If I book with Holland America, will they let me make 3 or for payments between now and final payment? I

steve4031

I just had an unpleasant experience with a travel agency.  I had paid the deposit, and then mentioned that I would like to make two or three payments to spread out the cost over 3 or 4 payments for a cruse costing approximately 7,600 dollars.  The TA told me they could not do this.  I have asked them to cancel the booking and refund their travel agent fee.  I was rather annoyed because I have done this on several of my previous cruises that I booked through a  different TA. that I discovered on cruise critic. 

Is it a correct assumption that Holland America would allow me to make several payments between deposit and final payment?   

Thank you

Just now, Cruise Suzy said:

Yes - I have done it.

Thank you, Cruise Suzy.  As soon as I get my money back from my travel agent I will be booking directly with Holland America.  I think I am done with TA's permanently.  

• Like 2

Just now, sandiego1 said:

Get a better travel agent. We have also applied multiple payments

They have already been fired.  I need to have more confidence in my abilities.  And everyone on here gives better information anyway.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steve4031 said:

Thank you, Cruise Suzy.  As soon as I get my money back from my travel agent I will be booking directly with Holland America.  I think I am done with TA's permanently.  

Don't totally give up on Travel Agents, there are plenty of good ones out there. Mine lets me pay whatever I want, whenever I want. No problems at all

Wow on your former TA.  Yes, HAL will let you do that and so will a number of good TA’s.  I have to since my next cruise is more than my credit card limit (and it’s pretty high).  My TA gets it and has never given me a hard time every on making two payments 😉

• Like 1

I appreciate the support.  Please do not risk getting in trouble on my behalf.  I know that I can do this with research on cruise critic and using the deck plans.  

A third issue is that I was informed that I could not use cruise air because I was flying in a day early.  The TA stated I would have to pay for a hotel package with the air fare. IIRC this is not the case.  The issue with cruise air is not always having the best flight choices.  

You can pay as often as you would like.  Easy to do online. Go to holland america site, click already booked , either go to account or manage bookings, select booking # and find make a payment and enter info.

I did this for the 1st time this year as I have several booked for the next 2 years and I can use different cc depending on where I want to get points. Plus I don't have to bother PCC

23 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

A third issue is that I was informed that I could not use cruise air because I was flying in a day early.  The TA stated I would have to pay for a hotel package with the air fare. IIRC this is not the case.  The issue with cruise air is not always having the best flight choices.  

Wow, your former TA is clueless. You can absolutely book early flight arrivals with Fight Ease. As long as your date is like within 300-330 days of today. You can even book arriving in a different city if you are a few days early (example arrive in Rome 3 days before for Venice sailing). One thing to pay attention to is you have to specify the date you arrive in your destination, not the date you leave your home airport.

Edited by vicd1969
Added more details
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

Wow, your former TA is clueless. You can absolutely book early flight arrivals with Fight Ease. As long as your date is like within 300-330 days of today. You can even book arriving in a different city if you are a few days early (example arrive in Rome 3 days before for Venice sailing). One thing to pay attention to is you have to specify the date you arrive in your destination, not the date you leave your home airport.

That is what I thought too.  They are kind of snooty and disingenuous.  The guy who owns the company says he stands behind his company's work.  They primarily assist with air, and had encouraged me to book a cruise with them when I contacted them to help me get decent flights to Vancouver for a cruise that was canceled due to Covid.  So I tried them this time.  When I get my money back I am going to email them this topic thread so they can see just how pathetic they are.  LOL.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, scubadawg said:

You can pay as often as you would like.  Easy to do online. Go to holland america site, click already booked , either go to account or manage bookings, select booking # and find make a payment and enter info.

I did this for the 1st time this year as I have several booked for the next 2 years and I can use different cc depending on where I want to get points. Plus I don't have to bother PCC

you can only do this if you are booked directly with HAL. Most TA websites have a similar function, at least mine does.

37 minutes ago, steve4031 said:

Using cruise air I regularly fly in 2 days or more early and often the day after the cruise. In addition, they can book you from cities other than the port city. On a canceled cruise that ended in Amsterdam I was scheduled to fly out of Paris a week later after some touring in the area.

18 minutes ago, richwmn said:

you can only do this if you are booked directly with HAL. Most TA websites have a similar function, at least mine does.

good point. I have a PCC and then pretty much take care of everything myself after initial deposit.

I took a look at flight ease.  For Chicago to Vancouver for the August 6, 2022 departure of the Konigsdam I did not see any great deals.  I think flying in the day before on an 9 a.m. flight out of Ohare and then flying back from Vancouver the day after we return is easiest.  The later flights out of Vancouver all require connections.  If I leave the next day I can get an earlier non-stop flight without stress.  Then if United changes the flights i can manage it without to much stress..  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve4031 said:

You need a new TA.  They have no clue.  You can certainly fly in earlier and fly out later as well.  You do NOT need to book HAL’s hotel.

In fact, you don’t even need to use your TA to book flight ease - you can do it on the HAL website whether you have booked with a TA or not .

• Like 2

Rather than pay online, I would recommend the personal touch by using at least a PCC. A known point of contact is really helpful. We have a really good PCC now that schedules final payment conversations to add insurance and also when flights are available.

Like some here on the forum, we do have more than one cruise scheduled at a time. For example we were considering the 2023 31-day South America cruise. I noticed the 15-day and 17-day segments that comprise the 31-day had more staterooms available. Confirming what I found online, checking both sailings he was able to show what was actually available. Should we actually book it, he could go to Inventory Control to release our choice. Booking online we would have what the computer showed.

Also on our upcoming Koningsdam cruise, while booking it with him he actually noticed a special Mariner's rate lower than the non-refundable rate but still refundable. That is what we actually did and saved us money to boot!