I highly recommend everyone having at least 1 spare just in case. Would suck to have to rush for an appointment last minute since there's no way you're getting it shipped again in time! 

I just wish the spares were still good for longer so we could use them for our cruise 6 months later and buy less extras!