LIVE from the MAIDEN VOYAGE OF THE ROTTERDAM VII - TRANSATLANTIC

sansterre

47 minutes ago, Saphire said:

Cajuntraveler, we are also booked in a SS on the Rotterdam next winter. I have been trying to find out the answer to this question, because there is conflicting information. We have been in an SS on Koningsdam, and that had a tub (no shower) and a tiny separate shower. We have been in an SS on Nieuw Statendam, and that had a glorious huge shower (no tub). I am just hoping Rotterdam follows the design of the NS, but I have yet to hear from someone onboard.

Sansterre, if possible, could you try and give us a definitive answer? Thank You!

Our friends are boarding Nov 10th and they are in an SS. I will do my best to remember and let you know. We had a corner aft on the NS and loved the large shower. We have the same suite on the Rotterdam. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cajuntraveler said:

I enjoy the whirlpool bath in the SS, so I'm hoping the Rotterdam has the tub and separate shower.  

I will do my best to remember. My friends are coming in from Holland, 6 of them. With this being the first US cruise for EU travelers I am hoping that the HAL staff at the pier understands their Vax info. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sansterre,

Thank you for your answer to the Microsoft/Library question I asked. And for all of the other updates and photos you posted.

My wife and I are booked on Dec.1, 2021 for 11 nights. I am starting to assemble all that I need for our trip from Amazon and elsewhere. We are spending a few days before and after the cruise visiting friends and family all over Florida.

MrBill,

Looking forward to meeting you on our cruise.

Stay well everybody.

Jim

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sansterre said:

Just a quick note to say we received our commemorative Delft plate tonight.

plate.jpg

Lovely and a wonderful memento 👍

Glad to see there was something to remember the inaugural by.   

• Like 2

15 hours ago, nimiq said:

Hello all,

Once again thank you for this live on the Rotterdam as it makes it very interesting for us that will be cruising here soon or in the near future. 

For us  it will be soon we will be on her for Xmas and New Years 🙂

have a small question I’ve been following the MDR menu in the Navigator App that is reflecting your cruise but can’t seem to find the cheese plate anymore.  Is that the case no more cheese plate ? 

thanks 

Sea Ya 

Eric 

I asked a waiter this morning about the assorted cheese plate for dessert after dinner.  He said they have the cheese, it just isn't on the menu.

Just ask for cheese plate and they will provide.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 11/1/2021 at 1:00 PM, electricguy said:

We just booked a 13 day cruise on the Rotterdam in Jan.  Wondering if there is a 120 volt outlet in the bathroom?  Thanks for the great info and pictures of the new ship.

Here is a picture of the outlet in our bathroom.  Our room steward says it works with all shavers. 

So I think it is good for 120 volt.  Maybe others can tell for sure from seeing the photo.

Outlet.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sansterre said:

Just a quick note to say we received our commemorative Delft plate tonight.

It was on our bed when we returned from the early Jersey Tenors show.

plate.jpg

When you return home, you may want to put this in a bank's safe deposit box.  Not clear at this time if there will ever be a Rotterdam VIII.  

12 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

His last name is Hollevoet , if I remember correctly from our Zaandam cruise in2019. He asked a trivia question about that. Hollevoet means something like “ arched foot “ . Nice guy .

Hah, that was the bonus question today!   Your post helped me, but others on our team knew it too - one of our team members is a podiatrist.  Today we got a perfect score.

Here are two more questions:

What animal sleeps the most?

What state was the first to make Christmas a state holiday?

Answers:

Koala

Alabama

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

......and this photo is looking forward along the port side.  Interestingly the verandas on Deck 4 are much further out that ours on Deck 5.  So if you are looking for sun, that would be a great veranda.  But it would not be very private.

looking 0ut2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I also played BINGO today.  What a disappointment........no daubbing or punching out numbers.  It was all done for me on this electronic screen.  

I had 36 cards, played 3 games, and didn't win a thing.  It cost me $35.

Apparently the paper cards will be on board soon, maybe even next week.

Bingo!.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I know I’ve said it before but THANK YOU ALL for sharing the beautiful Rotterdam with us and all your information was well appreciated.  I won’t be sailing on her until next September but you definitely have me excited again.  Having sailed on the Koningsdam and Niewu Statendam’s inaugural transatlantic I now know the comparison or changes on all 3!

Enjoy your ongoing voyages!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sansterre said:

and here is the thermal pool (I think that is what it is called).

