Princess Vacation Planner helpful or woeful?

CeCe_

We put on hold two b2b cabins yesterday and immediately got a call this morning wanted to "finalize" the deal for us.  It is getting so annoying although we have requested to be on the no-call list. we are getting calls anyway.

If you mean the federal no-call list, it does not apply to companies with whom you are doing business, such as Princess.

I received an email and telephone call from a Princess Vacation Planner offering to help me with a cancelled Hawaii Christmas cruise this year. He was very helpful. He booked me on the replacement cruise next year - something that the normal Princess representatives were not able to do. The booking does not show the price protection yet, but it does have the cabin reserved. If I had not talked with the Vacation Planner, there may not have been any cabins available by the time they processed my replacement cruise - I got the last Vista suite available. I will be sailing in a Vista suite on the Crown Princess as a replacement for my cancelled cruise in a Window suite on the Grand Princess, so the price protection is extremely important.

This is one time I appreciate them reaching out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was referring to the no-call list in the Princess Vacation Planner department because we have been getting so many calls from different planners.  Sound like you have a great planner.  Did he ask you for those common security questions we normally setup to validate when accessing websites?  A few examples of the security questions are "pet name", "high school name", "where you meet your spouse", "best friend's name", etc...  When a planner who I hardly know asked me those questions, my guard was up immediately as I considered those are personal and sensitive that I am less interested to share with anyone.  I feel that I should not be asked for questions like that.

I wonder if anyone had the same experience.

Edited by CeCe_

59 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

I was referring to the no-call list in the Princess Vacation Planner department because we have been getting so many calls from different planners.  Sound like you have a great planner.  Did he ask you for those common security questions we normally setup to validate when accessing websites?  A few examples of the security questions are "pet name", "high school name", "where you meet your spouse", "best friend's name", etc...  When a planner who I hardly know asked me those questions, my guard was up immediately as I considered those are personal and sensitive that I am less interested to share with anyone.  I feel that I should not be asked for questions like that.

I wonder if anyone had the same experience.

I can't see where asking the questions you mentioned is so intrusive.  After all they are not asking for your SSN. bank account or credit card numbers or anything else that has potential financial or privacy implications.

DON

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I think, like any business, they have their A's, B's and some D's.  This is evident from various CC posters here over the recent years. 

Absolutely true. We’re very happy with ours (he cruises on Princess himself). We have a friend whose PVP was a complete dud. YMMV

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

I can't see where asking the questions you mentioned is so intrusive.  After all they are not asking for your SSN. bank account or credit card numbers or anything else that has potential financial or privacy implications.

DON

I am still not convinced that a planner has the need to know.

I have to agree with you.  WHY would they need to know your Security Answers?🤔

Whenever I deal with reservations, or banking, they ask for Birthdate, or phone# or Address.

I would Not feel comfortable answering questions like that to a "supposed" pvp.

My radar would go up and I would think its a scam.

28 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

1 minute ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

I have to agree with you.  WHY would they need to know your Security Answers?🤔

Whenever I deal with reservations, or banking, they ask for Birthdate, or phone# or Address.

I would Not feel comfortable answering questions like that to a "supposed" pvp.

My radar would go up and I would think its a scam.

If I call into Princess and ask a rep to pull up my booking, they always ask my birthdate as a verification. 

• Like 1

There was a TV show called Cold Call that showed ways scammers collect information bit by bit. In one example when an older lady answered the phone she heard 'Hi is this Mrs. Green' 'No I am her Mother "Oh so your name is not Green' - 'No I am Mrs. Brown'. Now the scammer has Mrs. Green's maiden name. Several other similar calls gathered other information.

Never ever volunteer information when you do not initiate the call !

• Like 4

4 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

Correct.  Your BD for verification, when I contact THEM.

If someone Calls me out of the blue, who says they are a PVP,  and goes on to

inquire about my Security answers?   Do you see the difference?🤭

I think this is point op is trying to make.

