Does Medicare cover covid rapid molecular test(Abbott ID now) and/or rapid antigen test done at a Walgreens or Cvs

jawsbad

17 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

First...no correlation between cruising and testing.  You test to see if you are positive for COVID.  What you choose to do with your positive or negative results are totally separate entities.

2nd.....while I test via my Family Physician, who turns around my PCR tests between 12-16 hours, my Walgreens offers tests at no charge (for U.S. residents).  CVS is similar.

This is all part of combating the virus (which, because of testing and vaccinations becoming more common with the general populace).  As a result, deaths are now dropping in the U.S. after these efforts over the last several months.

https://www.walgreens.com/topic/promotion/covid-testing.jsp?ban=covidfy21_newtestingpg_brandstory_main_10.03.21

That people are having to test and be vaccinated before sailing is a tiny subset of the general population.  But, it's a welcome one to those of us who enjoy cruising.

I agree. I don't think there's any such thing as "wasting" testing. The college campus I work on tests everyone, every Monday/Tuesday. Testing helps to identify cases and mitigate spread. Getting tested to go on a cruise is not a selfish act. You are doing it to protect the hundreds of other people onboard as well as those you may encounter on the way to/from the pier. If anything, we should be doing significantly more testing throughout the country. Testing shouldn't be considered a luxury. It is a necessity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

I agree. I don't think there's any such thing as "wasting" testing. The college campus I work on tests everyone, every Monday/Tuesday. Testing helps to identify cases and mitigate spread. Getting tested to go on a cruise is not a selfish act. You are doing it to protect the hundreds of other people onboard as well as those you may encounter on the way to/from the pier. If anything, we should be doing significantly more testing throughout the country. Testing shouldn't be considered a luxury. It is a necessity.

Totally agree.    As a country, we've really been behind the eight ball when it comes to testing.  It is shameful that most stores are out of home test kits.    It should be much easier for Americans to get tested.

• Thanks 1

Stores are not only out of COVID Test Kits, just take a stroll around any market and look at all the empty shelves.   Prices have also gone up 20-30% on most products.   Gasoline has almost just about doubled from last year.   Cruise prices are looking like a bargain compared to everything else.

22 hours ago, jawsbad said:

Are these tests covered by Medicare or secondary insurance

Would be best for you to call your insurance provider.   We have Kaiser Senior Advantage plan for Medicar and they covered both.    We had one test at a lab for $95 and was advised to file a claim.  

We had our Booster Shot done at Walgreen and they wanted our Medicare Information but had my 1st 2 shots at a County Mass Vax site and they didn't even ask for insurance coverage.

I plan on filing a claim for my Abbott home Proctored Tests.

12 hours ago, Fouremco said:

There have been numerous posts from Canadians who have used Walgreens free of charge. Don provides inaccurate information on occasion, and this would be a good example.

We recently had Canadian visitors.  The were given Covid tests at no charge. Simply gave name, email and a local address.  They used our address.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Totally agree.    As a country, we've really been behind the eight ball when it comes to testing.  It is shameful that most stores are out of home test kits.    It should be much easier for Americans to get tested.

Our county has 6 testing sites.  Open 10 hours a day.  Appointments only -- but site nearest us had 140 Appointments open for tomorrow.   All free.

18 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Free testing just about anywhere! The US has already administered over 2 million tests per every 1 million people.  It is my understanding that as the vaccines adoption grew some testing supplies production was ramped down.  (Anticipation of reduced demand). The current administration and manufacturers have corrected this issue. The capacity for administering Covid  tests is much more than needed. 

The bottom line is that although all types of tests are not available everywhere at any time, they are readily available from my experience and observation.  IMO contract tracing has always been poor.  
More testing would not hurt anything, but only if people use the results effectively.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jagoffee said:

Free testing just about anywhere! The US has already administered over 2 million tests per every 1 million people.  It is my understanding that as the vaccines adoption grew some testing supplies production was ramped down.  (Anticipation of reduced demand). The current administration and manufacturers have corrected this issue. The capacity for administering Covid  tests is much more than needed. 

The bottom line is that although all types of tests are not available everywhere at any time, they are readily available from my experience and observation.  IMO contract tracing has always been poor.  
More testing would not hurt anything, but only if people use the results effectively.

