Need Hotel near FCO with airport shuttle

SUESEABE

I have flight booked early morning from FCO day after cruise ends in Civetivechia back to Pittsburgh and want to stay near airport at hotel with shuttle in morning for easy transportation to flight. Any suggestions appreciated.  Thanks.

As the above poster mentions, the Hilton Garden is also located on the airport grounds although not attached like her pricier sister hotel. The shuttle runs continuously (less frequently late at night) and drops off at all of the airport terminals. The rooms are generous in size and often prices are quite good.

Also, I don't know when your cruise is taking place, but just read a report from someone who returned home via FCO airport and said the terminal was chaotic -- had to show passport and ID multiple times.  I would plan on being at the airport at least the full 3 hours in advance of your flight that is usually recommended, even if your flight is one of the first ones in the morning....

• Like 2

I've always stayed at the Hilton FCO that is attached to the airport.  If you are an HHonors member at a level that gives lounge access, it had a nice evening setup of foods and a nice morning breakfast.  Now this was pre-CoVID, so I don't know how it is now.  I do know some lounges drastically changed food & bev offerings.  I'm HHonors gold and I was always treated well - I seemed to get upgraded each time.  I liked that 10 minute walk to the terminal first thing in the morning - it got me going for the day.   It's a flat walk through the parking arcade.  

• Like 1

Thank you very much for all of the informative replies. Our flight out of Rome FCO is May 23, 2022 so maybe things will be calmer then (I can hope). I am a Hilton Honors member so that will work out nicely. 

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

I've always stayed at the Hilton FCO that is attached to the airport.  If you are an HHonors member at a level that gives lounge access, it had a nice evening setup of foods and a nice morning breakfast.  Now this was pre-CoVID, so I don't know how it is now.  I do know some lounges drastically changed food & bev offerings.  I'm HHonors gold and I was always treated well - I seemed to get upgraded each time.  I liked that 10 minute walk to the terminal first thing in the morning - it got me going for the day.   It's a flat walk through the parking arcade.  

Pre Covid the breakfast buffet was free to Diamonds, and was an really excellent buffet.

I am planning to stay in Ostia on my next trip with flight out of FCO.  It's close to the airport, near the Ostia Antica ruins and sea shore, and some hotels have shuttles.  It should be more interesting to fill the time between your cruise and dinner than reliving The Terminal...

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I am planning to stay in Ostia on my next trip with flight out of FCO.  It's close to the airport, near the Ostia Antica ruins and sea shore, and some hotels have shuttles.  It should be more interesting to fill the time between your cruise and dinner than reliving The Terminal...

That is a great plan if the flight is not too early.  Good restaurants in Ostia. Pleasant town.

On 10/31/2021 at 7:22 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Good plan :).  We tend to prefer nearby Fiumcino but either town works if you have a flight out of FCO.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 3:23 PM, slidergirl said:

We're looking to go from the port to likely this hotel (airport Hilton) with up to 3 bags of luggage (if we can't reduce it to two for our transatlantic) plus a carry on.  Upon arrival in Civitavecchia, we would hopefully find a cart or just wheel the luggage to the train, change in Rome (unless there is a direct train) then once off the train find a luggage cart to wheel our luggage to the hotel, and hopefully use the same cart the next the morning to get the luggage to check in. Is this a reasonable thing to hope to do, or will there be obstacles in our path like stairs, etc?

Our other thought is if there is a shuttle service/bus normally available (aside from the cruise ship transfer) to take us to the airport dropoff, then find a cart and go to the Hotel from the departure dropoff. Any opinions welcome!

1 hour ago, WestfieldTraveler said:

We're looking to go from the port to likely this hotel (airport Hilton) with up to 3 bags of luggage (if we can't reduce it to two for our transatlantic) plus a carry on.  Upon arrival in Civitavecchia, we would hopefully find a cart or just wheel the luggage to the train, change in Rome (unless there is a direct train) then once off the train find a luggage cart to wheel our luggage to the hotel, and hopefully use the same cart the next the morning to get the luggage to check in. Is this a reasonable thing to hope to do, or will there be obstacles in our path like stairs, etc?

Our other thought is if there is a shuttle service/bus normally available (aside from the cruise ship transfer) to take us to the airport dropoff, then find a cart and go to the Hotel from the departure dropoff. Any opinions welcome!