I am wondering if the call was really from Princess or was it actually a scammer trying to social engineer responses to questions that would allow them to perpetuate a fraud.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CeCe_ said:

If you place a call to a company you do business with, that is a normal way to verify who you are. Emphasis on that you placed the call.

If someone calls you and asks questions like that, you should never answer them as you have no idea who is really calling you.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Tedferg said:

scammers collect information bit by bit.

Absolutely!   Almost all websites use security questions, and it is the most important step after the standard login, the system further filter out illegitimate access by verifying Security questions.  

22 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

If I call into Princess and ask a rep to pull up my booking, they always ask my birthdate as a verification. 

If someone has your BD and they know your bank from the credit cards on file, now they have the answers to the security questions, imagine how vulnerable it can be.

18 hours ago, brisalta said:

I am wondering if the call was really from Princess or was it actually a scammer trying to social engineer responses to questions that would allow them to perpetuate a fraud.

It was a real call from Princess Vacation Planner because after I hung up the phone, I called the number again, gave the planner's name and verified it was from a call from Princess vacation planner department.

Edited by CeCe_

18 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

If someone has your BD and they know your bank from the credit cards on file, now they have the answers to the security questions, imagine how vulnerable it can be.

Banks usually ask additional questions about the account such as an entry detail or other info about your banking relationship.  At least mine does.

16 hours ago, caribill said:

If you place a call to a company you do business with, that is a normal way to verify who you are. Emphasis on that you placed the call.

If someone calls you and asks questions like that, you should never answer them as you have no idea who is really calling you.

I agree.  I never gave any information to that person.

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Banks usually ask additional questions about the account such as an entry detail or other info about your banking relationship.  At least mine does.

My banks do the same.  And I called them for services; they need to verify that I was the real person.  

21 hours ago, milolii said:

The only person I have talked to is the same PVP,  unless I Initiated the call. 

Even if I initiated the call to a planner, It is still a tough call if I want to leave behind security information about myself.  It is not a banker that I already know; all a planner needs is to find the best deals for me, nothing more.  There is no need for a planner, no matter how close we were, to know too much about myself.

Edited by CeCe_

5 hours ago, CeCe_ said:

Which is why is can be a big problem when a company's computer systems are hacked. That ID info cab then be out on the dark web for sale or just used by the hacker.

And this has happened to many companies, from Carnival Corp. to Target to airlines to etc.

On 9/16/2021 at 2:38 PM, CeCe_ said:

Did he ask you for those common security questions we normally setup to validate when accessing websites?  A few examples of the security questions are "pet name", "high school name", "where you meet your spouse", "best friend's name", etc...  When a planner who I hardly know asked me those questions, my guard was up immediately as I considered those are personal and sensitive that I am less interested to share with anyone.  I feel that I should not be asked for questions like that.

Just make up answers: example: your pet's name...correct answer is Reggie, answer with Fred. Use the fake answers for any company requesting info that doesn't involve your $$ or security. Correct answers for your bank, etc. Fake answers for "Joe Blow".

On 9/16/2021 at 8:50 PM, CeCe_ said:

You were correct in being suspicious. Those security questions are only used to access your login account information if you forget your password or user ID.  However they could have been using the questions to verify that they were speaking to you and not just anyone who picked up the phone.

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Just make up answers: example: your pet's name...correct answer is Reggie, answer with Fred. Use the fake answers for any company requesting info that doesn't involve your $$ or security. Correct answers for your bank, etc. Fake answers for "Joe Blow".

When I have a login with those questions for verification, I pretty much answer anything to a question even if nonsensical.  It doesn't have to be a "correct" answer - you just have to give the correct response when asked based on what you setup.  

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Yes I can, but If i am not comfortable with the requests, i want to be upfront not playing their game than giving a fake answer.   I have asked to take us off the call list several times, still getting calls regardless.  

5 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

This is where a good password manager is so useful. You can securely store this information on your devices. I can’t remember all of my answers, so at least I can retrieve it. I’m paranoid, so I refuse to store this information in the cloud. 

• Like 1