Live feed from the Grand Princess 9/25 and 9/30 cruises

Cruise Raider

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

I think everything that is posted is in flux right now.  They are definitely  trying to make it as easy on passengers in keeping with the ever changing CDC rules.  We didn’t know of the procedure for the testing until last night as they were still working on the details.  
We are planners so it is hard for us to not know exactly how things are going to be handled.  But, if CoVid has taught us anything, it has taught us how to go with the flow.  We went from 2 weeks to slow the spread to what was close to a complete lockdown.  Life is so much better now … thankfully!  

I am glad I am not the only planner!  I have already begun setting things out weeks ago in my packing room!  Now, if I have to put it all back.  Lots of planning for 42 days of b2bs.

• Like 1

I'm really surprised at the 1 or 2 day delay in testing. One question did you have get

off the ship? If so was it for a quick passport check or a longer wait. 

Be nice if they did the check on the ship while in the Vista. Glad your having a good cruise.

I love the Old Grand. One thing that's been nice before is the crew loved working on her.

Hope it's the same now.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Belle said:

I'm really surprised at the 1 or 2 day delay in testing. One question did you have get

off the ship? If so was it for a quick passport check or a longer wait. 

Be nice if they did the check on the ship while in the Vista. Glad your having a good cruise.

I love the Old Grand. One thing that's been nice before is the crew loved working on her.

Hope it's the same now.

We did have to disembark, leave the terminal, go back into the terminal, through security and to a waiter area in the terminal.  We were all led back onto the ship with our in transit cards and binged back onto the ship with our medallions … the process all took place within an hour.  
The crew is fantastic!  
we just finished our embarkation lunch in the DaVinci dining room.  While my tradition has always been to get the salmon, I switched it up and chose the chicken cacciatore for a change and now have a new tradition!  Wow … it was great, as was the service from Francisco and Tony.  Both great waiters but we also love Marina and Jose as well as Pablo and Angelique. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

I am glad I am not the only planner!  I have already begun setting things out weeks ago in my packing room!  Now, if I have to put it all back.  Lots of planning for 42 days of b2bs.

My husband is a "master planner" and is trying to adjust to the ever changing rules. We were going to cancel our January B2B cruises but now we are planning to go ahead and pay the balance due (I'm crossing fingers and toes that it all works out). Good luck everyone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We did have to disembark, leave the terminal, go back into the terminal, through security and to a waiter area in the terminal.  We were all led back onto the ship with our in transit cards and binged back onto the ship with our medallions … the process all took place within an hour.  
The crew is fantastic!  
we just finished our embarkation lunch in the DaVinci dining room.  While my tradition has always been to get the salmon, I switched it up and chose the chicken cacciatore for a change and now have a new tradition!  Wow … it was great, as was the service from Francisco and Tony.  Both great waiters but we also love Marina and Jose as well as Pablo and Angelique. 

That is normal procedure for San Pedro.  I would not have expected otherwise.

Are you in Club Class Dining with Francisco?  If so, he was our favorite too.

43 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

That is normal procedure for San Pedro.  I would not have expected otherwise.

Are you in Club Class Dining with Francisco?  If so, he was our favorite too.

I believe it is.  Last time we sailed out of San Pedro, we saw a group of passengers that were in transit all seated in a separate section in the terminal and they were allowed to board before everyone else.  

We are not in Club Class dining but Francisco certainly knew what he was doing and the dining room was pretty empty so, I could have been him.  
we’ve had such great service … it’s hard to pick a favorite, although we have had them.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, cruzmore99 said:

My husband is a "master planner" and is trying to adjust to the ever changing rules. We were going to cancel our January B2B cruises but now we are planning to go ahead and pay the balance due (I'm crossing fingers and toes that it all works out). Good luck everyone.

I just don’t think that rule for the same cabin applies once you are onboard.  We were upgraded but chose to stay in the same cabin for both legs, unless of course, it was an upgrade to a full suite.  Then, we’d be more than happy to move.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just saw on FB that the Sept 30th sailing did have a most travelled passenger luncheon.  I’m not sure of the number of days required for the invite but we are only in the 200’s and we were not invited.  I think it may have started around 400+ days.  We’ve got a long way to go!  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I just saw on FB that the Sept 30th sailing did have a most travelled passenger luncheon.  I’m not sure of the number of days required for the invite but we are only in the 200’s and we were not invited.  I think it may have started around 400+ days.  We’ve got a long way to go!  