Book a private transfer,  we love Stefano’s Rome Cabs.  The transfer from the ship on a bus, to a meeting point, then another bus to the train station, possibly crossing stairs under the tracks, hoisting the luggage onto racks, a long walk in Rome Termini, and another train followed by another long walk to the hotel is not something I would even consider and we travel much lighter.  

6 hours ago, WestfieldTraveler said:

Unless saving $100 (or less) is worth a lot of grief, you would be much better off taking a taxi or a pre-arranged transfer from your ship to the Hilton.  In fact, if the money is that important change your Hilton reservation to the Hilton Garden Inn which should save you enough money to get a private transfer.  Using the train when you have luggage is no fun.  You will need to haul your luggage through several train stations, on and off trains, onto luggage racks at the end of train cars (and then make sure that nobody steals your luggage), change trains, and then once at FCO you still have a hike to get to the Hilton (or you need to wait for a shuttle if you follow my HIlton Garden Inn idea).    And using trains also means waiting to get a shuttle out of the port, changing to another bus to get to the train station, etc etc.  All this takes a lot of time and wastes hours of your day.  With a transfer directly to your hotel you should be checked-in by 10 or 10:30 and then can then can head to Rome for the day.

As to a shuttle to the airport, there will be some kind of paid bus transportation to the airport.  Depending on your cruise line and current pricing this might save you a few dollars over just doing a private transfer or a taxi.   But the bus transfer does make more sense then trying to deal with trains.  And for the record I have used these trains many times and also understand the logistics of getting from the ship to the Largo della Pace transfer point where you have to pay and then board another bus to get you to the train station.  Yes, you can do it with the train idea but I would not recommend it unless you are traveling very light and do not care about wasting a couple of extra hours just getting to your hotel.

Hank

19 hours ago, WestfieldTraveler said:

This is insane. You will be throwing yourselves on the tracks before you get there. 

Please find alternate methods of going to the airport as others have posted above.  It is only a 50 minute ride from the port to the airport.  You will then have plenty of time to enjoy the day in Rome or Ostia or anywhere else you wish to go.

• Like 2

Thanks to bennybear for the private transfer referral. Stefano Rome cabs looks like a safe and quality company. Do you usually pay for your Rome airport transfers in euros  directly to your driver on the date of transfer or prepay in advance with paypal or credit card online when you make your transfer request?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SUESEABE said:

Thanks to bennybear for the private transfer referral. Stefano Rome cabs looks like a safe and quality company. Do you usually pay for your Rome airport transfers in euros  directly to your driver on the date of transfer or prepay in advance with paypal or credit card online when you make your transfer request?

IIRC they take a credit card to hold the booking but we paid in Euros.   I would  double check as this was precovid.   We’ve used them many times and have never been disappointed.  The only suggestion I have is to book early as they are very popular.  Last time we used them to also do a tour on a back to back of Cerveteri and a castle on Lake Bracciano. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2021 at 12:23 PM, slidergirl said:

Has anyone stayed there Post Covid to verify if amenities have changed?  Do they still run a shuttle to downtown Rome?

1 hour ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Has anyone stayed there Post Covid to verify if amenities have changed?  Do they still run a shuttle to downtown Rome?

There is a notice on their website that they have temporarily suspended their shuttle to Rome city center due to COVID. No word on when that will change.

I stayed at Hilton Rome Airport in 2019.  This hotel is attached to FCO.  I took a Princess post cruise excursion (that had a tour of Rome not the transfer) that dropped us off at the airport mid afternoon.  We found a luggage cart and walked through the airport to the elevator up for the Hilton.  Walked under a covered walkway with 3 (?) moving walkways to an elevator down to street and a few steps to the hotel.  We ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel.  We walked back to the airport the next morning for our morning flight.

TAKE a luggage cart as it is a long walk to the hotel.  We pushed the luggage cart into our room as we did not see any carts on the way to the hotel and wanted to make sure we had one in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 6:22 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

We will have one night after our cruise to spend prior to leaving to go back to the States in October 2022. Have you looked at places to stay for one night? Any recommendations? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

We will have one night after our cruise to spend prior to leaving to go back to the States in October 2022. Have you looked at places to stay for one night? Any recommendations? Thanks!

This trip is going to be pushed into 2024, but the hotel I was planning to use is:

Hotel La Scaletta [TA 4.5▲ #1 of 8 in Lido di Ostia]

Lungomare Paolo Toscanelli 130, Ostia, Rome 00121

+39 06 5672522

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...