COVID testing after Jan 2022

travelplus

Do you think COVID testing will go away for vaccinated passengers along with mask mandates? I don't mind getting tested albeit if it's required or not but I have read that people had their tests cancelled or it took 72 hours to read the test.

My personal opinion is that there is a boat load of money being made off testing, so I don't see it going away any time soon.

Testing seems hard to acquire in certain areas, at least the two-day results in order to cruise.  Made even harder by folks making more than one appointment for fear of cancellations, etc.

As much as I would like the requirements to disappear, I think it is going to be a long while, if ever.

• Like 1

Well i certainly hope so but i havent seen the voluntary program outline yet.  My concern was more for the airline testing requirements to re-enter Canada but now that i can order an RT-LAMP proctored test to bring with me im not concerned about finding a testing facility the day i disembark.

• Like 2

If there is one single thing in the testing criteria I would like to see gone, it's the Rapid/48 hour test. A huge problem for many ,,,finding a test site, etc.  It would remove a lot of ANGST if they dropped this late in the game rule.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

Well i certainly hope so but i havent seen the voluntary program outline yet.  My concern was more for the airline testing requirements to re-enter Canada but now that i can order an RT-LAMP proctored test to bring with me im not concerned about finding a testing facility the day i disembark.

Hi kdr69

Is this something you can order in Canada? If so, could you provide an email. I have been looking into how to best get a PCR test before flying after cruise without success so far. Also, I had seen a post about a proctored test that is available, but the person who had ordered it said there was a "use before date" that would make timing of the purchase important. Would that be a concern with the test that you are planning on using?

thanks

2 hours ago, topaz123 said:

If there is one single thing in the testing criteria I would like to see gone, it's the Rapid/48 hour test. A huge problem for many ,,,finding a test site, etc.  It would remove a lot of ANGST if they dropped this late in the game rule.

I agree. I did it once for my wife and I so far when it was three days. The testing was fine. But next year I have cruises on Carnival and Celebrity for my family of four and now with the two day testing I will say it’s an inconvenience. As of 2022 I’d like to see fully vaccinated and temp checks as the boarding standard. I’m over the COVID testing pre-Cruise. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Can you please let me know where to order.  I have been going crazy trying to coordinate this.

Thanks 😊

3 hours ago, balcony bound said:

My personal opinion is that there is a boat load of money being made off testing, so I don't see it going away any time soon.

Eh, I suspect the testing will continue, but not for that reason. Yeah, the labs which make the tests make money due to testing. Perhaps the drug stores too through federal reimbursement, though it seems equally likely they consider it a headache they'd rather be rid of.

But the cruise lines and the CDC don't financially benefit, so I don't see that as the motivation to continue testing. To the contrary for the cruise lines. They'd presumably make more money without the testing, since more people would be willing to cruise. If they keep it (and it's their choice in Florida) that means they think it's still necessary to prevent further Covid problems, and the bad press that would come with it. 

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

I agree. I did it once for my wife and I so far when it was three days. The testing was fine. But next year I have cruises on Carnival and Celebrity for my family of four and now with the two day testing I will say it’s an inconvenience. As of 2022 I’d like to see fully vaccinated and temp checks as the boarding standard. I’m over the COVID testing pre-Cruise. 

Hear Hear.....We have a FEB Carnival Cruise scheduled,  We're sailing in Nov,  having to schedule a local Covid Rapid test and then rush to the airport, or do the Bimax, we have the Bimax and think we are going to try this first.  It's tough when you have a flight to Florida a few days before  sail, just the logistics are tough to bear. If you have valid documentation of Both Covid shots, this Rapid Test  would seem to be a bit of an overkill and certainly a lot of strain for those who are already fully  vaccinated.  Looks like Carnival is sticking with the Pre Sail Test in Feb, so I think we will cancel and  reschedule sometime next fall. Just TOO MUCH !!!

Edited by topaz123

9 hours ago, travelplus said:

Do you think COVID testing will go away for vaccinated passengers along with mask mandates? I don't mind getting tested albeit if it's required or not but I have read that people had their tests cancelled or it took 72 hours to read the test.

I'm doubting seriously that testing will ever go by the wayside.  As things move-slowly-from a pandemic to an epidemic( like the flu season), we may see some relaxation.  But as long as variants surface and as long as even with a vaccine you can be vulnerable to COVID, testing will continue.

Hopefully they dump the testing for fully vaccinated folks soon. With kids being able to get vaccinated soon, as early as next Tue possibly, plus many of us that already got boosters, it may be time to ease up on testing again for vaccinated folks and shed the masking nonsense. I'm hoping spring ushers in cruising of old without the extra hassles.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi kdr69

Is this something you can order in Canada? If so, could you provide an email. I have been looking into how to best get a PCR test before flying after cruise without success so far. Also, I had seen a post about a proctored test that is available, but the person who had ordered it said there was a "use before date" that would make timing of the purchase important. Would that be a concern with the test that you are planning on using?

thanks

https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/.  I dont actually need the test until March so im hoping testing requirements are gone by then and if not then i will look at the use before date at that time.

• Thanks 1