Spa 3.jpg

Thanks so much for taking us along on this wonderful voyage. We sail her the end of March & can’t wait to enjoy the thermal suites. This looks so great!! If you are back in the spa can you find out the cost for a 1 week pass for 2 ? Many thanks & enjoy the rest of your cruise!

2 hours ago, sansterre said:

......and this photo is looking forward along the port side.  Interestingly the verandas on Deck 4 are much further out that ours on Deck 5.  So if you are looking for sun, that would be a great veranda.  But it would not be very private.

looking 0ut2.jpg

There is ample cover under your balcony for privacy....the verandah deck is twice as deep.  But with it so deep, there's lots of room for friends!  We were on the Koningsdam in 2019, had 3 balconies side by side, and had the dividers opened between them.  We could easily fit 6 people on chairs on just one balcony.

L.

11.jpg

Edited by leerathje
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This has been a great thread!  Can you tell me if there is still a glass floor panel on the outside stairwell at the aft near the Sea View Bar, between the Lido and the Panorama decks?  I know it is on the Koningsdam....

L.

5 hours ago, leerathje said:

This has been a great thread!  Can you tell me if there is still a glass floor panel on the outside stairwell at the aft near the Sea View Bar, between the Lido and the Panorama decks?  I know it is on the Koningsdam....

L.

Unbelievable, after 14 days, I never made it to the Sea View Bar or Pool area.  It was on my list to do yesterday, but I spent the day forward.  The aft pool area is usually my "go to" area from our aft cabin for some sunshine without wind and sometimes pizza.  But with pizza on 10 midship, we never did go aft. 

However, since we will be back on board in two days, I will make a point to get there.  And I'll look for a glass floor panel.   Look for a post by this weekend here.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, sansterre said:

Unbelievable, after 14 days, I never made it to the Sea View Bar or Pool area.  It was on my list to do yesterday, but I spent the day forward.  The aft pool area is usually my "go to" area from our aft cabin for some sunshine without wind and sometimes pizza.  But with pizza on 10 midship, we never did go aft. 

However, since we will be back on board in two days, I will make a point to get there.  And I'll look for a glass floor panel.   Look for a post by this weekend here.

The aft pool area was always my "go to" spot as well, until my first Retreat cabana!  Now that's where you find me.  Part of me misses the aft pool area, but not enough to skip the Retreat.

The plexiglass insert on the little stairway exists on Koningsdam, but they did not include it on Nieuw Statendam.  An officer on the ship commented that it had disturbed some guests on K, so I assume that's why it was done away with.  My guess is you won't find it on Rotterdam either, but we'll know for sure this weekend.  Enjoy your couple of unexpected days back in FL, until you get to reboard for the next cruise!

Welcome back!

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 5

Yesterday we had another Covid Test.  They provide a time to go to Deck 1 midship.  Ours was 7:30.  We arrived a bit later and had no wait.  In 5 minutes we were out at the aft elevators and went to MDR room for breakfast.

I forgot to mention that the day previous, at the Ask the Captain session, someone asked if there were any Covid positive results on the ship.  To everyone's relief, he said everyone had tested negative.  Last night we received printed results of the Covid test, which should be helpful if required by anyone on their way home.  But I don't think flights inside the U.S. require Covid test proof, so not sure how useful the results are.

I took some photos at Ask the Captain of the engine room.  Not sure if they are all from this ship or the New Statendam.  I will post them later today as they are still on my phone.

I asked what provisions (water, fuel, food, etc.) we missed by not making the port in Azores.  The captain said we did not intend to pick up any provisions.  There were a few military that would have disembarked and the evacuated passenger was going to get back on in the Azores.  (Good news that person quickly recovered but too bad they couldn't rejoin the ship.)

I also asked about the "lending library".  The CD Rebekah said to leave them in the Book Drop and they would create an area for "give/take a book".  This being the first cruise, a space has not yet been determined, but most likely will be somewhere in the Library on Deck 2, forward.

Today DH and I will disembark between 9:30 and 10:00.  We will transfer to a hotel in Plantation for two nights, then transferred back to the ship.at 10:30 on Friday.   A covid test will be done (at no charge) at the dock, just prior to re-boarding the Rotterdam.  This 2 day delay to what was planned as a back-to-back cruise, is to allow a 2-day, complete cleaning of the ship.  The ship seems to be pretty clean already.  Since we have the same cabin for the next 5 day cruise, we can leave our things in our cabin so we only packed what we will need for the two night stay, so we are happy we don't need to pack and unpack again.

More trivia and some photos (not yet downloaded) to come.  If I forgot to answer a question, please ask it again. Many thanks to those of you who could answer questions I didn't know (like the Signature Suite question).   

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2