Everything.. Norwegian Viva/Prima class #2

FreestyleNovice

Well I’m booked on the Prima for February, the Viva for August, the Viva in Feb 2024 🤓

Now to await number three...I’d think steel cutting would be underway?

I hope these ships successfully move NCL into the premium bracket🥂

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the Prima left the shipyard, can we expect that the Viva will soon leave the drydock and take the place vacated by the Prima?  Last I heard, the drydock has been filled.

If they want to remain on schedule, shouldn't we see the arrival of the first set of blocks for the Leonardo # 3?

3 hours ago, BenCoudon said:

Now that the Prima left the shipyard, can we expect that the Viva will soon leave the drydock and take the place vacated by the Prima?  Last I heard, the drydock has been filled.

If they want to remain on schedule, shouldn't we see the arrival of the first set of blocks for the Leonardo # 3?

Viva's place will be filled by Cunard's next ship "Queen Anne". 

Queen Anne is already a good bit assembled so it should occupy the dry-dock for much less time than Prima/Viva. Here is Queen Anne in Marghera already. 

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg_8gJpoPyd/

Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 3.29.55 PM.png

• Like 2

I wouldn't be surprised if the Leonardo 3 (and the subsequent ones) will be delayed by 3 to 6 months

Everyone else announched delays of new ships.  It will give time to shipyards and the supply chain to stabilize (and the bank account too)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steff79 said:

Not sure how big the dock at maghera is. It is possible that the third Leonardo is a Leonardo+ ship( at least there should come two +
Ships) and because of the bigger size they have to build them

at a other dock?

Prima is almost 200 feet shorter than the dock if my measurement is accurate, MORE than enough room to grow if they follow the Breakaway ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Fincantieri has more shipyards than me having pairs of socks.. :classic_laugh:

I am not sure what the plan is, what is progress being made at Tulcea (Romania)? Not much to find..

yeah, i know. but every year is coming a ship so i thought it is easier the build the Leonardo  serie at the same place.

i think Leonardo 3 should start somewhere these days or they move the ship a year?

Edited by Steff79

3 minutes ago, Steff79 said:

yeah, i know. but every year is coming a ship so i thought it is easier the build the Leonardo  serie at the same place.

i think Leonardo 3 should start somewhere these days or they move the ship a year?

Where are the blocks for the Queen Anne built?  They seem to have arrived in Venice more assembled than the Prima and Viva.  Could they do the same with Leonardo 3?

On 8/20/2022 at 4:38 PM, BenCoudon said:

Prima is due to depart Southampton at about 20.00 UK time. Will be covered on Solent Ships webcam with commentary.

With regards to Prima 3 - There is about an additional six month gap between Prima 2 and 3 than there is with Prima and Viva.  P3 is expected Q4 2023, meaning they can squeeze in Queen Anne, which is due 2024-Q1.

Below is the ORIGINAL dates, not taking into consideration of the current Prima & Viva delays.

Prima - 2022-Q3

Viva - 2023-Q2

P3 - 2024-Q4

P4 - 2025-Q3

P5 - 2026-Q3

P6 - 2027-Q2

1 hour ago, Beezo said:

With regards to Prima 3 - There is about an additional six month gap between Prima 2 and 3 than there is with Prima and Viva.  P3 is expected Q4 2023, meaning they can squeeze in Queen Anne, which is due 2024-Q1.

Below is the ORIGINAL dates, not taking into consideration of the current Prima & Viva delays.

Prima - 2022-Q3

Viva - 2023-Q2

P3 - 2024-Q4

P4 - 2025-Q3

P5 - 2026-Q3

P6 - 2027-Q2

During roughly the same period, they have to do 3 more ships:  2 for Oceania and 1 for Regent.  The Oceania Vista has her maiden voyage scheduled for April 2023.

She should be near completion somewhere else at Fincantieri

Edited by BenCoudon
  • Like 1

I’m fully fascinated by the shape of the REAR third of these ships, the cyclindrical hotel, the circular deck on top (which is probably Haven so I’ll never get to see it), and immensely love (!!!) the full-surround boardwalk which Norwegian has been SORELY lacking.

Regarding the front of the hull, am I the only one who finds it lovable solely due to its ugliness?  And I’m confused how the people on the very-center-front deck are going to stay dry.  Just saying… if I’m water, and the front of that ship comes at me, I’m gonna take the path of least resistance & run up the center front onto the deck…

I was underwhelmed seeing the blue artwork on the Prima hull.  1) The design doesn’t look like anything tangible to me.  2). Just what we don’t need, another blue paint job.

But now, seeing similar swirly graphics on Viva, and very similar color, I’m not just underwhelmed, I’m frustrated.  Or rather, majorly disappointed in the branding.  FOR ME, one of the great things about sailing NCL is coming back to your ship after a shore excursion, seeing the playful exuberance on the hull and being proud to ride such a lively animal compared to the other dull-looking ships at the pier.  But lately, with every NCL being blu & white, it’s drab.

Having said all that, I hope I don’t have to wait 10 years before prices come down enuf for me to ride!  Congrats all who are sailing her early cruises.  I hope those of you whose cruises got cancelled because of the maiden delay can easily get similar rooms on the NEW maiden date..  Kinda a bummer to have the inaugural voyage booked and then get it pulled out from under…

Edited by styxfire

I watched the video of the Prima in Southampton......

Shes not a pretty ship, but imposing and should standout wherever she goes. The hull art....taking it down the entire length of the ship is in my opinion over kill.

I have to give credit to NCL......they make her unique among new builds.....Celebrity Edge class looks simplistic by comparison.

Im anxious to sail on the Prima in February...she should have her act all together by the.

My Viva cruise being cancelled Ana led me to book the new maiden voyage......which I’m excited about. I sailed maiden voyages on many ships years ago when a new build was unique, rare and a new design to experience. Now they are routine, but since I haven’t sailed a maiden voyage since the Solstice....I’m excited.

As for Leonardo 3....if it’s coming in the 4th qtr 2024....maybe she will head to Miami for her start up......if so I’ll be on it.

Thank you NCL for the solo cabins......

• Thanks 1