These cruises have a large amount of Elite cruisers - in the past we seem to have about a 50-50 chance of making most traveled with around 400 days.  In the past Alaska cruises have had a lower amount of Elite cruisers since it is seen my many as a "bucket list" cruise. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, memoak said:

These cruises have a large amount of Elite cruisers - in the past we seem to have about a 50-50 chance of making most traveled with around 400 days.  In the past Alaska cruises have had a lower amount of Elite cruisers since it is seen my many as a "bucket list" cruise. 

The initial Alaska cruise on the Majestic this year had a lot of elite passengers … the most travelled passenger had nearly 2000 days onboard.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

We’ve got a long way to go!  

As you probably know it’s the journey along the way getting there that’s most important. 😊

We’re approaching 500 days & generally take longer cruises so the more we sail the further away we get from another MTG event invitation. 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pspatti said:

Does anyone know if I would be able to extend my time onboard by booking the next cruise while I am already onboard.  In other words, a B2B while I am already sailing on the first leg ...   Thanks - - -

This has already been done on the initial Majestic sailings to Alaska.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pspatti said:

Does anyone know if I would be able to extend my time onboard by booking the next cruise while I am already onboard.  In other words, a B2B while I am already sailing on the first leg ...   Thanks - - -

I booked a second leg with my TA on the way out of the San Pedro Chanel.  I am guessing you could do it with the Future Cruise agent (or whatever they are called now) while on board.  The only problems would be:

1.  Getting the same cabin so you don't have to move

2.  Do it before the passenger list is submitted to TSA (a day before?)

3.  The price is right

4.  Do you have enough clothes and medications (as we get older...ugh)

5.  IF you are going to do that...be sure to purchase your FCD in the first hour so you can apply it to your booking.

6.  Have a great time.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

5.  IF you are going to do that...be sure to purchase your FCD in the first hour so you can apply it to your booking

I am pretty sure can do it at the same time.  In truth, I am not sure the FCD is actually purchased, but guests ends up in the same position.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

The September 25 sailing had the MTP luncheon.  We attended.  About 440 days was the cutoff.  I heard the current sailing will have a specialty dining voucher for the top 40 most travelled.

2 hours ago, BrandiGreg said:

The September 25 sailing had the MTP luncheon.  We attended.  About 440 days was the cutoff.  I heard the current sailing will have a specialty dining voucher for the top 40 most travelled.

My mistake … I couldn’t edit it by the time I noticed it. 

2 hours ago, BrandiGreg said:

The current Sept 30 embarkation sailing being only 4 days was previously reported by @manuniain post #119, the top 20 will receive a specialty dining voucher. It is actually the top 10 and guest , making for a potential total of 20 people. A passenger traveling solo who makes the cut, can find a guest or dine alone, so the total may not be 20.

• Like 1

My medallion was not received at my home, either was lost in transit or porch pirate.

My last sailing on Royal out of San Pedro January 2020, those passengers were able to have a medallion made on the spot for them at the pier. Today, I received a cruise card to enable boarding and told to go to guest services on board for them to ‘make’ my medallion. Once on board, it was only a couple of minutes at guest services and I had my medallion.

If you elected to pick up your medallion at the pier, it should be already made and the staff should be able to search the files to retrieve like the old days when they searched for your cruise card.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

How are back to backs in different cabins being handled?  There are 80 of you...so hopefully someone will chime in.  Thanks.

we met in the Vista Lounge and were disembarked as a group, through CBP checkpoints, guided back into the terminal, through security and into a small waiting area until the ship was cleared.  We were then the first to reboard.  The entire process was completed within an hour.  

Cabin changes are allowed after all but it is so much nicer to not have to move your stuff to another room once settled in.  

Testing will be performed on the ship, either today or tomorrow in the Botacelli dining room for those on the second leg of the sailing.  You set up your testing date during the disembarkation at the end of first leg.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 2

A huge thank you to everyone that is posting from the ship. I can hardly wait for my cruise at the end of the month. I think if the crew claps and cheers when we board, I will start crying. My heart is filled with gratitude for all of the people that work so hard for us to have a wonderful and much needed vacation. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, srpilo said:

Still sip & cover on the 2nd leg  ?

Yes...it really is not that big of a deal but most people aren't doing it actually and I have not observed any enforcement.   Mainly masks when going from place to place, elevators, hallways, or in non- drinking/eating locations, etc.  I think what works best is just common sense that 90% of us use anyway.

• Like 3