2023 world cruise on Zuiderdam?

Hflors

I just saw that the 2023 world cruise will be on Zuiderdam.  Was there any discussion on the subject?   I have been away from the boards for the last two months after the passing of my husband.  Can someone share the link to the discussion?

1 hour ago, Hflors said:

I just saw that the 2023 world cruise will be on Zuiderdam.  Was there any discussion on the subject?   I have been away from the boards for the last two months after the passing of my husband.  Can someone share the link to the discussion?

The discussion starts on page 54 of the roll call.   My condolences on your loss.

6 hours ago, Hflors said:

Very sorry to hear about your husband.

21 minutes ago, carnivaljunkie said:

When will segments of the world cruise be announced?

Not sure if the will even sell segments as you have two years of pent up demand and lots of FCC floating around.  We were waitlisted for a segment from FLL to Sydney but decided to cancel.  After that the segments disappeared. 

I don't know if the Zuiderdam world cruise will happen. First of all this means most likely that the Zaandam and Volendam will be gone, secondly, these Vista ships are not really built for long haul cruises, they need to be in a major port every 10 to 14 days for new supplies which makes it harder to go on a long cruise. Personally I think that Hal wants to drop the world cruises and concentrate on the big ships doing short cruises and eventually end up as part of Princess.

Sorry for the loss of your husband.

I have a deposit for the 2023 cruise.  Mine has not been activated.  I assume now and assumed even when I put down the deposit that there would be too many people from 2020, 2021 and 2022 bookings to fill demand.  

1 hour ago, Sir PMP said:

I don't know if the Zuiderdam world cruise will happen. First of all this means most likely that the Zaandam and Volendam will be gone, secondly, these Vista ships are not really built for long haul cruises, they need to be in a major port every 10 to 14 days for new supplies which makes it harder to go on a long cruise. Personally I think that Hal wants to drop the world cruises and concentrate on the big ships doing short cruises and eventually end up as part of Princess.

Bolding is mine.  I don’t think it necessarily means the Zaandam and Volendam will be gone.  I’m not saying they won’t be - my crystal ball is fuzzy but……….

They have so many world cruisers that have been rebooked for several world cruises that I suspect they need a ship the size of a Vista to accommodate them all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Bolding is mine.  I don’t think it necessarily means the Zaandam and Volendam will be gone.  I’m not saying they won’t be - my crystal ball is fuzzy but……….

They have so many world cruisers that have been rebooked for several world cruises that I suspect they need a ship the size of a Vista to accommodate them all.

I hope you're right..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hflors said:

I have been away from the boards for the last two months after the passing of my husband.  

My sympathies to you.  I hope his passing was not due to the virus.  

8 hours ago, kazu said:

I think you are correct.  I would not be surprised to see Rotterdam VII eventually be assigned for this cruise.  

9 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

these Vista ships are not really built for long haul cruises, they need to be in a major port every 10 to 14 days for new supplies which makes it harder to go on a long cruise.

Yes, that is what this Class of ships was that type of itinerary for which they were designed.  As long as the positioning of containers of needed supplies can be arranged in various ports en route--as has been done--any of their ships can fulfill a world cruise itinerary.  

(An experience from 2002 Volendam's Asia Pacific Cruise when a container did not meet the ship because of a dock worker's strike on the West Coast.  We ran out of Western style of toilet paper.  Housekeeping had to go ashore in China and buy some Chinese toilet paper.  One more interesting travel experience for me.)

• Like 2

On 9/15/2021 at 8:21 PM, rkacruiser said:

We ran out of Western style of toilet paper.  Housekeeping had to go ashore in China and buy some Chinese toilet paper.  One more interesting travel experience for me.

Totally off topic here, but I remember back in the 6th grade our History Teacher would travel the world during her summer off and collected various samples of the toilet paper from the locations she visited. The only thing that I still remember all these years later, was the sample she acquired in Russia. It was brown and the paper lunch bags I used at that time would have provided a softer experience for wiping your bum. She remarked that one of the essential for her packing was several rolls of toilet paper, but sometimes they would disappear from her luggage, especially when travelling in Eastern European countries. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1