Celebrity MDR - social distancing?

Zhaan

10 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

Another big problem on a cruise ( or any hi-rise) is the elevators.  We live in a building and everyone respects those who wish to be alone in the elevator. I'd like to see what would happen if you told cruisers they couldn't get on with you. There would be a mutiny! I would look for a safer vacation environment. I wish you the best.

What we did when we were on a B3B for 3 weeks on the Edge in August was to make riding the elevators a game. We would only get on the elevator if no one was on it. Then if someone decided to get on the elevator before we reached our floor, we would get off at that floor, then walk the rest of the way using the stairs. I know, we shouldn’t have to do that, but we wanted to keep having a great time and that was just one way we avoided the stress of riding the elevator. 😎

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

What we did when we were on a B3B for 3 weeks on the Edge in August was to make riding the elevators a game. We would only get on the elevator if no one was on it. Then if someone decided to get on the elevator before we reached our floor, we would get off at that floor, then walk the rest of the way using the stairs. I know, we shouldn’t have to do that, but we wanted to keep having a great time and that was just one way we avoided the stress of riding the elevator. 😎

That was good thinking!  But we don't know if the OP can do the stairs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cantstopingcruising said:

Another big problem on a cruise ( or any hi-rise) is the elevators.  We live in a building and everyone respects those who wish to be alone in the elevator. I'd like to see what would happen if you told cruisers they couldn't get on with you. There would be a mutiny! I would look for a safer vacation environment. I wish you the best.

You understand that in order to get COVID, you have to be exposed for a period of time, right? Unless the other people in the elevator cough directly on you or something, you are incredibly unlikely to be exposed to enough viral load to become infected in the amount of time it takes to ride an elevator. Especially if you and all the people on the elevator with you are vaccinated. Sitting next to people for a period of time in a restaurant, I can understand being concerned. Riding in an elevator for under a minute with people who are all vaccinated is a very low risk activity. That being said, with the lower capacity on ships right now, elevator crowding on a cruise is not what it used to be. It should be easy enough to avoid elevators with more than a couple of people on them at a time.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

You understand that in order to get COVID, you have to be exposed for a period of time, right? Unless the other people in the elevator cough directly on you or something, you are incredibly unlikely to be exposed to enough viral load to become infected in the amount of time it takes to ride an elevator. Especially if you and all the people on the elevator with you are vaccinated. Sitting next to people for a period of time in a restaurant, I can understand being concerned. Riding in an elevator for under a minute with people who are all vaccinated is a very low risk activity. That being said, with the lower capacity on ships right now, elevator crowding on a cruise is not what it used to be. It should be easy enough to avoid elevators with more than a couple of people on them at a time.

I rarely use elevators on the ship.  Taking the stairs helps with exercise. 

• Like 1

Flexiblity in dining time helps too.  Whenever we have wanted a particular table if we could dine after 8 we have gotten our choice.  May not be necessary on low capacity cruises but has worked in the past.  Also Celebrity's buffet at night is nice with a very good grill station and lots of seating.

28 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

. Riding in an elevator for under a minute with people who are all vaccinated is a very low risk activity

But there might be a higher risk of being caught up in contact tracing. They haven't really specified how they decide who to pull aside, as I recall. An elevator ride for a few floors would be pretty identifiable.

But the greater health benefit is to use stairs anyway--and let the people who can't walk use the elevators with much less hassle than they have faced pre-P.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

But there might be a higher risk of being caught up in contact tracing

For contact tracing, one needs to be within 6 feet of an infected person for a total of 15 minutes or more. That's an awful lot of elevator rides with the same person.

• Thanks 1

Just now, RichYak said:

For contact tracing, one needs to be within 6 feet of an infected person for a total of 15 minutes or more. That's an awful lot of elevator rides with the same person.

If they have announced that standard, I sit corrected! But the 2nd part of my post still means we will be stair-ing.

8 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

If they have announced that standard

It's the CDC standard. There's no reason to believe that X has veered from CDC guidelines just on this one issue while adhering to them in every other respect.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RichYak said:

It's the CDC standard. There's no reason to believe that X has veered from CDC guidelines just on this one issue while adhering to them in every other respect.

Celebrity indeed follows the CDC standard for identifying a 'close contact'.  It's 15mins or longer in a 24 hour period (accumulative).  This is what we were told by the Guest Relations Mgr in August when my hubby was deemed a close contact.

• Like 1

I was on a the 7/24 edge sailing and fellow pax did a B2B 7/24 and 7/31 and reported the drastic experiences between both.  7/24 required no masks (for the vaxed) or covid tests to board.  7/31 was the first cruise they implement required covid tests to board and the crew had to wear masks

7/24: MDR dining, they would pack people into sections only opening a new section once the other sections were completely full

7/31: MDR dining, they spaced people out more, particularly those areas where two person tables which can be less than two feet apart