Ice Skates

yes, we saw plenty of people (kids, mostly) who had their own skates on the Allure.

There were MANY people on the ice during all sessions who can't skate, and a skating rink is much smaller than the hockey one at home, so practicing may not be quite like what you envision. At least, during the holiday sailing, even with under 100% capacity.

• Like 1

Our kids have brought their skates in the past... a direct result of "what brand is rental - these are awful!" comment from my then-nine year old.  lol.

And the bonus is they usually have theirs on first and get a few minutes of ice to themselves to rocket around.

My kids always want to take their own skates with them. They both play ice hockey and the skates provided aren't that great. Like said, the rink is quite small and it get easily crowded. You can't really practise there. For what it seems like, it's the first time on skates for many and there are people falling etc. Even if you know how to skate there just isn't enough room to do that safely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Salo said:

My kids always want to take their own skates with them. They both play ice hockey and the skates provided aren't that great. Like said, the rink is quite small and it get easily crowded. You can't really practise there. For what it seems like, it's the first time on skates for many and there are people falling etc. Even if you know how to skate there just isn't enough room to do that safely.

I don’t plan on doing a full out routine lol. But doing a spin or a jump here and there doesn’t take up any more space than someone pushing forward. In fact, it’s probably less space consumed. 

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

yes, we saw plenty of people (kids, mostly) who had their own skates on the Allure.

There were MANY people on the ice during all sessions who can't skate, and a skating rink is much smaller than the hockey one at home, so practicing may not be quite like what you envision. At least, during the holiday sailing, even with under 100% capacity.

I figure skate - the hockey players are the real nemesis at a public skate lol. Just practicing single elements or spins - no big full rink programs or anything. 

26 minutes ago, Rosy Season said:

I figure skate - the hockey players are the real nemesis at a public skate lol. Just practicing single elements or spins - no big full rink programs or anything. 

The hockey rink size was for size comparison. 🙂 I think they want people to keep moving in a circle and not do elements in the middle. Definitely no jumps because you can hurt a child, and they don't want to be liable.

The rink on the ship is maybe half the size of a regular rink and has 30+ people on it at a time, mostly little kids who are getting underfoot, and, perhaps, 5 of them know how to skate. My child was NOT the latter during our 2019 cruise - it was his first time, but he loved it, so I signed him up for classes when we came back.

We are not bringing his skates - too heavy, and we have a suitcase weight limit.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

25 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

The hockey rink size was for size comparison. 🙂 I think they want people to keep moving in a circle and not do elements in the middle. Definitely no jumps because you can hurt a child, and they don't want to be liable.

The rink on the ship is maybe half the size of a regular rink and has 30+ people on it at a time, mostly little kids who are getting underfoot, and, perhaps, 5 of them know how to skate. My child was NOT the latter during our 2019 cruise - it was his first time, but he loved it, so I signed him up for classes when we came back.

We are not bringing his skates - too heavy, and we have a suitcase weight limit.

I’m driving to our first one and I’ll bring them with me.  Idk if I would take them on a flight.  I’d have to carry them on (which they allow!) because they are way too expensive to check.  Elements meaning, 3 turns, Mohawks, crossovers - all of those can be done in a circle…I’m not talking crazy Olympic style stuff.  Just enough to keep the skating muscles warm.  If they don’t allow it I’m sure they’ll tell me.

I’m just saying that hockey players are usually the one wrecking havoc at public skates.  They tend to be the reckless skaters - not the figure skaters.  And the ones that tear up the ice.

I’m so glad he loved it!!  It is addictive 🙂

Edited by Rosy Season
  • Like 1

The Ice rink is more of a novelty.

Not something for a serious skater unless they want to show off.

It is small a crowded with small kids and skate times are fairly limited.

Your not going to be able to practice.

There are plenty of rules which basically impeades any sort of fun.

It's like the scuba diver lugging his own tanks on the ship for a 1 hour dive...

• Like 1

We were just on the Mariner. There were no ice skating free skate periods. They only had their ice show. We have also been on the Ovation where they had North Star and iFly closed due to Covid. So what it was and what it is are now two different things. I don't even plan to get off the ship at all since that also seems extremely subject to change.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

It's like the scuba diver lugging his own tanks on the ship for a 1 hour dive...

I agree. 

4 hours ago, ustasmom said:

We were just on the Mariner. There were no ice skating free skate periods. They only had their ice show. We have also been on the Ovation where they had North Star and iFly closed due to Covid. So what it was and what it is are now two different things. I don't even plan to get off the ship at all since that also seems extremely subject to change.

Covid =  A business's ultimate excuse to offer less but charge more....

On 11/5/2021 at 8:28 AM, matj2000 said:

I wouldn’t say I’m a serious skater. There are all kinds of levels in between holding on to the wall and doing triple axels. 

My daughter was a competitive high level figure skater,

She was fascinated with the idea of skating on board ship and, as we were driving to port, we packed her skates.

At the time ice sessions were offered label  "experienced skaters with their own skates." 

Unfortunately that included grade school boys with hockey skates that careened around the ice without regard to others. 

While you might get in a few twizzles, Mohawks or crossovers,  a three turn may be a problem (remember the other skaters with no ice etiquette).

She didn't bother with her skates or the ice sessions on any following cruises.

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

My daughter was a competitive high level figure skater,

She was fascinated with the idea of skating on board ship and, as we were driving to port, we packed her skates.

At the time ice sessions were offered label  "experienced skaters with their own skates." 

Unfortunately that included grade school boys with hockey skates that careened around the ice without regard to others. 

While you might get in a few twizzles, Mohawks or crossovers,  a three turn may be a problem (remember the other skaters with no ice etiquette).

She didn't bother with her skates or the ice sessions on any following cruises.

If I get in Mohawks and crossovers then I’ll be happy lol.  I just don’t want to be away from the ice for two weeks because that is a real pain to come back to!

I imagine for a high level figure skater it would be totally worthless to use the ice rink.  I’m nowhere near that level and just keeping the muscles warm is enough for me.  Although I refuse to use loaner skates - I’d be hanging on to the wall in those too!

On 11/4/2021 at 4:48 PM, Rosy Season said:

I don’t plan on doing a full out routine lol. But doing a spin or a jump here and there doesn’t take up any more space than someone pushing forward. In fact, it’s probably less space consumed. 

I think those type of moves are not allowed.

8 minutes ago, molsonschooner said:

I think those type of moves are not allowed.

Plenty of other more benign moves like crossovers, Mohawks etc that are simply going with the flow.  I'll find out unless anyone has the posted rules here?  My assumption is skating backwards is not allowed.

Edited by Rosy Season

4 hours ago, Rosy Season said:

If I get in Mohawks and crossovers then I’ll be happy lol.  I just don’t want to be away from the ice for two weeks because that is a real pain to come back to!

I imagine for a high level figure skater it would be totally worthless to use the ice rink.  I’m nowhere near that level and just keeping the muscles warm is enough for me.  Although I refuse to use loaner skates - I’d be hanging on to the wall in those too!

Check out Jordan at 8:00 she starts her warm up for cast .add 30 kids out there 🤔

I've never been on a ship with a skating rink. If the next ship has a rink and public skating  do you think they will let me wear my ice hockey goaltending gear? Not for practice mind you, I'll need all the padding to protect myself from all the kids and the newbies.  💥

Edited by DirtyDawg