Considering COVID began in earnest in the US more than 568 days ago and any of us could have caught COVID at any time in there and a test is just one snapshot in time, only 2 tests per person over the course of the whole pandemic seems pretty low to me! But, I don't want to get too sidetracked from the original post here. Testing for cruises can still be a bit tricky with only a 48 hour window for testing and results. Some counties make rapid testing widely available, but I know from trying to get my parents tested in a rural county in PA before our cruise a few weeks ago, it can be pretty challenging in some areas.

My boss is also currently out sick. He began showing symptoms last week when he was staying at his rural cabin with his family for vacation. He had a terrible time finding testing anywhere near where they were staying. He was completely unable to find a rapid test, but did find a place to get a PCR test. That was on Friday and he didn't get his results until Monday. Thankfully, he tested negative for COVID. Unfortunately, he is still super sick. :classic_sad:

On 10/19/2021 at 11:33 AM, PTC DAWG said:

Call me crazy, but I don't think Medicare has any business paying for tests so someone can go on vacation.  IF I can't afford a test, I need to stay home.  I ordered my last tests from Emed, paid for them myself, have no intention of trying to recover the money from my Insurance Co.  

No wonder our system is all jacked up.  

Stepping off soap box.  

Since the US government. -  CDC  -  requires us to test, they should pay for it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunonfire said:

Since the US government. -  CDC  -  requires us to test, they should pay for it. 

There are countless requirements imposed on us by the government that the government doesn't pay for. I think that there are many good arguments to be made in favour of free testing, but yours isn't one of them.

We cruise in January, so I am trying to figure where to get tested. I am not worried about Medicare paying, just about us getting the test.  I was in Walgreens today to pick up an Rx (they indicate on their website they do rapid testing) and I asked at the pharmacy. The technician said they don't do rapid testing, because they can't get the supplies. 

I know I have plenty of time, but the date come up fast, when  you are unprepared.

20 minutes ago, bboop51 said:

We cruise in January, so I am trying to figure where to get tested. I am not worried about Medicare paying, just about us getting the test.  I was in Walgreens today to pick up an Rx (they indicate on their website they do rapid testing) and I asked at the pharmacy. The technician said they don't do rapid testing, because they can't get the supplies. 

I know I have plenty of time, but the date come up fast, when  you are unprepared.

Check your county's department of health site. Many counties offer free rapid testing at county-run facilities. You should also check the urgent cares in your area. Some will do rapid testing at a cost and some will have you consult with a doctor or nurse practitioner, order a COVD test, and then bill your insurance company.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Check your county's department of health site. Many counties offer free rapid testing at county-run facilities. You should also check the urgent cares in your area. Some will do rapid testing at a cost and some will have you consult with a doctor or nurse practitioner, order a COVD test, and then bill your insurance company.

Thanks, All of urgent care facilities have suspended rapid testing. It  does appear our CVS and another place about 20 minutes away does testing. I'll stay on top of it. 

3 hours ago, bboop51 said:

If you're somewhat tech savvy, you should consider the proctored at-home test that is sold by eMed and Optum.  You'll need a cell phone or a computer with a webcam and a microphone, plus you'll need to download an app.  The tests do cost some $$$ and you may or may not get reimbursed.  I'd recommend it more highly, but (1) eMed is currently out of tests and are waiting for Abbott to make more - they'll probably be back in stock in November, and (2) Optum is currently guaranteeing that the tests they're selling are good through December 15.  It would be a gamble, if you were to buy some from them now, that they would have an expiration date in January or beyond.

13 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

If you're somewhat tech savvy, you should consider the proctored at-home test that is sold by eMed and Optum.  You'll need a cell phone or a computer with a webcam and a microphone, plus you'll need to download an app.  The tests do cost some $$$ and you may or may not get reimbursed.  I'd recommend it more highly, but (1) eMed is currently out of tests and are waiting for Abbott to make more - they'll probably be back in stock in November, and (2) Optum is currently guaranteeing that the tests they're selling are good through December 15.  It would be a gamble, if you were to buy some from them now, that they would have an expiration date in January or beyond.

13 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thank you. That was my original plan. But tech has never been my friend. I though I'd get them as a back up or vice versa.  I know it's early to stress but that's who I am. Someone I know recently sailed Royal. They claimed they got a test two days before sailing and got to the port and was told the test was five hours out of time. Royal re-tested them and charged them $110 each for the test.